Seahawks VERY ALIVE in the Wild Card Race

nutluck

Reaction score
Update based on the earlier games, it was a good day for the hawks, many of those in the hunt for the last wildcard lost

Currently the Rams at 7-1 have the 1st wildcard spot and Saints at 5-3 the second wild card spot(hold tie breaker over hawks)

The current standings for the last playoff spot.
Falcons - 1 game lead, and has better conference record for tie breakers
Panthers - 1 game lead and has a better conference record tie breaker
Vikings - tied games but has head to head tie breaker
Seahawks
9er's - tied and hawks have head to head tie breaker currently, but 9er's have better conference record if they split with the 9er's
Bears - tied games, but Seahawks has better conference record for tie breaker
Everyone below this has a worse record.

getnasty

Reaction score
Panther, Vikings, Saints, Eagles, Niners all lose. Good week in terms of gaining ground on a wildcard spot.

nutluck

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1ni21p44 said:
When can we start hyping the Seahawks as Superbowl contenders?

It would help if the Hawks could be a team with a winning record, so far the colts is the best team they have beat who has a record of 4-5 and currently the 6th team hoping for the final wild card spot in the afc.

Stud

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1kv0xe6e said:
Buffalo lost to the Jaguars; the same Buffalo team that has been hyped recently as a Superbowl contender.

Yeah those Jaguars, that the Seahawks easily disposed of the week before.

You guys beat the Jets 41-3 last year and still lost to the first team with a winning record you played in months in the Wild Card. Any given Sunday.

themunn

Reaction score
Stud":2s0e4w5z said:
Palmegranite":2s0e4w5z said:
Buffalo lost to the Jaguars; the same Buffalo team that has been hyped recently as a Superbowl contender.

Yeah those Jaguars, that the Seahawks easily disposed of the week before.

You guys beat the Jets 41-3 last year and still lost to the first team with a winning record you played in months in the Wild Card. Any given Sunday.

How could we have lost to "the first team with a winning record we played in months", when we beat said team literally 2 weeks prior?

Anyway, it was a good round of fixtures/results on Sunday. I'm still not convinced we're as bad as our record suggests, with 2 overtime losses and an improving defense being offset by a backup QB. The Titans and Steelers look like the real deal and we took both to the wire/should have won both games, and the opportunity was there in the others albeit we failed to take it.

Green Bay just struggled to put points up against the league's worst defenses - showing mortality without Rodgers, so we're not the only team struggling with a backup QB, and if we get the opportunity to play GB next week with Wilson and no Rodgers we should be expecting to win handily.

But we do have 4 games remaining against the best 3 teams in the NFC (assuming Rodgers is back). Either we have a tough slog ahead just to make the wild card game, but if we manage to get both defense and offense firing together to win 3+ of those games we could end up going into playoffs on a hot and confident streak.

It's an interesting ride coming up, will have a much better idea of where we sit in 2 weeks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yesterday proved what most of us should already, any give Sunday (or Mon/Thur)
Still gotta' lace em up. Made for a hell of a great day of Red Zone, and a LOT of surprises.

Finishing up with the already crowned Rams getting dominated at home by the Titans, w/out Derrick Henry.

Not claiming anything other than there is a ton of parity in the NFL this year. Will the Hawks make the playoffs? Possibly. But it still feels like a long shot. They need to at the minimum split these next 2 very tough games.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":j3wzu7el said:
Finishing up with the already crowned Rams getting dominated at home by the Titans, w/out Derrick Henry.

I wouldn't say that the Rams got dominated last night. The Rams had more first downs and a 150 yard edge in total yards. They shot themselves in the foot with 2nd quarter interceptions that led to 14 points.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I already said they did, that's how I see it. Outplayed all night. Stats often don't tell the story at all. People acted like adding Stafford made them THE team team to beat. He looked average last night. And I loved it.
But yes, I hate the Rams, so you're probably right. :mrgreen:

Mizak

Reaction score
Look out for the Atlanta Falcons. They are being sneaky and are now 4-4. I think they are one of the biggest threats to the Seahawks for the #7 wildcard spot.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":pifcrpf3 said:
I already said they did, that's how I see it. Outplayed all night. Stats often don't tell the story at all. People acted like adding Stafford made them THE team team to beat. He looked average last night. And I loved it.
But yes, I hate the Rams, so you're probably right. :mrgreen:

Agreed about Stafford. He looked very average, perhaps his worst game as a Ram. But Tannehill didn't exactly light the place on fire, either. Take out the two interceptions and I thought it was a push. It was a close contest that wasn't decided until late in the 4th quarter.

