Still a problem for players

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Uh-oh. I've been told to "shut up now". Guess I'd better shut up now.

:roll:

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1oo1za56 said:
THE TABS":1oo1za56 said:
Seanhawk":1oo1za56 said:
But, but, what about the 10 point lead you gave up? That was the question.

Coming into that game, Kam was playing with a torn MCL, Sherm was playing with a hyperextended elbow, and Earl was playing with a torn labrum. In the cases of Sherm and Earl, they were both playing with one arm tied behind their backs. They both missed a lot of tackles that day that they normally wouldn’t have missed.

Also, Jeremy Lane blew out his knee in the first quarter, and Tharold Simon also went down in the third. By the time the fourth quarter came around, our secondary was an absolute mess, and Tom Brady took full advantage. THAT’S why we blew that lead.

As for the interception, there’s this; the way the Pats defense was aligned, RW walks in for a touchdown if we call read option on that play, AND, what hurts the most about that play to this day, NE had two time outs and did not use them, meaning that they were getting ready to CONCEDE THE TOUCHDOWN.

That’s what hurts the most about that day.
Lane broke his arm. Just wanted to correct the info...

Or add to the info. He broke his arm and blew out his knee on the same play.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I want Michael Bennett gone. Locker room cancer. He wouldn't last 2 seconds on the Pats.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ioy3wtg said:
WmHBonney":1ioy3wtg said:
Scorpion05":1ioy3wtg said:
I don’t care what anyone says. The only ones who keep this false narrative going are pundits like Screamin’ A and others. It was a good play call that got undone by a better reaction from Butler. If Butler is even an inch late on that, we win. The ball was on target, everything looked fine. Butler made a GREAT play. If we’re gonna nitpick at anything, it’s maybe that Kearse didn’t pull off the rub, and Lockette was too lackadaisical going to the ball as if it was a given

WRONG.
Worst play call since Pickett's charge at Gettysburg.

Cute, but not a valid counter

Most of the criticism of that play is rooted in hindsight. Had Lynch fumbled, or had something gone catastrophic, the criticism would be why did Pete not trust his QB and waste a time out

The criticism is rarely, if ever rooted on actual analysis of the play. Butler made an amazing play that 99% of defenders wouldn't have the instincts to make in that situation

Fact of the matter is that throwing the ball, which was Pete's call, was a good call. The particular play that was called, which was called by Bevell, was TERRIBLE. The pats brought in their big package. We threw a quick slant right into that big pckage that relied on RICARDO FREAKING LOCKETTE to make the play, and Kearse to shield out BRANDON FREKING BROWNER.

The team never recovered, there was no fallout from the call. No closure. The players who are held to the next man up and compete mantras, watched their failure of an OC keep his job and continue to be a failure.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ie5wwh6 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1ie5wwh6 said:
Scorpion05":1ie5wwh6 said:
WmHBonney":1ie5wwh6 said:
WRONG.

Most of the criticism of that play is rooted in hindsight. Had Lynch fumbled, or had something gone catastrophic, the criticism would be why did Pete not trust his QB and waste a time out

The criticism is rarely, if ever rooted on actual analysis of the play. Butler made an amazing play that 99% of defenders wouldn't have the instincts to make in that situation

Because Lynch was SO prone to fumble right? I’m not going to waste time running the numbers, but I’d be willing to bet based on pure odds Wilson was more likely to throw an incomplete pass or INT than Lynch fumbling. Great film study by a young DB against a PREDICTABLE playcaller paid dividends.

