Seahawks need to retire Marshawn's number

Chapow

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":35xmaahs said:
I don't get all the hate for Alexander by some Seahawks fans. He is one of my all time favorite Seahawks. Easily top 10. He was a very good RB and one of the best in the NFL during his playing days. I think part of the problem with him is that he made it look too easy at times.

I agree 100%.

It also seems like a lot of fans hyper focus on 2006-2007 (you know, after his body started breaking down) and basically dismiss the 5 straight seasons where he averaged well over 300 touches, 1500 yards, and 15 TDs per season, again, for 5 straight seasons.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
After we retired 80 and then un-retired it I was through with the whole thing. Just have a ring of honor, and enjoy great memories. Keeping the number off the field does nothing for me.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":hvulnc5q said:
He did have very good vision out there. I just didn't like how he seemed to play harder in the Red Zone vs. between the 20's after he got that big contract. Oh well, he was a damn good Seahawk and carried himself with class.
I respectfully disagree that he's better than Marshawn flippen Lynch though.
Guess it depends on the type of back you like. I prefer a tough player who dishes out punishment, can block and has ridiculous moves and toughness. Lynch was all of that. Very few players in the history of the league have played harder than that guy.

It wasn't just after he got the contract. His entire career he had a different gear for when he thought the endzone was a realistic possibility. And he did have very good vision, unfortunately he was using just as often to make sure he was down before the possibility of a real hit.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":ngsf5460 said:
After we retired 80 and then un-retired it I was through with the whole thing. Just have a ring of honor, and enjoy great memories. Keeping the number off the field does nothing for me.
I can get on board with this. The Yankees may eventually have to unretire numbers cuz they have so many guys can't wear anymore. Numbers 1-10 are retried plus there's another 11 beyond that. Seems kind of foolish when it gets to that point no matter how many titles they've won and great players they've had.

(btw, most definitely NOT a Yanks fan)

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":36h0e492 said:

Pretty much this. Have the Hawks retired any number other than 80?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":wl12r9gb said:
oldhawkfan":wl12r9gb said:
I don't get all the hate for Alexander by some Seahawks fans. He is one of my all time favorite Seahawks. Easily top 10. He was a very good RB and one of the best in the NFL during his playing days. I think part of the problem with him is that he made it look too easy at times.

I agree 100%.

It also seems like a lot of fans hyper focus on 2006-2007 (you know, after his body started breaking down) and basically dismiss the 5 straight seasons where he averaged well over 300 touches, 1500 yards, and 15 TDs per season, again, for 5 straight seasons.

Yes, he had a historic line for one season and he appeared to run soft at times, but his vision with the football in his hands was second to none. You don't score 112 TDs in the NFL in such a short period of time by being lucky. You have to be a great football player.

I don't think he gets his number retired unless he makes the HOF, which I don't think he will. I'm not sure Rat is saying he should have his number retired, I just think he's saying if you're going to retire Marshawn's, you have to retire Shaun's first. Considering he is the franchise leader in pretty much every rushing category, why is that so hard for people to swallow?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2pf8hh1f said:
Chapow":2pf8hh1f said:
oldhawkfan":2pf8hh1f said:

I agree 100%.

Yes, he had a historic line for one season and he appeared to run soft at times, but his vision with the football in his hands was second to none. You don't score 112 TDs in the NFL in such a short period of time by being lucky. You have to be a great football player.

I don't think he gets his number retired unless he makes the HOF, which I don't think he will. I'm not sure Rat is saying he should have his number retired, I just think he's saying if you're going to retire Marshawn's, you have to retire Shaun's first. Considering he is the franchise leader in pretty much every rushing category, why is that so hard for people to swallow?

Because we actually watched both of them play.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25r7c7fj said:
Rat":25r7c7fj said:
Did somebody really just "laugh" at me for saying that our only league MVP, who happened to rush for 100 TDs in his career, should have his number retired, and then say that Russ isn't a given?

Shaun has 3-4 good years, and one great year.

That's not even close to number retired worthy. Number retire worthy players are Hall of Fame players that played their entire careers here AND were dominating at their positions for their entire careers.

Alexander? Tenor

If we retire Shaun, we won't have any numbers left to hand out players because that means we gotta retire about 20 other player's jerseys.

