Rapoport: Wilson's agent likely to end contract talks soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

rideaducati

Reaction score
AgentDib":2ecprpst said:
kearly":2ecprpst said:
and on the flip side Wilson's agent realizes that Seattle has basically zero leverage and is exploiting that to the max effect
Many are overreacting to Wilson's insurance policy but that sort of coverage is extremely expensive. The report from Shefter is that it is worth "millions" and it makes a lot of sense for Wilson to put away a hefty premium to ensure that he is set for life in the case of an injury. That's still a tiny fraction of the $50m+ in guaranteed money he may be looking at with a new deal and there is a huge amount of leverage there if everybody is considering time value of money and risk rationally.

That tiny fraction of an insurance policy added to the interest/investment income from a signing bonus TODAY probably amounts to more than Russell will make up for on the other side by not signing before this season.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":83p3vaf6 said:
Unless of course JS doesn't value RW in the way we think he should or might.

Wouldn't surprise me to find out that the FO has a line in the sand that they aren't willing to cross...now or ever.

Debating the intelligence of such a stance is worthy, but the FO beats to their own drum, they value defense and running games, they have A LOT of superstars on the roster....and RW has some question marks, valid ones.

Maybe RW has leverage in most cases....but here? I don't know.

JS was beside himself with exuberant anticipation about getting "RW" in the Draft, and Pete Carroll designating him as the starter over Flynn & Jackson in his Rookie outing, + the culminating results of all three Seasons with him at the helm, and you honestly believe that JS doesn't see his value?

This "Running Game" is most effective BECAUSE of the numbers that Russell Wilson has helped to add to it, it is NOT all Marshawn Lynch's doing.

The Seahawks Defense is the absolute best, bar none, with no arguments, but, they are not of and by themselves, the only reason for the culminated success.

A lot of the blame for the loss in Super Bowl 49, was laid on RW, but, most people seem to have amnesia when it comes to the Patriots coming back from a 10 point deficit (against the Seahawks vaunted Defense) to secure the win.

As I see it, there are too many here, that want to downplay Russell Wilson's value, to fit their end of the argument, and even going so far as trying to crystal ball what JS & Co. think of him, to hedge their beliefs on the matter.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1670ifaq said:
Hawkpower":1670ifaq said:

Wouldn't surprise me to find out that the FO has a line in the sand that they aren't willing to cross...now or ever.

Debating the intelligence of such a stance is worthy, but the FO beats to their own drum, they value defense and running games, they have A LOT of superstars on the roster....and RW has some question marks, valid ones.

JS was beside himself with exuberant anticipation about getting "RW" in the Draft, and Pete Carroll designating him as the starter over Flynn & Jackson in his Rookie outing, + the culminating results of all three Seasons with him at the helm, and you honestly believe that JS doesn't see his value?

This "Running Game" is most effective BECAUSE of the numbers that Russell Wilson has helped to add to it, it is NOT all Marshawn Lynch's doing.

The Seahawks Defense is the absolute best, bar none, with no arguments, but, they are not of and by themselves, the only reason for the culminated success.

A lot of the blame for the loss in Super Bowl 49, was laid on RW, but, most people seem to have amnesia when it comes to the Patriots coming back from a 10 point deficit (against the Seahawks vaunted Defense) to secure the win.

As I see it, there are too many here, that want to downplay Russell Wilson's value, to fit their end of the argument, and even going so far as trying to crystal ball what JS & Co. think of him, to hedge their beliefs on the matter.

Wilson is a Top 5 QB and he played a critical role in our success over the last three years. He is the perfect QB for our offensive system and team philosophy, and our system and team philosophy are perfect for Wilson.

I can assure you that Carroll and Schneider value Wilson very highly, as they have said as much, but that doesn't mean they should be sacrificing our ability to win championship by caving to unreasonable demands that will hurt the team.

seahawks08

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1me3hsxm said:
Hawkpower":1me3hsxm said:

If you look from an another angle, the defense kept the team in play for the NFC championship game. If you look at the totality of all games played over Petes tenure as a the coach, the defense was a bigger element on taking the ball over and giving it to the offense. There were so many 3 and outs and Bevell hating in the not too distant future. The defense wins championships, if the team was built in the philosophy of an high octane offense, I would readily agree with the thought process. If we don't have a stellar defense, Russel would be sitting on the sidelines instead of being on the field IMHO.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Another interesting part of this is Russell is getting paid 1.5 mil this year whether he signs a new contract or not. The only thing he gains by signing something now is a signing bonus and the guaranteed money. Something that if he doesn't get injured he's going to get if he signs later, say next year, anyways. I don't see any real pressure on Wilson to sign now. Especially with his belief in himself and Gods plan for him.

