Seattle people used to root for the Niners.

253hawk

Reaction score
They were my NFC team of choice back in the 80's just because of Joe Montana, so it carried a little bit over into the 90's with Steve Young (mostly because they were the anti-Cowboys.) After the ownership changed, the whole organization turned to poop and I haven't liked them since. Funny how even after the last championship in 1995, I don't remember anyone ever bringing up 'rings' back then...their fan base has turned into one of the most insufferable in all of sports. They just started pulling this self-aggrandizing entitlement crap out of their ass the second they started crawling their way out of the NFCW gutter.

pnwhawk25

Reaction score
My father in-law is an eastern Washington guy and is a 49ers fan. My brother in-law is the definition of bandwagon fan so naturally he was clad in red and gold last season and unsurprisingly claims to be a lifelong Hawks fan. Fortunately there is no love loss between us. Personally, I can’t stand the 49ers. :49ersmall:

kearly

Reaction score
I wasn't much of a 49ers fan, but I always liked them. They were a classy, winning organization in the 80s and 90s that in many ways resemble the current Seahawks team (particularly the HC/GM duo). Pete Carroll and Mike Holmgren were assistant coaches for the 49ers during that period, and both are California natives, in the case of Holmgren he was actually born and raised in SF. Steve Young is a super classy guy, I actually got a signed football from him as a kid.

It is very different today, but I'm glad that if Seattle is to have a super rival, it's SF given their history and prestige.

OP
OP
Lords of Scythia

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
253hawk":1p433ny0 said:
They were my NFC team of choice back in the 80's just because of Joe Montana, so it carried a little bit over into the 90's with Steve Young (mostly because they were the anti-Cowboys.) After the ownership changed, the whole organization turned to poop and I haven't liked them since. Funny how even after the last championship in 1995, I don't remember anyone ever bringing up 'rings' back then...their fan base has turned into one of the most insufferable in all of sports. They just started pulling this self-aggrandizing entitlement crap out of their ass the second they started crawling their way out of the NFCW gutter.
I think it was actually the salary cap and Joe Walsh retiring that turned them into poop. Who's gonna scout and train up a qb to run the WCO when Steve Young can't do it any more?

chris98251

Reaction score
Walsh retiring and Carmen Policy's having to relenquesh to the Yorks is what killed them.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Never rooted or the Whiners. In fact I hate Dallas more than any team in the NFL except one, Jim Hardouche's Niners. It takes a lot for me to root for Dallas. I hope Carroll Stomps them year in an year out and hopefully when our dynasty is complete, they will be the "same ole sorry ass Niners".

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I never rooted for the 49ers . The only team in California I ever root for is the chargers. Period. Hawks for life!

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":3b13c8o4 said:
253hawk":3b13c8o4 said:
I think it was actually the salary cap and Joe Walsh retiring that turned them into poop. Who's gonna scout and train up a qb to run the WCO when Steve Young can't do it any more?
Joe Walsh? He must have retired in order to spend the next year Rocky Mountain Way...Couldn't get much higher! :mrgreen:

300ZXNA

Reaction score
I think the entitlement comes because fans of that era probably felt like winning came easy. They won 5 SB in 13 years. So when they became good again, I think they thought it would be like old times. The fact that they are starting to resemble the early 2000's Eagles is an uneasy truth they are trying to mask behind prior glory...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
300ZXNA":1281edrp said:
I think the entitlement comes because fans of that era probably felt like winning came easy. They won 5 SB in 13 years. So when they became good again, I think they thought it would be like old times. The fact that they are starting to resemble the early 2000's Eagles is an uneasy truth they are trying to mask behind prior glory...
That's the thought that keeps banging around in my otherwise empty brain. They totally remind me of Philadelphia and Andy Reid. Good but just not good enough.

300ZXNA

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3u2zgy03 said:
300ZXNA":3u2zgy03 said:
That's the thought that keeps banging around in my otherwise empty brain. They totally remind me of Philadelphia and Andy Reid. Good but just not good enough.

I think next year will be a huge year for them, especially if we win the SB. While I don't think that they will collapse, guys like Justin Smith are getting older, and they will start to have cap issues when their young studs hit their second contract (which we too will be facing). Not only that, but StL is looking like they will be pretty scary with all of the draft capital they have this year.

So it's not that I think their window will be closing, more that the ridiculously good NFC West will be crowding said window....

Latest posts