20? Really? He's the leader in every major franchise category at his position by a large margin. Not many other guys fit that category. I can think of two. Steve Largent, his number is already retired. And Russell will be at that level when he's done and his number will be retired as a result. Again, I don't think Shaun will or should get his number retired unless he gets in the hall, I just think it's ridiculous to say you have to retire 20 other numbers if you do.

warden

Reaction score
Other then number twelve all other retired numbers are because of the players who played the mass majority of their careers with the hawks are in the Hall of Fame. If Lynch makes the hall, then we talk about retiring his number

12HawkFan

Reaction score
NO!

If, and only if, he is someday put into the NFL Hall of Fame, we can talk about it then.

Ring of Honor, no problem.

12HF

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3s49613w said:
We are not talking about Curt Warner though. This is about Alexander and Lynch (at least the latest responses in the thread)
Curt Warner was phenomenal. Were it not for the career ending injury, he could have been an all time great imo.

According to the thread title it’s about 24. I just think 28 was better. 28, 24, and 37 are three totally different types of RBs. 28 and 37 had earlier individual success than 24. 24 is the only one with a ring. 37 played for one. 28 was probably the most overall talented of all of them.
Retire 24? No. Ring of honor for all three? Yes.

Hass2Carlson

Reaction score
He will be in the HOF, he epitomized the attitude of the greatest team in this franchise’s history. He wound up getting the magic 10k yards. It will happen

kobebryant

Reaction score
I love Lynch, maybe my all time favorite Seahawk. But he doesn't meet the standard for having his jersey retired. That standard is too high - Walt, Largent, Tez and Easley are amongst the best ever at their position.

Russ and Wagner will be worthy of having their jersey retired. Marshawn is a ring of honor guy.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Chapow":1yigpwv1 said:
Sgt. Largent":1yigpwv1 said:
Rat":1yigpwv1 said:
Did somebody really just "laugh" at me for saying that our only league MVP, who happened to rush for 100 TDs in his career, should have his number retired, and then say that Russ isn't a given?

Shaun has 3-4 good years, and one great year.

That's not even close to number retired worthy. Number retire worthy players are Hall of Fame players that played their entire careers here AND were dominating at their positions for their entire careers.

Alexander? Tenor

If we retire Shaun, we won't have any numbers left to hand out players because that means we gotta retire about 20 other player's jerseys.

By this standard, Lynch had 0 great seasons here and only 3-4 good ones, with only 1 season being as good (or arguably better) than any of Alexanders 5 best seasons.

So if Alexander is not number retirement worthy, Lynch isn't even close. Going by this standard, of course.

FWIW Shaun was way more productive than Marshawn but it was also a different NFL to be fair.

Shaun played in the true era of a FB getting 60% of the snaps and just a lot more run heavy. The west coast passed to setup the run.

Lynch was a true workhorse right as the league was transitioning to two-headed running attacks

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I loved Curt Warner. Amazing jump cut before the knee injury.
I loved Chris Warren. Best dead leg ever.
I loved Shaun Alexander. Great vision and a smooth runner. Nose for the end zone like no other.
I loved Marshawn Lynch. Toughest, strongest dude I've ever seen run a football.
I love Chris Carson. Great combo of power, lateral movement and vision with a bit of Lynch toughness.

We've been very spoiled as Seahawks fan at the RB position. If we started retiring everyone's number we'll never have enough for the player's currently playing.

And if I had to pick one guy to be my franchise RB, it would be Marshawn Lynch. That toughest SOB on the field creates the right culture you want on your team. I don't want softness at that position. Give me guys like Lynch, Carson, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Why? Basically he was here for 4 very good years, and then had injuries. That isn't long enough to retire his number.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya oldhawk, I think w/out that injury, Warner could have been an all time great. He was that good.

Boycie

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":18jq1jj2 said:
And disrespectful? Nah. The league has quite a few players who are wearing numbers of former greats. And you don't retire a number right away imo. Lynch played last season.
And often, a guy wears a number out of respect. Just sayin

You start retiring numbers like Lynch's, then pretty soon you'll have three digits on the jerseys.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Wow, there's actually some hate for Shaun Alexander on this board?

Absolutely crazy.