Sidney Rice

Primo

Reaction score
Watching the games I have of Seattle, it doesn't look like Wilson has much of a chemistry with Sidney Rice.

He has much better chemistry with Golden Tate and I think he'll love Harvin.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Primo":13fmyefd said:
Watching the games I have of Seattle, it doesn't look like Wilson has much of a chemistry with Sidney Rice.

Personally, I think Wilson has great chemistry with Rice. The pass vs the Pats last year comes to mind, then you have the Bears, and there are quite a few others (sideline catches, TD's on scramble drills, the one between a couple defenders vs Jacksonville where he and Russell were right on it, etc.). Rice has a huge catch radius, too, which is useful for RW.

Not that Rice can't be replaced. It totally depends on who else we can get, his health, and his sticker price. I just think that he is undervalued as a Hawk.

Primo

Reaction score
Starrman44":2hh0hr4r said:
Primo":2hh0hr4r said:

Personally, I think Wilson has great chemistry with Rice. The pass vs the Pats last year comes to mind, then you have the Bears, and there are quite a few others (sideline catches, TD's on scramble drills, the one between a couple defenders vs Jacksonville where he and Russell were right on it, etc.). Rice has a huge catch radius, too, which is useful for RW.

Not that Rice can't be replaced. It totally depends on who else we can get, his health, and his sticker price. I just think that he is undervalued as a Hawk.

Maybe so...

By the way who was the WR that Tarvaris Jackson kept throwing beautiful deep passes to in the Preseason? I don't recognize his name on your roster. He was kind of a tall kid, once the season hit I never seen him again but he was having a stud preseason.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Primo":2go03wk4 said:
Starrman44":2go03wk4 said:
Primo":2go03wk4 said:

Maybe so...

By the way who was the WR that Tarvaris Jackson kept throwing beautiful deep passes to in the Preseason? I don't recognize his name on your roster. He was kind of a tall kid, once the season hit I never seen him again but he was having a stud preseason.

That was Stephen Williams. Last I seen he was on the Jaguars roster.

Primo

Reaction score
Yea I don't understand why he wasn't kept around or did they try to slip him through waivers and onto the practice squad?

Starrman44

Reaction score
Primo":18jheafd said:
Yea I don't understand why he wasn't kept around or did they try to slip him through waivers and onto the practice squad?

I think it had more to do with just managing the roster. We had a lot of injuries on the OLine this year. IMO, he was kind of a one trick pony (run deep and jump high). Jermaine Kearse has kind of taken over the Rice role and he is more diverse as a receiver than Williams was.

Honestly, I don't know a ton about Stephen Williams and his situation (not sure that he had practice squad eligibility). Regardless, it likely would have been a situation where Jacksonville would have signed him anyway due to their lack of roster talent.

Harvin, Tate, Baldwin, Rice, and Kearse were a pretty strong group. Now we have Ricardo Lockette as our fast receiver and he plays special teams as well. It may have made a difference for Williams if he was a special teams player, but he wasn't.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Starrman44":3b39knst said:
Primo":3b39knst said:

I think it had more to do with just managing the roster. We had a lot of injuries on the OLine this year. IMO, he was kind of a one trick pony (run deep and jump high). Jermaine Kearse has kind of taken over the Rice role and he is more diverse as a receiver than Williams was.

Honestly, I don't know a ton about Stephen Williams and his situation (not sure that he had practice squad eligibility). Regardless, it likely would have been a situation where Jacksonville would have signed him anyway due to their lack of roster talent.

Harvin, Tate, Baldwin, Rice, and Kearse were a pretty strong group. Now we have Ricardo Lockette as our fast receiver and he plays special teams as well. It may have made a difference for Williams if he was a special teams player, but he wasn't.

That was my take on how Stephen Williams got away. Pete decided there was more value in a special teams beast like Lockette. Carroll really, really prioritizes special teams in his personnel decisions more than people generally realize. Carroll's approach makes sense, from a Moneyball/math standpoint. Williams is in maybe 10 plays on the offense, but is one-dimensional, easily taken away, and not such a great run blocker either. Lockette is in maybe 5 plays on offense, but 10-15 on special teams, and is a beast on those ST plays. Lockette has the size and power to run-block the crap out of DBs on the offensive snaps he's in. Add in a couple go routes per game the opponent D has to pay attention to, and Lockette has more overall value to the team, each and every game.

Exittium

Reaction score
For me I'd rather see as many guys stay as long as possible and develop create a dynasty rather then build guys up and trade'em off..

olyfan63

Reaction score
getnasty":1bn22z5t said:
Rice has been a burst in Seattle.

No, Rice has not been a "bust" (not "burst"), but he has underperformed relative to his contract.
He has been a good player who made key, timely plays. We miss him. It's just that he's played more like a $3M player, not an $8M player.
We already miss him badly this year. I hope we restructure and keep him for next year.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Wish he was heathy . We could surely use his help