Re-watched the game

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":p0ndw3ax said:
Scottemojo":p0ndw3ax said:
Anyone else mystified as to why HawkNation included a screen play as a 4 man pressure? It does seem a bit hinky, and makes you wonder who really has the confirmation bias.
He also included a shallow crosser where drawing the rush in opens the throwing lane and the 2 yard deep route, several plays where the QB had 3,4,5 seconds to pass, includes stunts (which only supports the notion that stunting increased the amount of pressure) and includes the final play of the game, where Miami's WRs would have had to take probably 4 or 5 seconds just to set up whatever tricky play they want to run to get some chance to win.

I love gifs.

Honestly, no, because that isn't what confirmation bias is. Kearly clearly had a narrative he wanted to talk about before the game even started based on his posts leading up the game and immediately after. HN2016 is providing context to the discussion with visual aid rather than having people take certain posters at their word. When you start throwing around stuff like Seattle's push rush was lacking, hit or miss, they didn't get pressure with 4 rushers, etc, and we have distinct visual evidence of the opposite, it isn't "hinky" if maybe he maybe miss reads a play or two. "Hinky" would be trying to push a narrative that isn't there, or defend someone doing so. These things aren't hard absolutes, and some people try to make them that way, because they don't take their emotional perspective out of it. Having unemotional visual evidence is MUCH better than relying on a biased recap of the game, so we can all make our own observations.

Scotte pointed out how over half HN's evidence was flawed, not "a play or two". That's a very...unemotional thing to point out.

It's all in how you say things. Calling "confirmation bias" before one even gets to the evidence is bound to turn people off and make the post look like a passive-aggressive assault. It's just not necessary.

A

Anonymous

The season is here and the players have re-assembled. Some we haven't seen or heard from in a long while. How about we begin to enjoy it?

It is cool that we have a group that can contribute these more-in-depth items such as this, and quite frankly, that is why we are all here. If we can all agree that none of us are all 100% correct all the time, or that we may miss things on occasion, then we can begin to make coming here worth the effort. We can all hedge for position in the hierarchy of things or we can ease into it with a measure of tact and respect.

I'll start by mentioning that I have control of my rampant grammar-correction problem. I don't think I've edited a first-sentence capital in a few hours now.

Go Hawks!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Funny, kip says his second viewing changed his opinions of the game, gets called confirmation bias anyway.

Posters, get over being right or wrong, and just discuss. No need to impugn anyone, just discuss. The ill will they have for him is plain to me, and I don't get it. If you don't like him, avoid his threads. Start your own about why you think our 4 man rush is legit. Post GIFS to your hearts content.

I love gifs, but used irresponsibly they undermine, not support ideas. Anyone remember all the GIFS HawkBlogger used to try and argue Flynn should start? Even on this board, last year somebody posted GIF after GIF of Nowak making plays to support how good they thought he was, when the overall body of work said the opposite.

Anyone remember who that was?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
From Houston: "'ll start by mentioning that I have control of my rampant grammar-correction problem. I don't think I've edited a first-sentence capital in a few hours now. "

I admit, this is something I'm still learning how to do, Houston, since this is a written communication medium. I appreciate being corrected myself, as I have been in this thread (before some posts were deleted); thanks for pointing out my error! It is my hope to continue becoming better educated in communicating here, and I don't mind being wrong or admitting it.

As far as football, I come here to be better educated about the Hawks and the intricacies of the game. love Kearly's analysis, and hope it continues the "Random Thoughts" vibe. Yet without counterpoint, this would be merely a blog. Please keep differing view coming. It takes nothing from any of you by way of knowledge, logic, or reputation.

Largent80

Reaction score
There is a difference between discussing and degrading a thread into a you are wrong fiasco. Which seems to happen quite a bit, especially with a few posters here. They can't wait to jump in and try to prop themselves up with words, which is one of the reasons Kip quit writing his thread a few years ago.

byau

Reaction score
dogorama":3vld9vqs said:
I haven't watched the replay yet and hopefully I'll feel the same way but when I hear "take out the drops, penalties, muffed plays etc. and we weren't really that bad" I am thinking yeah, take those out of any NFL team's game and we have 32 teams that are 16-0. Those things are part of the game and a direct reflection of how good or not you are.

Wow when you put it that way... yeah I can see the absurdity in at least what I wrote :)

To clarify: I have expectations of the different facets of the game. If things perform above that expectation I'm good. If it's at that expectation, it depends on the eye test. If below, it concerns me

Things that performed below my expectation

Earl Thomas' totally whiffing on plays
Lockett dropping those passes
Russell Wilson being ineffective (yes due to injury, still, not what I expected)
Seahawks D letting a last minute touchdown in the 4th quarter

And that's why I listed those as my concerns.

