Rant Warning: Luck v. Wilson

Shock2k

Reaction score
... RANT BEGIN

I really shouldn't take vacation and spend all day watching NFL Network before a big Colts/Texans game. Because I basically spent the past 16 hours having to listen about how great Andrew Luck is. And don't get me wrong, he's a GREAT player. An obvious, barring major injury, hall of fame candidate. ( I really shouldn't post at 2:00 AM either but who cares)

But can the football world get a reality check here. Here is what I've been hearing... Andrew Luck is:
1) Number 1 in passing yards.
2) Number 1 in game winning drives
3) Number 1 in touchdown passes

Seriously though, let's see who he's played.
1) DEN - Lost (370 Yards, 2 TD, 2 INT)
2) PHI - Lost (172 Yards, 3 TD, 1 INT)
3) JAX - Won (370 Yards, 4 TD, 0 INT)
4) TEN - Won (393 Yards, 4 TD, 1 INT)
5) BAL - Won (312 Yards, 1 TD, 2 INT)

Do I even need to say it? He beat up on injured teams and barely won against Baltimore.

Oh, but the argument is he's the comeback kid. Not really, if you have followed his career, he just really stinks in the first half of games. He comes back because he can't produce until the end of games when defenses are tired. (He Averages a 72 passer rating in the 2nd quarter this year)

Now Russel has been up against:
1) Green Bay (#3 Team DVOA), San Diego (#7 Team DVOA) and Denver (#1 Team DVOA). And came out 3 and 1 (Kirk cousins is a good QB, but I can't bring that into the argument, because that team is just not good right now, but will be if RGIII stays away)

Then they say Russel just doesn't put up the numbers Luck does... ok i'm not going to through all the stats Russul beats him at (like the most TD's by a rookie (tied with Manning), and the most TD's through the first two years)... We all know this is bunk. Russel can put major points on teams, he's done it time and time again. (Remember when he went 150 and FU in a 3 game stretch season 1?)

The Seahawks do not play a game that produce high scores (Unless the defense get's majorly involved). Once we put a lead on the board we go into clock control mode through running and play action. We are only going deep when we are tied or are behind.

The script is getting flipped now. (And I'm going to enjoy seeing their sad tears when their Hero starts breaking down)
Let's see what they say after the next 5 weeks. Here are the respective schedules for Russell and Luck
Russell: DAL, STL, CAR, OAK, NYG
Luck: TEX, CIN, PIT, NYG, NE

We are both hitting the middle of our schedules and Luck is going to end up exactly like he does every year. By throwing a ton of interceptions and barely winning games. Luck could easily go through this 5 game stretch and be 1 - 4.

It irritates me to no end that this guy gets all this love and is considered above Russel Wilson (no pun intended) basically because he's taller.

Screw those who put Andrew Luck above Wilson. (I can't say screw Andrew Luck because it's not his fault. He really is a good player.)

Russell = more wins, more playoff wins, and more superbowl wins. Case closed.

Oh but wait, Russell has Marshawn Lynch, and.... just stop it. We had Lynch before Russell, where is that Superbowl, no, ok, enough with that argument. (yes, Marshawn is an absolutely critical part of our success, don't take that the wrong way)

... RANT END

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly,

It really doesn't matter.

You aren't going to change the perception of what people perceive has reality because Luck is destined to the next big thing.

Just like people here have a hard time dealing with negative results because a self entitled agenda of proclaiming outrageous expectations. Then when things to go wrong as they often can when two opposing forces are competing in a game of skill and luck, they tend to "investigate" the issues which more often than not leads to searing hatred towards player X/coach X.

Then that hatred becomes obsessive and instead of fair critique it always becomes an incessant need to highlight every single negative thing player X/coach X.

Then fans observe that BS and then it becomes a virus and all of sudden player X/coach X is always trash and sucks and poor.

Nothing good can ever come because this team is just not good enough because player X/coach X is holding us back.

The passing game isn't good enough.
The O-Line isn't good enough.
The Run D isn't good enough.
Bevell isn't good enough
Wilson isn't good enough.

Those were the narratives of of 2013 and the Seahawks won 16 games and SB.

So who cares what Wilson does compared to Luck, it'll never change, to some fans he'll never be good enough.

But is just good enough the win a Championship.

minormillikin

Reaction score
One thing is certain:
If you like either Wilson or Luck, you are required to hate the other.
:sarcasm_off:

Are we a bunch of children here? Get over the weird Andrew Luck hate.. or your weirder hate for "what the media thinks," about them. The Seahawks quarterback doesn't get enough respect? Cry about it more. What the hell does it matter? How will your life improve if each ESPN and NFL personality declares that Russell Wilson is the greatest?