Other than injury and one years worth of interest on the signing bonus, how does Russell signing next year hurt the earning potential of his career?

SC

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
StoneCold":2gvo7eh5 said:
Another interesting part of this is Russell is getting paid 1.5 mil this year whether he signs a new contract or not. The only thing he gains by signing something now is a signing bonus and the guaranteed money. Something that if he doesn't get injured he's going to get if he signs later, say next year, anyways. I don't see any real pressure on Wilson to sign now. Especially with his belief in himself and Gods plan for him.

Other than injury and one years worth of interest on the signing bonus, how does Russell signing next year hurt the earning potential of his career?

SC

If he doesn't sign this year, that will create a lot of uncertainty and additional pressure on him and the team.

But again, that would require this 26 year old to recognize that there is more to this extension than the bottom line. He can help his own chances to continue winning Super Bowls and accruing endorsement money by signing the biggest deal in NFL history, ASAP, while giving his team enough cap flexibility to remain competitive.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
no doubt if this does not get do e it will be a never ending distraction all season...will get tired of listening to the talk about just like im sick of all the god talk from wilson...

Hawkpower

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1qf09wy0 said:
Hawkpower":1qf09wy0 said:

Nowhere in my post did I claim that JS DIDNT value Wilson.

I said that perhaps he doesn't necessarily value him the way some think he should.....as in record breaking NFL contract worthy value.

I am quite sure that our FO thinks very highly of Russ, why wouldn't they? But at the end of the day their priority is putting together a long term success here, and its possible that they feel at a certain point, it is no longer in the teams best interest to pay the QB X amount of dollars.

As to your last point, I think being honest about Wilson is imperative, especially when he is reportedly asking to be paid as the best player in the NFL. That opens one up to scrutiny.....comes with the territory. Cant ask to be recognized as the best player in the NFL and then complain when some critique his game.

You bring up the Superbowl.....I bring up the NFC championship game. THAT was atrocious, and if not for a superhuman effort by our defense at times we are having a much different discussion right now.

BlueOne

Reaction score
To me, there is no doubt in my mind that Wilson is making a foolish decision to go into this year without a new contract. (assuming the report of him being offered a 4 year extension at roughly 22 million a year, with a reasonable amount of guarantees etc. is correct. )

Wilson loses a number of things.

1. The ability to invest/gain interest on any signing bonus for 12+ months. Don't kid yourself, this alone is worth millions of dollars.

2. He risks injury and while we don't know the exact extent of his insurance policy, it's certainly not for as much as his 25 million plus guaranteed dollars.

3. He loses whatever the substantial insurance policy premium he's having to pay is.

4. We won't know how much until this ordeal is over, but he's losing substantial amounts of faith/goodwill of fans and having his golden boy image tarnished.

5. His change in image will directly affect his ability to make off the field money through endorsements etc. Sure, if the Seahawks continue to win, he will get some endorsements, but the less people like him, the fewer he will get.

6. You want to know how Wilson goes from Seattle's only winning Superbowl QB to Arod status in 3 years? If Wilson fights to become the highest paid player in the league, Lynch leaves/gets hurts during or after the next season, and the Seahawks start winning 7-10 games a season because of a poor offense. Or maybe Wilson dings a knee and becomes merely average without the his great mobility and the offense is poor. OR ANYTHING that makes the Seahawks play poorly, will be blamed squarely on Wilson whose job is going to be to carry this team and who will garner no sympathy for any excuse if he bends the Hawks over for every penny possible.

7. If everyone is healthy, nobody thinks Wilson is likely to regress. I certainly don't, I love Wilson as a QB. But any rational person has to admit it's possible. If the Hawks go 10-6 this year, and Wilson's numbers stay static, and the Hawks don't get past the first round of the playoffs, Wilson's value has gone down significantly imo. God forbid he and the Hawks do even worse than 10-6. A lot of his value right now is based on the assumption that he's a talent on the ascension, and again I agree he likely is. But any rational person has to acknowledge the possibility he either doesn't improve or regresses, even if that's only like 20-30%. Probably a conservative estimate when taking account the possible that he just stays at his currently level. It's quite possible Wilson is what he was this last season, a very good QB, but not one who will continue to improve on his passing, and one who will struggle whenever his legs slow down.

