Sherman and Browner facing suspension

manders2600

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2rov4dpc said:
Zowert":2rov4dpc said:
Four games for Adderall?! What?! I know it is Amphetamines, which gives you vision like an Eagle, sharp focus and the ability to perform certain tasks exceptionally. I use to take an Adderall here and there when I was in college and I needed to cram for an exam. I tried taking one before hitting the gym one day (to participate in an intense game of Squash) and it actually didn't help one bit. Squash is nothing compared to professional football and just doing that made my heart rate so high that I couldn't function. I would have to stop every five minutes to catch my breath, it was awful and that was just a very low dose (20mg). I can't even imagine what it would do to a professional CB on an NFL field, covering some of the fastest runners on Earth. Their hearts would explode.

My guess, is they didn't take Adderall before a game. Maybe they took it so they could stay out all night or just for recreational purposes. I'm not trying to condone this type of behavior at all. But I don't see why it would be a problem with the NFL. Their not juicing. I understand the zero tolerance for doping (using anabolic steroids), but Amphetamines? Any anaerobic type athlete that used a significant amount would fall over and have a frickin' myocardial infarction.

I used to be a professional counselor, so understand all that stuff very well. If they happen to have ADHD though ... Adderall is a perfectly acceptable medication for them. Contrary to popular belief (for those who don't have ADHD) -- Adderall and these kinds of stimulants (Ritalin as well) DON'T hype UP people who have ADHD ... they calm them down. In essence the midbrain of those who have ADHD is going a million miles an hour -- faster than the centers of the brain that govern your overall intellectual reasoning, judgment, etc. In theory, what these stimulants (like Adderall) do is to speed up those centers to the same speed as the midbrain (so now everything is now in synch). If that's what going on with these guys -- PFFT! This should be cleared up shortly. Hopefully that IS what's going on.

You really think all these DBs from the same team just happen to be diagnosed with ADHD, are taking properly prescribed dosages of Adderall, under a doctor's supervision, and simply failed to mention this to the NFL?

OP
OP
E

ensett

Reaction score
Schefter just said on ESPN Seattle that he doesnt know when Sherman and BB were tested, it could have been as far back training camp, but the news has been out there for about a week

Rocket

Reaction score
The word of a suspension might have effected their play yesterday...
might could 'splain them long Miami drives.

49fansince70

Reaction score
First off, I'm in the camp that there are a lot of professional athletes that are using PED's, just some happen to get caught. I have no choice but to think that, as I'm a fan of the San Francisco Giants.

Strategically, though, wouldn't it make the most sense for the two players to serve their suspensions ASAP?
1) Playoffs aren't all that likely
2) Team would benefit from better draft position
3) Get the issue put behind as quickly as possible so it doesn't stay in the media spotilght and they can get back to ripping Harbaugh.

OP
OP
E

ensett

Reaction score
49fansince70":2eu0spgi said:
First off, I'm in the camp that there are a lot of professional athletes that are using PED's, just some happen to get caught. I have no choice but to think that, as I'm a fan of the San Francisco Giants.

Strategically, though, wouldn't it make the most sense for the two players to serve their suspensions ASAP?
1) Playoffs aren't all that likely
2) Team would benefit from better draft position
3) Get the issue put behind as quickly as possible so it doesn't stay in the media spotilght and they can get back to ripping Harbaugh.

How are playoffs not likely? Seahawks hold the 6th seed in their hand right now. Why are you making stuff up?
Draft position is a bunch of mumbo jumbo, it only helps if your staff sucks at scouting. Draft position is irrelevant.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
If it was only one of them I could possibly see it, but both at the same time makes me suspicious of the NFL.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Grandpa always used to say, if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't true :les:

I am starting to wonder if the out-of-nowhere stardom of our two unheralded CBs was just a little too good to be true. A 5th round second year player and a CFL reclamation project all of a sudden are the best CB duo in the NFL?

It was an awesome story, and I bought in just like everyone else, but it sure seems improbable looking back on it all now. How well Sherm and Browner have played did seem too good to be true at times. If they were using PEDs, maybe Grandpa was right.

Time will tell

NorCal

Reaction score
I am just curious and maybe its been asked already, but would fans rather them sit out the four games this year or the first four next season?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":295miq1o said:
Grandpa always used to say, if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't true :les:

I am starting to wonder if the out-of-nowhere stardom of our two unheralded CBs was just a little too good to be true. A 5th round second year player and a CFL reclamation project all of a sudden are the best CB duo in the NFL?

It was an awesome story, and I bought in just like everyone else, but it sure seems improbable looking back on it all now. How well Sherm and Browner have played did seem too good to be true at times. If they were using PEDs, maybe Grandpa was right.

