If Belichick gets fired before Pete . . .

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well NE screwed up so badly with Jones that’s it’s unlikely to be that bad here if we drafted one. Most teams at least make reasonable moves to help whoever is picked. I would assume JS is smart enough to use that as one of many pieces to help him succeed. I think Bill B just got too arrogant and could make anything work.
Some of what Bill Belichick has been doing is almost unbelievable. I know I keep saying it... but Matt Patricia? As offensive playcaller? Biiiiiiilll......

You ever watch Bruce Almighty? The scene where Jim Carrey starts controlling Steve Carell and making him say dumb stuff on the air? It's like someone is doing that to Bill.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Some of what Bill Belichick has been doing is almost unbelievable. I know I keep saying it... but Matt Patricia? As offensive playcaller? Biiiiiiilll......

You ever watch Bruce Almighty? The scene where Jim Carrey starts controlling Steve Carell and making him say dumb stuff on the air? It's like someone is doing that to Bill.

Yeah it's one of the most bizarre things I've seen in the NFL and no one is really talking about it, super weird.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Belichick has stunk since Brady left, and an owner as involved as Kraft is isn't an idiot. He sees that a 70 year old over the hill coach is not the direction he wants his football team going. Even the most successful coach in NFL history.

Pile on top of that the fact that as successful as Belichick is on the field? He's one of the worst drafters in NFL history. You guys complain about our drafts, just look at the last 10 years of Patriots drafts. It's awful.

As far as Pete? Apples and oranges, there's no correlation or comparison for me......other than age. Not the same situation.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Patriots, but for anyone who was fallowing the Hawks at the time, 2010 feels analogous to 2022 (starting something fresh, bridge QB, surprisingly made the playoffs, new young pieces arriving - Walker, Woolen, Cross, Lucas, Mafe). 2011 feels analogous to 2023 (falling short of the playoffs, the bridge QB clearly not being the answer, more young pieces emerging - Spoon, JSN, Bobo, Charbonnet; a little more aggressive with veteran additions : Rice/Miller : Dre'Mont/Leonard).

If 2024 is to be the 2012 of the reset, this is the offseason where they need to go QB hunting and hopefully find their future.

I hesitate to think that ownership would have green lit the Russ trade rather than fire PC in 2022 if he was only being given a 2 year leash to get it all the way back. Otherwise you juts keep Russ and start fresh with a new HC at that point.

I can't speak for the Patriots thought process aside from it being because they are one of the very worst teams in football with a roster completely void of talent, and that "Patriot Way" being seeing as a bit of charade that ultimately just started and ended with the greatest QB of all-time.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Really? You seriously had no expectations for the team when they were winning 11-12 games every season?

I read the full quote before posting it. I knew you weren't happy with them moving on from Wilson. I mean, you called Pete a fossil. Lol. But the full quote doesn't change how you defined the situation.

And if you're going to argue that a rebuild doesn't start until you have the QBOTF, then I'd ask, if Seattle trades up for a QB in the upcoming draft, would that be the start of the rebuild? The obvious answer is no because they are past that point. But by your definition, it would be.

Nope. I knew how it would end up in the post season.

I defined the situation as I saw it. They had no backup plan or anybody waiting in the wings when they let Wilson go except for Geno and that was never going to be close to enough. And yes, Carroll is a fossil, thus having nowhere near the time for a proper restructure or rebuild. It's why he tries all of these win now horrible trades.

Lol, yes that would be rebuilding. The QB is the most important cog in the machine. Without a good to great QB, a team is dead in the water in todays NFL.