Compare this to what Wilson gains even if he becomes the highest paid player in the league getting a new contract after this season. (The best case scenario for Wilson).

1. Let's assume Wilson's dream comes true. He's great this season, the Hawks win another Superbowl and he demands the world. What's the world? At best, 27-28 million dollars a year? So in an ideal world he's making 4-6 million a year more over four years. That's it. That is the only upside I see. And going back to the Superbowl and having his best statistical season ever is the only way to possibly push his value any higher as it is already sky high. This is especially risky because he can't even control how well the Seahawks do as a team given 31 other teams trying to make the Hawks fail, and his need to rely on 60 other players/coaches for team success.

So that's his gamble, enough money guaranteed to live richly for three generations with no additional income, and no doubt much more money if he stays healthy gets the majority of his contract/endorsements. Seahawks fan love for life and saving a good chunk of his golden boy image nationally. He could have that today.

OR

He can shoot for the moon and potentially get 110 million over four years instead of 88, while risking ending up with only whatever his insurance policy is for. Risking his endorsements, his good will with the fans, his national reputation. And again, he only gets his additional money if the Seahawks have another dynasty type season and he is a big part of it. Possible? Certainly. But nowhere near a guarantee.

rideaducati

Reaction score
seahawks08":1knjv5gj said:
scutterhawk":1knjv5gj said:
Hawkpower":1knjv5gj said:

If you look from an another angle, the defense kept the team in play for the NFC championship game. If you look at the totality of all games played over Petes tenure as a the coach, the defense was a bigger element on taking the ball over and giving it to the offense. There were so many 3 and outs and Bevell hating in the not too distant future. The defense wins championships, if the team was built in the philosophy of an high octane offense, I would readily agree with the thought process. If we don't have a stellar defense, Russel would be sitting on the sidelines instead of being on the field IMHO.

Tarvaris Jackson did so well with the ninth ranked defense. I want more of that. :sarcasm_off:

As far as defense vs. offense and winning championships, very few teams have won one without a top 5 unit on one side of the ball or the other. The worse the QB happens to be, the better defense needed to win a championship. I don't see a lot of bad QBs winning championships, but there are a lot of good defenses that have bad QBs NOT winning championships. Once in the Super Bowl, the better QB wins the majority of the time.

Anyone see a bad Super Bowl winning QB? Look up the opposing QB and tell me where the mismatch was.

Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman
Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman
Super Bowl 29. Steve Young
Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman
Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre
Super Bowl 32. John Elway
Super Bowl 33. John Elway
Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner
Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson

Tical21

Reaction score
StoneCold":18jtth0z said:
Tical21":18jtth0z said:
StoneCold":18jtth0z said:
Rodgers is getting 22mil per year on average. If Russell signed for 22.5 mil a year would you be disappointed or elated?

SC
If he was going to sign for 22 APY he would have been signed already.

It was your comment that he's not worth AR money that prompted my question. 22.5 would make him higher paid than AR. Would you be happy with that?

HN2015, what number per year would a 13% cap hit represent?

SC
We're kind of arguing two different things here. First, what I would pay and think he is worth, which is completely irrelevant. Second, what the market dictates he is worth. Which is also completely irrelevant. If he was willing to take a market rate deal, this would be done. But instead, it seems any QB being deemed to be one of the top 12 QB's in the league or so, has convinced themselves that they are irreplaceable, and therefore can demand to become one of the highest paid players in the game, and the team has zero chance but to bend over.

I wouldn't be happy with 22 APY, I know the team wouldn't be happy with 22 APY. But they have no choice. Until teams starting say no, and turning these guys away, he's going to get whatever he wants.

I would LOVE for this team to be the team that ends the madness. There is no team in the past 15 years better equipped to do things a different way. If we bring in a league average QB onto this roster, we're still one of the highest favorites to win the Super Bowl.

If we sign Russell Wilson to a huge, highest paid ever extension, leading us to cut a handful of players, I think we aren't quite as much of a favorite.

Let's do it. Let's teach these guys that they are not bigger than the franchise. Some of them are. Some teams are desperate, do not have good rosters, and would fall to the bottom of the ocean without their QB. See Brees. See Romo. See Colts. That's not us, folks. Pete and John have put us in a position to succeed. This is not that team, and Russell is not that player. He's just not. You want to hold our franchise hostage and make us pay the 10th best quarterback the most money in the NFL? Enjoy Christmas in Cleveland my friend.

