Penix

Rat

Reaction score
It's so hard to tell QB stock. Unlike other positions where teams are willing to stockpile talent, you're not going to take a high-end QB prospect if you're already invested in someone in the position. It's how someone like Aaron Rodgers can be projected to go 2nd, but fall to 25th. Like I'm not convinced that teams viewed Levis as a second-round talent just because he fell to there. I'll bet there were multiple teams that almost took him considerably earlier.

No bias for or against UW, but for me, Penix looks like a top 10 with a huge injury red flag. That's concerning, but we wouldn't have a legitimate chance at getting him without it, so he'd be at least in the conversation for me at #16. I don't hesitate if we can acquire a second-rounder and he's still there. It's kinda like DK Metcalf a few years back; yeah, I get why teams considered him too risky to grab earlier, even with the undeniable talent, but there becomes a point where the reward outweighs the risk so much that it almost seems negligent to not draft him.

At the very least I think it's absolute lunacy that Bo Nix is often projected ahead of him.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, it's a crap shoot for sure. Esp. in the 1st round. I don't get the BO AND 3 over Penix stuff either. Not just because I'm a huge UW fan.
I totally understand the injury concerns. Then again, he didn't miss a game the last 2 seasons. And he passed all his medicals with flying colors. He also ran and jumped at his pro day. I 100 percent understand the injury concerns, I just think they are way blown out of proportion.
The other one that cracks me up is how many in the media act like he's an old man. He's 23 years old. Same age or younger than some of the guys going pro.
One media guy literally said Penix was 26. No joke.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
It's so hard to tell QB stock. Unlike other positions where teams are willing to stockpile talent, you're not going to take a high-end QB prospect if you're already invested in someone in the position. It's how someone like Aaron Rodgers can be projected to go 2nd, but fall to 25th. Like I'm not convinced that teams viewed Levis as a second-round talent just because he fell to there. I'll bet there were multiple teams that almost took him considerably earlier.

No bias for or against UW, but for me, Penix looks like a top 10 with a huge injury red flag. That's concerning, but we wouldn't have a legitimate chance at getting him without it, so he'd be at least in the conversation for me at #16. I don't hesitate if we can acquire a second-rounder and he's still there. It's kinda like DK Metcalf a few years back; yeah, I get why teams considered him too risky to grab earlier, even with the undeniable talent, but there becomes a point where the reward outweighs the risk so much that it almost seems negligent to not draft him.

At the very least I think it's absolute lunacy that Bo Nix is often projected ahead of him.

I bet Seattle could cover their bases on the injury history part by, I dunno, getting another 23 year old QB they like into the QB room. Someone like Sam Howell maybe?

Rat

Reaction score
I bet Seattle could cover their bases on the injury history part by, I dunno, getting another 23 year old QB they like into the QB room. Someone like Sam Howell maybe?
I like Howell a lot and was very high on him going into his draft. I believe that acquisition puts us in a position where we don't NEED to make a move on a QB, but if the opportunity arises to get a talent like Penix at a reasonable spot, I think it's a tremendous gamble. At QB, I'm willing to take on the risk of maybe having two good players.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Did you watch him play? Honest question. This guy threw passes in to tight windows unlike any QB in country. If you honestly think he's just throwing up 50/50 balls all the time, you didn't watch him. His back shoulder throws and/or dropping one in the bucket is as good as it gets. Dude is flat out nails.

Yeah I watched him - and I am well aware the guy can throw dimes and did - often. He has exceptional talent. He also had a five-star O-line and Odunze - and WHEN HE GOT PRESSURED his go to was to chuck it up in Odunze's direction. I have doubts that this translates to the NFL particularly well as he isn't going to have a 5-star O-line or a receiver that can dominate NFL corners like Odunze did college kids.

Just one man's opinion gentlemen.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
No doubt, it's a crap shoot for sure. Esp. in the 1st round. I don't get the BO AND 3 over Penix stuff either. Not just because I'm a huge UW fan.
I totally understand the injury concerns. Then again, he didn't miss a game the last 2 seasons. And he passed all his medicals with flying colors. He also ran and jumped at his pro day. I 100 percent understand the injury concerns, I just think they are way blown out of proportion.
The other one that cracks me up is how many in the media act like he's an old man. He's 23 years old. Same age or younger than some of the guys going pro.
One media guy literally said Penix was 26. No joke.
I'm not a big fan of Bo either.

Outside of Herbert the failure rate for duck QB's is high and I think he is another that will flame. Apologies to Norm Van Brocklin and Dan Fouts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
BO AND 3 is a good QB, just not sure how clutch he is. A couple of my friends who are huge Ducks fans (puke) think his ceiling is pretty low. That's saying something coming from a Quack fan.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah I watched him - and I am well aware the guy can throw dimes and did - often. He has exceptional talent. He also had a five-star O-line and Odunze - and WHEN HE GOT PRESSURED his go to was to chuck it up in Odunze's direction. I have doubts that this translates to the NFL particularly well as he isn't going to have a 5-star O-line or a receiver that can dominate NFL corners like Odunze did college kids.

Fair enough. Couldn't disagree more, but I hear ya. We all see it how we see it.

It's all a crap shoot anyway.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
BO AND 3 is a good QB, just not sure how clutch he is. A couple of my friends who are huge Ducks fans (puke) think his ceiling is pretty low. That's saying something coming from a Quack fan.
So many of his yards were from YAC - the percentage of passes he threw that were within a few yards of the LOS was really high.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. Couldn't disagree more, but I hear ya. We all see it how we see it.

It's all a crap shoot anyway.
It really, really is - I could well be way off - and would be the first to admit I was wrong. I am very interested in how this group of QB's will fare at the next level.

toffee

Reaction score
Penix vs Howell? Very unlikely that we will have this QB competition, by trading for Howell, we basically telling other teams that we aren't drafting a QB.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I think B0-3 is going to Denver.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If throwing it up to Odunze was the best option, then that sounds like he has good decision making abilities. If the best option at the pro level is to throw it away, I'm sure Penix will adjust.

chris98251

Reaction score

May not have the best line in college, but the receivers across the board are all better as a group then he had in college plus he will have two very good RB safety valves and TE's, he gets rid of the ball quickly as it is, taking whats given will be his learning curve to open up his deep shot chances.

chris98251

Reaction score
Penix vs Howell? Very unlikely that we will have this QB competition, by trading for Howell, we basically telling other teams that we aren't drafting a QB.
Disagree, we traded for Flynn and drafted Wilson had Tjack ready to resign, we won't let current roster dictate whether we take a player we like, especially at a Tilt the field position if they are there. You can always trade away a guy and we did not invest a lot in either of our guys really compared to other teams in the league.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
totally disagree. Irrelevant.