Time will tell

Get off the ledge. Wait for the appeal to be heard.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":ejblhi71 said:

Time will tell

You have a bizarre idea of how PEDs work. They don't grant superpowers.

kidhawk

Reaction score
NorCal":2rc0y7vm said:
I am just curious and maybe its been asked already, but would fans rather them sit out the four games this year or the first four next season?

4 games next year, no question. It would give the team an entire off season to game plan for it. Right now, you have no trade options. Let's say we know it's coming next season, we could sign free agents to fill the roles. When the suspensions are over, then you have 2 extra starting quality CB's to put on the market to fill other possible holes from injury. Right now, if they are both suspended for 4 weeks, our season is in DEEP trouble.

NorCal

Reaction score
kidhawk":2tk4yoq3 said:
NorCal":2tk4yoq3 said:

4 games next year, no question. It would give the team an entire off season to game plan for it. Right now, you have no trade options. Let's say we know it's coming next season, we could sign free agents to fill the roles. When the suspensions are over, then you have 2 extra starting quality CB's to put on the market to fill other possible holes from injury. Right now, if they are both suspended for 4 weeks, our season is in DEEP trouble.

Good points. Being able to plan accordingly is a much better situation. Once there is an opportunity in the NFL, teams have to seize it. Its all about just getting into the playoffs, because you never know what will happen. There are 3 teams I would be more nervous about the Niners playing in the playoffs: Giants, Saints and Seahawks.

At the very least I hope the Niner @ Sea game is very important. I look at Sea as a rival, and I would love for that game to have Sea's playoffs hopes on the line.

I think Sherman/Browner will at least get to play at CHI.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
volsunghawk":lwqdby6q said:
Missing_Clink":lwqdby6q said:

Time will tell

tell that to shawn merriman

Backdoor Bandito

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3m4c5mua said:
volsunghawk":3m4c5mua said:
Missing_Clink":3m4c5mua said:

Time will tell

Merriman was on steroids not aderall

tell that to shawn merriman

themunn

Reaction score
Basis4day":2p0nebn3 said:
Moffit. Everyone forgets.

Exactly. The only reason people remember Merriman is because it was a HUGE saga at the time, and everyone thinks the drop off in production was because he was no longer "roiding" (even though he managed 17 sacks in 12 games the season he tested positive, and then 12.5 the season before suffering from terrible injuries in his 4th and 5th seasons)

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
manders2600":2iwg6ymc said:
You really think all these DBs from the same team just happen to be diagnosed with ADHD, are taking properly prescribed dosages of Adderall, under a doctor's supervision, and simply failed to mention this to the NFL?

I have no idea honestly -- I'll admit that it seems highly unlikely. You're right. I'm just throwing that out as a possibility. Until we have all the facts, it's hard for me to really offer a good informed opinion. I simply threw that out there. Now I will say this as far as Adderall is concerned. You would get the same basic effect from it that you would if you pounded several cups of coffee. In fact, here's the real test if you want to know if someone has ADHD or not. What happens to that person if they have a lot of coffee? For the person without it ... coffee will naturally wire them up. For the person WITH ADHD though ... it will calm them down ... and a high enough stimulant level (coffee, Adderall, etc.) will actually put them to sleep. There's your test.

As I said though, until we have some real hard evidence and facts regarding this case ... it's hard to offer anything of any true use.

kmedic

Reaction score
1.) Who's the drug dealer in the group? That's what I wanna know. We all know that guys in the locker room hang out in cliques, and usually by personnel groupings. So far we have Winston Guy, Brandon Browner, and Richard Sherman all being caught taking Adderal this season. So who in the DB group is feeding this crap to these guys? Those of us who are older (like yours truly) know how easy it is to make stupid decisions when you're in your 20's, even in your 30's. We have to remember that these guys are puppies, just out of college. It's easy to be influenced when you're hanging out with the wrong people. It's imperative that we find out who the idiot is that is feeding our Pro Bowl DB's drugs and smash him out. It could be an agent, it could be another player, it could be a trainer, who the hell knows, but the organization better get to the bottom of it and get rid of the source.

2.) If we assume that Browner and Sherman have been taking this crap then how will they perform when they're off drugs? Adderal is supposed to make you feel like your Einstein and Superman all at once. If they're off of it, what will their "real" abilities be? Will they not be the players that we're used to? How much will their play drop off? Has this all been a farce that we've been observing? As a fan, I feel extremely cheated. I thought of this defense as a top caliber defense in the NFL and now I don't know what to believe anymore...

sam1313

Reaction score
You are giving Adderal way too much credit. These guys will be fine without it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually diminished their performance.

I do wonder where they are getting it though...