Seahawks...Most hated NFL team outside Seattle

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hawaii is a melting pot for people from around the country. I've been here over 30 years, I've never before seen this level of respect given to our Hawks.

People tend to wear their team colors when on vacation and I wear something Hawks related everyday. Not a day goes by that another team's fan isn't gushing to me about our Hawks. Today a Raider fan spoke of how much he loved the Hawks D, Earl in particular.. but hated Sherm. 20 minutes later and now he likes Sherm, too. Most 9er fans now try to avoid any conversation regarding football in my presence. It's all very empowering. ; )

chiltech500

Reaction score
I live in PA and no one has strong feelings against and mostly respect for the Hawks.

That graph is about in-market vs out of market... maybe our in-market is so big that makes for the charts, same for Kansas City?

But maybe our recent win-loss record (same with KC) may make for folks opinions?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yes ^^^

This graph states it's the difference between in and out of market sentiment, meaning our bar is lengthened possibly because we love our team so much more than other fans love theirs. So it doesn't necessarily mean that we're the most hated team......

themunn

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2dmrktge said:
Yeah, hate is a good thing. If anyone ever questions that, ask yourself how many people hate the Jacksonville Jaguars. Except from some division rivals, you'll get literally no national hate unless you're relevant.

I hate every team that's not the Seahawks.
Every team.

AVL

Reaction score
So polls and analysis are now going to be run through twitter surveys?

My observations of conversations about the NFL at poker tables (none in the northwest) indicates the opposite.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
They probably should have looked at some more variables like jersey sales before coming up with their conclusions. It's good to be hated, though.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
I live in Arlington, TX not far from Jerry Jones' Monument To Himself (aka Cowboys Stadium) and the Seahawks, at least from my anecdotal experience, seem to get a fair amount of respect around here. I tend to get positive comments from Cowboys fans when I'm wearing Seahawks gear and have had several co-workers say they wish the Cowboys could build a team like Seattle has. I think they like they like the physical, in-your-face attitude of the Hawks. That's a big change from when I first moved here about five years ago when people either gave me a sympathetic look when they found out I was a Seahawks fan or couldn't have cared less about them.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The one thing both these teams have in common is they both had broke the Guniness world record for loudest roar in an open stadium.

Seahawks broke it, then Chiefs, and then the Seahawks took it back.

Ofcourse, there was a lot talk about how both fanbases were among if not the loudest fanbases but the most passionate in creating the HFA thus be crowned with the "best" label.

A lot of other team's fans took that as a slight, questioning their own pride with ensuing envy towards us especially the San Francisco 49er fans.

Also, Cowboys = hated by every fanbase (whether or not if the Cowboys are good or bad) = awesome

Don't know about the Dolphins maybe Icognito-Martin bully fiasco?

And the hatred towards the Colts is more resent, as in they were "lucky" to go from Manning to Luck and remain fairly competitive. And ofcourse Colt fans love to rub Luck down "our" collective faces just as much as the pundits.

A

Anonymous

Reminds me of a song...

"...No one knows what it's like, to be hated, to be fated, to telling only lies..."

[youtube]e9-3RZkzpwM[/youtube]

Jac

Reaction score
I'm deep in Redskins territory, and I actually hear nothing but positivity when I'm my Seahawks gear. Quite the opposite from their main website. The internet and reality are two very different animals.

plyka

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1w6msbar said:
Apparently, we have arrived.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2014/01/03/outside-of-seattle-people-love-to-hate-the-seahawks/

Here in Seattle, people love the Seahawks. Everywhere you look there are 12th Man flags, Hawks T-shirts and blue-and-green decorations. The team’s playoff tickets sold out in less than 30 minutes. Fans love Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch and the whole Seahawks squad.

Outside of Seattle, it’s a different story. In fact, the Seahawks have become one of those NFL teams people love to hate.

twittersentiment-600x494.jpg

This is such a bogus "analysis." It's a ratio between their measure of how "loved" the Hawks are in Seattle versus how much they are Hated outside of seattle. The bigger the difference the higher they are on that chart. So if i make up numbers out of thin air, if they are neutral in Seattle (score 0) and hated 10 outside, then they get a 10 score. But if they are loved highly in Seattle (score of 15) but neutral outside (score 0) they get a 15 score --so even though in the first instance they are hated and in the 2nd instance they are neutral --outside of seattle --the 2nd one scores higher in this analysis.

That aside, I love the fact that the Hawks are hated. It's because of Pete Caroll and our players. They are confident and good enough to back it up. Much like Lebron James a few years ago --the most hated man in the world, lol. Win a few championships, then you'll be loved again, at least on the outside. On the inside they would still hate you.

Oh, the other way you can become loved again is to be bad ---pity goes a long way, lol

taz291819

Reaction score
Have to agree with others, down here in AL, I hear nothing but props for the Seahawks. Though mind you, they all love Shawn Alexander and Walter Jones.

And yes, while Big Walt didn't play for Alabama or Auburn, since he's from Alabama (and currently lives in Huntsville), most everyone knows who he is.

A little surprising, but years ago, I also heard a lot of respect for Hasselbeck down here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
AVL":1fx7ey71 said:
So polls and analysis are now going to be run through twitter surveys?

My observations of conversations about the NFL at poker tables (none in the northwest) indicates the opposite.
Exactly, it's twitter people, which in my world is as irrelevant as Facebook. ....and if we are "the bad guys", bring it on!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else caught this, I haven't read the whole thread but it is not the most hated team they are debating. It is the difference between how much love that team gets in its home area vs outside that area. It makes sense when you consider we don't have multiple football teams in our area to divide the love between or even a college team that is stealing love from us. Even our baseball team only serves to make the Seahawks look more attractive.

To me this says we likely have the most loved team by its local fans so when you go outside the area its not like you need a ton of hate to make an enormous difference.

HawkWow

Reaction score
To further my example above: This morning, running beach with Mrs. Wow, we slow to a walk as a middle aged couple approaches us. I'm wearing my Hawk visor. Neither members of couple are wearing team gear. Female politely says "good morning" and we say the same and keep walking. Gentleman turns and shouts "Go Hawks"!! back at us, we reply with the same.

Nearing the end of the run, another couple walks towards us as we cool down. I instantly identify the hideous gold and maroon of his hat and as he gets closer, that 9er logo. He is looking towards us like he wants to say something....looks at my visor, then almost breaks his neck swinging his head back towards the water. I then realize I am wearing red board shorts that probably made him think we were compads. Wrong. I turn to Mrs Wow and ask...why the hell do I have red board shorts?? Considering throwing them away now. That was just too close for comfort.

Latest posts