Rapoport: Wilson's agent likely to end contract talks soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kearly":usn5jzp0 said:
I seriously doubt Wilson or his agent care about getting a fully guaranteed deal. Elite QBs always get their money.

I have no idea what is going on, but my best guess is that the FO is lowballing Wilson with Newton type offers, and on the flip side Wilson's agent realizes that Seattle has basically zero leverage and is exploiting that to the max effect. Wilson's agent is going to win, it's inevitable. The sooner the Hawks FO realizes this, the less painful it will be for their bottom line. Giving Rodgers what he wants today is going to cost less than giving him what he wants a year from now.

Unfortunately, I think JS has dug his heels in here and will end up learning a tough lesson.

I think you have it bass ackwards in the leverage category. Russell can do absolutely nothing for at least another two years. Maybe after two years Russell will have leverage, but until then all the leverage belongs to the Seahawks. Russell is actually putting his own future in jeopardy by playing without a long term deal if he doesn't sign.

I highly doubt the Seahawks have "low-balled" Russell. There have been reports that would have him as the third highest paid QB in the NFL and I doubt those reports are very far off. If the Seahawks have done that, they are within one million per year of Russell being the highest paid QB in the NFL and I don't for a second believe that the Seahawk front office would balk at that little amount. I think it's Russell's agent pushing for millions above Aaron Rodgers per year salary.

I think Russell's camp is just huffing and puffing while there is no pressure on either side and he will sign before the season starts because it makes the most sense.

AVL

Reaction score
Once again, no one tags quarterbacks. Quit pretending it happens. Who can plan a season around the offensive leader of the team with a player that can sign the contract at the last minute without penalty?

If a quarterback doesn't want to be tagged, it ain't gonna happen.

rideaducati

Reaction score
AVL":3uoebv68 said:
Once again, no one tags quarterbacks. Quit pretending it happens. Who can plan a season around the offensive leader of the team with a player that can sign the contract at the last minute without penalty?

Brees was tagged, but signed before the deadline.

AVL

Reaction score
rideaducati":st0o0g6z said:
AVL":st0o0g6z said:

As I said, it ain't gonna happen, and it didn't happen then. I was referring to actually playing under the tag, not waving it around as a threat.

Brees held out.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I am so sick of these kind of threads here. Ian Rappaport is a speculative reporter that doesn't know jack.
What happened to proper journalism? It doesn't exist anymore folks. Don't believe the crap you read on social media. Wait for 'official' news...

SICK AND TIRED of the crap news I read on this board. Seriously.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
hawknation2015":z30hcf2n said:
Bigbadhawk":z30hcf2n said:
Marlin Man":z30hcf2n said:
SERIOUSLY, I say screw 'em and let him play for peanuts again this year, put the tag on him net year then let him go for two 1st round picks, he isn't worth the money they are asking

hoppe he gets past this season without serious injury LOL

M.M.

Sick of it

Please enlighten us on how much money they are truly asking for since no one has actually provided the numbers to this point. I would LOVE a link but sadly I doubt you have one.

He doesn't . . . anymore than Kearly has any facts to indicate that his "best guess is that the FO is lowballing Wilson with Newton type offers, and on the flip side Wilson's agent realizes that Seattle has basically zero leverage and is exploiting that to the max effect." .
There is a substantial difference between "...best guess is" and ...he isn't worth the money they are asking.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":2zj59uj2 said:
AVL":2zj59uj2 said:

True. Brees has no right to complain about losing players, given the ridiculous structure to the deal he signed. Loomis is more so to blame, but Brees was complicit in it. That contract is Exhibit A for why franchise QBs should look out for the interests of their team when signing extensions or else grin and bear the aftermath. A Top 3 QB and HC with no chance to sniff a Super Bowl in the foreseeable future.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":iiss1sw8 said:
I am so sick of these kind of threads here. Ian Rappaport is a speculative reporter that doesn't know jack.
What happened to proper journalism? It doesn't exist anymore folks. Don't believe the crap you read on social media. Wait for 'official' news...

