Quinton Dunbar traded to the Seahawks,

OpHawk

Reaction score
Regarding Flowers... If I remember right, he was one of the hardest hit in the locker room with the Flu. One of the beat reporters said he lost over 10 lbs and was never able to regain during the last half of the season. So there is definitely room for optimism with Tre.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Norcalhawklover":2d1umm4b said:
Nunya":2d1umm4b said:
Sports Hernia":2d1umm4b said:
jammerhawk":2d1umm4b said:
For a safety conversion to NFL starting CB in one season, with a sophomore regression, methinks a few here are being a tad hard on CB- Flowers. He was drafted in the 5th rd. @ pick 146

Let's wait and watch his 3rd season. The curve is trending very upward.
With all due respect, how was Flowers play tending upwards. His play got progressively worse towards the end of the year and he sucked in the playoffs. Let him learn in the film room and on the practice field. IMO he is trending towards Tharold Simon 2.0.

If we develop a pass rush, it will make all the DBs better. It is tough to cover when the QB has all day to throw a pass.

A good secondary translates into a better pass rush too.

Each helps the other without a doubt but if the pass rush can’t get home or at least force the throw a good QB can wait on his WRs to get position on the DBs.

toffee

Reaction score
OpHawk":1iffnwnj said:
Regarding Flowers... If I remember right, he was one of the hardest hit in the locker room with the Flu. One of the beat reporters said he lost over 10 lbs and was never able to regain during the last half of the season. So there is definitely room for optimism with Tre.
I am a Tre Flowers fan boy, I like him and Dunbar battle it out in camp for the starting right corner position. Tre has to improve quite a bit to overdone his new competition, fans should be real happy if he could cause that means we can field 3 really good CBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1243190854602207239[/tweet]
March 26, 2020 at 11:36 am
New Seahawks CB quinton Dunbar is excited for a new beginning in Seattle. (Getty)

“Before the trade was (finished) I had opportunities with a couple of teams but I wanted to go to Seattle,” Dunbar said. “At the end of the day, I feel like it’s a perfect situation for me to go play for a team that competes for championships every year. I’m just looking forward to that and everything will take care of itself. I just wanted a new beginning, and I’m just going to go out there help Seattle whichever way I can.”

Dunbar, 27, is the typical Pete Carroll cornerback: tall (6’2), lanky (32-inch-plus arms) and fast (4.44 40-yard dash). He’s also a former receiver, like the best corner in franchise history, Richard Sherman. Unlike Sherman, Dunbar didn’t make the move to defense until he was already in the NFL.

“It definitely wasn’t an easy transition,” Dunbar told 710 ESPN Seattle’s Danny and Gallant.
“Before the trade was (finished) I had opportunities with a couple of teams but I wanted to go to Seattle,” Dunbar said. “At the end of the day, I feel like it’s a perfect situation for me to go play for a team that competes for championships every year. I’m just looking forward to that and everything will take care of itself. I just wanted a new beginning, and I’m just going to go out there help Seattle whichever way I can.”
Quinton Dunbar: ‘I wanted to go to Seattle’ and play for Seahawks >>> [urltargetblank]https://sports.mynorthwest.com/835909/quinton-dunbar-i-wanted-to-go-to-seattle-and-play-for-seahawks/[/urltargetblank] <<< includes embedded pod cast interview of Quinton Dunbar

...............................................................................................................................................................................................
Bumpus said he watched some of Dunbar’s film after the trade was reported and came away impressed, calling Dunbar a “baller.”

“When you look at Dunbar, look at the way he plays the ball. He’s always on the receiver’s hip,” Bumpus said. “He’s good to go. He had four picks last year – two in one game. I don’t think it’s going to be a big transition.”

The biggest transition for Dunbar may not be on the field, but off of it. He’s joining a defense that’s had the same two starting cornerbacks for two seasons and he’s expected to be fighting for a starting spot.

“This guy’s coming in to essentially take someone’s spot, and I think we all know who I’m talking about. It’s Tre Flowers over there,” Bumpus said. “I think the biggest challenge is going to be being able to walk into that (defensive backs) room and just get used to the guys. Those guys have been in battle together.”
Bumpus: Dunbar should fare better than other CBs in move to Seahawks >>> [urltargetblank]https://sports.mynorthwest.com/835809/bumpus-dunbar-fare-better-other-cbs-seahawks/[/urltargetblank]

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
OpHawk":xldq1kry said:

Unfortunately, people will always remember a player only by what he did in his most recent appearances (see: Jimmy Graham).

Even more unfortunately, Flowers did legitimately struggle last postseason. There's a reason Dunbar was signed, and given other contracts going around the league, it wasn't to play nickel.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3b5n6ehr said:
OpHawk":3b5n6ehr said:

Unfortunately, people will always remember a player only by what he did in his most recent appearances (see: Jimmy Graham).

Even more unfortunately, Flowers did legitimately struggle last postseason. There's a reason Dunbar was signed, and given other contracts going around the league, it wasn't to play nickel.

