Steeler forums and the officiating.

HawkGA

Reaction score
olyfan63":1fgb98mh said:
davidonmi":1fgb98mh said:
sherman should have been called for illegal contact on the int, that's it.

The PF was borderline, wilson was going straight out of bounds, not even at an angle and was a step from the sideline. By the letter of the law probably not a foul, but using judgement I thought it was correct

The one replay they showed, it looked like Brown extended his arms and shoved Sherman and lost his balance when Sherman didn't "give". Good non-call. If someone has a video to link to or post, I'd love to see it again.

The PF for shoving Russ out of bounds... cheap, maybe, but a truly stupid play by the Steeler defender. Russell was going straight out of bounds, even a little backwards. The start of the push was clearly in bounds. The point is it was unnecessary. As others pointed out, Bruce Irvin got flagged for the exact same thing against Philip Rivers last year.

This. It seemed to me (though I just saw the one replay take on it) that the WR ran into Sherm. Wouldn't mind seeing a replay agai though. *cough* Laloosh *cought*.

HawkGA

Reaction score
253hawk":3lqryvgh said:
Hawkpower":3lqryvgh said:
Probably a bad call, however Russ had pulled up and was a step from the sideline.

The veracity of the hit, in the specific situation is what drew the flag.

Agreed. While it wasn't gratuitous, it was completely unnecessary and close enough to make the refs use judgment. Wilson is a smaller QB that is easy to send flying with a momentum-based shove like that, especially since he is always going to run out instead of bracing for a hit to get that extra yard or two.

It wasn't bad, but don't put yourself in that position to give the refs a reason in the first place.

And here's Sherman 'interfering' with Brown (watch his feet): http://gfycat.com/HeftyConsciousJapanesebeetle

Thanks for the replay. Still wouldn't mind seeing one that shows the lead-up to the contact. That one started after the contact was initiated. But yes, it was definitely his own feet that did the tripping.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The officiating was terrible................again. But it's been terrible all year for every team.

The Steeler's fans have a gripe, as we did with the Cardinal game. But if they want to point the finger, point it at their head coach for losing his mind and calling that horrific Landry fake FG disaster.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hycsg3x said:
The officiating was terrible................again. But it's been terrible all year for every team.

The Steeler's fans have a gripe, as we did with the Cardinal game. But if they want to point the finger, point it at their head coach for losing his mind and calling that horrific Landry fake FG disaster.

Minus the holds that weren't called I didn't think it was that terrible of a game by the refs. They let the teams play a lot and made the correct calls on the challenge and Kam interception.

253hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, how do you have 59 pass attempts without a single hold against our DL/LB's?

sutz

Reaction score
I know I saw a couple of rather obvious holds and jersey grabs on Stealer kickoff returns that weren't called. :229031_shrug:

pmedic920

Reaction score
AB84":3ka90ctw said:
First of all, I find it hilarious you guys cannot simply celebrate a victory while giving credit to the opposing team. You immediately run to the enemy fan forums to "spy" and read what they are saying so you can laugh about it and criticize? If you're going to checkout an opponents forum, how about register and talk shop, or even talk shit, but be a real man about it. You guys sound like a group of 8 year old boys spying on a girls sleepover. Now, to the game:

Great game overall. Great energy, entertaining play, and what, 7 or 8 lead changes? Yes there were some non-calls that didn't go our way in the second half, but again, as I have said over and over, officiating is part of the game! It's imperfect by nature as it's completely subjective, hence why Mike Carey can disagree with another ref over the same play.

Who cares? Ben threw 2 picks, our secondary made RW look like a top 5 QB, and you guys gained the momentum in the second half and never lost it. That's why we lost, not because of some call or non call by the refs. That's how football games work, it comes down to execution, that's why you lose a game. Too bad most of you guys still can't take a page out of that book w/XL :roll:

Ultimately this was just the type of game we expected, fast paced, physical, and high flying. It would be absolutely awesome to see a rematch of Superbowl XL in the next year or two. That game yesterday felt like a SB caliber game, and it would be an awesome story line as well.

