Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ln9yq80 said:
Sgt. Largent":2ln9yq80 said:
Uncle Si":2ln9yq80 said:
Isn't that effectively what the league did for Seattle and Dempsey?

Also, why would Nagbe choose Celtic over the MLS? The only thing they offer over the MLS is 6 Champs league games.

Celtic just signed Kouassi Eboue... not sure what impact that has on their pursuit of Nagbe. Not effectively similar players but both are money on the books.

The league absolutely facilitates where DP's play, but it's a combo of cost and options of where the DP wants to play.

I highly doubt Blanco would choose Portland over Seattle..........this to me seems different, like the league REALLY wants that Nagbe transfer money so they're sweetening the pot for Portland by switching Blanco's destination from Seattle to Portland for roughly the same loan fees.

So the only difference here is the team it benefits? Because it certainly wanted its most dynamic US player at the time in the city with the largest crowd

I have no idea what you're saying Si.

All I know is the Timber's rejected the rumored 2M transfer fee from Celtic in December, now all of a sudden with the prospects of getting Blanco they're open to letting Nagbe go.

That stinks of the league meddling............and it's not just like Dempsey coming here because there was no other Dempsey rumor out there, which means it didn't affect other clubs who were suppose to get him and got screwed cause we lost our DP and needed a replacement more than them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Im saying the MLS meddled in being sure Dempsey ended up at Seattle.

Which is fine. Just seems disingenuous to be upset that perhaps it was aiding Portland this time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2bmihuty said:

Which is fine. Just seems disingenuous to be upset that perhaps it was aiding Portland this time.

I wouldn't be upset if Blanco wasn't rumored to be coming here first.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30dyrkjk said:
Uncle Si":30dyrkjk said:

I wouldn't be upset if Blanco wasn't rumored to be coming here first.

I guess I barely see the difference, but I do see it.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":18l90lcf said:
Glasgow Seahawk":18l90lcf said:
Uncle Si":18l90lcf said:
Isn't that effectively what the league did for Seattle and Dempsey?

Also, why would Nagbe choose Celtic over the MLS? The only thing they offer over the MLS is 6 Champs league games.

Celtic just signed Kouassi Eboue... not sure what impact that has on their pursuit of Nagbe. Not effectively similar players but both are money on the books.

Celtic are a far, far bigger club than Portland and any MLS team that's why and have a coach who at the moment is getting the best out of his talent with Brendan Rodgers. They are just hamstrung by being in a small league/country but have a bigger support than most EPL teams. Plus if he does well there he is far likely to get a move to a top EPL team see: Van Dijk, Wanyama, Forster etc.

I don't think Celtic are still interested in Nagbe though, I think Portland were pretty firm in their demands...at least for noe.

I know who Celtic are... and Brendan Rodgers.

Far bigger club in a league that, at best, is equal to the MLS. Much the same as going to Ajax for example. Big name, solid fan base, play 6 Euro games a season and drift off into the shadows only to repeat again in the Summer.

Celtic is a stepping stone for ambitious players to Europe, nothing more (again, much like Ajax). So, my point was, if Nagbe is ambitious why choose Celtic at this point? He's 26... why choose another stepping stone.

Because Nagbe is still super raw and still hasn't found his position and probably nowhere near ready for going to a top level EPL club. I think a club like Celtic could bring out his potential that he doesn't always show. If he can be good for 2 years and do well in the big games, he'd get his move. Celtic are also spending a lot more money due to CL money.

While the SPL isn't the best standard, the pressure Celtic players get put under to succeed is immense and usually sorts out the mentally weaker players. Glasgow soccer players are pretty much like gods there and are idolized all over the city/country and a lot of players can't handle that, especially as mistakes are scrutinized (especially in big games) and players have to be consistent. If Nagbe can handle that and keeps improving then he would get his big move. Worked for Claudio Reyna who went on to the EPL whereas Bedoya/Edu got absolutely shown up.

Dembele is a recent example of this, coming from Fulham and will probably end up at a top EPL club.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I agree on Nagbe, Glas... but he's 26. In all honesty where ever he moves next is his final home. I would have thought he could find a place in a Championship side (like Newcastle perhaps) or even get brought into one of the bigger leagues as a role player in the winter and challenge more in 2017. I don't see a first "big" move for a player at 27/28, not in Europe at least.

