RW3's legacy

NoGain

Reaction score
I wonder if RW will ever be honest with himself and admit how good he had it in Seattle, the place that he believed was holding him back from being the Manning, Brady, Brees he convinced himself he was.

toffee

Reaction score
I wonder if RW will ever be honest with himself and admit how good he had it in Seattle, the place that he believed was holding him back from being the Manning, Brady, Brees he convinced himself he was.
For whatever reason, Wilson built and lived in a cocoon. The inner circle, the yes men in that cocoon may helped Wilson to believe that he legacy was in danger mainly due to Pete and Peteball.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I dunno. Did he really believe what he said about doing high knees on an airplane for four hours while the rest of his team was sleeping?

strohmin

Reaction score
lol he wanted money. Hes just trying to get through his 5 year contract with as much money as possible. Hes gonna try his best but he knows he cant carry any team to the playoffs let alot a superbowl. With that amount of money, he doesnt need seattle.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Before the 2022 season, Wilson was saying he planned to play another 10-12 years and win another three or four Super Bowls with the Broncos. He hasn't said those plans have changed, and now, in addition to being with the team he wanted, he's got the head coach he wanted since his Seahawks days.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think Russ is a guy who always loved and believed more in what he could do as an athlete than he did the sports he played. I also think he enjoys the prestige associated with celebrity stardom more than he does the xs and os.

One might argue that most all pro athletes enjoy the stardom, but i think for some, the fire for the game burns brighter than others, beyond just the sport itself, the strategy, the work required to be the best... the grind, is the root that feeds everything else.

With Russ... there's the facade of the guy who puts in the time and enjoys the grind. But other than the reports that he's the first guy in and last guy out, the evidence of that diligence isn't there. If it was, you woukdnt see him making the same mistakes in year 11 that he did in year 1. Or, as ADB said, being called out for screwing up a play in practice on Tuesday, and it still not being fixed come GameDay.

And behind that facade? A guy who is still not capable of picking up what Kurt Warner described as high school concepts when he analyzed Russ's tape.

A guy who puts on the appearance of being Mr philanthropy, but is found to be using his charity to disproportionately line his friends pockets relative to the $ going to thise in need.

A 'celebrity' who enjoys being seen and making known how hard he's working in the public eye, over and over rather than just putting his head down and letting his hard work show in obvious improvement.

And the evidence that the above being accurate? The testimony of his former teammates who became fed up at a guy who didn't mind taking the spotlight while he avoided accountability for mistakes he made. Thise mistakes - pushed onto teammates to shoulder by NEEDING to be a top defense to have a chance to win a championship, or wrs who rather than spending time perfecting their plays, needing to devote time to 'scramble drills'.

So, his legacy is being shaped to be what it has always been, if you listen to what his teammates thought of him ad far back as 2013 and even before that, at NC state. He was just good at creating the image of something else.

He is and will always be a ln incredible talent and athlete who did amazing things for almost a decade in Seattle. But his story, as I see it is more about a gifted athlete who despite not having the skill to be a truly elite qb, came closer to that achievement than any human being should have a right to. Through sheer talent, grit, and determination to not be cast aside, he not only found himself as a qb in the league, but as a starter. And not just as a starter, but for a brief period, one who's achievements rivaled the truly greats.

Russell Wilson. A good QB. A remarkable athlete, generational talent and as a pure competitor, without peers.

And after writing all of that and reflecting on it, maybe i was being too harsh in calling his work ethic a farse. maybe he wasnt just BSing with all the film study he claimed to do. Maybe it just took that much work to get a guy who wasn't necessarily cut out to play the spot to position himself to do what he did. In that sense what he's done is truly remarkable. Because by all accounts and known standards, he should have never even had a chance, let alone put up thr numbers he did.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
His legacy will be... Russell Wilson was essentially a scrambling QB (like Fran Tarkenton) but unlike Tarkenton, Russ struggled making passing progression reads while in the pocket.

Russ also had a big arm (especially for a 5' 10" QB) to make occasional WOW plays downfield that shocked the broadcasters and thrilled his fans. As he aged, the WOW plays became more infrequent.

Russell Wilson's career ended in Denver where even the offensive genius Sean Payton could not devise a scheme to make Russell the shining star that he formerly was with the Seattle Seahawks.

strohmin

Reaction score
I think Russ is a guy who always loved and believed more in what he could do as an athlete than he did the sports he played. I also think he enjoys the prestige associated with celebrity stardom more than he does the xs and os.

One might argue that most all pro athletes enjoy the stardom, but i think for some, the fire for the game burns brighter than others, beyond just the sport itself, the strategy, the work required to be the best... the grind, is the root that feeds everything else.

With Russ... there's the facade of the guy who puts in the time and enjoys the grind. But other than the reports that he's the first guy in and last guy out, the evidence of that diligence isn't there. If it was, you woukdnt see him making the same mistakes in year 11 that he did in year 1. Or, as ADB said, being called out for screwing up a play in practice on Tuesday, and it still not being fixed come GameDay.

And behind that facade? A guy who is still not capable of picking up what Kurt Warner described as high school concepts when he analyzed Russ's tape.

A guy who puts on the appearance of being Mr philanthropy, but is found to be using his charity to disproportionately line his friends pockets relative to the $ going to thise in need.

A 'celebrity' who enjoys being seen and making known how hard he's working in the public eye, over and over rather than just putting his head down and letting his hard work show in obvious improvement.

And the evidence that the above being accurate? The testimony of his former teammates who became fed up at a guy who didn't mind taking the spotlight while he avoided accountability for mistakes he made. Thise mistakes - pushed onto teammates to shoulder by NEEDING to be a top defense to have a chance to win a championship, or wrs who rather than spending time perfecting their plays, needing to devote time to 'scramble drills'.

So, his legacy is being shaped to be what it has always been, if you listen to what his teammates thought of him ad far back as 2013 and even before that, at NC state. He was just good at creating the image of something else.

He is and will always be a ln incredible talent and athlete who did amazing things for almost a decade in Seattle. But his story, as I see it is more about a gifted athlete who despite not having the skill to be a truly elite qb, came closer to that achievement than any human being should have a right to. Through sheer talent, grit, and determination to not be cast aside, he not only found himself as a qb in the league, but as a starter. And not just as a starter, but for a brief period, one who's achievements rivaled the truly greats.

Russell Wilson. A good QB. A remarkable athlete, generational talent and as a pure competitor, without peers.

And after writing all of that and reflecting on it, maybe i was being too harsh in calling his work ethic a farse. maybe he wasnt just BSing with all the film study he claimed to do. Maybe it just took that much work to get a guy who wasn't necessarily cut out to play the spot to position himself to do what he did. In that sense what he's done is truly remarkable. Because by all accounts and known standards, he should have never even had a chance, let alone put up thr numbers he did.
No doubt he works hard but he deserves the harsh criticism for how he speaks in all of his press conferences while producing different results. I mean just watch his introductory press conferences after he was traded and his contract extension press conference. He said alot of things he was gonna do but didnt even come close to doing. If he didnt want to be judged this harshly, he should just shut his mouth and try his best.

toffee

Reaction score
I often wonder, in the past 2-3 years after I was off the Wilson bandwagon, what was Wilson doing in the film room? Purportedly, he spent hours every day looking at films, but what's he seeing? Similarly, we were told that he's a workout fanatic, he spent 7 digits every year on training and nutritional stuff, but if you looked at him in the past few years, you have to question the competence of the helps he hired.

keasley45

Reaction score
Legacy

The article actually makes a great point about the guaranteed money the Donks would be on the hook for if he gets injured and fails a physical to start the season... 37 additional mil.

And it's not as though the chances of him getting hurt are slim, given he needs to run to succeed and that he's sacked at an absurd rate.

But yeah, this and the cloud of doubt and drama he created from 2020 on will be the legacy that most remember. What he did before will be credited in large part to others.