Not really. I mean, he did almost lose the ball to the Panthers 2 weeks before that, but we won that game easily. Lynch is no more likey to turn it over than our QB, who's known for 4th Quarter heroics and had only thrown an interception 7 times all year. Pete had gone with Wilson in several goal line or 4th down situations, and succeeded. If you don't have a QB that's done that for you several times, then you end up like the Jaguars and Vikings did today

Lynch was also not known for converting those situations often that year. If Lynch doesn't get it, it's poor clock management. We see teams lose all the time for overly safe playcalling, Pete went for the jugular

FYI icompletions are as bad as interceptions in that situation.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It’s in the past. You identify your mistakes, learn from them, and move on. Bennett and other players and staff who dwell on it and continue to make issue and gin termoil of it have allowed themselves to become mistakes that the organization should move on from as well.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Did Bennett play this year? Not much production! New slogan for him should be stand up, shut up and play!

zchurch74

Reaction score
Bennett needs to be traded because he is no longer the player in the field he used to be. That’s it plain and simple.

That’s the beauty of the Patriots. Bill gets rid of guys a year before the start to slide. They don’t keep players who are starting to slide. The dump them and get guys who are on the way up

sdog1981

Reaction score
You can’t walk away from that like nothing happened. It was too traumatic of an professional experance for the players to act like nothing was wrong. Keep an eye on the Falcons and see what happens with them. Are they better off because the OC left right after the Bowl? I don’t know but we will see with the hawks this Season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Oh come on!

It was a singularly galactically stupid play call by Bevell who never manned up and took responsibility. It has taken his firing and that of Cable for the wounds to begin to heal. In fact I can’t still watch the end of that game. I don’t blame players for still honestly venting about it.

Bevell should have been fired the next day. The team needed closure and never got it. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory is hard to let go without a new focus.

The newfound hate for Bennett is palpable here.

The play still totally pisses me off. I’m not even a player on the team, so I can’t even imagine.

Hate away!

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":3l59d6ks said:
Scorpion05":3l59d6ks said:
Sox-n-Hawks":3l59d6ks said:
Scorpion05":3l59d6ks said:

Because Lynch was SO prone to fumble right? I’m not going to waste time running the numbers, but I’d be willing to bet based on pure odds Wilson was more likely to throw an incomplete pass or INT than Lynch fumbling. Great film study by a young DB against a PREDICTABLE playcaller paid dividends.

Not really. I mean, he did almost lose the ball to the Panthers 2 weeks before that, but we won that game easily. Lynch is no more likey to turn it over than our QB, who's known for 4th Quarter heroics and had only thrown an interception 7 times all year. Pete had gone with Wilson in several goal line or 4th down situations, and succeeded. If you don't have a QB that's done that for you several times, then you end up like the Jaguars and Vikings did today

Lynch was also not known for converting those situations often that year. If Lynch doesn't get it, it's poor clock management. We see teams lose all the time for overly safe playcalling, Pete went for the jugular

There were 26 seconds left in the game and it was second down. An incompletion is not nearly as bad as an interception in that situation. The interception ended the game. An incompletion would have just meant another attempt to score. Lets think before we type.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1xdyu9m3 said:
Scorpion05":1xdyu9m3 said:
WmHBonney":1xdyu9m3 said:
Scorpion05":1xdyu9m3 said:
I don’t care what anyone says. The only ones who keep this false narrative going are pundits like Screamin’ A and others. It was a good play call that got undone by a better reaction from Butler. If Butler is even an inch late on that, we win. The ball was on target, everything looked fine. Butler made a GREAT play. If we’re gonna nitpick at anything, it’s maybe that Kearse didn’t pull off the rub, and Lockette was too lackadaisical going to the ball as if it was a given

WRONG.

Fact of the matter is that throwing the ball, which was Pete's call, was a good call. The particular play that was called, which was called by Bevell, was TERRIBLE. The pats brought in their big package. We threw a quick slant right into that big pckage that relied on RICARDO FREAKING LOCKETTE to make the play, and Kearse to shield out BRANDON FREKING BROWNER.