Dembele is a bit different in that he's like 18/19 years old. Kid has his whole career in front of him.

Morris, on the other hand, would do well with a move to a place like Celtic. While I think the league is under his quality, the club and its stature would get him more looks in England or Germany, where I think he should be as soon as possible.

I was not disparaging Celtic, by the way. Taking away the nonsense that surrounds the rivalry with Rangers, its a great club. Just think it's not a great landing place for Nagbe, unless he wants it to be his final destination.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2kg1oxbv said:
I agree on Nagbe, Glas... but he's 26. In all honesty where ever he moves next is his final home. I would have thought he could find a place in a Championship side (like Newcastle perhaps) or even get brought into one of the bigger leagues as a role player in the winter and challenge more in 2017. I don't see a first "big" move for a player at 27/28, not in Europe at least.

Dembele is a bit different in that he's like 18/19 years old. Kid has his whole career in front of him.

Morris, on the other hand, would do well with a move to a place like Celtic. While I think the league is under his quality, the club and its stature would get him more looks in England or Germany, where I think he should be as soon as possible.

I was not disparaging Celtic, by the way. Taking away the nonsense that surrounds the rivalry with Rangers, its a great club. Just think it's not a great landing place for Nagbe, unless he wants it to be his final destination.

I don't think the Championship standard is that great, same with the bottom half of the EPL. Yes those leagues have a good bit of money but rather than quality it leads to average/mediocre players being extremely over paid, especially overhyped English players. Don't get me wrong the Championship is brutal to get out of and really competitive but its a physical league rather than skilled. I'd argue Yedlin at this point has arguably underachieved. Always though he could have done better than bottom of the EPL/Championship. Both Newcastle and Sunderland are dumpster fires with ownership and coaches. Going to Spurs in the first place was probably the wrong move since it was a long shot at making the team. I'm sure his bank balance disagrees though but the jump from the Sounders to Spurs was probably a bit much right away.

As for Morris, if he is to make it in a bigger league, he has to develop a left foot. He barely gets away with it for the Sounders being so one footed. He has the pace, awareness and other tools to make it but that left foot really, really has to be improved. I'd like him at Celtic eventually too but i'm guessing the Sounders will want big money for him in a couple of years and he seems like the type of player that will end up somewhere like a mid table German team rather than the EPL hype train.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I completely agree on the quality. I meant more the pay. If Nagbe is making his move at 26 money has to be a significant factor. I just can't see him developing into a player at 28/29 that bigger clubs will want to take a run at.

Morris should go as soon as possible, to be honest. I know that probably chafes Sounder fans, but if he wants to maximize his earning potential overseas it has to be while he is young. I can't see those leagues paying good money for a mid-level attacking player already 24/25 years of age from the states. Any money spent on him is as much about potential as current quality.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3n6yd3xn said:
I completely agree on the quality. I meant more the pay. If Nagbe is making his move at 26 money has to be a significant factor. I just can't see him developing into a player at 28/29 that bigger clubs will want to take a run at.

Morris should go as soon as possible, to be honest. I know that probably chafes Sounder fans, but if he wants to maximize his earning potential overseas it has to be while he is young. I can't see those leagues paying good money for a mid-level attacking player already 24/25 years of age from the states. Any money spent on him is as much about potential as current quality.

I think one more good year and he's gone, and that's the way it probably should be..........as much as I'd love to see him stay.

As Glasgow mentioned, Morris still has some technical development to do before moving on.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I have to say that doesn't make much sense. Why does one more year in the MLS make more sense than a year in the Bundesliga, EPL, etc.?

His technical game will development as much, probably more, in those much more competitive leagues, no? You can imagine that even the better coaching and competition he'd see in training would help his game more than your average week in the MLS.

If he's good enough (which i think he is, I'm surprised his name has not been out more in the Jan. window rumors) then he should go. If he's not (which maybe he's not) I don't think he will be the player that people want him to be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3zzxt3xs said:
I have to say that doesn't make much sense. Why does one more year in the MLS make more sense than a year in the Bundesliga, EPL, etc.?

His technical game will development as much, probably more, in those much more competitive leagues, no? You can imagine that even the better coaching and competition he'd see in training would help his game more than your average week in the MLS.

If he's good enough (which i think he is, I'm surprised his name has not been out more in the Jan. window rumors) then he should go. If he's not (which maybe he's not) I don't think he will be the player that people want him to be.

I guess it would depend on where in Europe.

In the MLS Morris is a 90 minutes starter and a key player on the Sounders, which provides a very good situation for him to grow.

Yes the competition is better in other leagues, but so is the competition for minutes on his own club. So there's a distinct possibility that he wouldn't even start, or play sparingly for years.

If he goes to a middle to lower table club? Then yes, I could see that being more beneficial than staying here. So I guess it'd depend on the club and situation before I'd agree with you.

Has Yedlin grown as a player since he left? He's now been on three clubs in two years, with a less than stellar appearance mark. It's been better this year at Newcastle.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
always the possibility that Yedlin was never good enough for Europe, especially a top team. He was prone to defensive errors with Seattle in the MLS. He was shifted away from the defensive role with USMNT. Put him in a league with consistent quality and he was exposed.

If Morris is good enough, the league he plays at will bring it out of him.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Always thought Yedlin would have been better as a RM with his pace. I think it would be hard to succeed though at a team like Sunderland. They are a mess.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":js5c4v0v said:
Always thought Yedlin would have been better as a RM with his pace. I think it would be hard to succeed though at a team like Sunderland. They are a mess.

Jurgen tried that, and it wasn't very successful.

Don't think Yedlin has the technical ability and accurate crosses to be a good RM, especially in the EPL.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":14h1obnk said:

He likely wouldn't get a game right away and would be stuck in a reserve team at a bigger league. He is still super raw. You'll learn more with a regular run of games in the first team than you will with the youth team and MLS is a relatively safe environment to do so and get away with mistakes.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Si, Glasgow, knowone, SeatownJay, Smurf, and Sgt. Largent. Thank you for your posts on the international players. I'm not following these leagues as much as I should but your posts about leagues abroad and the players are awesome. They are keeping us informed. One the reasons I love Seahawks.net. Your knowledge about the sport is unparalleled. While there are some areas we may not always agree, I respect your knowledge and your contributions to the site. I'm learning quite a bit from the posts as well. Again, thank you and keep up the great work!!!

Smurf

Reaction score
The MLS Superdraft happened yesterday,

Sounders traded their first pick (#16) for $75k of General Allocation Money to NYCFC (who originally owned the pick).

With their first pick (#22) they selected CB Brian Nana-Sinkham out of Stanford. He's a 2 time NCAA National Champion and from what I understand pretty good technically and can pass well.

With their second pick (#44) they selected MF Dominic Oduro (Not that one). Oduro is a defensive midfielder more in the mold of a #6 than a #8. He is got some pace to him as well.

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3fewn0tz said:
Si, Glasgow, knowone, SeatownJay, Smurf, and Sgt. Largent. Thank you for your posts on the international players. I'm not following these leagues as much as I should but your posts about leagues abroad and the players are awesome. They are keeping us informed. One the reasons I love Seahawks.net. Your knowledge about the sport is unparalleled. While there are some areas we may not always agree, I respect your knowledge and your contributions to the site. I'm learning quite a bit from the posts as well. Again, thank you and keep up the great work!!!

I am always happy to help. Soccer is a huge passion of mine and I love sharing the game with people, even those who I disagree with from time to time. :)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Smurf":2bs55jkz said:
The MLS Superdraft happened yesterday,

Sounders traded their first pick (#16) for $75k of General Allocation Money to NYCFC (who originally owned the pick).

With their first pick (#22) they selected CB Brian Nana-Sinkham out of Stanford. He's a 2 time NCAA National Champion and from what I understand pretty good technically and can pass well.

With their second pick (#44) they selected MF Dominic Oduro (Not that one). Oduro is a defensive midfielder more in the mold of a #6 than a #8. He is got some pace to him as well.

Sounds like the stanford guy is a cheap long term replacement for marshall. Sounds like he was good at college but the college standard is questionnable. Hope he plays the open cup games.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Minnesota United went attacking with their pick. They now have Danladi to pair with Ramirez and Ibarra and Lang underneath. That's a pretty good start, although I'm a bit surprised they went for a college player at #1.

Danladi teammate and MN born Jackson Yueill went #6 to San Jose. Coached against his dad yesterday. Exciting day for MN soccer