Things imbeciles cannot do:
1- Like both Chevy trucks and Ford trucks
2- Like both Apples and PCs
3- Like both Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck

Grow up, and if you love our QB so much... learn to spell his name, for sh*t sake.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
minormillikin":16bb15wq said:
One thing is certain:

Are we a bunch of effing children here? Get over the weird Andrew Luck hate.. or your weirder hate for "what the media thinks," about them. The Seahawks quarterback doesn't get enough respect? Cry about it more. What the hell does it matter? How will your life improve if each ESPN and NFL personality declares that Russell Wilson is the greatest?

Grow up, and if you love our QB so much... learn to spell his name, for sh*t sake.

Literally the 3rd sentence I wrote was: :34853_doh:

" And don't get me wrong, he's a GREAT player. An obvious, barring major injury, hall of fame candidate."

So what are you saying exactly? That you can only read 2 sentences? I take exception to "I'm right and your an idiot". As Sherman says, it's like throwing a pebble at a mountain.

Not to mention the argument of, people that make a choice between two options are idiots is a very silly argument. As a matter of fact pattern recognition in order to make option based choices is inherently human.

And if that's the case, that means you're an alien. And I don't take life or football advice from aliens. (Though i agree about spelling Ruzulz name right... good point... I want you to feel better about yourself since obviously you have a lot of anger issues)

Tokadub

Reaction score
Shock2k":1zqqtoe2 said:
(Luck is) An obvious, barring major injury, hall of fame candidate.

CLARIFICATION: EVERYTHING I WROTE BELOW IS JUST BASED ON YOUR ORIGINAL QUOTE ABOVE... I THOUGHT U WERE AGREEING THAT LUCK IS AN OBVIOUS HALL OF FAME CANIDATE WHEN HE'S NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

What are you and the entire world talking about... why are you so obsessed with Luck? It makes no sense you are totally brainwashed about Luck, he's not that good... all he does is throw it a TON every game.

Luck's yards per attempt career average of 6.94 in the regular season proves that his total passing yards is nothing more than a product of a poorly balanced offense.

Luck's yards per attempt average is lower than:

- Wilson
- Manning (both of them)
- Brady
- Rodgers
- Rivers
- Roethlesberger
- Brees
- Cam Newton
- Carson Palmer
- Matt Ryan
- Matt Schaub
- Jay Cutler
- Joe Flacco
- Michael Vick
- Matthew Stafford
- Andy Dalton

OK ENOUGH!!!

I think you get the point Andrew Luck's yards per attempt average is lower than pretty much every notable QB in the history of man kind...

So why is it that we glorify this interception noobie machine even though his only claim to fame is passing yards but he's not even good with yards per attempt.

TRANSLATION = THE ONLY REASON LUCK IS "GOOD" IS BECAUSE HE THROWS THE BALL MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. IN OTHER WORDS HE IS A JOKE WANNABE, HIS TOTAL PASSING YARDS IS NOT IMPRESSIVE IN THE SLIGHTEST BIT WHEN TAKEN INTO CONTEXT WITH HOW MANY TIMES HE THROWS THE BALL.

Luck's career Passer Rating is 84.3 you could post another list of pretty much every notable QB known to man... they all have a higher Passer Rating than Luck.

Luck also has a below 60% completion percentage which is awful for a "Hall of Famer"

Luck's Touchdown to Interception ratio has not even reached 2/1 yet... which puts him well below all the games "elite" guys.

Wilson is now exactly 3.00 TD/INT RATIO IN REGULAR SEASON (60/20)...

Compared to Luck 1.82 (60/33)...

Simply put... Andrew Luck is an over rated bucket of scum and he only get's praise because he is the next Peyton Manning for the media. He was the #1 pick and everyone is obligated to slobber all over his you know what...

Andrew Luck is a trash clown boy and I don't even need to read your whole post to come up with this clear rebuttal.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":38xu4h91 said:
Honestly,

It really doesn't matter.

You aren't going to change the perception of what people perceive has reality because Luck is destined to the next big thing.

Just like people here have a hard time dealing with negative results because a self entitled agenda of proclaiming outrageous expectations. Then when things to go wrong as they often can when two opposing forces are competing in a game of skill and luck, they tend to "investigate" the issues which more often than not leads to searing hatred towards player X/coach X.

