Sherman on fantasy football

Rocket

Reaction score
Perhaps he simply looked past money?
Sherman is not above changing his mind when new facts emerge.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Reading the article, and it sounds more like he's not saying that Fantasy Football itself is bad, only that too many people only care about players for their fantasy numbers and neglect to look at how injuries have an impact on the person as a human being. I can't disagree with that sentiment.

OP
OP
JustTheTip

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Rocket":3kzf06p8 said:
Perhaps he simply looked past money?
Sherman is not above changing his mind when new facts emerge.

If that is the case, I applaud him. Will be curious to see if he continues to push his fantasy games.

kidhawk":3kzf06p8 said:
Reading the article, and it sounds more like he's not saying that Fantasy Football itself is bad, only that too many people only care about players for their fantasy numbers and neglect to look at how injuries have an impact on the person as a human being. I can't disagree with that sentiment.

I can't disagree with the sentiment either. I played fantasy football for almost 20 years (not anymore) and can't say I really saw that mentality any more than I did among normal fans. A few bad eggs everywhere. Either way, talking about it that way while pushing fantasy games that make him money (and quite a bit, he was offering $20k to a random participant a few weeks ago) on his facebook page each week kind of hits me the wrong way.

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah, this is just a "water is wet" statement by Sherman. Of course there are going to be tons of fans who don't take personal costs into account. If you're watching a sport where big men beat on each other to begin with you have to do some compartmentalizing.

I don't want players to get injured but beyond that if discussing player injuries gets a little antiseptic for fantasy football or discussing the team's chances of winning I'm not going to feel guilty about it or like it's some eye-opening revelation from the great perceptive Sherman. There is compensation involved for the players.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NFL players better start to realize that fantasy football keeps viewership numbers quite a bit higher than they would be if it didn't exist, and that's straight money in their pockets with the wildly increasing salary caps.

Not saying they should care about it, but the passive-aggressive (or flat-out aggressive) denigration of it by many players, more and more each year, is getting annoying.

I'd venture a guess that at least half of the people that pay for Red Zone do it for fantasy football.

Suck it up, whiny NFL players. You're performers in an entertainment business.

The above statement is not intended at any one NFL player, but at the collective, for the record.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I agree that his relationship with draft.com mitigates his argument about the commoditization of NFL players. If people getting worked up over the performance of their fantasy team is objectionable to you, stop supporting organizations that facilitate it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think RS was merely pointing out the facts about the "mechanism" that is injury reports.

chris98251

Reaction score
People that spends 100,000's in gambling on games and then you have people bitching about players not playing on their Fantasy team because of not being listed on a injury report is something the players are not responsible for yet take the flak about. Had a sore Hammy that on game day tightens up and is held out, Gambler throws a fit since he can't change his lineup now. Is at game and cat calls the player a bunch of derogatory names or posts in facebook or on twitter.

They would really shit their britches if it was a non published listing that just went between the two teams playing now wouldn't they. Which is maybe what it should be, prior to game time a list of non involved players injured but not what it is can be released to the media. Besides if it is a medical condition doesn't HIPAA law come into play as well?