This one is official and is from Florio from December. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -bus-cook/

The logic behind the above news and end game appear completely unknown at this point, but the above article has long since been fact and questions surrounding it remain.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
ctrcat":9leevguf said:
Seahwkgal":9leevguf said:

This one is official and is from Florio from December. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -bus-cook/

The logic behind the above news and end game appear completely unknown at this point, but the above article has long since been fact and questions surrounding it remain.
The only thing factual from that article is that Wilson changed agents.
The speculation that has ensued is the garbage that is consuming this site.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1rkamd6j said:
ctrcat":1rkamd6j said:
Seahwkgal":1rkamd6j said:

The only thing factual from that article is that Wilson changed agents.
The speculation that has ensued is the garbage that is consuming this site.

That's really nothing new though. Go around to the major sports outlets and see what there "official" journalists are writing about Wilson. It's all speculation, because that's what everyone has. There have been a few tidbits here and there, but not much else.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks have all the leverage here they can franchise him next year and pay him 1,5 this year and that's exactly what they will do and should do if Wilson sticks to his 25 million a year stance with more guaranteed money than any player in history. He's not going to win that battle not this year anyway he's under contract. That article is pure speculation nothing concrete in there at all. I wish people would refrain from posting these kinds of articles that have no substance in them from the Hawks or Wilson's camp in short this isn't news is just fluff.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":23wo2p2g said:
The Seahawks have all the leverage here they can franchise him next year and pay him 1,5 this year and that's exactly what they will do and should do if Wilson sticks to his 25 million a year stance with more guaranteed money than any player in history. He's not going to win that battle not this year anyway he's under contract. That article is pure speculation nothing concrete in there at all. I wish people would refrain from posting these kinds of articles that have no substance in them from the Hawks or Wilson's camp in short this isn't news is just fluff.

And that is why I wish the Mods would make an exception this once and have a sticky Wilson topic that people can just add the speculation info into instead of having a new topic each time Florio, Rapaport, Blount, etc open their mouths.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":2pfwieku said:
Northwest Seahawk":2pfwieku said:

And that is why I wish the Mods would make an exception this once and have a sticky Wilson topic that people can just add the speculation info into instead of having a new topic each time Florio, Rapaport, Blount, etc open their mouths.

It is easier to lock new threads then get someone that wants to feel important by making a new thread. They will do it anyway. So we make due with the intelligence we have. Be happy we have someting to talk about once in a while. Some of them would never add to the old post if they thought it would get missed. Be happy again. See you in the chat soon.

MEOW.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2v5c4u1v said:
Bigbadhawk":2v5c4u1v said:
Northwest Seahawk":2v5c4u1v said:

It is easier to lock new threads then get someone that wants to feel important by making a new thread. They will do it anyway. So we make due with the intelligence we have. Be happy we have someting to talk about once in a while. Some of them would never add to the old post if they thought it would get missed. Be happy again. See you in the chat soon.

MEOW.

Yeah, thank god the season is about to start so I can hang out with the IRC folks, this off season is testing my patience and attitude of which I am slowly losing both battles heheh

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I am right there with you. Thank someone that I had worse go on this year.....ugh.

chris98251

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe they have low balled him, they paid Sherman, they paid Kam, they paid Thomas, they paid Baldwin, all at maximum contracts and or higher then people thought. Your going to tell me that the Franchise QB is going to get a low ball offer when everyone else has been paid well?

I really don't think it's money as much as structure and the Guaranteed amount.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Rocket":ov2k8ujq said:
kearly":ov2k8ujq said:
Unfortunately, I think JS has dug his heels in here and will end up learning a tough lesson.

My expert learned opinion is that Schneider has a "do not exceed" number on his "Microsoft Surface Tablet[TRADE MARK SIGN]" based on all the people he needs to sign and said "agent", who also has an Ego the size of Alaska, has a bigger number on his "I need new shoes" list.
Sigh...
But I'm not sure about the lesson part.
Remember, tho, Walter sat out a game and was revered, and Wilson has not missed a damn thing other than while attending a funeral in which he was representing the whole organization.

So lighten up all you Francises... lighten up. And don't count your agonys until they're hatched.
Well, if tablet says no, that's all she wrote.

Tical21

Reaction score
AVL":1jjhqok6 said:
rideaducati":1jjhqok6 said:
AVL":1jjhqok6 said:

As I said, it ain't gonna happen, and it didn't happen then. I was referring to actually playing under the tag, not waving it around as a threat.

Brees held out.
Except when it happened for Vick and Cassel, right?

Of all the options, I would think Wilson signing for near Rodgers money would carry the best odds, with Wilson playing a year under the tag coming in second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts