Russell Wilson Contract (speculation)

Tokadub

Reaction score
I don't really pay too much attention too our pay roll to be honest.

But Percy Harvin does seem like the huge bust at this moment. We are really paying this dude millions of dollars per season when he really hasn't displayed even the slightest shred of consistency or durability to play a full season?

Percy Harvin was without a doubt a huge gamble, and I hope he comes through with us with a Super Bowl run, that was clearly the objective to bring him here, one or two big plays we win Super Bowl money well spent...

And I know people have been complaining a lot about Sidney Rice and how we are paying him way too much money. I really don't agree with that sentiment until he got injured this year. I considered him to be our best overall receiver last year. That was no fluke when you consider how good Tate and Baldwin are. I don't want to look up the stats but pretty sure Sydney outperformed both of them last year, he is a legit badass receiver. We are just lucky we have guys who can fill his shoes.

So really I think this whole topic is a little off. Why are we focusing on Russel's contract. We should be focusing on the other guys...

For me the question is do our other players have enough loyalty to stay once Russel gets his pay? It really isn't about Russels pay increase, he is the most underpayed player in the league. So why are we thinking about Russel making sacrifices?

We should be wondering which other key players will take a slight hit to be on a dynasty team? Think Ray Allen taking chump change to play with Miami. That's what we have here in Seattle. People should be coming here to play with Russell for dimes on the dollar not the other way around...

All that being said we are such a run heavy offense that I think we might be able to get a little discount comparatively to Russell's talent.

And I do agree with other's sentiment that Russell cares about more than just his paycheck. I say he gets around 16 million a year and he'd be set and we can still keep our other players. THE OTHER PLAYERS are the ones who need too accept a bit smaller paycheck, Russell is getting paid end of story.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I don't see how anybody knows what he guy will ask for. One thing that wouldn't surprise me is if this contract gets signed without much drama. This is a young man that's very much in charge of his own life, so I'd be surprised if he let his agent run amok. No doubt he'll want to be paid well, but it won't become ridiculous, IMO.

Most agents seek out prospective clients. In Russell's case he did his research and found his agent of choice. According to his agent, that was surprising and quite unique. In any event, I expect Russell will be very much in control of the process.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Russell Wilson will get his 7 year 20+ million 140-150 million dollar contact and will be a bargain given he probably will be a 2-3 time Superbowl winner by then.

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
Tom Brady consistently takes less money so that the team can be competitive yearly. I think he's pulling down like $9 million a year now.

Basis4day

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":26hspxu5 said:
Tom Brady consistently takes less money so that the team can be competitive yearly. I think he's pulling down like $9 million a year now.

His wife also makes 40+million a year.

Anthony!

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":zjoqggd8 said:

He also already had his big payday, also his cap hit this year is 14 mil. Also Wilson has not even gotten his first check on his new contract, he is only making 700k this year

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Anthony!":3rq58sfy said:
WilliamCooper":3rq58sfy said:

He also already had his big payday, also his cap hit this year is 14 mil. Also Wilson has not even gotten his first check on his new contract, he is only making 700k this year

I'm not an expert on this but I believe I've read that players do not take pay cuts to their contracts. They restructure to a team friendly contract, money is not reduced.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2mnj0ayw said:
I know Sid got plenty o' money, but when it comes to this guy getting paid .... whooooo.... I'm gonna be the guy who helps pick out his suits.

I know it lame to quote yourself but this reminded me of Mike Rob and how much I miss the RRR. Anyone been listening to his new NFL podcast with Nate Burleson?

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Anthony!":141msnsv said:
WilliamCooper":141msnsv said:

Actually, I believe he received around $30M signing bonus when the deal was done...