Earl: I am more on the side that there is nothing to worry about. I'm in wait and see, and I do expect he'll bounce back

Lockett: same assessment as for Earl

Seahawks D: a bit troublesome since this happened a lot last year. However, this goes also hand in hand with me really enjoying seeing Shead and Lane play really well (for the most part) and I think they will get in a real rhythm soon. This also goes hand-in-hand with Kam looking like his old self and Sherman continuing to get even better

Russell: a bit troublesome, goes witout saying

The rest of the game, especially the o-line and the running game, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought they would be a lot worse than they were, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
byau":pbpky6is said:
The rest of the game, especially the o-line and the running game, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought they would be a lot worse than they were, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Really?

I thought the O-line would play better than they did AND our ground game would be far more effective than it was. Neither unit got it going.

And again with the O-line penalties, frustrating and hard to get things going when every other series it's 1st and 15 or 2nd and 20.

dogorama

Reaction score
byau":2oevwcjc said:
dogorama":2oevwcjc said:
I haven't watched the replay yet and hopefully I'll feel the same way but when I hear "take out the drops, penalties, muffed plays etc. and we weren't really that bad" I am thinking yeah, take those out of any NFL team's game and we have 32 teams that are 16-0. Those things are part of the game and a direct reflection of how good or not you are.

Wow when you put it that way... yeah I can see the absurdity in at least what I wrote :)

To clarify: I have expectations of the different facets of the game. If things perform above that expectation I'm good. If it's at that expectation, it depends on the eye test. If below, it concerns me

Russell Wilson being ineffective (yes due to injury, still, not what I expected)

Earl: I am more on the side that there is nothing to worry about. I'm in wait and see, and I do expect he'll bounce back

Seahawks D: a bit troublesome since this happened a lot last year. However, this goes also hand in hand with me really enjoying seeing Shead and Lane play really well (for the most part) and I think they will get in a real rhythm soon. This also goes hand-in-hand with Kam looking like his old self and Sherman continuing to get even better

Certainly wasn't responding to what you wrote byau, it was just a general observation I was making to what I felt was a common theme. If that would have turned out to be a loss I can assure you that this board would not be taking positives from that game. LOL.

I'm sure the team and the coaching staff will take a lot from this game and we'll see a much better offense next week.

byau

Reaction score
dogorama":23duwrjk said:
byau":23duwrjk said:
dogorama":23duwrjk said:

Certainly wasn't responding to what you wrote byau, it was just a general observation I was making to what I felt was a common theme. If that would have turned out to be a loss I can assure you that this board would not be taking positives from that game. LOL.

I'm sure the team and the coaching staff will take a lot from this game and we'll see a much better offense next week.

Thanks :D But whether you were or weren't responding directly, I thought it applied and made me re-think my response of why I thought what thought. And yeah, had to do with my expectations going in. I was mostly worried about the O-line, especially minus Ifedi. And with that the run-game, I thought both did better than I expected

By the way, love your avatar. Stoked about Easley and his nomination

Speaking of Easley, that reminds me, to go along with my thoughts above about performing below or above expectation:

For most of the game, I performed below expectation in my choice of jersey. I wore my Wilson jersey most of the game and dangit we couldn't score and Wilson got himself an ankle injury. Late in the 4th I switched to my Easley jersey (go defense!) and of course the Dolphins score (Agghh jinx?).

But as it's not how you start, it's how you finish: I switched back to my Wilson jersey..and he marches us down and scores! I then switched back to my Easley jersey... and we got that stop!

Thought I'd share

#SportsJinxItsReal

dogorama

Reaction score
byau":2lttulss said:
dogorama":2lttulss said:
byau":2lttulss said:
dogorama":2lttulss said:

Thanks :D But whether you were or weren't responding directly, I thought it applied and made me re-think my response of why I thought what thought. And yeah, had to do with my expectations going in. I was mostly worried about the O-line, especially minus Ifedi. And with that the run-game, I thought both did better than I expected

By the way, love your avatar. Stoked about Easley and his nomination

Speaking of Easley, that reminds me, to go along with my thoughts above about performing below or above expectation:

For most of the game, I performed below expectation in my choice of jersey. I wore my Wilson jersey most of the game and dangit we couldn't score and Wilson got himself an ankle injury. Late in the 4th I switched to my Easley jersey (go defense!) and of course the Dolphins score (Agghh jinx?).

But as it's not how you start, it's how you finish: I switched back to my Wilson jersey..and he marches us down and scores! I then switched back to my Easley jersey... and we got that stop!

