Summer talk : Who's our best candidate as Earl's replacement

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2018":g8fyt4il said:
vin.couve12":g8fyt4il said:
SoulfishHawk":g8fyt4il said:
Ask Gronk if ET can hit
He's got a few good ones here and there. I wouldn't accuse him of being a hitter though. Seen him wrecked by RBs one too many times.

LOL, so bitter. If Earl hadn't made the dumb Dallas overture, you would never make such a silly comment.
Clearly you haven't followed. At no point have I ever said that ET is the best safety and I've always maintained that it's questionable that he's top 5 and at no point has he been the best safety on his own team since Kam started. He's a cover 3 safety more than 50% of the time of his entire career. He is NOT a single high safety. He plays in the most conservative base defense in the NFL and that's a fact. Cover 3 is harder on the backers/nickel and SS because of the ground they have to cover on faster throws, hence why dink and dunk works against the Hawks. You have only 4 guys in short coverage vs 5 in cover 2. You have 3 guys deep vs only 2 in cover 2.

Earl has the 1st round effect. The only player who is more overrated by that same effect is Luke Keuchly, who is the best pass coverage backer, but has severe weaknesses at the POA. That's why the Panthers spend so much on DTs. Or did rather...

Earl is and always has been overrated. Paying him what he wants is dumb as a rock. You will never find a post from me talking about how good/great Earl is.

No, the bitterness is yours.

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3oy4e1t8 said:
hawknation2018":3oy4e1t8 said:
vin.couve12":3oy4e1t8 said:
SoulfishHawk":3oy4e1t8 said:
Ask Gronk if ET can hit
He's got a few good ones here and there. I wouldn't accuse him of being a hitter though. Seen him wrecked by RBs one too many times.

LOL, so bitter. If Earl hadn't made the dumb Dallas overture, you would never make such a silly comment.
Clearly you haven't followed. At no point have I ever said that ET is the best safety and I've always maintained that it's questionable that he's top 5 and at no point has he been the best safety on his own team since Kam started. He's a cover 3 safety more than 50% of the time of his entire career. He is NOT a single high safety. He plays in the most conservative base defense in the NFL and that's a fact. Cover 3 is harder on the backers/nickel and SS because of the ground they have to cover on faster throws, hence why dink and dunk works against the Hawks. You have only 4 guys in short coverage vs 5 in cover 2. You have 3 guys deep vs only 2 in cover 2.

Earl has the 1st round effect. The only player who is more overrated by that same effect is Luke Keuchly, who is the best pass coverage backer, but has severe weaknesses at the POA. That's why the Panthers spend so much on DTs. Or did rather...

Earl is and always has been overrated. Paying him what he wants is dumb as a rock. You will never find a post from me talking about how good/great Earl is.

So to shorten this up.

Earl is a product of the system and not even our best safety including a injured Kam.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
chris98251":yoih8680 said:
vin.couve12":yoih8680 said:
hawknation2018":yoih8680 said:
vin.couve12":yoih8680 said:

So to shorten this up.

Earl is a product of the system and not even our best safety including a injured Kam.
Including an injured Kam? What are you talking about?

Anyway, cover 3 is very favorable for big corners and the FS, yes. Even Sherm wouldn't be the best corner of his generation if he were playing cover 1 all the time (that's man for corners). Cover 1 was exactly what was asked of Maxwell when he went to Philly, for instance. Didn't turn out so well. Of course, only Chip Kelly is dumb enough to play cover 1 base defense in the NFL without the extreme athletic talent it takes to run it. Denver pulled it off because they had the horses and, more importantly, a dominant pass rush. The latter is actually more important than any coverage, but that's neither here nor there. Earl is very good. His getting from A to Z has been awesome. He's just not this great revolutionary player that he's touted to be. Not to the point of 13 mil for a cover 3 FS anyway. I wouldn't even go 8 mil at this point in his career.

lukerguy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":13ydjmre said:
No,wait...ET is a generational talent. We should get a 1st round pick for him. ;)

We should, and FO agreed, which is why he's still a Seahawk. The Cowboys reportedly offered a 3rd or 4th to which the Seahawks laughed.. And they'd laugh at you too for suggesting he's worth a 3rd.