Then that hatred becomes obsessive and instead of fair critique it always becomes an incessant need to highlight every single negative thing player X/coach X.

Then fans observe that BS and then it becomes a virus and all of sudden player X/coach X is always trash and sucks and poor.

Nothing good can ever come because this team is just not good enough because player X/coach X is holding us back.

The passing game isn't good enough.
The O-Line isn't good enough.
The Run D isn't good enough.
Bevell isn't good enough
Wilson isn't good enough.

Those were the narratives of of 2013 and the Seahawks won 16 games and SB.

So who cares what Wilson does compared to Luck, it'll never change, to some fans he'll never be good enough.

But is just good enough the win a Championship.

Just can't argue with that. I hope I don't become somebody that looses all reason and perspective to radicalism. Though I see more of these rants as fighting the good fight for "our guys". At least that's what I like to use these forums for.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Tokadub":2tpdh4sc said:
Shock2k":2tpdh4sc said:

CLARIFICATION: EVERYTHING I WROTE BELOW IS JUST BASED ON YOUR ORIGINAL QUOTE ABOVE... I THOUGHT U WERE AGREEING THAT LUCK IS AN OBVIOUS HALL OF FAME CANIDATE WHEN HE'S NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

What are you and the entire world talking about... why are you so obsessed with Luck? It makes no sense you are totally brainwashed about Luck, he's not that good... all he does is throw it a TON every game.

Luck's yards per attempt career average of 6.94 in the regular season proves that his total passing yards is nothing more than a product of a poorly balanced offense.

- Wilson
- Manning (both of them)
- Brady
- Rodgers
- Rivers
- Roethlesberger
- Brees
- Cam Newton
- Carson Palmer
- Matt Ryan
- Matt Schaub
- Jay Cutler
- Joe Flacco
- Michael Vick
- Matthew Stafford
- Andy Dalton

OK ENOUGH!!!

I think you get the point Andrew Luck's yards per attempt average is lower than pretty much every notable QB in the history of man kind...

So why is it that we glorify this interception noobie machine even though his only claim to fame is passing yards but he's not even good with yards per attempt.

TRANSLATION = THE ONLY REASON LUCK IS "GOOD" IS BECAUSE HE THROWS THE BALL MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. IN OTHER WORDS HE IS A JOKE WANNABE, HIS TOTAL PASSING YARDS IS NOT IMPRESSIVE IN THE SLIGHTEST BIT WHEN TAKEN INTO CONTEXT WITH HOW MANY TIMES HE THROWS THE BALL.

Luck's career Passer Rating is 84.3 you could post another list of pretty much every notable QB known to man... they all have a higher Passer Rating than Luck.

Luck also has a below 60% completion percentage which is awful for a "Hall of Famer"

Luck's Touchdown to Interception ratio has not even reached 2/1 yet... which puts him well below all the games "elite" guys.

Simply put... Andrew Luck is an over rated bucket of scum and he only get's praise because he is the next Peyton Manning for the media. He was the #1 pick and everyone is obligated to slobber all over his you know what...

Andrew Luck is a trash clown boy and I don't even need to read your whole post to come up with this clear rebuttal.

Man I'm taking it for hating on luck and apparently loving luck to much. Luck took a 2 and 14 team to the playoffs his first year. The guy is a very good QB and is only getting better.

From MY perspective (God what am I doing defending Luck on a thread about Luck not being better than Wilson, but I digress).
1) Completion%: Ok his first year he was at 54.1% Terrible. BUT, in 2013 he was at 60.2 and he's at 68.1 this year.
2) TD's: He threw 23 in 2012 and 23 in 2013 and has 14 already this year. (My point is he is significantly improving here). Though again, he beat up on a few bad teams, so the season will tell. Like I stated above I think he's going to take a downturn.
3) Interceptions: He had 18 his first year and 9 his second year. (The theme is, his first year stats have really drub down his "career" stats. (Though he has already thrown 6 interceptions this year.... not an improvement at all)
4) Passer Rating: has gone from 76 in 2012 to 87 in 2013 and is at 100.00 for this year. (again SOS says we should preface this until about week 10)

With all that said, he really has had no run game. Trent Richardson was supposed to fix that, but boy did that backfire. And Amhad Bradshaw catching short passes is not making up for it. Basically there is a reason why his attempts are very high.

With that said, I accept that what you are saying should be taken into consideration.

BASF

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I do not play fantasy football and think that the mentality of it's players is polluting the knowledge base of football fans.

I think it comes down to pandering to the fantasy players more than anything. I think that Luck has had higher fantasy points than Wilson in all but seven weeks of their careers. So, by that perspective Luck has been better than Wilson in 32 weeks of their careers.

Tokadub

Reaction score
- I thought it was pretty much a well known fact that the Colts tanked intentionally so they could draft Luck, that 2-14 record the previous season is pretty much meaningless to me.

- LUCK has been praised since year 1 even when his completion percentage was terrible and he threw a TON of interceptions.

- LUCK's Touchdown stats are not that impressive when you consider how many times he throws the ball.

Regular Season:
Luck has 60 Touchdowns with 1413 Pass Attempts = 4.25% Touchdown Rate

Wilson has 60 Touchdowns with 911 Pass Attempts = 6.59% Touchdown Rate

If Luck was as efficient as Wilson he should have 93 TOUCHDOWNS BY NOW

1413 Luck's Pass Attempts x .0659 Wilson's Touchdown Rate = 93.12 Touchdowns (that Luck should have if he was as good as Wilson)

- I guess you want to ignore Luck's Post Season where interceptions matter most...

You say Luck had only 9 interceptions in the 2013 regular season, but you fail to mention that he had 7 in the playoffs that year!

Career Playoff Touchdown/Interceptions:

Wilson: 6 Touchdowns / 1 Interception
Luck: 6 Touchdowns/ 8 Interceptions

In other words, Wilson wins in important games and he plays well. Luck sucks in important games and single handedly causes his team to lose.

- Last season the Colts averaged 4.3 yards per rush attempt which is identical to the Seahawks.

The excuse that they have no rushing game is simply false.

The Colts had more rushing Touchdowns (15 compared to our 14).

And their best rush was 51 yards compared to our 43.

They also fumbled it only 3 times compared to our 6. And they only failed to recover 1 fumble compared to our 2.

So overall the Colts have a good rushing game they are just too stupid to use it :D

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt/year/2013

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Tokadub":6626lbqn said:
Shock2k":6626lbqn said:

- Wilson
- Manning (both of them)
- Brady
- Rodgers
- Rivers
- Roethlesberger
- Brees
- Cam Newton
- Carson Palmer
- Matt Ryan
- Matt Schaub
- Jay Cutler
- Joe Flacco
- Michael Vick
- Matthew Stafford
- Andy Dalton

OK ENOUGH!!!

BUT...its not poor little Lucks fault he has no team around him. Poor Luck has to do it all himself so thats why his QB rating is so bad...but...dont you worry...he has POTENTIAL...he will be in the HOF!!!!....He will get better. Those INTS arent his fault either

oh and he took a 2-14 team to the playoffs!!!!!!! He took that trash to the playoffs....they overhauled their roster completely and got rid of the 3 QBS responsible for that record but hey who is REALLY counting and paying attention anyway...HE DID IT ALL HIMSELF. I mean clearly Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky, and Kerry Collins were being held back by that terrible colts team.

Also here is a great post I made on another site regarding people saying Luck has to throw a lot more because the defense puts him behind...well THIS YEAR

Behind by 9-16 points

Wilson
8/11 120yards 72.7% 2TD 0INT 147.7 Rating

Luck
7/13 74yards 53.8% 1TD 1INT 64.3 Rating

For total Trailing stats no matter what

Wilson
18/25 218yards 72.0% 3TD 0INT 138.0 Rating

Luck
35/53 350yards 66.0% 3TD 2INT 87.8 Rating

Another interesting stat I found

From OPP 10-GOAL Luck has thrown 11TDs on 26 throws. That means only 3 of his TDs have come when the Colts are further than 10 yards out.

In comparrison to his HBs
Bradshaw has 5 runs
Richardson has 8 runs 1TD

So Luck has 26 throws compared to 13 runs 10 yards out

Wilson in comparison Has 3TD on 5 throws

Lynch has 9 carries for 3TD
Turbin has 2 carries
Harvin has 1

So Wilson has 5 throws compared to 12 runs

Although there is also the running stats for both inside the 10
Wilson 1 run 1TD
Luck 4 runs 1TD

This is VERY eye opening for the reason Luck has so many TDs this year is because they just pass pass pass when they are within 10 yards or closer.

OH and just one more thing...Ponders first full year starting he had a better rating then Lucks rookie year with an 81.2 rating..Luck had a 76.5 rating his rookie year.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Shock2k":1wxbw4hc said:
So what are you saying exactly? That you can only read 2 sentences?

I am soooo tempted to make that a signature. You could have made that your entire response. +1

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
BASF":zvhor3gq said:
Disclaimer: I do not play fantasy football and think that the mentality of it's players is polluting the knowledge base of football fans.

I think it comes down to pandering to the fantasy players more than anything. I think that Luck has had higher fantasy points than Wilson in all but seven weeks of their careers. So, by that perspective Luck has been better than Wilson in 32 weeks of their careers.

Yet fantasy players also appreciate Wilson's consistency.

And Luck was not considered a great fantasy QB last year. Hence he was the 6th or 7th QB taken in most leagues.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3du8j8ar said:
BASF":3du8j8ar said:

Yet fantasy players also appreciate Wilson's consistency.

And Luck was not considered a great fantasy QB last year. Hence he was the 6th or 7th QB taken in most leagues.

I am a fantasy player, and had Luck as my #1 QB prospect (and drafted him into all 4 of my teams). I do agree he's getting a lot of love from a fantasy perspective, but that's going to change over the next 4 weeks.

SupersonicSeahawkz

Reaction score
Please do not use the 2-14 Crap! Since 2002 the colts have had one year with a losing record. So that 2-14 year is what you call a fluke rather then the actual talent of the team.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
minormillikin":g077xt2h said:
One thing is certain:

Are we a bunch of effing children here? Get over the weird Andrew Luck hate.. or your weirder hate for "what the media thinks," about them. The Seahawks quarterback doesn't get enough respect? Cry about it more. What the hell does it matter? How will your life improve if each ESPN and NFL personality declares that Russell Wilson is the greatest?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HawkWow

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2j2hluqc said:
Tokadub":2j2hluqc said:
Shock2k":2j2hluqc said:

- Wilson
- Manning (both of them)
- Brady
- Rodgers
- Rivers
- Roethlesberger
- Brees
- Cam Newton
- Carson Palmer
- Matt Ryan
- Matt Schaub
- Jay Cutler
- Joe Flacco
- Michael Vick
- Matthew Stafford
- Andy Dalton

OK ENOUGH!!!

BUT...its not poor little Lucks fault he has no team around him. Poor Luck has to do it all himself so thats why his QB rating is so bad...but...dont you worry...he has POTENTIAL...he will be in the HOF!!!!....He will get better. Those INTS arent his fault either

oh and he took a 2-14 team to the playoffs!!!!!!! He took that trash to the playoffs....they overhauled their roster completely and got rid of the 3 QBS responsible for that record but hey who is REALLY counting and paying attention anyway...HE DID IT ALL HIMSELF. I mean clearly Curtis Painter, Dan Orlovsky, and Kerry Collins were being held back by that terrible colts team.

Also here is a great post I made on another site regarding people saying Luck has to throw a lot more because the defense puts him behind...well THIS YEAR

Behind by 9-16 points

Wilson
8/11 120yards 72.7% 2TD 0INT 147.7 Rating

Luck
7/13 74yards 53.8% 1TD 1INT 64.3 Rating

For total Trailing stats no matter what

Wilson
18/25 218yards 72.0% 3TD 0INT 138.0 Rating

Luck
35/53 350yards 66.0% 3TD 2INT 87.8 Rating

Another interesting stat I found

From OPP 10-GOAL Luck has thrown 11TDs on 26 throws. That means only 3 of his TDs have come when the Colts are further than 10 yards out.

In comparrison to his HBs
Bradshaw has 5 runs
Richardson has 8 runs 1TD

So Luck has 26 throws compared to 13 runs 10 yards out

Wilson in comparison Has 3TD on 5 throws

Lynch has 9 carries for 3TD
Turbin has 2 carries
Harvin has 1

So Wilson has 5 throws compared to 12 runs

Although there is also the running stats for both inside the 10
Wilson 1 run 1TD
Luck 4 runs 1TD

This is VERY eye opening for the reason Luck has so many TDs this year is because they just pass pass pass when they are within 10 yards or closer.

OH and just one more thing...Ponders first full year starting he had a better rating then Lucks rookie year with an 81.2 rating..Luck had a 76.5 rating his rookie year.

"a bucket of scum"? If you're thinking about carving RW into your forehead with a razor blade, I'd discourage you from doing so. Just one Hawk fan watching out for another.

IM_Mvp

Reaction score
Whatever happens, don't let Davis Hsu see this thread, he'll probably have an aneurysm because he probably thinks Luck is already the greatest QB of all time.