Russell Wilson hangin out with Jarryd Hayne

original poster

Reaction score
Best of luck to him, will be interesting to see how he gets on this season.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The Niners make sense.
There's another guy there learning the game as well... goes by the name Colon I think.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I was about as excited for him to make the team and start as i was for Brian Banks.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Making the Niners roster is also probably/possibly easier than making the Hawks roster which I would assume factor into his decision.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It had to do with the familiarity he had with Jim Tomsula and why he choose him once he became the 49ers coach. The 49ers also gave Lawrence Okoye (Discus) a chance to learn the game as well.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
HawkNuts":6yzc1m1x said:
KiwiHawk":6yzc1m1x said:
HawkNuts":6yzc1m1x said:
He will be the bomb until he gets rocked and lays the football on the turf.

But I'm excited to see what he can do.
You clearly don't watch much Rugby.

SportJoke.JPG

And you clearly never played much football.

I played for 14 years I didn't just watch it. It's not a question of toughness, it is a different sport. I have all kinds of respect for Rugby. But you are showing your ignorance.
Far from it. I have played football. I grew up in the good old USA and lived there for 35 years before moving to New Zealand. I am very familiar with both sports and the physical demands of each.

The very idea that a rugby league player would be OK until he got a big hit is simply stupid and ignorant. Rugby League players take and give big hits all the time, with the exception that they don't wear pads. There's even a segment on one of the main sports shows called "Smashed 'em Bro" that features the biggest hits of the week from both Union and League.

Perhaps you got the wrong impression from the image I posted - that's football as in soccer, not as in NFL.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2g8mu1jh said:
HawkNuts":2g8mu1jh said:
KiwiHawk":2g8mu1jh said:
HawkNuts":2g8mu1jh said:
He will be the bomb until he gets rocked and lays the football on the turf.

But I'm excited to see what he can do.
You clearly don't watch much Rugby.

SportJoke.JPG

And you clearly never played much football.

I played for 14 years I didn't just watch it. It's not a question of toughness, it is a different sport. I have all kinds of respect for Rugby. But you are showing your ignorance.
Far from it. I have played football. I grew up in the good old USA and lived there for 35 years before moving to New Zealand. I am very familiar with both sports and the physical demands of each.

The very idea that a rugby league player would be OK until he got a big hit is simply stupid and ignorant. Rugby League players take and give big hits all the time, with the exception that they don't wear pads. There's even a segment on one of the main sports shows called "Smashed 'em Bro" that features the biggest hits of the week from both Union and League.

Perhaps you got the wrong impression from the image I posted - that's football as in soccer, not as in NFL.

I guess we will find out if and when he plays next year. But to say my point went over you head would be a vast understatement.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I guess we will, but I believe you vastly underestimate the ball handling skill of rugby players. I find it difficult to believe you watch rugby on a regular basis, whereas I watch Super 15, ITM Cup, and of course the internationals. I also watch pro and college football, so I reckon I am in a good place to judge.

In fact, I would say the biggest hurdle a football player would have transitioning to Rugby would be the ball handling. They just aren't used to the offloads and laterals.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
As Kiwihawk has said, rugby players take big hits and get concussions etc all the time. The physical transition shouldn't be an issue at all, asides from getting used to running in pads and a helmet. The way Hayne hits the backrowers in the line in rugby league would be very similar to running into linebackers in football. The biggest hurdle will be learning schemes/tactics. An added bonus is that rugby players tend to be a lot better at tackling than football players, although I guess that would only really help if he ends up on defense.

Decimation

Reaction score
The niners? I hope he enjoys being last place in the west. The niners are screwed and it's so obvious why they're screwed. Thanks 49ers for becoming lesser competition and helping guide us to another Super Bowl appearance and win. [emoji57]