Seahawks need to retire Marshawn's number

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Rat":1btzs6or said:
Did somebody really just "laugh" at me for saying that our only league MVP, who happened to rush for 100 TDs in his career, should have his number retired, and then say that Russ isn't a given?

You mean the MVP that should have been split 5 ways and not included him? Yeah, we are talking about the same guy.

Maulbert

Reaction score
irfuben32":3ik3xlrn said:
Jamar Taylor is wearing number 24. That is disrespectful.

No one should wear 24 for the Seahawks but Lynch.

Marshawn Lynch was the heart and soul of the greatest Hawks team ever to take the field.

The only retired numbers belong to HoFers who spent their entire careers in Seattle (outside of 12). Lynch doesn't qualify on either count.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yes, I misspelled his name. No offense, but no way in hell ShaUn Alexander was a better back than Lynch.

And Alexander was a very good back, no doubt about it. Lynch was next level. Can you imagine Lynch behind the line that ShaUn had?? Holy hell, he would have been so bored running thru those holes he would have been looking for contact.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Maulbert":1lupil8z said:
irfuben32":1lupil8z said:
Jamar Taylor is wearing number 24. That is disrespectful.

No one should wear 24 for the Seahawks but Lynch.

Marshawn Lynch was the heart and soul of the greatest Hawks team ever to take the field.

The only retired numbers belong to HoFers who spent their entire careers in Seattle (outside of 12). Lynch doesn't qualify on either count.
Agree 100%
Oh, and I don't see Alexander as worthy. Hall of very good imo. Boy did he have vision though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He did have very good vision out there. I just didn't like how he seemed to play harder in the Red Zone vs. between the 20's after he got that big contract. Oh well, he was a damn good Seahawk and carried himself with class.
I respectfully disagree that he's better than Marshawn flippen Lynch though.
Guess it depends on the type of back you like. I prefer a tough player who dishes out punishment, can block and has ridiculous moves and toughness. Lynch was all of that. Very few players in the history of the league have played harder than that guy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We are not talking about Curt Warner though. This is about Alexander and Lynch (at least the latest responses in the thread)
Curt Warner was phenomenal. Were it not for the career ending injury, he could have been an all time great imo.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":3vlhtx1w said:
Did somebody really just "laugh" at me for saying that our only league MVP, who happened to rush for 100 TDs in his career, should have his number retired, and then say that Russ isn't a given?

Shaun has 3-4 good years, and one great year.

That's not even close to number retired worthy. Number retire worthy players are Hall of Fame players that played their entire careers here AND were dominating at their positions for their entire careers.

Alexander? Tenor

If we retire Shaun, we won't have any numbers left to hand out players because that means we gotta retire about 20 other player's jerseys.

Rat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24cvygzg said:
Rat":24cvygzg said:

That's not even close to number retired worthy. Number retire worthy players are Hall of Fame players that played their entire careers here AND were dominating at their positions for their entire careers.

Alexander? Tenor

If we retire Shaun, we won't have any numbers left to hand out players because that means we gotta retire about 20 other player's jerseys.

Yeah, 1700 yards rushing with 16 TDs is merely a "good" year. :roll:

Also he played 119 of his 123 career games here. That's basically splitting hairs. It's like saying that the SF Giants shouldn't have retired Willie Mays' number because of those two 40+ age throwaway years he spent with the Mets after 20 years with them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":7zqm3tmx said:
Sgt. Largent":7zqm3tmx said:
Rat":7zqm3tmx said:

Alexander? Tenor

Also he played 119 of his 123 career games here. That's basically splitting hairs. It's like saying that the SF Giants shouldn't have retired Willie Mays' number because of those two 40+ age throwaway years he spent with the Mets after 20 years with them.

That's why I said 3-4 good years and ONE great year.

Reading comprehension, what it do.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Rat":2rvgrxam said:
Sgt. Largent":2rvgrxam said:
Lynch? Eh, not there for me. Wilson for sure, probably Wagner by the time he's done, but not Lynch for me. Love me some Beastmode, but only five full years here isn't number retire worthy. If that's the case, we'd also have to retire Kam, Sherm, Cliff, Mikey B and Earl. Too many other in that SB era worthy list to just retire Lynch.

Agreed. Would have to retire 89 too.

Baldwin I could get behind. Played his whole career in Seattle. Certainly Ring of Honor at the least.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I don't get all the hate for Alexander by some Seahawks fans. He is one of my all time favorite Seahawks. Easily top 10. He was a very good RB and one of the best in the NFL during his playing days. I think part of the problem with him is that he made it look too easy at times.

Rat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13vohsqb said:
Rat":13vohsqb said:
Sgt. Largent":13vohsqb said:
Rat":13vohsqb said:

Alexander? Tenor

That's why I said 3-4 good years and ONE great year.

Reading comprehension, what it do.

So... that was his "great" year, and his 1900 yard 27 TD MVP year was one of the "good" years?

I can read just fine. That it do.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1itlhtp8 said:
Retiring jerseys is stupid.
My stance on this as well with the 90 man roster in the NFL. We had two guys sharing a jersey number for one of the preseason games this year and that's dumb.

Next ring of honor member should be Joe Nash. After that I'd wait for Wilson and Wagner to retire.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1zqlwxf5 said:
Rat":1zqlwxf5 said:

Alexander? Tenor

By this standard, Lynch had 0 great seasons here and only 3-4 good ones, with only 1 season being as good (or arguably better) than any of Alexanders 5 best seasons.

So if Alexander is not number retirement worthy, Lynch isn't even close. Going by this standard, of course.

chris98251

Reaction score
Or Kam as far as Ring of Honor, not the Jersey., although we can just look at Davis and see the Jersey number permanently affixed to his body like a Tattoo.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":7owd042x said:
Sgt. Largent":7owd042x said:
Rat":7owd042x said:

Alexander? Tenor

By this standard, Lynch had 0 great seasons here and only 3-4 good ones, with only 1 season being as good (or arguably better) than any of Alexanders 5 best seasons.

So if Alexander is not number retirement worthy, Lynch isn't even close. Going by this standard, of course.

I said Lynch isn't worthy. Only the OP thinks he is, and apparently right now.