Schneider- Recoup Kam's signing bonus because of holdout?

SeaChase

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2k0kxozt said:
SeaChase":2k0kxozt said:
Getting about tired of all these players not happy with the current millions they are making. You're like on year two of your of your 4 year contract that you signed. Maybe you should have thought about this a year ago ...
I just roll my eyes at the people who think players should honor their contracts when the team never has to be held to the same standard. The team can terminate their contract with the player at any time.

Obviously, the player can terminate his contract with the team at any time as well.

It's a fairly new contract and there's guarantees and incentives. You expect the team too just rip up the contract and pay him millions more? Has he really outplayed his 4 year contract after only a year?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yea, the Seahawks honestly aren't in a position to do anything about his contract. Even if they had the cap space, they can't.

What drives me crazy is that I know these players have a limited window to maximize the money they get, but they honestly don't seem to understand the actual salary cap. The Seahawks have signed contracts like Bennett, Wilson, Wagner, and traded for Graham....knowing what Kam was slated to make and building around that. It's not like they had Kam sign a contract, then help money back just in case Kam decided to hold out.

On top of that is setting the precedent. Lynch was just forwarded money from the next year. It wasn't an addition and it was all accounted for in his contract. If Kam holds out and is successful, you're going to see Bennett sit immediately. Probably add at least a couple of more guys to that list.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I like the way Schneider is handling this. He's saying they won't redo the deal but at the same time, all the praise he's throwing Kam's way is avoiding things getting better. What's everyone's gut feeling? Could this really extend to the point where the team takes the field Week 1 in St. Louis with no Kam?

seahawk 17

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3n95cwkc said:
SeaChase":3n95cwkc said:
Getting about tired of all these players not happy with the current millions they are making. You're like on year two of your of your 4 year contract that you signed. Maybe you should have thought about this a year ago ...
I just roll my eyes at the people who think players should honor their contracts when the team never has to be held to the same standard. The team can terminate their contract with the player at any time.

Obviously, the player can terminate his contract with the team at any time as well.

I understand where you are coming from, however on the flip side if a player has under performed for some reason, they can't re-negotiate for a lower salary.

Rocket

Reaction score
andyh64000":2jg2yv3p said:
They probably need to throw him a bone though...maybe guarantee next year's salary or convert a couple million of it into a bonus for this season.

They just locked up all the bones from what JS said.

EDIT: but thy didn't close the door completely before the bolt went home. As was said above, I believe Kam would do metter negotiating from camp.

andyh64000

Reaction score
Rocket":2gs69sac said:
andyh64000":2gs69sac said:
They probably need to throw him a bone though...maybe guarantee next year's salary or convert a couple million of it into a bonus for this season.

They just locked up all the bones from what JS said.

EDIT: but thy didn't close the door completely before the bolt went home. As was said above, I believe Kam would do metter negotiating from camp.

They could guarantee his salary for next year and that might do it...or they could take some money from the final year and bonus it and the cap hit would be minimal.

I kind of see it from Kam's perspective...this is the final year of guaranteed money so he is looking at it as a 1 year contract (because that is what he has) rather than 3 more years since those are all team options. If he gets hurt this year he gets cut and ends up with nothing more.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
andyh64000":atcqx2oy said:

Why? Did he not get a very reasonable contract before he was even considered elite? I remember some people on here saying we paid too much even

RW92

Reaction score
I know I'm new here, and I know that it is far fetched, but is there anyway that Russell could restructure his contract and transfer some of his money now, to be given back to him in later years with interest, so they could help Kam and Michael Bennett? Because if they give Kam any money, and if they don't reciprocate the same with Michael, he'll leave camp as well.
The Seahawks are in a tough situation right now that is going to take an erudite mind to solve it.

Seafan

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1ezmrau7 said:
SeaChase":1ezmrau7 said:

I just roll my eyes at posts like this. Like I've said in other threads, everyone must honor their contract. You just don't understand NFL contracts.

sutz

Reaction score
RW92":2xsd2qc7 said:
I know I'm new here, and I know that it is far fetched, but is there anyway that Russell could restructure his contract and transfer some of his money now, to be given back to him in later years with interest, so they could help Kam and Michael Bennett? Because if they give Kam any money, and if they don't reciprocate the same with Michael, he'll leave camp as well.
The Seahawks are in a tough situation right now that is going to take an erudite mind to solve it.
Uh......no.

Or are you talking about Russell Okung? Him IDK, but I doubt it.

Kam is still one of the higher paid safeties in the league (I said high-er, not high-est guys). Redoing a deal this early is a bad idea. If it comes down to it, we'll play without him, I think, and just take is pay back, one game at a time.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I gotta admit, it really really bothers me that it is Kam pulling this stunt. Only Wilson and Earl rank ahead of him among seahawks in my mind. Just about any other Hawk could do this and I wouldnt really care that much.

The holdout won't be good for anyone and it will most likely accomplish nothing.

