Spoon vs Chase

Chawker

Reaction score
Will Devon Whitherspoon get a chance to cover Chase, "who is always open". Or will it be one of our other corners that will get the assignment ?

I'm thinking it will be a slow day sledding in the skys of Cincinnati land for the kats.

I say, our run game will overwhelm them.

Last edited:

warden

Reaction score
I think if the Seahawks were going to get their ideal match up on Chase it will be Woolen not Spoon

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think our defense of him will depend on where he is lined up and running his routes. I have a feeling everyone will get some chances to cover him as he seems to find himself all over the field. It will be a good test of our DBs

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem seems less about our corners. It seems more our safeties.

Right now, we have a pretty poor defense against the pass. One of the worst in the league actually.
Yet we have what looks like rising stars at corners. Some of this is scheme, and some is our lack of pass rush (the game against the Giants likely an outlier).

Either way, anyone with a pass-happy offense is licking their lips right now. The Seahawks not only aren't good against the pass, they are near garbage level.

So far, much of the problem looks like our safeties. But you could argue that Tariq isn't producing like last year either (hopefully that changes).

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
See I don't want Jackson 1 on 1 with Chase....
I think Brown passed concussion protocol and will be starting over Jackson. If Jackson starts, I fully expect Chase to go off like he did with the Cardinals on Jackson's side.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't want Witherspoon 1 on 1 with Chase all game. Move him around.
I don't think this will be a problem. Cincy moves Chase around a lot, left, right, slot, in motion. Pete's norm has always been to keep our CBs home and use shifts and rotation to counter their motion. Spoon will get his shots against Chase, but I doubt he'll be following him around 1 on 1 all game.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't think this will be a problem. Cincy moves Chase around a lot, left, right, slot, in motion. Pete's norm has always been to keep our CBs home and use shifts and rotation to counter their motion. Spoon will get his shots against Chase, but I doubt he'll be following him around 1 on 1 all game.
Yeah, that's fair. Schematically and just based on what Cincy does, there's no world in which Witherspoon is just relegated to facing Chase on the outside all game.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Anyone have a brother that used to get you into fights by talking smack? I did.

That's what I feel like DK did to Witherspoon. What did he think he was doing? Chase and co. are a damn good of team as it is. Why give them bulletin board material?

sutz

Reaction score
Anyone have a brother that used to get you into fights by talking smack? I did.

That's what I feel like DK did to Witherspoon. What did he think he was doing? Chase and co. are a damn good of team as it is. Why give them bulletin board material?
Meh. Sounded to me like not much there. DK was praising Chase all over the place, but then just supported Spoon when he said that Spoon could "handle" him. More press and fans looking for shit where it doesn't really exist.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Meh. Sounded to me like not much there. DK was praising Chase all over the place, but then just supported Spoon when he said that Spoon could "handle" him. More press and fans looking for shit where it doesn't really exist.
I hope so . You're probably right.

NoGain

Reaction score
Witherspoon is the real deal, health permitting. He's really special.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Chase is going to get his catches no matter who is on him. Its just the way it is. The thing is to limit him to just that and no more while busting them up everywhere else.

SeaChat

Reaction score
Will Devon Whitherspoon get a chance to cover Chase, "who is always open". Or will it be one of our other corners that will get the assignment ?

I'm thinking it will be a slow day sledding in the shys of Cincinnati land for the kats.

I say, our run game will overwhelm them.
I believe Chase and Spoon were teammates, and as such a mutual respect exist between them. That all said, I have to believe that Coach Hurt is gonna cover Chase like stink on poop, to put it mildly. The Seahawks know that Chase is the Bengals biggest threat.

Eliminate that threat and the Bengals are all but done in this one.
Seahawks will bring lots of pressure to Joe Burrows in the pocket, forcing him to get trigger happy, creating plenty of opportunities for turnovers.

The Bengals defense is about last in the league stopping the run. With K-9 and Zach repeatedly pounding the rock up their arses, allowing the Seahawks control of the field, the clock, and uhm, putting points on the board, the Bengals defense will be overworked and exhausted, and the Bengals offense will see very little play time.

Play our cards right and the Seahawks defense may get the much deserved rest between possessions that they have not always enjoyed with Geno Smith’s 1st down conversions being harder earned than they should be in some of our previous games this season, albeit Geno has continued to improve in that statistic with each passing game.

Watching Joe Burrows practice videos this week, it appeared to me that Joe’s still favoring his injured calf, and is still limited by it.
If the Seahawks do put Joe on the run, and can rough him up with a few sacks, he’ll likely agitate it even further, compromising his deep threat passing capabilities.

I think this matchup with the Bengals is a great opportunity, and test for the Seahawks in all aspects of their game. If we look as in sync and professional as a whole team in this game, which includes holding the Bengals scoring success to a minimum, while capitalizing on our own scoring opportunities, and can win convincingly, it will silence any remaining doubters and solidify our credibility as a genuine threat in the NFL and the NFC. It would also put the NFL as a whole, on notice that whenever they play the Seahawks, they need to be afraid, very, very afraid. Let’s Fly Seahawks!

audioeffects

Reaction score
Not only is Chase moved around a lot - we are usually in a cover 3 and nobody is particularly shadowing Chase who will find those honey holes in 2 seconds at a pop. It’s essentially their bread and butter “running game” equivalent for Joe Burrow. Let Jamal Adams be a disruptive force against the underneath in-breaking routes.

Latest posts