Seattle Seahawks 2013 Offensive Line "Highlights"

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
HawkNuts":qvbb9tkk said:
Tokadub":qvbb9tkk said:
Oh also I didn't "Cherry Pick" these games because they were against good defenses. My intent was to go in chronological order.

EVERY SINGLE GAME I'VE RE-WATCHED SO FAR OUR O-LINE HAS BEEN TERRIBLE!

If youtube does not ban these videos and suspend my account I'll do some more pretty soon most likely.

EDIT: ALSO YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE I GUESS EMBEDDING IS BROKEN ALREADY BECAUSE THE NFL IS HARDCORE WITH INTERWEBS...

You don't win the division and the super bowl with terrible offensive line play.

Actually that's precisely and EXACTLY what we did! Thanks to having an incredible Quarterback and Running Back that are both so insanely good. Even with a horrible offensive line we can at times dominate and at the very worst compete...

With any other QB I really doubt we would have earned home field advantage with this terrible O-Line. Russell Wilson is hands down the best mobile QB despite guys like Luck, Newton, and Rodgers being ranked higher as "mobile QB's" very recently.

"— Russell Wilson is rated the No. 4 “Mobile Passer” behind Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton and Andrew Luck."

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/07/07/what-lindys-is-saying-about-the-seahawks/

Oh also just to :stirthepot: from this same article:

"Lindy’s calls for the Seahawks to win the NFC West, writing: “Seahawks took some off-season hits, but it’s tough to go against a team that hardly ever loses at home.”

Lindy’s, though, then calls for the Seahawks to lose to the Packers in the NFC Championship game, with Denver then defeating Green Bay in the Super Bowl. (That’s actually the same pick the magazine made a year ago, which the magazine acknowledges. Lindy’s pegged Seattle for a wildcard berth in 2013)."

"— Lindy’s rates the top 15 No. 1 receivers and No. 2 receivers, and the top 10 No. 3 receivers, and doesn’t include a Seahawk anywhere on the list. That’s certainly a little of an attention-getter. Undoubtedly, Percy Harvin’s injuries a year ago were a factor there, and maybe also some uncertainty about how it all comes together now with Harvin back but Golden Tate gone (Tate, by the way, also isn’t rated)."

"— Interestingly, just 10 Seahawks were ranked overall as among the best at their position, with 16 teams having more players mentioned on the list. San Francisco had the most, 17, and the Raiders the fewest with three."

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Well the videos haven't been taken down yet, not sure how long that will last but here's Week 3.

This game was a bit goofy to watch and I had some encoding issues so the final edit was even sloppier than usual with more highlights and weird plays than it probably should include.

Week 3 VS Jacksonville Jaguars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OigV9JIwCmc

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This is a lot of work to make a point.

A lowlights video is just as misleading as a highlights video. They provide little actual context. Even stats that rank lines rarely hold clues as to how long the QB holds the ball. Denver's line posted great numbers last year. They suck too. But Denver has a QB with a fast release and receivers that are difficult for most teams to matchup with. Context.

That Seattle's line needs improvement is no mystery anyway. When healthy, the pass blocking was adequate. The short yardage run blocking was bad almost all year.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Tokadub":1tg8gzzt said:
HawkNuts":1tg8gzzt said:
Tokadub":1tg8gzzt said:
Oh also I didn't "Cherry Pick" these games because they were against good defenses. My intent was to go in chronological order.

EVERY SINGLE GAME I'VE RE-WATCHED SO FAR OUR O-LINE HAS BEEN TERRIBLE!

If youtube does not ban these videos and suspend my account I'll do some more pretty soon most likely.

EDIT: ALSO YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE I GUESS EMBEDDING IS BROKEN ALREADY BECAUSE THE NFL IS HARDCORE WITH INTERWEBS...

You don't win the division and the super bowl with terrible offensive line play.

Actually that's precisely and EXACTLY what we did! Thanks to having an incredible Quarterback and Running Back that are both so insanely good. Even with a horrible offensive line we can at times dominate and at the very worst compete...

With any other QB I really doubt we would have earned home field advantage with this terrible O-Line. Russell Wilson is hands down the best mobile QB despite guys like Luck, Newton, and Rodgers being ranked higher as "mobile QB's" very recently.

"— Russell Wilson is rated the No. 4 “Mobile Passer” behind Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton and Andrew Luck."

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/2014/07/07/what-lindys-is-saying-about-the-seahawks/

Oh also just to :stirthepot: from this same article:

"Lindy’s calls for the Seahawks to win the NFC West, writing: “Seahawks took some off-season hits, but it’s tough to go against a team that hardly ever loses at home.”

Lindy’s, though, then calls for the Seahawks to lose to the Packers in the NFC Championship game, with Denver then defeating Green Bay in the Super Bowl. (That’s actually the same pick the magazine made a year ago, which the magazine acknowledges. Lindy’s pegged Seattle for a wildcard berth in 2013)."

"— Lindy’s rates the top 15 No. 1 receivers and No. 2 receivers, and the top 10 No. 3 receivers, and doesn’t include a Seahawk anywhere on the list. That’s certainly a little of an attention-getter. Undoubtedly, Percy Harvin’s injuries a year ago were a factor there, and maybe also some uncertainty about how it all comes together now with Harvin back but Golden Tate gone (Tate, by the way, also isn’t rated)."

"— Interestingly, just 10 Seahawks were ranked overall as among the best at their position, with 16 teams having more players mentioned on the list. San Francisco had the most, 17, and the Raiders the fewest with three."

I've seen horrible offensive lines. This wasn't one of them. What I'm saying is that you don't know what your talking about. Each offensive linemen is given a grade based on their assignment on a particular play. In order to actually break this down you need the "tight" shot from the endzone and you need to know the general assignments of each player on each play. Including the players in the backfield and the tight end.

I love RW but at times he is given too much credit for scrambling. At times receivers aren't getting open. At times RW holds the ball too long. At times the offensive line doesn't block well.

They are easy to bag on because they don't get the opportunity to make spectacular plays. Lynch can run into the back of the guard ten times for no gain. Then he breaks one off for 30 and all is forgiven.

When McGinger was at left tackle the line was pretty bad. But on the whole they were not terrible.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
From what I remember, the line got even worse mid-season and then improved at the end. Injuries obviously played a big role, but wasn't the whole problem.

At no point was the line better than average last season.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Tokadub":3k5yytzx said:
HawkNuts":3k5yytzx said:

Score +1 for Tokadub on this one. That is EXACTLY what we did.

OK, at least "considerably worse than average" line play. Guys did come back for the playoff run and that helped our OL suck a lot less, especially Okung's return. But we still had to win the division with terrible OL play. Turnstile McQuistan at Left Tackle? I think not. That WAS terrible. Everything else seemed like a mix of below average to average, with occasional flashes of goodness. In fairness, our OL faced a murderer's row of opposing defenses, between 49ers twice, Panthers, Cardinals twice, and Rams twice.

One of the season-saving plays was that amazing pass by Wilson against Carolina, just when it looks like he's taking a -20 yard sack from 3 Carolina defenders, he unleashes a prayer that looks like he's trying to throw the ball away, and Baldwin makes that incredible sideline tippy-toe catch. That was one of a half-dozen plays that turned games last season, and without which we don't win the division, home field, and likely not the NFCCG (on the road) or Super Bowl either. (Sherman's pick-6 against Houston was another such play, plus several plays from the Tampa Bay game)

What we are discussing just shows Pete and John's philosophy, that the OL is not a place they want to tie up a lot of salary cap money. It looks like their goal is to get average-to-good OL play at a bargain basement price, to save money for other strategic uses. It will be interesting to see how the Okung and Carpenter contract situations pan out.

justafan

Reaction score
I keep hearing they look for a bargain basement Oline but they have gone out of their way to build an exceptional Oline.Unfortunately it remains a weakness on a strong team.They have spent 2 1st rounders, a 2nd , a 3rd and resigned Unger ,a 2nd rounder to a pretty good contract.They have underperformed for various reasons but Pete and john have spent considerable money and draft picks to try to bring it up to snuff.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2sibhf00 said:
McGinger was at left tackle the line was pretty bad. But on the whole they were not terrible.

No matter how it's foo-fooed, the ranking of 32nd IS "terrible".

Anthony!

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":pt7y260d said:
Not sure I'd agree with this assessment necessarily. On many/most of the highlights, I'm timing the holding of the ball at well over 3.0 seconds. This is about the timing for a 5 step drop with a count to set and throw. That's generally accepted as about the longest you can expect protection to hold.

Many of the plays where he's not getting that time, he's also getting blitzed. Of course, in that instance, the response to the pressure lies with the QB. It's a play where Russell is expected to find the coverage weakness and get the ball out.

I guess I see these highlights and actually come away largely with the opposite opinion. That the protection seems to be working as well as should be expected. There will always be times where a one on one matchup is lost. That happens to even the best of lines.

Could it be better? Sure. But I see these two games and the strongest takeaway I see, is that we call for a LOT of slow developing pass plays. And that Russell needs to improve on handling the blitz pickup. Of course, we have to consider the fact that it was Russell's 19th and 20th starts in the NFL. He's still facing a steep learning curve even at that point in his career.

These two defenses are two of the top 5 defenses in the NFL. I'm not sure how damning these performances are. The Panthers and Niners make good offenses look like that. Just like our defense does.

And yet the break down makes it pretty clear the o-line was the main issue. Notice only 1 sack that was Rws fault

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... crambling/

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Scottemojo":34kz42hz said:
This is a lot of work to make a point.

A lowlights video is just as misleading as a highlights video. They provide little actual context. Even stats that rank lines rarely hold clues as to how long the QB holds the ball. Denver's line posted great numbers last year. They suck too. But Denver has a QB with a fast release and receivers that are difficult for most teams to matchup with. Context.

That Seattle's line needs improvement is no mystery anyway. When healthy, the pass blocking was adequate. The short yardage run blocking was bad almost all year.

I'm not making these videos just to "make a point", you don't have to agree with my opinion that our Offensive Line was terrible. If I really wanted to make a point I wouldn't include all the plays where we still do well even with Offensive Line problems.

I really don't think these videos are misleading, it's literally every play that our Offensive Line either gets destroyed or when I consider them to be significantly outplayed. It's the good AND the bad of our Offensive Line.

Ultimately it comes down to a judgement call for me on which plays to include because some may be considered "borderline" when it comes to Offensive Line failure. I think that most the borderline plays do at least have some kind of meaningful conclusion like Wilson taking a hit, or barely getting the ball out before he takes a hit, scrambling for his life to avoid taking a hit, etc.

Wilson takes a lot of punishment so I think it's important to highlight that as well because we all want him to stay healthy. Sometimes Wilson may hold onto the ball a little too long, but I would argue that nobody is open enough for him to pull the trigger while playing under their very disciplined offensive philosophy "PROTECT THE BALL AT ALL COST!"

I just personally think it's cool being able to watch all these plays in a condensed video since the games are generally 2-2.5 hours long even if you instantly skip all the commercials. I also try to include some other important or impressive "highlight" plays to give a summary of the game.

I don't wanna start some war like I'm "hating" or "bashing" our Offensive Line, I just personally believe that our #32 ranking for pass blocking is pretty close to the truth. Even our run blocking wasn't stellar, on many occasions our RB's got hit in the backfield.

I think we owe a lot of our success to Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch, if we swapped them out for the "League Average Starter" guys at their positions... YIKES it would of been very ugly and we would of lost a ton of games in my opinion.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Here's Week 4 VS the Texans. This might be the best one yet since their pass rush is very good and we nearly lost the game due to our offense. Our defense really bailed us out in this one with 2 interceptions, a fumble recovery, and stopping them in Overtime.

Wilson did have some very nice clutch plays to bring us back late in the game, but I think our Offensive Line looked pretty awful here for the most part.

Week 4 VS Houstan Texans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EARJt8K1ij8

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Tokadub":27g40lq8 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EARJt8K1ij8

If you go to the 2 min mark, that run blocking by Michael Bowie is a thing of beauty. First he shows enough power to knock J.J. Watt off the line of scrimmage, then he runs ahead of Marshawn and pancakes someone 30 yards downfield. I'm glad you included this, as it's rare for a rookie to flash ability like that in just first start.

