Russell Okung back to Seahawks? (Speculation)

Largent80

Reaction score
chris98251":3l722wjk said:
Largent80":3l722wjk said:
What I said was that Okung AT HIS BEST is mediocre and he offer nothing that we don't already have except a friggin 8 to 10 million dollar price.

PASS.

And it's a sack, Okung was bull rushed and went down grabbing his crystal ankle.

Yes. We can all see it. Hell, we HAVE seen it.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
He's a known commodity, sign him for cheap and let him compete against the guys we bring in. I'm hoping someone beat him out, if not then we at least have a mediocre LT.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I hope not, unless he comes back on very favorable terms for the team, he's just not that good and doesn't deserve a big contract, besides he misses about 28% of the games and seemingly is hurt every season.

Largent80

Reaction score
He's not going to sign cheap, although he should realize his days are numbered.

Hoping Fant makes significant progress. He has the athleticism. I want us to draft for backup OL. Keep these expensive FA's that don't offer much where they belong, on other teams.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Russell Okung essentially signed a one-year contract with the Broncos for only $5.2 million and zero added security -- all the gaudy numbers attached to that deal were just an illusion.

I really hope the Seahawks offered to match (or better) that $5.2 million offer because it would have made a huge difference to have him last year while breaking in so many inexperienced starters on the offensive line. $5.2 million is chump change for a veteran LT.

Largent80

Reaction score
The dude commits penalties like he is going to an ATM. Also, he doesn't appear to fit our system even after being in it.

PASS.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Largent80":zttlltzb said:
The dude commits penalties like he is going to an ATM. Also, he doesn't appear to fit our system even after being in it.

PASS.

This is a good point. Arguably, Russell Okung would be better off at RT, where his strength as a dominant run blocker would be emphasized and his inconsistencies in pass protection could be hidden a little better. Some of his false starts and holds had to do with being a blindside blocker going against quicker speed rushers.

This is not a bad looking offensive line on paper:
LT Fant or Gilliam or rookie
LG Glowinski
C Britt
RG Ifedi
RT Okung

It would sure be nice to sandwich Ifedi between two savvy veterans in Britt and Okung. It would also give them a 4th great run blocker and two monsters on the right side.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Okung committed half the penalty yards and surrendered half the pressures in a year than George Fant did in eight games, and is hitting the market humbled in a year when other good tackle options are pretty rare.

Despite Largent80's increasing tendency to reiterate his opinion 5 times in 30 posts, Okung really isn't a horrible option for the Seahawks. There's no way he's going to command more than $6 million from anyone.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3dr94xmn said:
Okung committed half the penalty yards and surrendered half the pressures in a year than George Fant did in eight games, and is hitting the market humbled in a year when other good tackle options are pretty rare.

Despite Largent80's increasing tendency to reiterate his opinion 5 times in 30 posts, Okung really isn't a horrible option for the Seahawks. There's no way he's going to command more than $6 million from anyone.

Okung committed 11 penalties in 16 games started with 2 declined. AVG= 1.45 penalties committed per game. 100 total yards in penalties committed (including declined)

Fant committed 7 penalties in 10 games started with 0 declined. AVG= 1.42 penalties committed per game. 65 total yards in penalties committed.

Not sure where the stat for pressures allowed by individual OTs are but it would be interesting to see the data.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1res0es3 said:
MontanaHawk05":1res0es3 said:

Okung committed 11 penalties in 16 games started with 2 declined. AVG= 1.45 penalties committed per game. 100 total yards in penalties committed (including declined)

Fant committed 7 penalties in 10 games started with 0 declined. AVG= 1.42 penalties committed per game. 65 total yards in penalties committed.

Way to cherry-pick his worst year :roll: . I was referring to 2015, where he racked up a whopping 6 penalties for 35 yards in 13 games.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2l240tfj said:
seahawkfreak":2l240tfj said:
MontanaHawk05":2l240tfj said:

Way to cherry-pick his worst year :roll: . I was referring to 2015, where he racked up a whopping 6 penalties for 35 yards in 13 games.

Alright, to be clear, the post is comparing Fant's 2016 rookie season to Okung's 2015 season. As opposed to comparing to the most recent season they both played in the NFL, like 2016. Ok gotcha. Don't think I was the one cherry picking though.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Seahawks Probowler or College basketball player?

You've got to at least hear his offer.

Boycie

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3pc6p3j6 said:
Largent80":3pc6p3j6 said:

PASS.

This is a good point. Arguably, Russell Okung would be better off at RT, where his strength as a dominant run blocker would be emphasized and his inconsistencies in pass protection could be hidden a little better. Some of his false starts and holds had to do with being a blindside blocker going against quicker speed rushers.

LG Glowinski
C Britt
RG Ifedi
RT Okung

It would sure be nice to sandwich Ifedi between two savvy veterans in Britt and Okung. It would also give them a 4th great run blocker and two monsters on the right side.

I like this scenario!

My only concern is can he play the right side?

DJrmb

Reaction score
It's official now it looks. Okung will be let go in Denver.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JayGlazer/status/834824488113954816[/tweet]

I think that Okung on a 2-3 year incentive laden, low guaranteed money deal makes the most sense of all the options this year. He knows the system, He's clearly motivated, you know his floor is above what you currently have, and you already know he was a guy liked in the locker room.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm still a bit ambivalent on Okung. I trust the guys in charge. I wonder about some of the comments in this thread, though. IMO, Okung's problems stemmed from injuries, both in availabilty and in performance. IIRC, most of his whiffs and misses were tied to the various injuries he tried to play through.

We'll see, I guess. I imagine the FO has been in contact with him, at least to feel things out.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If he does come back will the Seahawks be able to offset his extensive periods of unavailability against his salary or reduce his salary for false start penalties b/c he can't handle speed rushers any longer?

Color me not enthusiastic.

massari

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3n5hwlez said:
Largent80":3n5hwlez said:

PASS.

LG Glowinski
C Britt
RG Ifedi
RT Okung

If Okung can play RT and sign Beachum to play LT, could be a drastic turnaround for the OL considering Beachum likely strugged last season due to playing in a new offensive scheme while recovering from a torn ACL.

Would love to sign all three af Beachum, Okung and Joeckel to cheap prove it type deals, especially since the draft is said to be pretty shallow on OL talent.