Seahawks coaches will not attend the combine

bigcc

Reaction score

Thoughts?

I'm really not particularly a fan, I would hope our coaches would be there for the interviews at bare minimum.

It's an interesting choice for better or worse

EDIT: can someone help me edit the link to be embedded? I don't know what tags to put before/after

EDIT x2: thanks mod!

Last edited:

Jville

Reaction score
That's what follows with wholesale changes to nearly the entire coaching staff. I'm anticipating that a few things will defy being nailed down by April 8th.

It's a process.

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
That's what follows with wholesale changes to nearly the entire coaching staff. I'm anticipating that a few things will defy being nailed down by April 8th.

It's a process.
It's not just an entirely new staff.....

The majority (literally) of the coaches either haven't coached in the NFL, or got promoted to a position they haven't coached before....

Have we even filled out the staff yet?

Jville

Reaction score
It's not just an entirely new staff.....

The majority (literally) of the coaches either haven't coached in the NFL, or got promoted to a position they haven't coached before....

Have we even filled out the staff yet?

Sure looks like it. 1 Head Coach, 3 Coordinators and 20 Position Coaches all signed and hard at work >>>> https://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches-roster/

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
I'd rather have coaches working on schemes and systems so they're ready to start coaching in 45 days, it's the moment many Seahawks fans have been hoping for; a new Head Coach and his staff.
I have enough faith in John Schneider and his scouts that they'll make the right calls.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I think it's the right move. New coaches should be focused on the 50+ guys who are already Seahawks, not the half dozen potential ones.

Schneider and the scouts will be there and from what I understand there are some other NFL teams that do this regularly anyhow. (I think the Rams were one?)

Macdonald and co. will surely still have input into any actual draft decisions.

sutz

Reaction score
Hmmm :unsure: That doesn't say "all" coaches will skip the combine, just the "new" coaches. I have to believe that Mac will be there, and maybe at least one of the coordinators. I guess the Coordinators have to be there to "install systems" and such, though a lot could be done on zoom. In any event, I should think the head coach would be there.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
At first blush I was like wth, but after a second thought everything is so well videoed and documented anyway. Let the scouts do their thing and there are always the pro days and they can do some interviews later if desired. Besides how do you make informed decisions about where you need guys or improvements without first knowing in detail exactly what you already have to work with and may need to improve?

Chawker

Reaction score
Scouts will take good notes and the rest are facts, size , speed and measurables. This is not a problem with me, the "new coaches" have better things to due.

Cheers

OP
OP
B

bigcc

Reaction score
Combine is mostly about physical measurements. I think it’s fine.
It's also a rare opportunity to meet the player in person and see if the vibe is there.

I'm not sure if they're even allowed to have direct contact outside of pro days and the combine.....

I also assume from the way Schneider phrased it, that they won't be at pro days either.

Doesn't really make sense to go to individual school workouts (besides uw since no travel), and not the combine where your time can be much more focused

xray

Reaction score
Can't they watch it on TV ?

LastRideOut

Reaction score
This may be the norm for Seattle going forward. The Rams coaching staff led by McVay doesn't attend the combine either. McVay specifically says the tape tells the better story and nothing can be gleaned from the combine.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
So they can send the waterboy since his position is unchanged??? LOL

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This may be the norm for Seattle going forward. The Rams coaching staff led by McVay doesn't attend the combine either. McVay specifically says the tape tells the better story and nothing can be gleaned from the combine.

Honestly, it’s much easier to fall in love with athletic metrics, especially weighed and ranked against each other. Combine and the interviews were great for Carroll since he was more of a players coach with a psychology background with a little bit of trying to play his hand at misdirection and lead other people off our trail.

But yeah the tape is much more important.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hmmm :unsure: That doesn't say "all" coaches will skip the combine, just the "new" coaches. I have to believe that Mac will be there, and maybe at least one of the coordinators. I guess the Coordinators have to be there to "install systems" and such, though a lot could be done on zoom. In any event, I should think the head coach would be there.
Mike is one of the new coaches.

GemCity

Reaction score
At first, I was like “wtf”. But, is it really a necessity to physically be there?

In today’s age of streaming content, tons of footage from games, etc…I think it makes more sense to not attend while in a situation like ours.

MM said that after he was at his initial meet & greet (announcement), he went right upstairs and went to work. He’s hitting the ground running…and time is of the essence.

I have total and complete trust in the FO. I truly feel that they’re going to get the most out of our guys. I suspect it will take time. MM and JS are going to build this thing out.

Coaches don’t arbitrarily skip events like these unless they have more important issues at hand.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
All you really miss on is interviews, and I'd much rather have them installing the basics as an incoming staff than putting it all on pause to interview a few dudes they may draft.

Still got the scouts out there and still got private visits.

Seahawker

Reaction score
They don't need to be there, this is John's deal.
The assistants need to start ramping up to put their best foot forward from the get-go, film study ect.
John needs some breathing room to optimize this offseason. If things go well It will be not only because of player personnel but improved coaching.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
It's also a rare opportunity to meet the player in person and see if the vibe is there.

I'm not sure if they're even allowed to have direct contact outside of pro days and the combine.....

I also assume from the way Schneider phrased it, that they won't be at pro days either.

Doesn't really make sense to go to individual school workouts (besides uw since no travel), and not the combine where your time can be much more focused
For sure but I think as fans we think coaches are great talent evaluators. And that’s not necessarily true.

Look no further than Belichick in New England.