STOP BLAMING BEVELL!

emurri

Reaction score
seahawks08":2takye52 said:
10 empty back formations today, all of loss of yards, really how many times do you need to try an empty back formation when you know their DL is nasty quick. Never converted even one and took sacks. Come on Bevell, if the play is not working, stop calling it.

I have to agree with this. Bevell is what Bevell is and it can work when the defense is dominate but when they are not Bevell's poor decisions are going to be even more disastrous. I am not one that hates on Bevell but that statistic is very revealing.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
justafan":hxsfxcio said:
brimsalabim":hxsfxcio said:
justafan":hxsfxcio said:
austinslater25":hxsfxcio said:
A run out of shotgun right at donald? Bevell is an idiot.

Um thats kinda how the Zone read is run.Its never the players fault for a failure.Its always the playcall

well they had the zone read covered so... yes the fault was in the play call.

Did everyone execute the way they were supposed to?
Did Wilson even make the right read?
None of us really know how many plays were blown up by lack of execution,talent,or intelligence.
I bet very few plays actually were executed like they were drawn up.[/quote

um you didn't watch the play did you? Russell made the right read because the Ram DE's stayed home and took away his option.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I don't even know how to respond to this. How easy do you think it would be to play defense against a team that had 3 plays? How easy would it be to beat a team that continuously kicks field goals instead of scoring touchdowns?

Yes, the Hawks didn't perform very well in other aspects of the game but Bevell is the problem.

We play the Rams twice a year and our offense has looked the same every time we play them.

Why would anyone support this clown is beyond me.

justafan

Reaction score
I watched it.I dont feel like watching it again though.I would bet money more than 1 person screwed up there assignment.And if not our strength got beat by there strength.thats the way it goes

White Devil

Reaction score
kujohawk":1tni0c58 said:
Fullbacks are handy guys to use sometimes especially in running situations. But I guess not as good as having four wide receivers running around boy that fools them a lot.

If this isn't a direct quote from Bevell I'd be surprised.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I'm not a Bevell apologist but the bubble screen is to get the ball into the hand of a playmaker and stop RW from holding it until he takes a damn sack.

OpHawk

Reaction score
Bevell is a joke. No amount of excuse making will neutralize that. Clear as day in front of our eyes.

White Devil

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3m337kr9 said:
I'm not a Bevell apologist but the bubble screen is to get the ball into the hand of a playmaker and stop RW from holding it until he takes a damn sack.

so run it what? 15, 20 times?

It works when the CB's play off the receiver. But they don't play off the receiver because they know it's a 50-50 shot of being a bubble screen. The CB's were breaking on every single short route. There wasn't an attempt at a single double move which would get the CB to respect the call. THAT is why the playcalling is stale and why Bevell gets the blame he gets.

I can almost guarantee that it would be different with Cable calling the plays. It would probably be much closer to the ground and pound play action that this team used on their way to winning a Super Bowl. Bevell is calling plays like he did with Brett Favre at Minnesota. This offense is not that team and he can't adjust.

justafan

Reaction score
It doesnt matter who the OC or DC is.Every team that loss today is blaming one of them and wanting someone fired.
And i am sure there are the few who predicted every play before it was called.probably even knew the terminology used to call the play as it was happening.
If they fire both offensive masterminds im fine.It wont help until you get players who will execute the plays and win the individual matchups though

justafan

Reaction score
White Devil":307zdfo2 said:
TheRealDTM":307zdfo2 said:

so run it what? 15, 20 times?

It works when the CB's play off the receiver. But they don't play off the receiver because they know it's a 50-50 shot of being a bubble screen. The CB's were breaking on every single short route. There wasn't an attempt at a single double move which would get the CB to respect the call. THAT is why the playcalling is stale and why Bevell gets the blame he gets.

I can almost guarantee that it would be different with Cable calling the plays. It would probably be much closer to the ground and pound play action that this team used on their way to winning a Super Bowl. Bevell is calling plays like he did with Brett Favre at Minnesota. This offense is not that team and he can't adjust.

I would l;ove the ground and pound.Who is going to draft and coach the Oline.Cable is better off back in Oakland.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":bap0acne said:
My main point is firing Bevell is not the cure-all so many people here seem to think it is, and competent O-line play would do more for us than a new play caller. I just don't get why Bevell gets so much more hate than Cable, who is way more revered than he should be.
Because he sucks worse than Cable......and I don't hold Cable blameless....

He is the worst OC and in the league IMHO, and it's not close.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That is DB in a nutshell.
The bubble screen doesn't work and he called at least 8 when I stopped counting, and had at least 7 empty sets on 3rd down and all failed miserably either ending in a sack, interception, or incomplete pass. That's a 0% success rate. You'd think you'd try something different if the stuff you are doing isn't working? Not DB!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty plain early on that the Rams had a good plan for the read option.

BEVELL DIDN'T SEEM TO AGREE.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
justafan":n5sy0bd8 said:
It doesnt matter who the OC or DC is.Every team that loss today is blaming one of them and wanting someone fired.
And i am sure there are the few who predicted every play before it was called.probably even knew the terminology used to call the play as it was happening.
If they fire both offensive masterminds im fine.It wont help until you get players who will execute the plays and win the individual matchups though
I disagree 110%. As an OC your job is to call plays to your players strengths and use you weapons. Our OC does neither.

Hawks46

Reaction score
DavidSeven":28nbia7u said:
austinslater25":28nbia7u said:
Uh yeah I understand it was the way it was used in that moment. Donald wins his matchup 80% of the time. Felt like the went run because of the super bowl call. Terrible call. Why not use the full back? Qb sneak?

QB sneak with the shortest QB in the league going straight at Donald? Really?

Uhhhhh, YUP!. Do you know why Donald is do damned disruptive ? Because he weights 290 lbs and is insanely quick. Draft pundits thought Donald might be too light in the pants to consistently anchor against the run at the NFL level, but he's countered that by winning every time with penetration.

So, run at him with Britt and Nowak, Wilson ducks in behind. Yea, he's only 5'10" but he's also damned near 220 and built like a RB. And he only needs 1 foot. That's an easy win.

It's yet another point on why Bevell is so terrible. Donald was winning his matchup all day long, because no one changed that matchup up at all. He's winning against zone blocking by getting across the face of the Center, yet we rarely (if at all) try to combo block him or double team him at all.

justafan

Reaction score
When was the last OC we had who didnt get blamed for playcalling.
Today they tried short passes and players didnt win enough 1 on 1 matchups
I dont care about playcalling very few do anything different.
I want coaches who build a tough disciplined offense that can execute.This offense rolls when Wilson breaks the pocket and makes thing happen.It will never be a smooth running machine with these guys.
Wilson needs to take over the game with his legs he will never be a Brady or Manning.
He can throw from the pocket but thats not what made this team explosive.