And please, for the sake of all football fans, can you stop generalizing a fan base by a few posts you read from some asshole in his basement? Every fan base has assholes, dipshits, people that know nothing about football yet talk mad shit. Don't pretend your fans are any different. Peace :)

Good luck on the rest of the season :177692:

Whoa there my friend.
You would be surprised to know how many of our members have been banned from opposing team forums.
Yes some were deserved but MANY were not.
There are very few, actually I don't know of any, that are as lenient and welcoming as we are, when it comes to opposing fans.
We have plenty of members that have tried, and I'm sure that many are members of other team sites.

Your thought in your opening statement here, is more than ok, just be advised that telling our members to "be a man about it" and comparing them to 8 yr olds won't go over well. You are welcome to your opinion and we have a place that you can say almost anything. May I suggest that you take those type of thoughts there. Feel free to PM me if you need directions.

Please remember who's house you are in and that you are a guest, this will insure that your time here is enjoyable for all.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1dwo1o77 said:
AB84":1dwo1o77 said:
First of all, I find it hilarious you guys cannot simply celebrate a victory while giving credit to the opposing team. You immediately run to the enemy fan forums to "spy" and read what they are saying so you can laugh about it and criticize? If you're going to checkout an opponents forum, how about register and talk shop, or even talk shit, but be a real man about it. You guys sound like a group of 8 year old boys spying on a girls sleepover. Now, to the game:

Great game overall. Great energy, entertaining play, and what, 7 or 8 lead changes? Yes there were some non-calls that didn't go our way in the second half, but again, as I have said over and over, officiating is part of the game! It's imperfect by nature as it's completely subjective, hence why Mike Carey can disagree with another ref over the same play.

Who cares? Ben threw 2 picks, our secondary made RW look like a top 5 QB, and you guys gained the momentum in the second half and never lost it. That's why we lost, not because of some call or non call by the refs. That's how football games work, it comes down to execution, that's why you lose a game. Too bad most of you guys still can't take a page out of that book w/XL :roll:

Ultimately this was just the type of game we expected, fast paced, physical, and high flying. It would be absolutely awesome to see a rematch of Superbowl XL in the next year or two. That game yesterday felt like a SB caliber game, and it would be an awesome story line as well.

And please, for the sake of all football fans, can you stop generalizing a fan base by a few posts you read from some asshole in his basement? Every fan base has assholes, dipshits, people that know nothing about football yet talk mad shit. Don't pretend your fans are any different. Peace :)

References Mike Carey as an authority, immediately sounds like Charlie Brown's parents.

Mike Carey disagreed because he was wrong. And was graded out as one of the worst refs for years. How he got a job with CBS I have no idea, it certainly wasn't his illustrious career.
This. All your credibility went out the window once you acted like Carey is good at his job. Douchebag has NEVER been good at either job, Seahawks involved or not.

I have a friend who sadly is a stealer fan and he thinks the officiating was just fine in XL* yet when he texted me a congrats in the Hawks win last evening, the FIRST thing he said after that was how shitty the refs were. Such a typical fan of that team.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Looks like Big ol' Ben just might not have fancied it... [tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/671366488142540800[/tweet]

Waiting on official word. Maybe he can join Clay Matthews' club of fake tough guys who benched themselves at Clink.

Barakas

Reaction score
AB84":20ngimcf said:
.... Too bad most of you guys still can't take a page out of that book w/XL :roll: ....

LOL! Totally generalizes an entire fan base and then two breaths later acts all super mature cool dude and tells us to not generalize his fan base.

hahahaha, hope you are careful getting down off your high horse because you have a long way to fall.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Saw one Steelers fan on the eastside yesterday decked out in gear. She was easily 5'3, 300+lbs. Standard.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
AB84":at25jm27 said:
I find it hilarious you guys cannot simply celebrate a victory while giving credit to the opposing team

our secondary made RW look like a top 5 Q

Uumm ok. :?

sutz

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":9lb5v9br said:
253hawk":9lb5v9br said:
Hawkpower":9lb5v9br said:
And here's Sherman 'interfering' with Brown (watch his feet): http://gfycat.com/HeftyConsciousJapanesebeetle

But but Sherman is mugging him!!! WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!! :lol:

Sure enough, look at him trip on his own feet.
Yeah, and also, Sherm was pulling his hands and arms away from Brown when he tripped over his own foot. There was no pushing or pulling, they were engaging in the kind of normal hand fighting that goes on all over the field and pretty much every pass route all game before Brown tripped, but Sherm didn't have his hands on him when he went down. If anything, it looks like Brown was trying to push off (OPI) and Sherm avoided that, which may have led to Brown re-directing a bit on his run and getting his feet tangled.

