Russell Wilson is third best QB in NFL, per Sporting News

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm not anti-Wilson, but putting him above a guy that has completed over 70% of his passes the past two years as he approaches 40 is insanity. One is playing at a far higher level than the other, legs be darned. Russ is a very effective player, but Brees is a first-ballot, unanimous HOF QB playing at a far higher level, and Russell, although very probably not his fault, has been regressing, or at the least, not improving in the sense of controlling the game with his mind.

This season with a new coordinator is going to go a long ways in determining if our problems finding any rhythm and consistency against zone defenses are the fault of the quarterback or the former coordinator.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Brees is still a Top 5 QB, but he’s not what he once was. He’s turning the big “4 0” next season. That’s just nature taking its course. Fortunately for him, he is surrounded by an absurd amount of offensive talent, including the best pass blocking OL in the NFL, and one of the best play calling tandems in football.

Steve2222

Reaction score
You put Russell in New Orleans system the past 10 years, playing at least 9 games a year in a dome, with Sean Payton running the offense, I guarantee he puts up the same numbers Brees does, if not better.

I'd love to see Brees perform in this ****show Russell has had to put up with the past three years.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love Drew Brees, one of my all time favorite players. But behind this crap o line? He wouldn't be nearly as successful as Russ. And no, I'm not saying Russ is better than Brees. He may be better right now overall, but Brees is an all time great. Shoot, Russ would flat out shred any defense out there w/solid blocking in front of him. Just like Brees has done for years. Russ a better QB than Brees? Nope, not yet at least.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Brees is a better pocket passer than Wilson, there's no doubt. Arguably the most accurate thrower of the football ever and very cerebral. Keep in mind that aside from a better supporting cast and coach, he also has ten years more experience than Russ at this point, so it does made sense.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
So I am new here, been lurking for a while, trying to get the feel for the board. Seems a lot like our current political environment, lots of far left, lots of far rights, and a few in the middle. So I know this will automatically put me at odds with some. I am a Wilson fan and put him top 5. However not in front of Brees. That said this whole thing got me thinking. So I decided to do a stat based comparison, based on avg per year. I figured Brees would win easily like 8-3 with Wilson only getting the nod in the rushing and combined stats. I was wrong. (B next to stat shows Brees won, W means Wilson won)

Brees 17 years
66.9 comp% B
4144 avg passing yards per year B
7.58 ypa
28 tds passing avg per year B
13 int avg per year
2.15 td/int ratio per year
Qb rating 96.7
43 rush yard avg per year
1 rush td avg per year
Total yards per year 4187
Totals TD per year 29

Wilson 6 years
64% comp
3696 avg yards per year
7.83 ypa W
27 tds avg per year
9 avg ints per year W
3 td/int ratio W
Qb rating 98.8 W
546 rush yards per year avg W
2.8 rush tds per year avg W
Total yards avg 4242 W
Total Tds avg 29.8 W

So in the 11 categories Brees (B)wins 3. Wilson(W) wins 8. I am actually surprised as I thought Brees would win most of them, but nope. Even if we remove the 4 rushing orientated ones Wilson still wins 4-3. To be honest, I was shocked given 1 Brees is really good, 2 he has had the benefit of a better oline, play calling, and a system built for him. However again I was wrong.

I also decided to see if there were any season in which Wilson outplayed Brees to answer the statement of “There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better the Drew Brees was an any point in his career” So for one obviously Qb rating, any rushing stat. That said if you look at both of their 2nd years in the league Wilson outplayed Brees by a lot. Also in their 5th year. Now I am not including the 1st, 3rd and 4th as Breed did not play the whole season those years. You can even make a great argument Wilsons 6th year was better than Brees. Now that said to me Brees still gets the nod but only because he has been doing it longer. I put Wilson top 5 probably 4 to me which is still great.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Hawk1217":2oyy14xh said:
So I am new here, been lurking for a while, trying to get the feel for the board. Seems a lot like our current political environment, lots of far left, lots of far rights, and a few in the middle. So I know this will automatically put me at odds with some. I am a Wilson fan and put him top 5. However not in front of Brees. That said this whole thing got me thinking. So I decided to do a stat based comparison, based on avg per year. I figured Brees would win easily like 8-3 with Wilson only getting the nod in the rushing and combined stats. I was wrong. (B next to stat shows Brees won, W means Wilson won)

Brees 17 years
66.9 comp% B
7.58 ypa
13 int avg per year
Qb rating 96.7
1 rush td avg per year
Totals TD per year 29

Wilson 6 years
64% comp
3696 avg yards per year
7.83 ypa W
27 tds avg per year
9 avg ints per year W
3 td/int ratio W
Qb rating 98.8 W
Total yards avg 4242 W
Total Tds avg 29.8 W

So in the 11 categories Brees (B)wins 3. Wilson(W) wins 8. I am actually surprised as I thought Brees would win most of them, but nope. Even if we remove the 4 rushing orientated ones Wilson still wins 4-3. To be honest, I was shocked given 1 Brees is really good, 2 he has had the benefit of a better oline, play calling, and a system built for him. However again I was wrong.

I also decided to see if there were any season in which Wilson outplayed Brees to answer the statement of “There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better the Drew Brees was an any point in his career” So for one obviously Qb rating, any rushing stat. That said if you look at both of their 2nd years in the league Wilson outplayed Brees by a lot. Also in their 5th year. Now I am not including the 1st, 3rd and 4th as Breed did not play the whole season those years. You can even make a great argument Wilsons 6th year was better than Brees. Now that said to me Brees still gets the nod but only because he has been doing it longer. I put Wilson top 5 probably 4 to me which is still great.

:greetingsearthling:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk1217":3bs3tx2j said:

Brees 17 years
66.9 comp% B
7.58 ypa
13 int avg per year
Qb rating 96.7
1 rush td avg per year
Totals TD per year 29

Wilson 6 years
64% comp
3696 avg yards per year
7.83 ypa W
27 tds avg per year
9 avg ints per year W
3 td/int ratio W
Qb rating 98.8 W
Total yards avg 4242 W
Total Tds avg 29.8 W

This is signifiicant information; thank you for compiling it. I"m glad you're joining the conversation. If this is the sort of information you're going to bring, you'll add greatly to the logic and facts foundation sought by many of us.

RW has done an amazing job for us. With an overall good o-line, it'll be even better.