It Is Hard To Believe That This Is Really A Picture Of Russell Okung

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
This just shows how a young man can bulk up and radically change his natural physique in order to play college/NFL football... and then let the musculature go and resort back to your natural physique after your playing days are over.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My first concern when seeing that picture was that it was unhealthy, unexplained weight loss, which could be an indicator of some serious health problems. But since it appears that he intentionally lost the weight through diet and exercise and considering my own struggles in controlling my weight, I greatly admire how he could change his lifestyle to accommodate such a dramatic loss of weight.

cymatica

Reaction score
He must be on the David Goggins regiment

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Browns legendary left tackle Joe Thomas also lost weight after retirement.

Thomas looks a lot slimmer than his playing days but didn’t look as skinny as Okung now is.

I think Thomas current weight looks great on him. Not so sure about Okung just yet.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm more impressed with his weight loss or the fact that he maintained weight through his career.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Linemen are bigtime athletes, often with fast metabolisms, and have to eat and supplement to the point of discomfort to maintain their 300lb+ playing weight. Joe Thomas, Alan Faneca and Craig Terrill look like completely different people now that they can eat less/cleaner.

And then you look at some guys who were in great shape while playing - Jones-Drew, Marshall Faulk - kind of the opposite.

And for a lot of guys, post-college or the pros, there is a overall relief to be able to stop the PEDs without worrying about performance outcomes anymore.

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Mark Schlereth is another O linemen who lost a bunch of weight after his career ended

Joe Thomas has said when he was in high school he would eat 1 peanut and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk every half hour in addition to regular meals to gain weight from 255 lbs to over 300

Latest posts