Schefter: Hawks among teams interested in K Dan Carpenter

razor150

Reaction score
Hauschka was just shy of a 60+ kick in the San Diego game. Concerns on his leg strength are a bit unfounded.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I'm being 100% serious when I say we need to wait for Detroit drop Havar Rugland, that due will be known as the best nfl kicker in a season or 2.

3/3 50,49,33 yards in his first 3 FG attempts EVER in a game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Why is everyone so down on Hauschka? He's been money ever since we grabbed him off waivers. Last year his 3 misses?

50 yards - blocked (at Arizona)
51 yards - wide left (at San Fran)
61 yards - short (at Detroit)

That's it.

AZHawkfan

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3sx0my5w said:
I'm being 100% serious when I say we need to wait for Detroit drop Havar Rugland, that due will be known as the best nfl kicker in a season or 2.

3/3 50,49,33 yards in his first 3 FG attempts EVER in a game.

I agree 100%

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
One potential worry about Haushka is how big of an injury risk he is. Maybe the playoffs were just a one time thing, but your kicker has to be there every day without a second thought.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I don't see why the interest? Houska barely missed a 61 yarder and never missed inside the 50. Maybe it's just to push him more because Wiggs (or whatever) isn't cutting it?

shawnsim

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":oibum3dm said:
One potential worry about Haushka is how big of an injury risk he is. Maybe the playoffs were just a one time thing, but your kicker has to be there every day without a second thought.

Remember that he had to kickoff multiple times in the Az and Buffalo and 9er games. Good for us but bad for him.

I even remember the announcers commenting about him hurting himself. Its not just kicking, its the coverage as well. Lots of running and hitting.

As far as his range goes. I clearly remember Pete not giving him a chance to hit many long range FGs. Of course Pete knows him better than I do but, Some games could have been different.

Unless we get a guy that kicks 70 yarders consistently,I support Haushka. I don't want to see a new untested guy at this point in the Hawks run to glory.

mikeak

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2ix2ivt4 said:
Hauschka was ranked 15th overall in this list (it's BR don't shoot the messenger) but he was perfect inside 50 yards last year. I suspect he spent some time working on his range in the off season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444 ... 32-kickers

1) I watched him throughout his college career and was surprised when he went to the NFL. I agree 100% with you and it was the first thing I thought when he missed the kick in pre-season. He was straight down the middle it was a great kick and much more power than I think we saw last year

Fuzzman55":2ix2ivt4 said:

2) It isn't like he got injured celebrating a made kick (Grammatica).......anybody can get hurt it happened ONCE

3) Pick up the norweigan, darn did he just have a very bad case of broken toe-nail? well that sucks IR for the rest of the season have a competition next year

OP
OP
Missing_Clink

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ttygiim said:
Why is everyone so down on Hauschka? He's been money ever since we grabbed him off waivers. Last year his 3 misses?

That's it.

I'm not down on him. But I would say that in this day and age, being accurate at short range and kicking long FGs probably aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sure Pete would like to be able to confidently go for a 54 yard FG at times in the coming season, and perhaps right now he just can't.

kearly

Reaction score
Funny, someone in the NFL forum mentioned that Carpenter was available the other day and the reaction was (understandably) mocking dismissal. Kind of funny that Seattle is actually pursuing him now.

As far as the reasoning, it has a lot more to do with Wiggs than Hauschka. Pete wants legit competition at every part of the team, and Wiggs just hasn't been anywhere close to competitive with Hauschka in practices.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":35y47f0h said:
Hasselbeck":35y47f0h said:

That's it.

I'm not down on him. But I would say that in this day and age, being accurate at short range and kicking long FGs probably aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sure Pete would like to be able to confidently go for a 54 yard FG at times in the coming season, and perhaps right now he just can't.

Hauschka almost hit a 61 yarder. I'd say he could probably kick a 54 yarder if the team asked him to do so.

chris98251

Reaction score
Legs in camp to help with drills and Keep Haushka fresh, Special teams drills for returns and coverage can burn a leg up quick, he had a injury in Washington also due to loose turf.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
kearly":2aywajw8 said:
Funny, someone in the NFL forum mentioned that Carpenter was available the other day and the reaction was (understandably) mocking dismissal. Kind of funny that Seattle is actually pursuing him now.

As far as the reasoning, it has a lot more to do with Wiggs than Hauschka. Pete wants legit competition at every part of the team, and Wiggs just hasn't been anywhere close to competitive with Hauschka in practices.

The OP said the teams that are "likely to pursue" Carpenter. It did not say the Hawks were actually doing so.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Interesting. Let's see how it plays out. Steven did great last year for us and seems to have increased his leg strength from last year.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If we are just bringing in a back up I root for kickalicious from Detroit. The guy doesn't have enough experience to start but he has crazy skills.

The Radish

Reaction score
chris98251":lelta8jk said:
Legs in camp to help with drills and Keep Haushka fresh, Special teams drills for returns and coverage can burn a leg up quick, he had a injury in Washington also due to loose turf.

This

For those of you that haven't been to training camps they work the hell out of the kickers. They are in all the team kick off/punt drills and then work out all day themselves. So the more legs around the better.

:les:

cacksman

Reaction score
This seems to be PURE speculation on Schefter's part based on the fact that it is still fresh in everyone's mind that we had to pick up a free agent kicker in the postseason.