Then unfortunately on the very next clip Watt beats the rookie inside and stops Turbin for a loss. Back to playing like a rookie. Overall, that was a rocky game for Bowie, but over time he showed steady improvement in each game.

olyfan63

Reaction score
justafan":3rsgg6ao said:
I keep hearing they look for a bargain basement Oline but they have gone out of their way to build an exceptional Oline.Unfortunately it remains a weakness on a strong team.They have spent 2 1st rounders, a 2nd , a 3rd and resigned Unger ,a 2nd rounder to a pretty good contract.They have underperformed for various reasons but Pete and john have spent considerable money and draft picks to try to bring it up to snuff.

Good points!

Pete and John probably feel they have spent all they can afford to on that position group, and take low-cost flyers on guys and see who pans out. From the bargain bin, Sweezy, Bowie, and Bailey did well for us last year. So did bargains Lemuel Jeanpierre and Breno, who we picked up from the Green Bay practice squad. Breno definitely had his moments when healthy.

1st - Okung, played about 50% of snaps, plays at a Pro Bowl level when healthy
1st - Carpenter, when do we say "bust"? Or do we just say underperformer? Or maybe just "goodbye, a 7th rounder beat you out".
2nd - Britt, performance TBD
3rd - Moffitt, gone, out of the league at last check; I thought Moffitt was passably serviceable in 2012 season.

2nd from prior regime re-signed - Unger, Pro Bowl level when healthy,

We now have 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders in our OL, so in theory we should have a kickass O-line.
Hoping to see something resembling that this coming season.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
You guys must not have watched the tape of the Panther game he linked. They were getting heavy pressure rushing just 4.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3gp355bg said:
HawkNuts":3gp355bg said:
McGinger was at left tackle the line was pretty bad. But on the whole they were not terrible.

Where is the 32nd ranking from.

This has us at 27
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -rankings/

I would also foo-foo and say the line we finished the year with, post bye week was average. With McGinger at left tackle it was awful.

Perfundle

Reaction score
olyfan63":1ww1q1te said:
One of the season-saving plays was that amazing pass by Wilson against Carolina, just when it looks like he's taking a -20 yard sack from 3 Carolina defenders, he unleashes a prayer that looks like he's trying to throw the ball away, and Baldwin makes that incredible sideline tippy-toe catch. That was one of a half-dozen plays that turned games last season, and without which we don't win the division, home field, and likely not the NFCCG (on the road) or Super Bowl either. (Sherman's pick-6 against Houston was another such play, plus several plays from the Tampa Bay game)
And bad OLs nearly give up 20-yard sacks all the time, right? The play was amazing, but the fact that Wilson was in a position to take a 20-yard sack is entirely his fault.

Perfundle

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1kk9dvjl said:
HawkNuts":1kk9dvjl said:

It's not a coincidence that the teams that Wilson, Kaepernick, Rodgers, Newton, Pryor, Smith, Manuel and Griffin are on all suck at pass blocking. Mobile QBs make life really hard on OLs. Seattle's line was bad at pass-blocking, but not 32nd-ranked bad; that would be Miami's line.

Perfundle

Reaction score
Tokadub":3jmssq0b said:
it's literally every play that our Offensive Line either gets destroyed or when I consider them to be significantly outplayed. It's the good AND the bad of our Offensive Line.

Ultimately it comes down to a judgement call for me on which plays to include because some may be considered "borderline" when it comes to Offensive Line failure.
By your logic you should be including the entire game if every play is an offensive line failure. Just stop it with the hyperbole.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HawkNuts":tj0iz4ds said:
scutterhawk":tj0iz4ds said:
HawkNuts":tj0iz4ds said:

Where is the 32nd ranking from.

This has us at 27
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -rankings/

I would also foo-foo and say the line we finished the year with, post bye week was average. With McGinger at left tackle it was awful.

Seahawks were 32nd in sack rate and power running success rate.