Running the ball didn’t work

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Geno has not shown any threat to throw the ball deep. I checked out of curiosity to re affirm my memory. He completed 1 pass for 17 yds to Lockett and 1 screen pass went for 17 (not counting it because that is all yac). Other than that, all passes were for under 10 yds. Why would anybody not stack the box against the run? Geno has got to push the ball down the field sometime to open the run game up or we are going nowhere. Geno is playing super conservative but you got to at least threaten with the occasional deep shot or you just slowly suffocate like yesterday.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this, would Lock and a little shock and arrrghhhh keep the defenses more honest than dink and dunk Smith?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Geno has not shown any threat to throw the ball deep. I checked out of curiosity to re affirm my memory. He completed 1 pass for 17 yds to Lockett and 1 screen pass went for 17 (not counting it because that is all yac). Other than that, all passes were for under 10 yds. Why would anybody not stack the box against the run? Geno has got to push the ball down the field sometime to open the run game up or we are going nowhere. Geno is playing super conservative but you got to at least threaten with the occasional deep shot or you just slowly suffocate like yesterday.
This^^ I think since RW's departure, a big part of what they're doing Offensively, is resetting on the Pass Protection end of things with our young guns = Pocket Conservatism.
I think like was said in another thread, put Curhan back in there @ Right Guard, & reestablish a bit more of the 'Nasty'.
The Pass sets up the Run/the Run sets up the Pass...It's either DO OR DON'T DO, as Running around in the middle sets you up for Failure.
Once an opponent goes up by 2 scores, Geno hasn't shown to be the kind of Quarterback that can group together any kind of comeback.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
If Pete was really keeping the reigns on Geno, I'd love to see what letting him loose does. Maybe something, maybe nothing. Worth the test though!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If Pete was really keeping the reigns on Geno, I'd love to see what letting him loose does. Maybe something, maybe nothing. Worth the test though!
Really wanna see some strikes up the seam. Geno is pretty good at tossing passes in that range. Probably not gonna go full moonballs, but I'd love to see some good 20 yard strikes here and there.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Pete was asked in 2011 how long he inteded to try establishing the run game given how slow it was taking to develop. He answered "until we get it right". What's interesting is we eventually did, and then went on to back to back SB's. Point is, whether you agree with him or not, Pete will not change his overall formula much even in the face of setbacks. I forsee tweaks to personnell and gameplanning depending on the opponent's strengths/weaknesses, but not much more than that.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Geno not putting points on the board was my criticism of him while the "competition{ was still on. He's been putting up decent numbers otherwise. Cause and effect. If we aren't running the ball to good effect it's because there is something wrong in front of the runner, even though its the RBs taking he heat for it.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I don't think it was really about keeping the reigns on Geno. Maybe to some extent, but he wanted to see how our rookie tackles would hold up against a strong defense. Yes Bosa got his, but overall the rooks did a pretty good job, which gave Pete the info and confidence needed to open things up in the passing game.

Now it's up to Waldron to call a good game and the players to execute.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think Ken Walker has a house call at home, and I think Geno redeems himself, and DK gets at least one.

I think they'll keep churning the rotation until they find the ones that play their assigments correctly, and Pete better really be opening up the offense ie leaving our tackles on an island more.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Geno has not shown any threat to throw the ball deep.

Like that 52 yarder to DK that was called back because Lucas trucked his guy 7 yards downfield?

That's farther than all but one of Deep Threat Wilson's completions this year, and, when measured in air yards, is actuality longer than anything Wilson has completed.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Seems like you are reaching when your only example is a play that didnt even count.

Scout

Reaction score
Geno showed enough tape last year throwing the ball downfield so from my view I don't view it as a concern.

I agree with the others though that when you start two rookie tackles that you don't try to overload them early in the season. Especially against a 49ers front that is in the upper echelon.

The last time I think a team started two rookie tackles was Gruden's first year returning with the Raiders (2018).

With enough time the rookies that are playing significant snaps will gain confidence and trust from the coaching staff to open things up on both sides of the ball. So it is going to be a process throughout the season IMO.

toffee

Reaction score
Our running game worked against the Broncos, Penny could have 100 or close to 100 yards if wouldn't for the untimely penalties. Our running game didn't work at all against a team with excellent defense in 49ers. I suspect our running game will improve as season goes on.

toffee

Reaction score
The major reason for our running game, so far, are the interior linemen plays. At this point, our two rookie tackles, both weren't known for their run blocking from college, are actually doing OKish on run blocking. On PFF, Cross is getting a 62.3 and Lucas a 62.1 on run blocking, both about average. Our interior run blocking is horrible, Blythe is 36.7, Haynes is 46.7, Jackson is surprisingly 66.3 but Jackson's pass blocking is 32.7 ouch.

Past season when Penny was running all over, run blocking wise, Haynes's was 66.7, Pocic was 76, yes 76, Lewis was 60.3, Jack Curhan was 62.1. So based on these grades, subjective opinions of PFF, the major difference is our guard plays, especially at the center position, we down graded from 76 to 36.7. However Austun Blythe's pass blocking is really good at 73.3, may not that's why we are passing more than running?

Too bad Lewis is hurt again, otherwise, we could have him play center??

Latest posts