As always, no one player is more important than the team, and I believe in following principles and being consistent. The hawks are wise not to give in to Kam's demands.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Seafan":2tq7b3nc said:
SalishHawkFan":2tq7b3nc said:
SeaChase":2tq7b3nc said:

I just roll my eyes at posts like this. Like I've said in other threads, everyone must honor their contract. You just don't understand NFL contracts.
Exactly what seafan said

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Seafan":2hl1bn4h said:
SalishHawkFan":2hl1bn4h said:
SeaChase":2hl1bn4h said:

THANK YOU!

I have tried to explain that to people in the past and some of them just don't get it.

If a team and player sign a contract that stipulates that the team may opt-out of the contract but the player cannot opt out, THEN THAT IS THE CONTRACT.

When the team opts out of the deal they ARE honoring the contract because the contract states that the team may opt-out.

Now, NFL contracts certainly give the team more flexibility than the player, BUT THAT IS THE CONTRACT.

Have we ever heard of an NBA team signing someone to a contract and then refusing to pay the player? No. We have never heard of that because it would be BREAKING THE CONTRACT and the nba would have to use its ultimate authority to step in and threaten to kick the team out of the nba.

Thank you for doing your part to enlighten ignorant people.

jewhawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1m65y3xc said:

If a player wants to ensure he will be paid his market value every year, he can sign one year deals the way Revis did before this year. Of course, then the player would have no protection in the future if he gets injured or under-performs. The signing bonus and guaranteed money in a long-term deal is like insurance for the player for injury or under-performance. The cost of that insurance is the non-ability to demand more money if he over-performs his deal.

And it isn't fair to simply say the team can terminate the contract at any point. Yeah, they can, but because of signing bonuses and guarantees it's not without consequence, If Kam had regressed in 2013 after signing his deal, the team would have been stuck eating the guaranteed money in his deal.

cheese22

Reaction score
What good is a contract if you're just going to try to renegotiate after having 2 good years? Sets a very bad precedence. I've never heard of a guy giving money back for a poor performance. Why should the players be the only one to benefit from over/under achieving, but not the owners? I love Kam, and he's not the first or last to do this, but it's a pretty selfish act to pull on the rest of your team.

Redsand187

Reaction score
Hawks46":nmpn93fe said:
Yea, the Seahawks honestly aren't in a position to do anything about his contract. Even if they had the cap space, they can't.

What drives me crazy is that I know these players have a limited window to maximize the money they get, but they honestly don't seem to understand the actual salary cap. The Seahawks have signed contracts like Bennett, Wilson, Wagner, and traded for Graham....knowing what Kam was slated to make and building around that. It's not like they had Kam sign a contract, then help money back just in case Kam decided to hold out.

On top of that is setting the precedent. Lynch was just forwarded money from the next year. It wasn't an addition and it was all accounted for in his contract. If Kam holds out and is successful, you're going to see Bennett sit immediately. Probably add at least a couple of more guys to that list.
Revis has said it, and it really is true... it's not the players responsibility to manage a teams cap. It's a straight business transaction, supply and demand. If a team has a demand and a single player is the only one who can supply it, it's up to the team to pay whatever it costs to get what it needs. If a player decides they would rather stay home and eat cheetos than play for the team, or wants to go to a different team or pursue another career rather than play for the money that is being offered, that is their own choice. Just because the Seahawks can only pay Kam 4.5 million, doesn't mean he has to play for that. He can very much decide that 4.5 million isn't lucrative enough for him to get off the couch.

I think the real deal here is with Wilson and Wagner's contracts eating more cap space in the later years than this year, and Kam's contract is also structured that way, he see's it's likely he won't performing well enough due to age or injury that they will choose to keep him on and pay him the 6.8 in 2017 that he is contracted for. Money may be getting tight by then, so they might be making tough decisions on which older guys to keep around.

I'm guessing he's looking to transfer some of that later cash to this season so he actually gets it. He is probably looking more to swap 2015's base for 2017, which will give him more likelihood of staying on for 2017 and he will take home all the money his contract is written for. Otherwise he'll play for less money this year and when his bigger payday comes in 2017 they may decide he's not worth the money/risk and they can use that cash better somewhere else.

He's looking for Marshawn's restructuring deal.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Things looked like they were heading the right way. Thomas is back (our most crucial defender imo), Wilson and Wagner are locked up for years now and Bennett decided against holding out. And now Kam is holding out :/

I hope this all gets resolved fast so we can claim this damn SB50.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It is presently an impasse between the sides.

Kam's side has zero leverage at present, and all that is happening is he is allowing his backups to get more practice reps. Hopefully this doesn't expose Kam to injury if he reports late as that would reduce his value. Kam is unlikely to get more new money now Wilson and Wagner have done their deals. His time to negotiate was before last season.

Given the shadow of a Bennett holdout if Chancellor is redone JS can't really move w/o redoing Bennett's deal too, and that should be clear Kam's agent, who should be advising him to report and join a discussion with Bennett being involved.

I'm not sure the team can do anything here until he reports. However this may get ugly.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Kam's signing bonus is now leverage for the Seahawks' brass. They're not going to demand it back unless they have to.

Latest posts