The team never recovered, there was no fallout from the call. No closure. The players who are held to the next man up and compete mantras, watched their failure of an OC keep his job and continue to be a failure.
Constantly using the next man up always compete mantras as the rational for firing DB following this play-call is absurd. Players lose contain, miss assignments, miss tackles, fumble, and throw interceptions, that doesn't mean they get benched or cut. If you feel DB should have been fired for the play fine; that is a valid opinion held by many on here. However, don't twist Pete's philosophy to fit a narrow minded agenda driven narrative.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The problems ran deep, anyone remember the Baldwin quote at the end of the season?

In a recent Article about the Solari Hire (It's a goood read) Walter Jones had some interesting comments.

Jones said he agreed with what receiver Doug Baldwin said after the season that it wasn’t so much the coaching but just the players not executing.

“It’s all about the players,’’ Jones said. “I think the players have to refocus and kind of decide on what type of team they want to be. So they have to put that focus on themselves.’’

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ome-clues/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Wenhawk":smdvcrij said:
The problems ran deep, anyone remember the Baldwin quote at the end of the season?

In a recent Article about the Solari Hire (It's a goood read) Walter Jones had some interesting comments.

Jones said he agreed with what receiver Doug Baldwin said after the season that it wasn’t so much the coaching but just the players not executing.

“It’s all about the players,’’ Jones said. “I think the players have to refocus and kind of decide on what type of team they want to be. So they have to put that focus on themselves.’’

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... ome-clues/
The players HAVE TO say that publicly, even if they know its BS.
The “it’s always the execution” is a lazy and false narrative.

Even as a Highschool player 30 some odd years ago, you knew there were certain playcalls that were horrible and doomed to fail, either do to matchups, or wrong type of players to run said play.

There are bad play calls and good play calls
There is bad execution and good execution.

Doug ain’t no dummy, and he knows what side his bread is buttered on...... if he calls out bad play calling, he knows he ain’t seeing the ball come his way so he and others play the “good soldier”, and take the blame themselves.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The play call was complete and utter garbage. The Patriots knew what we were running before we even snapped the ball. Browner was on the team just the prior season. You don't think he saw that play a few million times in practice and so forth? I give Butler credit for making the play, but I also take some of that credit away because he knew what was going to happen before he even had to do anything. A play directed to Ricardo Lockette is also idiotic. Regardless of all that, the play was so unsuccessful that we ran it a couple of more times this season and it failed with the same results. That's horrible.

Maybe some of the healing will start with Bevell being gone, but I don't think the franchise really gets over it until Pete leaves. That play will always stick with him.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":my0q2pt8 said:
Did Bennett play this year? Not much production! New slogan for him should be stand up, shut up and play!

8.5 sacks with a bad wheel. Not to mention numerous pressures and TFL's. Someone needs to sit down, shut up, and let him play.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":1077jq26 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1077jq26 said:
Scorpion05":1077jq26 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":1077jq26 said:

There were 26 seconds left in the game and it was second down. An incompletion is not nearly as bad as an interception in that situation. The interception ended the game. An incompletion would have just meant another attempt to score. Lets think before we type.

Actually, an incompletion stops the clock, allows the defense to re-set and prepare for a Lynch run. It's been discussed at nauseam on here.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":8gq14sa6 said:
Sun Tzu":8gq14sa6 said:
Sox-n-Hawks":8gq14sa6 said:
Scorpion05":8gq14sa6 said:

Actually, an incompletion stops the clock, allows the defense to re-set and prepare for a Lynch run. It's been discussed at nauseam on here.

They were prepared for a Lynch run. That is why they had their goal line package in.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Nope. You fail to get it. Regardless of how Bennett feels about the play the issue is that he continues to make it a distraction and there for a problem for the team. He and anyone else distracting from the team goal need to go. Either with us or against us. The thread starter should change the title to a more appropriate “player still a problem”.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1gashpzy said:
Nope. You fail to get it. Regardless of how Bennett feels about the play the issue is that he continues to make it a distraction and there for a problem for the team. He and anyone else distracting from the team goal need to go. Either with us or against us.

You’re correlating the teans struggles to this now? You have no idea if his statement is a distraction or problem for anyone, or if it is how it impacts their play.