Shaun Alexander in ROH!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And depending on if the game gets moved to a different time, a LOT of people are going to have a choice to make. MLB totally crapping the bed on this one. They could have easily made the M's games on Sat and Mon and kept the Hawks right where they are. He more than deserves to be in the ROH. Looking forward to Sunday.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Shaun Alexander is the greatest RB in team history, and it isn't really an objective argument. Now, you can say you love Marshawn and he's your favorite RB of all time and that's all fine. I'm not going to argue with any of that. Marshawn had many amazing moments for sure. Heck, I was front and center for the greatest running play we've ever seen so I get the love 100%.

However ---- turn on your brain, and #37 is the greatest runner we've seen and any other argument is based on emotion, not facts.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Put Marshawn behind the 2005 line, and he'd be the all time single season TD record holder today.
I guess you could conjecture that --- but Shaun Alexander set the record to date for TDs and was league MVP, so if you're going to use that season as your argument, I'll take the known vs. the hypothetical.

seabowl

Reaction score
Alexander was an incredibly gifted and natural runner. He had a great college and pro career.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am happy for him and it is long deserved. He was an exceptional runner for us but last impressions are everything and apparently most fans seem to recall his final year where perhaps he was running out of bounds more than going for those extra yards on a play. He was looked at as "soft" and self-serving in the end and it's truly a shame because to Hawkstorian's point, you and I may have more love for Lynch in general, objectively, it was Alexander that was our overall best running back in franchise history to-date.

acer1240

Reaction score
Alexander was an unstoppable force in the red zone. I miss knowing that a td was almost guaranteed when we got inside the 20. People forget that he had better stats running right better than left. Dude was absolutely amazing. He had that weird Russ/religion vibe about him so I think that's why some are hesitant to acknowledge him.

Marshawn's punch you in the mouth running style and his personality won everyone's love (for good reason) but on 4th and goal I'd take Alexander every time.

I'd even argue he should be in the hof.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SA was our only league MVP in franchise history, and to do it in a league that is as quarterback centric as the NFL has become over the past 30 or so years is truly remarkable. Although I don't think his resume is strong enough for him to don a gold jacket, his presence in the ROH is long overdue.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I guess you could conjecture that --- but Shaun Alexander set the record to date for TDs and was league MVP, so if you're going to use that season as your argument, I'll take the known vs. the hypothetical.

I do know that once the offensive line was shaken up with the departure of Hutchinson, there were no longer wide open running lanes, and as a result, Alexander struggled to put up numbers. It wasn't his foot injury, because look at his first three games in 2006 before that happened. Averaged less than 3 yards per carry, and less than 1 TD a game. He couldn't make things happen by himself.

It's been objectively proven that Dickerson could put up better yards and touchdowns in a season than Walter Payton ever could. But if you watched them play and look at the situations, you gotta say Payton was the better RB.

Either way, when I say he's the second best RB in team history, I mean that as a compliment, not a slight. We have had probably a hundred running backs or more on the active roster in team history, so that puts him well within the top 1%. So I think it's a compliment, and I'm glad he's in the ring of honor.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Well deserved honor for Shaun Alexander. He’s one of my all time favorite Seahawks. In his prime, he was just plain smooth running the ball. I think that may be part of the reason some fans were(are?)down on him. At times he made it look too easy. So those tougher yards were perceived as him not running as hard. A victim of his own success.

Seahawker

Reaction score
SA was our only league MVP in franchise history, and to do it in a league that is as quarterback centric as the NFL has become over the past 30 or so years is truly remarkable. Although I don't think his resume is strong enough for him to don a gold jacket, his presence in the ROH is long overdue.
With this new (seemingly) lower threshold for the HOF I think SA37 absolutely deserves a spot in Canton.
Alexander has scored more TD's (100) than 18 of the 25 RB's in the HOF, he is 8th all time for RB's in TD's and when you include WR's & TE's he is 17th all time in TD's. The former league MVP played 9 years with his first year (2000) and his last year (2008 WASH) totaling 337 yards and two TD's. Show me another RB with comparable production in 7 years.

Rushing
Gale Sayers 4956 yds-39TD (7 years)
S. Alexander 9453 yds-100TD (9 years)