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":20yzv9b9 said:
chris98251":20yzv9b9 said:
vin.couve12":20yzv9b9 said:
hawknation2018":20yzv9b9 said:

So to shorten this up.

Including an injured Kam? What are you talking about?

Anyway, cover 3 is very favorable for big corners and the FS, yes. Even Sherm wouldn't be the best corner of his generation if he were playing cover 1 all the time (that's man for corners). Cover 1 was exactly what was asked of Maxwell when he went to Philly, for instance. Didn't turn out so well. Of course, only Chip Kelly is dumb enough to play cover 1 base defense in the NFL without the extreme athletic talent it takes to run it. Denver pulled it off because they had the horses and, more importantly, a dominant pass rush. The latter is actually more important than any coverage, but that's neither here nor there. Earl is very good. His getting from A to Z has been awesome. He's just not this great revolutionary player that he's touted to be. Not to the point of 13 mil for a cover 3 FS anyway. I wouldn't even go 8 mil at this point in his career.

At no point have I ever said that ET is the best safety and I've always maintained that it's questionable that he's top 5 and at no point has he been the best safety on his own team since Kam started

Right here you stated that Earl was not even the best Safety on the team since Kam started, Kam is still officially on the team, and Kam actually plays more a LB more then a typical SS. More of the 4th LB in our hybrid 4-3, 3-4 scheme.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
That depends purely on down and distance, situatuonal football. Kam was the chess peice that had the talent to move around and play multiple spots and, subsequently, why we didn't have a real need to backfil for Bruce Irvin. That luxury is gone and that's why Mingo and his competition will be important this year. Kam played anywhere from centerfield to strong side force edge.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
lukerguy":198xggfk said:
Earl is a ball hawk. You can't teach instinct.

Can you teach hands? Because Earl has probably dropped twenty easy interceptions in his career.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Lacking a ready FS standing by to replace Earl should worry 12s. Apparently Mike Tyson is in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":xfiyy1b4 said:
lukerguy":xfiyy1b4 said:

Can you teach hands? Because Earl has probably dropped twenty easy interceptions in his career.

Gotta agree. I laughed when he threw his name in the mix for punt return a couple seasons ago. That went all of about 3 tries before Pete woke up.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":txj9mw25 said:
lukerguy":txj9mw25 said:

Got a valid point there.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Yes, you cant teach hands...and, no, Earl doesn't have any... but I'll take being in the right spot 95% of the time, sure tackler, and relentless motor over hands in a DB any day of the week.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I dunno but it seems he has good enough hands to me...some of those catches he made aren't easy to make.

[youtube]vQ6s1IxjXXk[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
He has hard hands, not natural at catching at all, even doing returns he seemed to fight catching the football. He will make some plays but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Yeah hard hands the kind that will knock the ball out right as you think your going in for a touchdown. He's been a good player for the Hawks would hate to see him go. If he's going to become a distraction or sink the term by way of a long term guaranteed contract though either play him on the tag a couple years or sign and trade. If thats the case thanks for the years of service and best of luck.

Seafan

Reaction score
toffee":1xqtmsk3 said:
Lacking a ready FS standing by to replace Earl should worry 12s. Apparently Mike Tyson is in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bigger question is how do the Hawks value Earl and their current group of safeties.

McDougald is the fall back plan but a couple guys will be given the chance to be the starter if Earl doesn't return. Thompson, Tyson and possibly Hill. I want to see Earl return for at least one more season but that doesn't look likely.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
For what? Why? What do you think you're going to net gain from Earl for one season? Has he ever been a bigtime playmaker in the playoffs when it mattered? Our playoff playmakers have been pass rushers, Wags, Kam (SB and NFCG in particular) and Sherm.

Earl Thomas does not net a SB and therefore one more year stinks of "Don't leave me, girl." desperation and only serves to stunt growth of other candidates.

It's done. It's over.

Tical21

Reaction score
Maybe he's there to show the kids how it is done. We're going to get a 3rd for him anyways, why give that away to move up a round?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3as9cq8k said:
Maybe he's there to show the kids how it is done. We're going to get a 3rd for him anyways, why give that away to move up a round?

But, what if we got a straight across trade for someone else?