Pardon my ignorance, but is Flowers a good option for nickel? I wouldn't think so because he's tall and lanky, but what do you guys think?

toffee

Reaction score
Vaclav44":2ezdj2nv said:
MontanaHawk05":2ezdj2nv said:
OpHawk":2ezdj2nv said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is Flowers a good option for nickel? I wouldn't think so because he's tall and lanky, but what do you guys think?
I am curious to know too, by the way, what is the different skill sets for playing on the sides vs inside when it comes to CB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":2uqva35s said:
Vaclav44":2uqva35s said:
MontanaHawk05":2uqva35s said:
OpHawk":2uqva35s said:

I am curious to know too, by the way, what is the different skill sets for playing on the sides vs inside when it comes to CB?

Your (inside) slot corner/safety benefits from loose hips and exceptional quickness to work thru traffic and change direction. They are ideally backed up by a safety over the top. So, play making is encouraged. (Tyrann Mathieu)

Your (outside) boundary corners are responsible for contesting the red line and can't always rely on help over the top. They make good use of length to contest the pass and also must be physical to stop the run out on the edges. (Richard Sherman)

That's about as concise and simple an answer as I can offer. :biggthumpup:

chris98251

Reaction score
Flowers would be a lousy Slot guy, Dunbar could fill the Coleman roll, but we also have Amadi who played it and Pete liked there.

Other then that the options are not there at this time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Dunbar was likely signed to be the starting right corner when we are in base defense, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't then kick him inside during nickel. Nickel CB is an increasingly important role and in my view not having a good nickel is why we played so much base last year.

Sports Hernia":6ozajq9r said:
True, but it’s also hard to defend a pass when you don’t see it because you refuse to turn you head when the ball is coming.
This is mildly off topic but KJ has a really interesting interview on Gamepass about this and its more complicated than many fans think.

We want players to turn their heads so they can locate the ball for a potential interception which is the best outcome. However, in doing so they lose track of the receiver and in particular the receiver's hands. In many coverage situations players are told instead to key directly on the receivers hands in order to guarantee the pass breakup rather than taking the higher risk gamble.

Often times when we see middling coverage players not turning their heads that is what they have been told to do in that situation due to their limited coverage ability compared to the receiver. It's a risk/reward decision that only pays off when your guy is a match for the other guy athletically.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":121ta85q said:
Dunbar was likely signed to be the starting right corner when we are in base defense, but that doesn't mean we wouldn't then kick him inside during nickel. Nickel CB is an increasingly important role and in my view not having a good nickel is why we played so much base last year.

Sports Hernia":121ta85q said:
True, but it’s also hard to defend a pass when you don’t see it because you refuse to turn you head when the ball is coming.
This is mildly off topic but KJ has a really interesting interview on Gamepass about this and its more complicated than many fans think.

We want players to turn their heads so they can locate the ball for a potential interception which is the best outcome. However, in doing so they lose track of the receiver and in particular the receiver's hands. In many coverage situations players are told instead to key directly on the receivers hands in order to guarantee the pass breakup rather than taking the higher risk gamble.

Often times when we see middling coverage players not turning their heads that is what they have been told to do in that situation due to their limited coverage ability compared to the receiver. It's a risk/reward decision that only pays off when your guy is a match for the other guy athletically.

That makes a tone of sense.

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":32e3aprm said:

Sports Hernia":32e3aprm said:

So your putting a guy out there with limited coverage skills but has length and speed versus a coverage guy that can locate the ball and not lose his guy, a good corner can peek and keep pace and defend trajectory and read a receiver before a ball gets there.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Wenhawk":j1zxngvl said:
AgentDib":j1zxngvl said:

Sports Hernia":j1zxngvl said:

Beep.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkStrong":4kz1nrrf said:
Wenhawk":4kz1nrrf said:
AgentDib":4kz1nrrf said:

Sports Hernia":4kz1nrrf said:

Beep.
So is that beep a high pitched or low pitched tone.
:D

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":t1fz7xdd said:
HawkStrong":t1fz7xdd said:
Wenhawk":t1fz7xdd said:
AgentDib":t1fz7xdd said:

Beep.
So is that beep a high pitched or low pitched tone.
:D
How hard is it to feel where the guy is when covering?Some of you have played
the game and/or soccer and basketball.I never myself ever just stared at the guy
and just threw my arms up or blocked his view of soccer ball without knowing
where the balls at.To me if a guy has to do that then he is not the player for the job.
Sherm is a great example of the perfect guy for the spot,an ex WR who plays CB
with WR eyes.When you do that you know it's not about being a shadow with arms
flailing all over with no idea where the little football is going.Very fustrating to see
PI on underthrown balls because your in the way of catch or getting burned because
it's just over your helmet deep for a catch but you can't get what you never saw.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1260996756868788224[/tweet]

Dunbar confirming he’ll start out on the right side, though, sets up one of the most intriguing questions of 2020 for the Seattle defense of what happens with Tre Flowers, who has been the starter there for the past two seasons.

Will Flowers simply compete with Dunbar for the right side job, or will the Seahawks look to use him in some other roles in the secondary? Specifically, could Seattle use Flowers in some nickel situations, maybe shifting Dunbar inside and using Flowers outside, especially against bigger receiving corps?

Coach Pete Carroll said after the draft that the Seahawks were exploring different ways of attacking the nickel position this year, where Ugo Amadi ended last season as the starter, saying “there’s some things that we’re working on. I don’t want to tell you all of it right now. But there’s some different things that we’re going to try.’’

Reaction score
Well, that's another guy who will likely be seeing a suspension and probably prison time. It was fun while it lasted!