If there was one game yesterday where one team dominated the other, it was the Broncos beating the 'Boys. Next to Jacksonville beating the Bills, that was the biggest surprise of yesterday's games. As much as you dislike the Rams, I dislike the Cowboys.

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":e93y30qy said:
SoulfishHawk":e93y30qy said:

I wouldn't say that the Rams got dominated last night. The Rams had more first downs and a 150 yard edge in total yards. They shot themselves in the foot with 2nd quarter interceptions that led to 14 points.

I would say they got dominated as much as the Rams can be dominated.. Titians just gave a blue print...Lets see how The Rams adjust... Its going to be interesting to see How they use Miller...

But what was a bit scary was AZ beating the 9ers... Colt McCoy beat them pretty good...I was hoping SF was going to beat them.. didn't happen..

I still have Not given up hope for a division title but its dwindling...

I'm really hoping Russ doesn't come out flat and rusty

Big game against GB

We need this one...

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":2h2r01oo said:
RiverDog":2h2r01oo said:
SoulfishHawk":2h2r01oo said:

I would say they got dominated as much as the Rams can be dominated.. Titians just gave a blue print...Lets see how The Rams adjust... Its going to be interesting to see How they use Miller...

But what was a bit scary was AZ beating the 9ers... Colt McCoy beat them pretty good...I was hoping SF was going to beat them.. didn't happen..

Big game against GB

We need this one...

LTH

It was one of if not the worst games that the Rams have played all season, but I'm not convinced that it's anything more than an anomaly. I still regard them as the best balanced team in the NFC and expect them to challenge for the championship.

Agreed about the Cards. I had picked the Niners to beat them, too, but Jimmy G. flopped. Colt McCoy is turning into a Mr. Fix It, really took us to the cleaners last year vs. the Giants.

I'm of a wait and see attitude regarding our chances. Even though the logical side of my brain understands that we still have a decent chance, that it's a long season, that anything can happen, blah, blah blah, emotionally I've written off this season. If we can beat the Packers on the Frozen Tundra with Rodgers in their lineup, then I might start getting excited. But I hate the feeling of getting tricked into believing in fool's gold, so I've lowered my expectations.

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":3st24yzy said:
LTH":3st24yzy said:
RiverDog":3st24yzy said:
SoulfishHawk":3st24yzy said:

Big game against GB

We need this one...

LTH

It was one of if not the worst games that the Rams have played all season, but I'm not convinced that it's anything more than an anomaly. I still regard them as the best balanced team in the NFC and expect them to challenge for the championship.

Agreed about the Cards. I had picked the Niners to beat them, too, but Jimmy G. flopped. Colt McCoy is turning into a Mr. Fix It, really took us to the cleaners last year vs. the Giants.

I'm of a wait and see attitude regarding our chances. Even though the logical side of my brain understands that we still have a decent chance, that it's a long season, that anything can happen, blah, blah blah, emotionally I've written off this season. If we can beat the Packers on the Frozen Tundra with Rodgers in their lineup, then I might start getting excited. But I hate the feeling of getting tricked into believing in fool's gold, so I've lowered my expectations.

I get that the emotional loses are hard...It's going to be a hard fought game and I would rather Russ sit this one out and I'm hoping for a great defensive performance...I really believe this D can be special... we will see this is a great test...

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":by34z1dv said:
:pukeface: I get that the emotional loses are hard...It's going to be a hard fought game and I would rather Russ sit this one out and I'm hoping for a great defensive performance...I really believe this D can be special... we will see this is a great test...

LTH

I've never felt so down in my life from a sporting event as when we lost in SB 49.

Normally I would agree with Russell sitting out, but it would seem to me that the type of injury he sustained isn't very subject to re-injury. It was a fluke accident, one that I've never seen before in all my 50+ years of watching football. It's certainly not as risky as if it were some sort of muscle pull or joint injury. If he wants to play and the doctors give him the thumbs up, I'm good with it.

You have a lot more faith in our defense than I do, but that's neither here nor there. The Hawks have let me down so far this season and they are going to have to work to earn back my trust.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":3tljuk2v said:
You have a lot more faith in our defense than I do, but that's neither here nor there. The Hawks have let me down so far this season and they are going to have to work to earn back my trust.

While I do think our D is playing better, mainly because Flowers is gone and Brown and Jones have played much better at corner, and some of our zone miscommunication issues of players being in the wrong spots seems to be cleaned up a little.............I also think we've played inferior opponents and if Rodgers play he's going to pick apart our D on Sunday.

This is not a good D. It shouldn't be as bad as it was in games 2-4, but it's still not going to carry the Hawks without Russell coming back and playing out of his mind.