Defense Still Wins Championships

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the Niners, Detroit, and Baltimore finished 3,4,5 in scoring this year and Balt, KC, San Fran are top 3 in defensive ppg. So you better be elite at both this year lol
As dominant as the Patriots were, when their defense wasn't playing really well they didn't win do great int he posteason/win Super Bowls. They typically got it done because they were good/great on both sides of the ball.

The "defense wins championships" mantra would bre more correct as "it's really hard to win without a good to great defense".

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I agree in principle, however an offense can do the same if you are able to pound the ball and have long sustaining drives/ I feel a true offensive minded coach can still build a great defense by hiring the right staff and letting them run the scheme giving them ownership. It’s exciting and nerve racking the same time not knowing who you are getting or how this will all work out, but definitely change will happen. Hoping we as fans can withstand whatever is coming our way!
43 to 8, now THAT'S a DEFENSE, and it wasn't against an Almost decent Quarterback, it was against ONE OF THE BEST, who had just finished up with an OUTSTANDING year of play, actually good enough to EASILY quash the AFC Competition, and take the Bronco's to a SUPER BOWL appearance.
SADLY for Peyton Manning though, he ran into Pete Carroll's LOB Defense.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
43 to 8, now THAT'S a DEFENSE, and it wasn't against an Almost decent Quarterback, it was against ONE OF THE BEST, who had just finished up with an OUTSTANDING year of play, actually good enough to EASILY quash the AFC Competition, and take the Bronco's to a SUPER BOWL appearance.
SADLY for Peyton Manning though, he ran into Pete Carroll's LOB Defense.

And let's not forget that Peyton Manning offense in 2013 was at the time the most prolific in NFL HISTORY.

That's why most media heads didn't give us a chance.

Apparently, they didn't watch the LOB that year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
defense doesn’t win championships, a well balanced team does. People have gone back and studied how often the number one defense and number one offense win a Super Bowl, the answer was rarely.

The teams that fair the best are those that can answer multiple different ways. Even the Seahawks SuperBowl team was ranked number 8 in total offense and had a fairly efficient QB.

People keep trying to distill it into generalities when in reality Super Bowl teams are both lucky and usually good in every facet of the game.
43 to 8?
OH AND, how about also ran Trent Dilfer & the Ravens, who were eager to let him walk AFTER winning the Super Bowl? ;-)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I believe you have to play with the hand that is dealt to you. If a given draft class is strong in a given area when the time comes to turn your pick in, then that is the card that has been dealt to you. For example, look at the run on receivers after JSN was drafted. It was just that time of the draft for that talent tier. As a result, you may have an abundance of rookie deal talent in one area and a dearth of rookie deal talent in another. Additionally, since contracts run in four-year cycles (five if you want to extend the first round pick another year), then you are always confronted with contract extensions with a significant pay increase at the veteran minimum. Sometimes when the draft doesn't fall your way, you just have to extend guys that you would otherwise prefer not to.

All of this factors into the premise that you really don't get an unfettered choice in the matter. You basically have to adapt the identity of the team to the skill set of your roster and your roster is heavily dependent upon many factors beyond your control. Further, there are ripple effects that impact you into the future. For example, you may finish last in your division and get the highest draft picks within the division as compensation, but you also get a last place schedule that is going to translate into victories and adversely impact your draft for the year following that. What I'm trying to say is that parity is so effectively built in, that this becomes much more about adapting your team identity to your roster as opposed to adapting your roster to an identity. You don't always get what you envision. The strength of draft classes is cyclic and you gotta dance with the girl that brung ya.

You have all heard the saying, "It is more about the Jimmys and Joes than the "X's and O's". In effect, you are a slave to the roster composition that the system has partially imposed. In other words, some draft years are just strong in particular areas and weak in others. When you go outside of these predetermined draft windows (talent tiers), you are "reaching". Occasionally you hit and look like a genius. More often, you miss and look incompetent. Regardless, the real key is to identify what your roster is really good at and maximize it. If your roster is full of defensive talent than that is the team identity that you should choose for that given roster. Otherwise, I think it is bad management to have a preconceived idea and force an incompatible roster to abide by it. I think it is better to find out what they collectively do best and center your identity around it.
What a fantastic post ^^^^^^^^^^^
Wasting Talent just PI$$ES ME OFF!!!