Russell Wilson: Role Model

aawolf

Reaction score
I know what your thinking: another Russell Wilson love-fest post about what a great guy he is and how he's a roll model, ect.

But, this is different, at least to me.

This is a story about what he does when nobody is looking and something that I'm sure he never expected to get publicized. Its not visiting kids at the Children's Hospital, which is what several athletes do and which they get much-deserved press for. It just highlights, outside of the public domain, how good of a guy he is. Christians get a bad rep for gay-bashing and being otherwise intolerant, but most of us strive to be the type of good Samaritan that RW is as is demonstrated by simple acts of charity.

The story was on Fox Business and it was about a woman, Muara Horton, who has a line of clothing designed to help disabled people who have trouble dressing by using buttons on the clothes with magnets instead of buttons. The business is called MagnaReady. She described the incident on TV that lead to the invention: her husband was an assistant football coach at NC State, and one day, after a game in which the team lost, he was having trouble getting dressed. One player, seeing that he was having difficulty, volunteered to come over and dress him. It was later discovered that the assistant coach had Parkinson's Disease and his symptoms were just starting to manifest. That player was, of course, Russell Wilson. Now, you know that this was never supposed to be publicized and that RW would never come out and state that he helped one of his coaches get dressed in the locker room, but you could tell how thankful the family was that someone cared deeply enough to help without being asked. I just thought this was a touching story about the type of person Russell Wilson is.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Read about it before but it speaks volumes of the guy. It's actually scary how likable and inspirational this man is.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He is the anti-Kaepernick. LOVE him.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
aawolf":2ak6vv5c said:
I know what your thinking: another Russell Wilson love-fest post about what a great guy he is and how he's a roll model, ect.

But, this is different, at least to me.

This is a story about what he does when nobody is looking and something that I'm sure he never expected to get publicized. Its not visiting kids at the Children's Hospital, which is what several athletes do and which they get much-deserved press for. It just highlights, outside of the public domain, how good of a guy he is. Christians get a bad rep for gay-bashing and being otherwise intolerant, but most of us strive to be the type of good Samaritan that RW is as is demonstrated by simple acts of charity.

The story was on Fox Business and it was about a woman, Muara Horton, who has a line of clothing designed to help disabled people who have trouble dressing by using buttons on the clothes with magnets instead of buttons. The business is called MagnaReady. She described the incident on TV that lead to the invention: her husband was an assistant football coach at NC State, and one day, after a game in which the team lost, he was having trouble getting dressed. One player, seeing that he was having difficulty, volunteered to come over and dress him. It was later discovered that the assistant coach had Parkinson's Disease and his symptoms were just starting to manifest. That player was, of course, Russell Wilson. Now, you know that this was never supposed to be publicized and that RW would never come out and state that he helped one of his coaches get dressed in the locker room, but you could tell how thankful the family was that someone cared deeply enough to help without being asked. I just thought this was a touching story about the type of person Russell Wilson is.

I saw that story awhile ago. Proud to call him our QB

TwilightError

Reaction score
He is the only athlete whose words I sometimes use in work life. You know, "separation is in the preparation", " dont be afraid to excel", or " dont shy away from opportunity"..

AVL

Reaction score
I cringe when entertainers are referred to as role models, and pro athletes fall in that category.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I had not read this story. It was a magnanimous gesture on Russell's part to help his coach. I simply cannot express my gratitude on our much I appreciate Russell Wilson as a leader with the Seahawks. I have no doubts that he will remain a Seahawk for life!

rideaducati

Reaction score
Pfft... Kaep has eleventy thousand pairs of shoes that he never wears because they don't match his dolphins lid. Street cred is way more important than being a role model.

Sincerely
Niner fan