Russell signs for 4 years 87.6mil (New Main Wilson Thread)

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":73eyiegy said:
StoneCold":73eyiegy said:
Chukarhawk":73eyiegy said:
Told you this deal was getting done and Russell had very little leverage.

Orly? So what was the original offer?

SC

Russell had plenty of leverage to make this thing messy. He chose the high road and has greatly helped the team by signing this deal.

:thirishdrinkers:

I thought it would be a bigger number. Russell will be considered cheap before this extension is done.

StoneCold

Reaction score
hawknation2015":dp8oy9ss said:
StoneCold":dp8oy9ss said:
Chukarhawk":dp8oy9ss said:

SC

Russell had plenty of leverage to make this thing messy. He chose the high road and has greatly helped the team by signing this deal.

:thirishdrinkers:

And I would bet the final deal included more guarantee, more bonus and more overall money than the first offer made by the Hawks. Both sides had leverage and used it wisely.

SC

two dog

Reaction score
There are several players who are absolutely necessary for continued success.
Thomas III, Sherman, Beast, Kam and Russell to name a few. Bobby is among
those in my not-so-informed but strongly held opinion.

Not to worry grasshopper, it will happen.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I knew he would sign for right around 22 million . Glad it's over and I'm glad they didn't cave in and give him 25, they will need every dollar they can save to keep that defense together. My guess is there was no earthshattering guaranteed money either at the end of the day he got an NFL contract and let's be real Wilson had very little leverage here. Wilson just became the highest or second highest paid QB in the NFL congrats now let's have a great season.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1tj4lf4y said:
I knew he would sign for right around 22 million . Glad it's over and I'm glad they didn't cave in and give him 25, they will need every dollar they can save to keep that defense together. My guess is there was no earthshattering guaranteed money either at the end of the day he got an NFL contract and let's be real Wilson had very little leverage here. Wilson just became the highest or second highest paid QB in the NFL congrats now let's have a great season.

60 Million guaranteed, and it is the second highest contract in NFL history behind only Aarron Rodgers.

pmedic920

Reaction score
It's a very reasonable contract.
As it turns out, many of us were worried for no reason.
I'm happy and relieved.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438366694354362

BTW, I want that rug, and my birthday is not far away :{)

Rocket

Reaction score
Aros":9af6hv72 said:
I personally would celebrate if I heard the NFL made social media illegal for players to use while under contract.
Absolutely !!!
All Hail Schneider !!!
On to Wags !!!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'm glad it's over so that people can stop discussing it and pretending like a contract negotiation has any effect on their lives.

I'm also glad that Wilson got his money, and I'm grateful that Schneider manipulated the deal to show respect while still keeping the team in mind. When you look at how the salary cap could potentially rise over the next five years - Wilson's contract won't be hurting the team any by that point and likely sooner if it hits 150 million in the next couple of years as it very well could. Good show all around, I say.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":1oko1ky1 said:
Chukarhawk":1oko1ky1 said:

SC

He had no leverage because he knew if he played this year on his rookie contract and signed next year he would never make up the difference of missing the contract this year. That's the crux of the whole "no leverage" argument.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Bitter":1pvm90el said:
Hate to break it to everyone, but this is really bad for Seattle.
I don't think it's "really bad" for Seattle, but I don't think it's great either, the way so many other posters have said. Sure, it's a plus that the FO managed to extend, rather than replace, the contract, giving 5 years; but it's also true big-name contracts often go for 6 years, sometimes 7. And $61m guaranteed for an $87m contract? Now that's a buttload, and I sure can't think of anyone else who even comes close to that percentage.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
lsheldon":1e80yrge said:
60 Million guaranteed, and it is the second highest contract in NFL history behind only Aarron Rodgers.

"Guaranteed" doesn't really mean guaranteed. Most NFL guaranteed money (other than sign bonuses) is only guaranteed against injury. It is pretty unlikely that the extra $29 million is fully guaranteed.

He also isn't really the second-highest paid QB, as this is essentially a 5 year $88.3 million contract, since they did not rip up the last year of his rookie deal. In the NFL, you rarely can just divide the total number by the years and come up with an true representation of the contract.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
With the hypothetical numbers that have been thrown around since this began, I feel really good about what this contract ended up being.

Wilson was asking for $25 million a year and $75 million guaranteed. For a while it seemed like he was not going to budge from that. He came down quite a bit to get a deal done.

TwilightError

Reaction score
To me this means that he will get way less slack for poor performances. Now the team is on his shoulder, capwise and on the field. If he can show he is worth it, this is the best thing that can happen.

netskier

Reaction score
Team wins induce forgiveness for individually poor performances. He, and therefore we, are going to do fine, I predict.

Latest posts