Quarterback? Who needs a quarterback.

RazorChuck

Reaction score
Since the Hawks have no QB of substance, how dismal will next years record be?

Tusc2000

Reaction score
2022 will be a gap year for us. But better to construct a decent team and then draft an elite QB -- rather than draft someone good and not give them the pieces to be successful. David Carr is a good example of what not to do in building a team.

Eamon696

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but even if we drafted a QB this year - by all accounts, we'd probably still have no QB of substance.

I don't think it is a bad strategy to build out our O-Line, D-Line, and LB corps this draft. And I am sure we'll find some random DB in the latter rounds that will be an impact player for us. That way, we're positioned well for a cheap, young QB next year that we can surround with talented Free Agent pieces to make a run.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is we are going to try the Cleveland Browns path. Make the other 3/4 of the team solid, and then see if you can get a stellar QB as a FA. It is a high risk option but then drafting a supposed star QB is high risk too (ask the Jags).

Personally I think you draft a QB EVERY draft until you find one, it is that pivotal. And the non-star QBs you get, usually have some trade value.

notyou

Reaction score
Why are people so hung up that a qb needs to be drafted in what is the weakest qb draft in years?
I'm pretty sure it's because we don't have a good one now. That definitely doesn't mean we should get a qb this draft unless it's in the later rounds. Get all other positions of need 1st.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's because we don't have a good one now. That definitely doesn't mean we should get a qb this draft unless it's in the later rounds. Get all other positions of need 1st.
So getting Ej Manuel 2.0 and Matt Barkley 2.0 helps? Better players to be picked in rds 2 and 3. Run with Lock, draft next year.

notyou

Reaction score
So getting Ej Manuel 2.0 and Matt Barkley 2.0 helps? Better players to be picked in rds 2 and 3. Run with Lock, draft next year.
I'd rather not waste an early pick on a qb that most likely won't be the franchise qb.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Although I have no faith in the QB's we currently have making this team good. I still am not excited about drafting these QB's unless perhaps they fall to the third round. Then you are not committing to them and are still getting the quality starters available at 40 and 41. Build this team up this year and get your QB in the draft next year. Despite what Pete has been saying this is 100% a rebuilding year.

Rat

Reaction score
I think you guys are wrong about Howell and Ridder. Both would be enormous upgrades from the pair of second-round busts we have now.

toffee

Reaction score
Peteball won 7 games and went 7-9 in 2011 with Tarvaris Jackson. OK we did have Marshawn and the early stage of LOB. We have Lock and Geno now, I think the current Hawks without knowing who will draft in rest of the draft, could win 5-7 games. If our rookies worked out, we could win 6-8 games.

Even if we draft a QB in this year, that guy may need time to develop and not rush into starting from day 1. Russell Wilson was unique that he was ready from day 1, but that is Russ.

We need a QB to go deep into playoffs, but we may not need that QB this year, rebuilding and all.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I don't see us drafting a QB today and anyone left after today? It's likely our Hawks would just be a speedbump on that player's fast track to the USFL.

toffee

Reaction score
I think you guys are wrong about Howell and Ridder. Both would be enormous upgrades from the pair of second-round busts we have now.
You said better than Geno and Lock, ok, but are Howell and Ridder the franchise QB that got what it takes to bring teams deep into playoffs? IF Geno/Lock are 6 win QB, and Howell/Ridder are 8 win QB, ok, Howell and Ridder could be better, but I won't spend draft capital on them. I rather roll with Geno and Lock, fill other holes, and look for a QB next year.

chrispy

Reaction score
Seahawks had an All Pro QB in 2021 and resulted in a 7-10 record. Frankly, there are lots of ways to win more games with a worse QB. The team needs to get better. In this case that probably means improving the other 51 positions and minimizing the decline in that singular one. The individual talents of the starting QB will have an impact on wins, but the performance everywhere else will probably have a bigger impact. To put it another way, there are (probably, I guess I don't know for sure) hundreds of NFL QBs that have won 8 games in a season. That caliber of play will be an improvement for the Seahawks in 2022.