Thought I'd share

#SportsJinxItsReal

This just proves one thing byau.

You need more jerseys!

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
dogorama":282g66sg said:
byau":282g66sg said:
dogorama":282g66sg said:

Might of been to what I wrote, or several others here.

I like to see a lot of positives out of the game, even though it looked like a horrible game until the end.

Games are not perfect and I think we all understand that, and we would all be mad if they had lost.

On a team that's so talented like ours, it seemed odd that Lockett had two drops that he usually makes. Earl whiffing on plays that he usually makes. Wilson throwing into triple coverage, etc etc. Those things will fixed themselves out. Besides all that we won the game with a rejuvenating D-line that we haven't seen since the 2013 Superbowl. I think once Ifedi gets back to his spot, that run game will open up. Also you have to give credit to the Dolphin's Dline as well.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3nfmvgkl said:
Funny, kip says his second viewing changed his opinions of the game, gets called confirmation bias anyway.

Posters, get over being right or wrong, and just discuss. No need to impugn anyone, just discuss. The ill will they have for him is plain to me, and I don't get it. If you don't like him, avoid his threads. Start your own about why you think our 4 man rush is legit. Post GIFS to your hearts content.

I love gifs, but used irresponsibly they undermine, not support ideas. Anyone remember all the GIFS HawkBlogger used to try and argue Flynn should start? Even on this board, last year somebody posted GIF after GIF of Nowak making plays to support how good they thought he was, when the overall body of work said the opposite.

Not me.

Atradees

Reaction score
Thanks Kearly. Im so much smarter from these sort of reviews.

My impression was that the offense was better this year beginning than last year. I liked the opening series had a bunch of throws. That simple. We weren't gonna run all timid like against Suh and Fins tough line. Looked like simple game planning for an opponent.

Our dline created alot of pressure. The D overall was real good. Liked the stunting. Good to see Reed work his magic.

I knew it was gonna be close. Was surprised by some of the offenses affectiveness,,,,,something that can be tuned in as we go.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks Kearly that was an excellent assessment. I enjoy reading your reasoned views of the game upon further review.

I was initially quite negative about a lot of what I saw on O until rewatching the game and being able to look again at some plays. The D played very well with a few notable exceptions as you have pointed out.

The O does have work to do but got it done when they had to get it done. The left interior of the OLine needs to get a better push in the running game, but their pass pro improved as the game went on. All in all against that particular DLine they got better with adjustmeants as the game progressed and I'm encouraged that they won't be awful. There were a few unfortunate drops that took away momentum. Penalties were not the team's friend. Miami is a much better team than earlier advertised and the Hawks D owned them except as noted.

I suspect at time you must get chaffed at some of the criticism, there seems to be an obsessive compulsion of a few here to be right or have their views manifested as superior, basically all of us are allowed to have their opinions here. We all need to remember we are all supposed to be friends here, and should be able to discuss and even disagree w/o it becoming personal.

byau

Reaction score
dogorama":1jc4ioig said:
byau":1jc4ioig said:

Thought I'd share

#SportsJinxItsReal

This just proves one thing byau.

You need more jerseys!

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!! In fact I just made a pickup this morning that will fix everything ..it's a blank vintage jersey size large for less than $50. That should cover both O and D!

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't care who's right and who's wrong.

But I'd still like to know how a half back screen is considered pressure. The OL is intentionally letting guys get behind them.

I'd also like ot know if it officially qualifies as a pressure, as in NFL official statistic.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Scottemojo":kzs142zn said:

I think it was Tom Cable.... :D

Seriously, I'm glad to see you and Kearly back. I enjoy those posts as I'm not a football genius as some of you are. Really its a great point of view. It makes .NET The place to be. I just go off of what I see and more often I'm wrong but good to see perspective and learn from those who study the game more than me (Pretty much everyone on here).

Keep up the awesome job Kearly, Scotte, and all!

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Kearly you the man. Thanks for the incredible post as always. One of the reasons I come here everyday to read posts like yours and realize how little I actually know.

Anyway, I lived in KC but got moved to Miami where we live now. After the game I had to run to Publix to get some cold medicine and was wearing my Lynch Jersey and all my Hawks gear. Almost every person in the store commented on the game, and we're cool about it. More than a few said, "I think we were a turned ankle away from getting destroyed." Needless to say Phin fans remind me the way I used to be about the Hawks, pessimistic, naturally. That said they felt a lot better about our team's performance than I did after watching the game, so I am glad to hear the experts like you guys are feeling better too after rewatching it. Esp with the dreaded Rams away game coming up even if the Whiners rolled them.

Seahawks.net rules!

Go Hawks!!