Receivers Brown/Gordon

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Hot off the virtual press 8/4: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/ ... osh-gordon

"The Seahawks are set to go into the season with Tyler Lockett, D.K. Metcalf, Phillip Dorsett, and David Moore as their top receivers. From a pure talent perspective, Gordon or Brown would provide Russell Wilson with some serious offensive firepower.

“What I’d say to you is what we always say because it’s what we always do and who we are,” Carroll said, in reference to Brown. “[Seahawks GM] John [Schneider] is competing at every turn. There’s never been a process, unless we just missed it, that we weren’t involved with to understand what the chances were of helping our club. He’s all over it. He understands what’s going on right now, as much as you can. It’s a very complex situation. We just need to see where it fits somewhere down the road. That’s all I got for you.”

Brown, 32, comes with some very obvious complications. He could also face even more NFL discipline. His eight-game ban covered only some of his personal conduct policy violations; the league could consider another suspension for an alleged sexual assault.

Carroll seemed to indicate that a Gordon reunion was more likely to happen. Of course, the Seahawks will have to wait for Roger Goodell‘s verdict before making a move.

“It’s not in our hands,” Carroll said. “Josh did a really good job with us last year. He fit in really well. He was part of this team by the way we opened and embraced his coming to us but also by the way he adapted. So we are very open to that thought, and we’ll see what happens. I don’t know. I can’t tell you what’s going to happen on that.”

Mad Dog

Reaction score
They are both great talents with demons on the mental side of things. Hope they get that side of their lives sorted out. Brown sounds like a narcissist and I'm not sure you can fix those guys sadly.

I think we are good to go from a receiving standpoint provided guys stay healthy. Given so much uncertainty about this season, I'm not sure i'd spend much more cap space right now. Get a cheap mid level run stuffer and we are done.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maybe between them we can get a full season? Fine by me.

toffee

Reaction score
Based purely on their past performance, can someone highlight how these two WRs compare? Somehow I think AB was a bigger star, but who is better and why?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Torc

Reaction score
Gordon was a team player while he was here. From what we've seen and heard, he was 'all in' as far as that goes. As far as I know, his positive drug tests were for marijuana, please correct me if I'm wrong on that. But I'm not overly concerned about a drug that is legal in WA and under debate to be allowed in the NFL. It may show that he has an addiction but that doesn't mean he's a bad human being.

Brown, at least from what we've heard in the media, is simply a terrible human being. A net negative in the locker room. Very talented but the negatives outweigh the positives IMO. He's been on teams on both extremes - the Raiders and Steelers are very player friendly. The Patriots are all about the team and the Belichick way and being disciplined. Brown failed to work in both environments in messy and very public ways.

Given a choice between the two, I'd take Gordon in a heartbeat.

John63

Reaction score
Torc":2hqgwqxo said:
Gordon was a team player while he was here. From what we've seen and heard, he was 'all in' as far as that goes. As far as I know, his positive drug tests were for marijuana, please correct me if I'm wrong on that. But I'm not overly concerned about a drug that is legal in WA and under debate to be allowed in the NFL. It may show that he has an addiction but that doesn't mean he's a bad human being.

Brown, at least from what we've heard in the media, is simply a terrible human being. A net negative in the locker room. Very talented but the negatives outweigh the positives IMO. He's been on teams on both extremes - the Raiders and Steelers are very player friendly. The Patriots are all about the team and the Belichick way and being disciplined. Brown failed to work in both environments in messy and very public ways.

Given a choice between the two, I'd take Gordon in a heartbeat.

Yes Gordon.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I will take both.

Gordon has a tendency not to finish the season but can get you wins that increase your playoff seeding.

AB is going to be out for 8 games, so after a few games to shake off rust - can be a HUGE weapon in the playoffs. He doesn't have to be a good person, or even sane - he just has to help the team win. Which he will do given the chance to play in a playoff game.

Rat

Reaction score
Gordon is easier to root for, but AB is the better player and it isn’t really close.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
My view on this topic comes with predetermined bias.
Both have baggage, but IMO that baggage is incomparable due to LEVEL of transgression/s.
I see Gordon as a low risk/potantially high reward prospect, Brown as a potentially high reward/very high risk prospect.
I would avoid Brown and welcome Gordon with enthusiastic elbow bump. :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
toffee":2ckxkn4i said:
Based purely on their past performance, can someone highlight how these two WRs compare? Somehow I think AB was a bigger star, but who is better and why?

For star notoriety, yes, AB. However, just LOOK at what Gordon was able to do with absolute trash QBs in Cleveland. OBJ hasn't been able to even come close to Gordon's production and with a better QB in Cleveland, to boot.

Gordon's a special talent.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":wlcg6nx0 said:
toffee":wlcg6nx0 said:

For star notoriety, yes, AB. However, just LOOK at what Gordon was able to do with absolute trash QBs in Cleveland. OBJ hasn't been able to even come close to Gordon's production and with a better QB in Cleveland, to boot.

Gordon's a special talent.

The most important thing is Gordon understands he is a contributor and not a star, AB wants to be a star and feel without being a focus point the team is failing. Not unlike Percy Harvin in some way. yes he is an exceptional talent, but one of a group of players that make up a team.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I got blasted for saying that Gordon has a pretty high ceiling if he stays clean. Meaning a high ceiling of flat out consistency, contributing and rarely dropping passes. He has a ton of talent, period. He would come cheap, he's a solid player and loves playing here. Hoping he will be back, and as long as GODdell doesn't suspend him for too long the Hawks will add him imo. He makes the team better, and is clearly a team guy. You're not gonna' see him whining on the sidelines like so many diva WR's. Brown would be back to his old self w/in a few games imo. Gordon makes the team better, and clearly buys in to something Brown does not: TEAM. Watch the replay of the win at Santa Clara last season. Those 3rd down conversions were $, Russ needs a guy like that who he flat out knows will make the play. I like the look of the WR's and TE's already, add Gordon and this Offense is legit.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1svg04ll said:
I will take both.

I'm of this opinion as well.

Gordon is a solid fit. And his role could easily expand. Brown is a special talent, who should be had for a pittance due to circumstance. Seattle has plenty of depth needed to wait out a lengthy suspension. But could be a difference maker toward the end of the season and the post season push.