Tical21

Reaction score
rideaducati":bl5kaj0r said:
seahawks08":bl5kaj0r said:
scutterhawk":bl5kaj0r said:
Hawkpower":bl5kaj0r said:

Tarvaris Jackson did so well with the ninth ranked defense. I want more of that. :sarcasm_off:

As far as defense vs. offense and winning championships, very few teams have won one without a top 5 unit on one side of the ball or the other. The worse the QB happens to be, the better defense needed to win a championship. I don't see a lot of bad QBs winning championships, but there are a lot of good defenses that have bad QBs NOT winning championships. Once in the Super Bowl, the better QB wins the majority of the time.

Anyone see a bad Super Bowl winning QB? Look up the opposing QB and tell me where the mismatch was.

Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady
You also don't see very many QB's in that group making top-5 money.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
rideaducati":26d2xws7 said:
seahawks08":26d2xws7 said:
scutterhawk":26d2xws7 said:
Hawkpower":26d2xws7 said:

Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady

This post is fine if we are debating Russell Wilson OR having a terrible QB.

I haven't seen that proposal being brought to the table yet, forgive me if I am wrong.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Tical21":1bkze9r4 said:
StoneCold":1bkze9r4 said:
Tical21":1bkze9r4 said:
StoneCold":1bkze9r4 said:
Rodgers is getting 22mil per year on average. If Russell signed for 22.5 mil a year would you be disappointed or elated?

SC
If he was going to sign for 22 APY he would have been signed already.

It was your comment that he's not worth AR money that prompted my question. 22.5 would make him higher paid than AR. Would you be happy with that?

HN2015, what number per year would a 13% cap hit represent?

SC
I wouldn't be happy with 22 APY, I know the team wouldn't be happy with 22 APY. But they have no choice. Until teams starting say no, and turning these guys away, he's going to get whatever he wants.

Let's do it. Let's teach these guys that they are not bigger than the franchise.

So, if you were the GM, you wouldn't offer him 22 apy and you wouldn't franchise him next year at 22 to 23 mil? You'd just let him go?

Yowza.

SC

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":j06uxakx said:

Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady

Trent Dilfer is about as pedestrian as it gets. Brad Johnson, Eli Manning, and Joe Flacco would all be considered extremely mediocre if they did not have Super Bowls on their resume.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Letting Russ go sets this team back several years, but paying Russ an unprecedented cap-crippling salary probably does the same thing. If we operate at the extremes, it's no-win for Seattle.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":z3k2kybi said:
I seriously doubt Wilson or his agent care about getting a fully guaranteed deal. Elite QBs always get their money.

I have no idea what is going on, but my best guess is that the FO is lowballing Wilson with Newton type offers, and on the flip side Wilson's agent realizes that Seattle has basically zero leverage and is exploiting that to the max effect. Wilson's agent is going to win, it's inevitable. The sooner the Hawks FO realizes this, the less painful it will be for their bottom line. Giving Rodgers what he wants today is going to cost less than giving him what he wants a year from now.

Unfortunately, I think JS has dug his heels in here and will end up learning a tough lesson.
Could not agree more Kip. Here's hoping JS is just waiting til just before camp in hopes of saving a bit of coin rather than having dug his heels in.

Tical21

Reaction score
StoneCold":2mljbu28 said:
So, if you were the GM, you wouldn't offer him 22 apy and you wouldn't franchise him next year at 22 to 23 mil? You'd just let him go?

Yowza.

SC
The million dollar question........

Do you believe Russell Wilson can author Super Bowl victories with a less than elite supporting cast around him, particularly on defense?

Knowing what I know about his game, I would personally bet against it.

Therefore, we are left with no choice but to find another way to win those championships in my opinion.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":11g4mh54 said:
StoneCold":11g4mh54 said:

Yowza.

SC
The million dollar question........

Do you believe Russell Wilson can author Super Bowl victories with a less than elite supporting cast around him, particularly on defense?

Knowing what I know about his game, I would personally bet against it.

Therefore, we are left with no choice but to find another way to win those championships in my opinion.

That's not a criticism of Russell . . . no QB can lead their team to a Super Bowl consistently without great coaching and a great supporting cast. The best QB in the league hasn't been to a Super Bowl in four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts