Seattle Sounders 2017 season thread

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1kj9dycj said:
Minnesota United went attacking with their pick. They now have Danladi to pair with Ramirez and Ibarra and Lang underneath. That's a pretty good start, although I'm a bit surprised they went for a college player at #1.

Danladi teammate and MN born Jackson Yueill went #6 to San Jose. Coached against his dad yesterday. Exciting day for MN soccer

Whats very interesting is how the recent expansion teams are building their rosters.

NYCFC has now paid Triple digit fee's for top picks in the draft (to take american attackers) twice.

Atlanta United is spending A LOT for talent up top and back filling.

The Loons roster seems more well rounded then the others. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I think teams learned from nyc fc on how not to build a team . They put all their eggs in the basket with lampard and pretty much had no money, left it too late to build their defense and depth in their first season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Loons... its our state bird.

If Minnesota United is anything like Minnesota FC then it will be built with defense, quick possession and countering. they have 4 players through the middle with those abilities (although I have reservations about Ramirez's abilities and pace at this level).

They will build a strong back line and very good wing backs to add pressure from the width. Davis has been held over from the NASL squad. I'm excited for him. Sort of a James Milner type outside back: converted midfielder, sees the game well and runs into attacking spaces with lots of energy.

Not sure if MU have the finances to do much more at the moment. They have to build their stadium. The Reserve/Academy unit is still "in process" with a deal with Shattuck St. Marys to host it falling through. Now they are going to have a U14 DA team in the Summer and build from there. Not sure where the money will come from.

Will be interesting to see the direction youth soccer takes here in the next 2 years

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22z7vvjs said:
Loons... its our state bird.

If Minnesota United is anything like Minnesota FC then it will be built with defense, quick possession and countering. they have 4 players through the middle with those abilities (although I have reservations about Ramirez's abilities and pace at this level).

They will build a strong back line and very good wing backs to add pressure from the width. Davis has been held over from the NASL squad. I'm excited for him. Sort of a James Milner type outside back: converted midfielder, sees the game well and runs into attacking spaces with lots of energy.

Not sure if MU have the finances to do much more at the moment. They have to build their stadium. The Reserve/Academy unit is still "in process" with a deal with Shattuck St. Marys to host it falling through. Now they are going to have a U14 DA team in the Summer and build from there. Not sure where the money will come from.

Will be interesting to see the direction youth soccer takes here in the next 2 years

Apologies about the wrong letter.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":gxpmwise said:

Only point it out because "Toons" is a real nickname of Newcastle...

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":35piqjb5 said:
Smurf":35piqjb5 said:

Only point it out because "Toons" is a real nickname of Newcastle...

Totally get it, I was actually on Newcastle's subreddit reading about Yedlin at the time...so not shocking why I messed up.

Smurf

Reaction score
Former Sounders midfielder, Gonzalo Pineda, has accepted a position on Brian Schmetzers coaching staff. This news coming after Sounders assistant Ante Razov left for LA Galaxy

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Ivanschitz and Mears both officially gone. Wonder if Evans goes to RB or if they bring in a long term signing there?

Saw a small rumor about Montero coming back. The Chinese league are only allowing 3 foreigners per team and his team have 7. His wife is from Seattle. If Dempsey can't play but be worth keeping an eye on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1lyx84tp said:
Ivanschitz and Mears both officially gone. Wonder if Evans goes to RB or if they bring in a long term signing there?

Saw a small rumor about Montero coming back. The Chinese league are only allowing 3 foreigners per team and his team have 7. His wife is from Seattle. If Dempsey can't play but be worth keeping an eye on.

IMO Fredy would fit in great, especially with a distributor like Lodeiro feeding him. That was always his issue here, no one to get him the ball or work in tight spaces with him.............cause he still has the quickest feet and shot I've ever seen in a Sounder's kit.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zuv9ecj said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2zuv9ecj said:

IMO Fredy would fit in great, especially with a distributor like Lodeiro feeding him. That was always his issue here, no one to get him the ball or work in tight spaces with him.............cause he still has the quickest feet and shot I've ever seen in a Sounder's kit.

I liked Montero, when he was on it he was great. He was also streaky as hell at points which infuriated me. Wonder if he ever got more consistency. Always wonder what type of player we would get in return. Feel like Fernandez is a shadow of the player we had in 2011.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3emngnxi said:
Sgt. Largent":3emngnxi said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3emngnxi said:

I liked Montero, when he was on it he was great. He was also streaky as hell at points which infuriated me. Wonder if he ever got more consistency. Always wonder what type of player we would get in return. Feel like Fernandez is a shadow of the player we had in 2011.

Hard to follow players in China, other than just looking at stats........but yeah he seems to still be a little streaky looking at his stats. Seems to be averaging goals about what he did here, in the 8-12 a year range.

I love Fredy, but he wouldn't be my first choice for a 3rd DP, especially seeing the other rumored names. But I do think he'd fit back in nicely with the current makeup of the club, cause he wouldn't be expected to carry the entire offensive load.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I've been really impressed with Dallas recent products...do they get good talent from Mexico or is it all coaching?

Surprised the Galaxy are second. Other than Zardes i'd struggle to tell you one of their products, always struck me as a big money signing team.

Speaking of the Sounders, Darwin Jones has left and went to a lower division team. Always thought he looked good for S2 but he seemed to choke/ could never produce for the first team and he got a few chances at points. Wonder if he will develop better at a lower level.

Smurf

Reaction score
Tyrone Mears is reportedly signing with Atlanta United. Curious how that will work out. They have the #1 spot in the allocation order, and I THINK we control Mears MLS rights...

For those wondering, we would need the move up the allocation order to even sign Montero.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fpq0wr1 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3fpq0wr1 said:
Sgt. Largent":3fpq0wr1 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3fpq0wr1 said:

Hard to follow players in China, other than just looking at stats........but yeah he seems to still be a little streaky looking at his stats. Seems to be averaging goals about what he did here, in the 8-12 a year range.

I love Fredy, but he wouldn't be my first choice for a 3rd DP, especially seeing the other rumored names. But I do think he'd fit back in nicely with the current makeup of the club, cause he wouldn't be expected to carry the entire offensive load.

For what its worth, the Rumor reportedly stemmed from inside his own club, and he is no longer listed as a player on their roster.

Montero is one of the most streaky strikers I've ever seen. 6 weeks hes a god, 6 weeks he's just another body on the pitch.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I think it has to be at the right cash. I doubt we make a move unless Dempsey quits. We have Dempsey, Bruin and Morris right now. I probably expect us to trade for a depth forward to replace Valdez and Gomez unless there is another star youngster coming through that I don't know about.

I don't think at this point we use a DP spot in that position though given we probably need more midfield quality and a long term RB.

Montero may have made a ridiculous about of money in China though...so maybe money isn't his motivation?

As for Mears, I thought he had declined last year, so not sad about seeing him go. Thought Joevin Jones got better as the season went on. If we move up in the allocation order then that's a bonus.

A bit bummed about Ivanschitz but it had to be at the right price.

Smurf

Reaction score
Training officially started today. I went down this morning to take in the sights and get a good close up look of our cup.

Morris, Evans, and Marshall were all missing, as they are with the US Squad.

Nico Lodeiro was also not at training today.

Frei was present but did not participate due to his ankle injury.

Brian Schmetzer came by and greeted each fan in person, shook their hand and had a quick conversations.

Ozzie ran off to the side by himself all session.

Dempsey was a full participant, and looks pretty good.

Steve Zakuani also participated in training, who knows what that means...if anything.

former USMNT CB Gale Agbossoumonde was also looks to be trialing with the team. He looked pretty decent.

Here is a list of the full roster right now:

3RjAM9o

A few of the Academy kids also participated today, among them 16 year old Azriel Gonzalez who looked PHENOMENAL.

Fredy Montero was not at practice today, but is in the city (His wife is a native Seattlite, and he owns a home in Bellevue still). So who knows....