Russell Wilson is third best QB in NFL, per Sporting News

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2fofn7yy said:
Aros":2fofn7yy said:
I literally don't have a clue who this Davis Hsu is, and for that matter why any of us care what he has to say?

His followers include some high profile names. So he isn't just some clown throwing stuff around.

https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/fol ... you_follow

I follow Jim Gaffigan because I think he's funny. Very possible that those high profile names are following Hsu because they also feel that his posts are comedic relief. The guy is a blowhard tool.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Tical21":1ty38s6k said:
There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better than Drew Brees was at any point in his career.

Qualify and quantify, please, Tical, if you wish this point to hold any validity.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2odp7kwt said:
Tical21":2odp7kwt said:
There will never be a day in the career of Russell Wilson where he wakes up and is better than Drew Brees was at any point in his career.

Qualify and quantify, please, Tical, if you wish this point to hold any validity.

Like when Russell Wilson is 35 and and Drew Brees is 45?

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":2knusfel said:

I know the point you're trying to make as a pure QB, but Russ is better all-around than him right now.

Put Brees on the Hawks, and Russell on the Saints, what do you think happens last year? Does Brees put up Wilson's numbers behind that O-Line with no running game? I say not a chance. He would of have been injured most likely and called washed up. Russell on the other hand probably would of set the passer rating record for a single season, and won the MVP. He nearly won the MVP last year with the worst protection, and that historically bad running game.

At the end of the day Russ still has a higher career passer rating, despite the Cable/Bevell handicap. Give Russ Sean Payton, and the Saints O-Line. Plus with Russ' ability to get it done with his legs, c'mon son.

I find it absolutely miraculous Russ is the 2nd highest rated passer of all-time. Given the clown car show he has been surrounded by for years.

Highest Rated Passers of All-Time
1st Rodgers 103.8
2nd Wilson 98.8
3rd Brady 97.6
--
--
6th Brees 96.7

If Russ has never been better than Brees he should not have a higher career rating than him, he should not even be close to him actually. Especially when you factor in Brees being paired with Payton, and good to great O-Lines. While Russ has been paired with the opposite. Also look at Brees career before he linked up with Payton. Brees had 1 good season out of 5. Brees didn't start putting up monster numbers until he linked up with Payton, and I don't think that was a coincidence. Brees would have still been awesome, Payton made/makes him awesomer.

Russ is an extremely rare Steve Young / Fran Tarkenton hybrid that has been underappreciated by not just the national media blowhards, but sadly his own fan base. Appreciated him folks.

chris98251

Reaction score
Brees also said Schotty was the guy that helped him jump to the next level when he was in San Diego, we have something to look forward to.

Seafan

Reaction score
Sporting News is owned by Paul Allen.

18 months ago John Clayton said RW was the best QB in the league, basically echoing several other talking heads in the media. A few months later they said he wasn't top 8.

Blah, blah, blah. Who cares what the pundits say. The only thing important is what Pete and JS think.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Seafan":2tlz8tgm said:
Sporting News is owned by Paul Allen.

18 months ago John Clayton said RW was the best QB in the league, basically echoing several other talking heads in the media. A few months later they said he wasn't top 8.

Blah, blah, blah. Who cares what the pundits say. The only thing important is what Pete and JS think.

What do you think they think?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tical21":1w7dgo12 said:
Can you tell me how to see the future, too?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Not much I'm going to say to this RW slobfest thread except I will wait
till the season to say if he is worth the $35-40 million a year you want
to toss @him.
The rankings I could care less about..I want wins and smart QB play.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
IndyHawk":ni6hc3a3 said:
to toss @him.

He's worth whatever he says he's worth. The question is how much he wants to win because the QBs who do tend to take less money.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yeah I'm willing to be top QB money isn't going to be 40M in two years when Russ starts his new contract.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Perhaps they take less money so they can keep winning, and keep a team around them.

toffee

Reaction score
Tical21":jigxs3iy said:
care to elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":189qn0ca said:
IndyHawk":189qn0ca said:
to toss @him.

He's worth whatever he says he's worth. The question is how much he wants to win because the QBs who do tend to take less money.

It may be more accurate to say he's worth what a team will pay him, regardless of what he says about himself. And that value will be different from team-to-team.

The Hawks will certainly have to pony up a significant amount on his next contract, but the higher the % of total cap, the worse off for the team; if RW wants to continue winning games, he'll take that into account to some degree. It's the FO's job to balance the worth of one person with the needs of fielding a winning team. Not an easy balancing act, and there's no way to exactly foresee future production from past experience, or project the value of that one player to the overall team.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":12x4mijc said:
hawknation2018":12x4mijc said:
IndyHawk":12x4mijc said:
to toss @him.

It may be more accurate to say he's worth what a team will pay him, regardless of what he says about himself. And that value will be different from team-to-team.

The Hawks will certainly have to pony up a significant amount on his next contract, but the higher the % of total cap, the worse off for the team; if RW wants to continue winning games, he'll take that into account to some degree. It's the FO's job to balance the worth of one person with the needs of fielding a winning team. Not an easy balancing act, and there's no way to exactly foresee future production from past experience, or project the value of that one player to the overall team.

Certainly there is some team out there willing to pay him more the Seahawks would want to on the open market. It's on Russell to say what he's worth, and hopefully that number is low enough to allow the team to be competitive at other positions.

chris98251

Reaction score
Certainly there is some team out there willing to pay him more the Seahawks would want to on the open market. It's on Russell to say what he's worth, and hopefully that number is low enough to allow the team to be competitive at other positions.

Actually Aaron will be setting the market and type of contract, if he gets his way his contract will have a escalator that nullifies it if he is not in a certain area of money based on the rest of the contracts for QB's in the league. Or in other words keeping him the top paid QB all the time.

Imagine now if Wilson wants to one up Rodgers in money and years and has that same kind of escalator, won't take long to turn things into a fiasco. Add that Wilson has a baseball guy as a manager and we know baseball has some damn weird type of contracts and are always shooting for the moon this could become problematic fast.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/1008346275115425793[/tweet]

Today is a special day to acknowledge the efforts of all fathers who strive to help their sons and daughters become the very best they can become. I wish each and every one of you all the very best in your endeavor.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Even if all this were true, this is a big sign that Wilson needs a coach that will push him, teach him, to a certain extent help control him, etc. It's not unlike Favre, who needed his natural QBing gifts channeled through a disciplined approach in order to truly elevate his game to the highest level.[/quote]

"A Big Sign"? that big sign would pertain to every single Quarterback in the League, as there's not a single one of them that can rest on their accomplishments.
There are always nuances, & Defenses find ways to take quarterbacks out of their comfort zones, so It's an ongoing gig.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
toffee":sh5v9gz5 said:
Tical21":sh5v9gz5 said:
care to elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realize that you're asking him to "Elaborate" on an Opinion, right? :rofl:

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Tical21":dx89u2b4 said:

I suppose that can be a valid sentiment if your idea of a QB leans towards one-dimensional, stay in the pocket 'statue' style. And many fans will only ever support this type.
But I would say RW is the best 'Russell Wilson' style quarterback every game he has and will ever play in the future for the Seattle Seahawks. And more importantly, Russell Wilson knows he's better.