Good no call.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2ljg7hav said:
Not surprised about the personal foul on Russ. We got called for the same thing in San Diego last season, with Bruce Irvin giving a generous shove to Rivers as he was not out of bounds, but clearly headed out of bounds.

Both are bonehead plays IMO.

This is what I was going to say. We've been called for the same thing.

When a QB has given himself up and is clearly going out of bounds, you cannot hit him. Period.

It was the right call and has been called many times in other games.

kearly

Reaction score
AB84":3np3y3ey said:

There are some fair points in here.

-It was absolutely a great football game. I said during the game that the energy and caliber of play reminded me of SB 49.

-We shouldn't judge ALL fans by a handful of jackholes. Although I do think historically successful franchises have way more of them (And Seahawks fans have plenty too).

-Anyone who studied the matchups beforehand knew it would be a shootout and it was exactly that, as you said.

-Refs are imperfect and generally do not have agendas.

With those points out of the way, I do think your commentary about officiating in XL and yesterday's game is off base.

For starters, poor officiating can absolutely decide games, it happens all the time. XL had several bad calls, but a sequence where an offsides by Pitt was called a phantom hold on Seattle which wiped out 1st and goal at the 1, set up an interception and 'low block' call on the tackle, it was basically a 14 point swing in a game decided by 11. Maybe the Steelers still win a fairly called game, but looking at the box score, I think Seattle probably wins. (Seattle had more yards, more TOP, and won the turnover battle, the first team ever do to those things and lose a SB). If you pull the "XL was won fair and square" card here, not only are you wrong but it's a bit of a douche move considering the place you are at.

Second, I actually do think the officials favored Seattle yesterday (there was some bad calls and non-calls for Seattle too but I think Pitt was hurt more by the officiating gaffes). There was an uncalled pushoff by Sherman on his INT. There was a blatant faceguard by Shead on Bryant that went uncalled that would have been 1st and goal at the 2 and about a 50 yard penalty for the Steelers. And the roughing penalty against Pitt where Wilson was shoved out of bounds was TURRIBLE. (The Kam interception was legit though, the ball was ripped out long after the play was dead. Mike Carey's judgement and analysis was awful as usual yesterday). Anyway, point is, if you want to complain about the officiating yesterday, I won't blame you. It favored the Seahawks. But I think you know that and are choosing to let this one go so that you can justify your opinion on XL.

Don't be that guy. If the officials blow the game, then it's not Pittsburgh's fault, or Seattle's. The refs do a crappy job sometimes. It just is what it is, and sometimes it can impact the outcome of games.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So you mean kinda like our forum and the officiating after losses

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118157

Those dumb Steelers fans, we certainly don't complain incessantly about officiating after close losses.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Cartire":33qa9pev said:
The blatant facemask hold on Avril on one of the plays towards the end of the first half. They replayed a ton of times because Ben through a 40 yard bomb. Over and over they showed Avril get his helmet almost shoved off.

That can't be true ! That was a point of emphasis in the offseason in regards to player safety (hands to the face). No way would the refs not call it. :sarcasm_off:

253hawk

Reaction score
sutz":365025o2 said:
Yeah, and also, Sherm was pulling his hands and arms away from Brown when he tripped over his own foot. There was no pushing or pulling, they were engaging in the kind of normal hand fighting that goes on all over the field and pretty much every pass route all game before Brown tripped, but Sherm didn't have his hands on him when he went down. If anything, it looks like Brown was trying to push off (OPI) and Sherm avoided that, which may have led to Brown re-directing a bit on his run and getting his feet tangled.

Good no call.

I think Brown was leaning into Sherman's arm, and when Sherman pulled his arm in it caused Brown to fall forward a bit and lose balance since the resistance was suddenly gone.

JPatera76

Reaction score
253hawk":2umik4vd said:
sutz":2umik4vd said:

Good no call.

I think Brown was leaning into Sherman's arm, and when Sherman pulled his arm in it caused Brown to fall forward a bit and lose balance since the resistance was suddenly gone.

He tripped himself. Watch his feet and at the end of the gif you can see his left foot hooking his right calf. (or other way around either way a foot his hooking his own calve)
HeftyConsciousJapanesebeetle.gif

Latest posts