Shaun Alexander in ROH!

themunn

Reaction score
I do know that once the offensive line was shaken up with the departure of Hutchinson, there were no longer wide open running lanes, and as a result, Alexander struggled to put up numbers. It wasn't his foot injury, because look at his first three games in 2006 before that happened. Averaged less than 3 yards per carry, and less than 1 TD a game. He couldn't make things happen by himself.

It's been objectively proven that Dickerson could put up better yards and touchdowns in a season than Walter Payton ever could. But if you watched them play and look at the situations, you gotta say Payton was the better RB.

Either way, when I say he's the second best RB in team history, I mean that as a compliment, not a slight. We have had probably a hundred running backs or more on the active roster in team history, so that puts him well within the top 1%. So I think it's a compliment, and I'm glad he's in the ring of honor.

It's such a shame that the entire legacy of Shaun Alexander's ability comes down to a 3 game stretch with a new O-Line at the start of a season.

I could say the same for Marshawn, who ran behind the league's highest paid O-line (and, who we now know looked much worse than they actually were because they had to accomodate for Russell Wilson).

In the first 3 games of 2015 (his last season with us, before he got injured), he averaged 3.4 YPC - clearly the line was shaken up without Max Unger, and with running lanes not as open as they used to be, Lynch struggled to put up numbers.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Well deserved honor for Shaun Alexander. He’s one of my all time favorite Seahawks. In his prime, he was just plain smooth running the ball. I think that may be part of the reason some fans were(are?)down on him. At times he made it look too easy. So those tougher yards were perceived as him not running as hard. A victim of his own success.
People appreciate 'physical' RBs because that's what 'real' football players do.

Shaun was amazing. Legit one of the top all-time Seahawks at ANY position, let alone running back. Very deserved honor.

Reactions: FPD

fenderbender123

Reaction score
3.4ypc is 0.5 better than what Shaun averaged in his decline year. We could also argue that Lynch had to suffer through Darrel Bevell's scheme. I also remember that whenever Maurice Morris came in, he'd often have success too, averaging over 4 ypc in the 2005 season.

I don't know, to me it all comes down to what I saw with my eyes. I watched Marshawn get tougher yards, break tackles, and wear out defenses. They're both great, and I didn't mean a slight against him by saying I think he's second best in franchise history.

But without Lynch, we don't win the Super Bowl. Our offense would have been somewhat inept. Defenses loaded the box to stop him and that opened up the deep ball for Russ.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
With this new (seemingly) lower threshold for the HOF I think SA37 absolutely deserves a spot in Canton.
Alexander has scored more TD's (100) than 18 of the 25 RB's in the HOF, he is 8th all time for RB's in TD's and when you include WR's & TE's he is 17th all time in TD's. The former league MVP played 9 years with his first year (2000) and his last year (2008 WASH) totaling 337 yards and two TD's. Show me another RB with comparable production in 7 years.

Rushing
Gale Sayers 4956 yds-39TD (7 years)
S. Alexander 9453 yds-100TD (9 years)
He has the numbers and I'll add that he was named to the all decade team for the 2000's, but even though he's been eligible for HOF induction for 9 years, he has yet to be named as a finalist.

I suspect some of the reasoning for his not being HOF worthy was the way his career ended, with a resounding thud. That's decidedly different than the way Sayers career ended, a knee injury at the height of his career during a period of time when knee surgeries were a step above amputation compared to today's procedures.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think we as a fan base underrate Alexander and what he did and for whatever reason he isn't as revered as others who've done less. I'm glad they are doing this, as its overdue.

chris98251

Reaction score
Shaun Alexander is the greatest RB in team history, and it isn't really an objective argument. Now, you can say you love Marshawn and he's your favorite RB of all time and that's all fine. I'm not going to argue with any of that. Marshawn had many amazing moments for sure. Heck, I was front and center for the greatest running play we've ever seen so I get the love 100%.

However ---- turn on your brain, and #37 is the greatest runner we've seen and any other argument is based on emotion, not facts.
Alexander had the line, Warner was injured by a seam from the pitchers mound area in the Kingdome and was never quite the same, he was a phenomenal back before that injury. Lynch did everything he did with practically nothing to help.

Stats are nice to look at, but seeing them play Alexander was 4th, Lynch, Warner, Watters, and then Alexander in my book based on what they did and what they did it with.

knownone

Reaction score
Alexander has always been underrated, somewhat fair, given the guys he played with and the general perception of his talent level. However, he has one of the best five-year stretches in NFL history. And if it weren't for Ladanian Tomlinson, he'd be in the conversation for the best RB of the early-mid 2000s. Similarly, if Terrell Davis is in the hall of fame, Alexander deserves serious consideration. Both have MVPs, played behind historic O-lines, and Alexander absolutely crushes Davis in touchdowns. I know voters put a lot of weight in post-season success and rings, but is that a fair barometer?

Anyway, it's about damn time they put him in the Ring of Honor. He's the only MVP in team history, and it's taken them this long to bring him into the fold.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The other thing here is that SA played on a virtual deserted island, especially around the turn of the century in the pre-LOB days. I don't care to sound like a bellyacher homer fan, but the fact is that had SA won a league MVP, was named to the all decade team, and put up the career numbers that he did AND played for the Dallas Cowboys in doing so, he would have been in on the first ballot.

Having said that, I don't like how the HOF has lowered their standards like they have and lobbying for SA's admission would be hypocritical for me as I don't think he rises to my idea of a HOF'er. Admitting guys like Drew Pearson and Kenny Stabler is outrageous.

BASF

Reaction score
It is so weird that no one seems to remember that Alexander's foot was injured in the fourth quarter of game one of the 2006 season. He decided to play on it because "God would heal his foot." Holmgren allowing him to continue to play on it was the worse decision of his coaching career. It wasn't until the Giants game when his foot got worse.

Other than that, one of the posters earlier nailed it. Some of these people only respect the Earl Campbells and the Marion Barbers. The business decisions that Alexander made are no where near as bad as the Lockett decisions nowadays, yet no one complains about him like the SA detractors did back then. I have no problem with Lockett's for the most part except when he could literally get three or four more yards and still get down, but I am not on here bringing him up like SH with Tre Flowers.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Well I certainly hope nobody thinks I'm slighting Shaun. Being called the second best running back in franchise history is a huge compliment. Massive.

Last edited:

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
It is so weird that no one seems to remember that Alexander's foot was injured in the fourth quarter of game one of the 2006 season. He decided to play on it because "God would heal his foot." Holmgren allowing him to continue to play on it was the worse decision of his coaching career. It wasn't until the Giants game when his foot got worse.

Other than that, one of the posters earlier nailed it. Some of these people only respect the Earl Campbells and the Marion Barbers. The business decisions that Alexander made are no where near as bad as the Lockett decisions nowadays, yet no one complains about him like the SA detractors did back then. I have no problem with Lockett's for the most part except when he could literally get three or four more yards and still get down, but I am not on here bringing him up like SH with Tre Flowers.
I don't complain here, but when I'm watching the game? Lockett has turned into a candy ass.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The "stabbed in the back" comment goes in the negative category with his soft running style, penchant for going out of bounds and perceived advantage due to his line. These things probably soften the edge of the legacy he could have had.

He certainly put up some good numbers though, cant deny that