Summer talk : Who's our best candidate as Earl's replacement

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tical21":2f7wherc said:
Maybe he's there to show the kids how it is done. We're going to get a 3rd for him anyways, why give that away to move up a round?
Show how what's done? It's already established he's not a vocal leader. He keeps to himself. The coaches were trying to get him to step up and be a vocal leader last year when Kam went down. Luckily, Kam spent extra time with McDougald, even at Kam's house, none the less.

So it begs the question; what is Earl showing the young guys how to get done? Is he still some sort of example as a Seahawk and as a teammate? Hell, in the past two weeks he's thumbed up a Cowboys fan wanting him to come to Dallas and then yesterday he does the same to a different Cowboys fan and then replies to him, "America's team str8 truth."

Getting word to schnieder before the draft that he'll be in camp and then saying he's holding out after the draft. Draft impact?

Come get me.

Throwinga teammate under the bus publically when he himself didn't do his own job in the same damn game.

How in the entire #$@$ is Earl Thomas an example for our young players?

Tical21

Reaction score
If we're trying to train a cover-3 safety, who better to watch every day and compare your reactions to than one of the best that has ever done it? If we're trying to train young corners about how to communicate and play with your safeties, doesn't it make sense to have an expert in playing in the cover-3 defense helping to direct traffic? He's always been a GREAT communicator ON the field.

Don't you want to show your young kids what a warrior looks like? What it looks like to play every down with your hair on fire?

Surely there is one round of value in there, and then you don't have to trade him to a potential NFC playoff team that is a safety short.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tical21":f39a5b94 said:
If we're trying to train a cover-3 safety, who better to watch every day and compare your reactions to than one of the best that has ever done it? If we're trying to train young corners about how to communicate and play with your safeties, doesn't it make sense to have an expert in playing in the cover-3 defense helping to direct traffic? He's always been a GREAT communicator ON the field.

Don't you want to show your young kids what a warrior looks like? What it looks like to play every down with your hair on fire?

Surely there is one round of value in there, and then you don't have to trade him to a potential NFC playoff team that is a safety short.
Help direct traffic? Train who? He doesn't do any of that. Show them what a warrior looks like? It's the NFL where alphas are the majority. As an example, since Earl keeps to himself and isn't a vocal leader or have anything to do with on field adjustments, the aforementioned value can be learned from tape.

adeltaY

Reaction score
None of us is in the film room so what we've got to go on is hearsay and not much of that tbh. If we ever had all or nothing it would've been really cool to see exactly what the dynamic was. Too late now.

Tical21

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1sa2uctd said:
Tical21":1sa2uctd said:

Help direct traffic? Train who? He doesn't do any of that. Show them what a warrior looks like? It's the NFL where alphas are the majority. As an example, since Earl keeps to himself and isn't a vocal leader or have anything to do with on field adjustments, the aforementioned value can be learned from tape.
Are we talking about the same player? Literally, none of that is true. Are you trying to disagree that Earl plays with more intensity than anyone else on the team? Doesn't have anything to do with on-field adjustments. Doesn't help direct traffic. Doesn't train anyone. Watch coach's tape sometime.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":tbzy42b3 said:
lukerguy":tbzy42b3 said:
Earl is a ball hawk. You can't teach instinct.

Can you teach hands? Because Earl has probably dropped twenty easy interceptions in his career.

For that matter, it seemed like Sherman dropped more picks than he caught the past couple of years as well.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tical21":1nx8mxny said:
vin.couve12":1nx8mxny said:
Tical21":1nx8mxny said:

Are we talking about the same player? Literally, none of that is true. Are you trying to disagree that Earl plays with more intensity than anyone else on the team? Doesn't have anything to do with on-field adjustments. Doesn't help direct traffic. Doesn't train anyone. Watch coach's tape sometime.
Plays with more intensity than anyone on the team? That's just BS man worship. And he is not a vocal leader. He's an odd duck that keeps to himself. Watch last year's McDougald press conf and there are also various reports of this. Also, watching tape doesn't mean he trains others. McDougald is now more of a leader than Thomas ever has been in half a season.

Now, explain how a FS making adjustments at the CLink is even feasible with the crowd cranked up. This should be good....let alone how he admittedly took queues from Kam.

Tical21

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3gwba2q8 said:
Tical21":3gwba2q8 said:
vin.couve12":3gwba2q8 said:
Tical21":3gwba2q8 said:

Plays with more intensity than anyone on the team? That's just BS man worship. And he is not a vocal leader. He's an odd duck that keeps to himself. Watch last year's McDougald press conf and there are also various reports of this. Also, watching tape doesn't mean he trains others. McDougald is now more of a leader than Thomas ever has been in half a season.

Now, explain how a FS making adjustments at the CLink is even feasible with the crowd cranked up. This should be good....let alone how he admittedly took queues from Kam.
I think you're the only person around that would claim he isn't the most intense Seahawk. I guess you could get a Jarran Reed vote every now and again.

You act like he's standing out there in the deep third of the defense, separated and not talking to anybody. Watch the tape. He spends all game sending signals and is talking to his teammates after almost every play. I could be wrong, but I don't think I'm the one here whose bias is preventing a correct assessment.

Boycie

Reaction score
chris98251":2unm5zyx said:
vin.couve12":2unm5zyx said:
hawknation2018":2unm5zyx said:
vin.couve12":2unm5zyx said:
He's got a few good ones here and there. I wouldn't accuse him of being a hitter though. Seen him wrecked by RBs one too many times.

LOL, so bitter. If Earl hadn't made the dumb Dallas overture, you would never make such a silly comment.
Clearly you haven't followed. At no point have I ever said that ET is the best safety and I've always maintained that it's questionable that he's top 5 and at no point has he been the best safety on his own team since Kam started. He's a cover 3 safety more than 50% of the time of his entire career. He is NOT a single high safety. He plays in the most conservative base defense in the NFL and that's a fact. Cover 3 is harder on the backers/nickel and SS because of the ground they have to cover on faster throws, hence why dink and dunk works against the Hawks. You have only 4 guys in short coverage vs 5 in cover 2. You have 3 guys deep vs only 2 in cover 2.

Earl has the 1st round effect. The only player who is more overrated by that same effect is Luke Keuchly, who is the best pass coverage backer, but has severe weaknesses at the POA. That's why the Panthers spend so much on DTs. Or did rather...

Earl is and always has been overrated. Paying him what he wants is dumb as a rock. You will never find a post from me talking about how good/great Earl is.

No, the bitterness is yours.

So to shorten this up.

Earl is a product of the system and not even our best safety including a injured Kam.

I am no expert, but wasn't a lot of Earl's success due to the positioning that Kam would have them make pre snap?

Again, I'm not an expert here but I thought I had read that or seen this stated somewhere?

chris98251

Reaction score
Kam made a lot of the calls for the secondary coverage and alignment working with Wags.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sooo Earl is pretty replaceable then? If that's true, why wouldn't they trade him for a 4th or just cut him if he doesn't want to be here?

Tical21

Reaction score
Not sure how much we can hold it against Earl that he wasn't tasked with making the secondary calls. Pete's always had the SS do it. Doesn't mean communication isn't required from the other positions.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Tical21":8jihlz0b said:
Not sure how much we can hold it against Earl that he wasn't tasked with making the secondary calls. Pete's always had the SS do it. Doesn't mean communication isn't required from the other positions.

I agree with what you said earlier tical I've seen multiple plays where Earl made hand motions and was doing some kind of signaling. I'm sure he had some part in defensive adjustments.

Latest posts