QB Brett Hundley Traded To Seahawks

Tusc2000

Reaction score
The reality is that most backup QBs in this league flat out suck. A few exceptions, but they're rare these days.

If Russ goers down, we're totally screwed, so it probably doesn't matter who's taking the snap.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2jrnhkye said:
he's probably better than what we currently have.

Probably, maybe, who knows. If he is somehow better than what we had, I still don't think he's worth even a 6th round pick. He certainly doesn't look any better than what we had when he's on the field. but who cares I guess. Hopefully its a meaningless pickup anyways.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2iked3ss said:
Ad Hawk":2iked3ss said:
he's probably better than what we currently have.

Probably, maybe, who knows. If he is somehow better than what we had, I still don't think he's worth even a 6th round pick. He certainly doesn't look any better than what we had when he's on the field. but who cares I guess. Hopefully its a meaningless pickup anyways.

Hopefully it's meaningless, right? We hope the guy never sees the field. :180670:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Austin Davis hasn't been good this off-season or pre-season, to the point where 82% of respondents in the poll so far had an extremely raw rookie in McGough winning the job. I can see why some may be skeptical of Hundley but have seen zero people wanting to hang onto what we've seen from Davis. The reality is Davis was competing for his job this year against not only McGough but all of the available options and he appears to have lost the job rather badly.

Does it matter how good our backup QB is if we suck without Russ anyway? Of course it does. There is a huge spread of possibilities out there in between Russ missing no snaps and all of the snaps, and in the scenario where Russ misses some time then our ability to compete for the playoffs could very well depend on how the backup QB performs in limited action. Backup QB is an important role in the NFL even if you have a franchise QB as the starter.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Why are we so mad about potentially waating a sixth round pick? It's as bizarre to me as when people were mad we traded a seventh to move up and pick Dickson in the 5th. Many draft picks are a waste, it's a numbers game. Hundley gives us a better chance to win than than the backups on our roster AND he isn't good. Both can be true

hawknation2018

Reaction score
adeltaY":2lu757kn said:
Why are we so mad about potentially waating a sixth round pick? It's as bizarre to me as when people were mad we traded a seventh to move up and pick Dickson in the 5th. Many draft picks are a waste, it's a numbers game. Hundley gives us a better chance to win than than the backups on our roster AND he isn't good. Both can be true

I’m with you on this.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":lrqr8kcw said:
adeltaY":lrqr8kcw said:

I’m with you on this.

Me, too. This is the nuance I was speaking about above.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Just more Seahawk front officd arrogance. They think they can turn every other teams crap into roses. There will be much better options for a backup QB in the coming days but the FO ego strikes again.

How about we avoid trading with GB anyway? After failing on Lacey ....

We need a new GM. ( I am one of those that hated the Penny pick - we’ll see)

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Well if we lose Alex we traded a 6th round pick and Alex McGough for Hundley. Alex is raw but has a good arm and is mobile so I think there's some criticism warranted if we lose the rights to McGough . If he makes it to the practice squad then this move it's a lot more palatable. I think most teams have there QB situation done so he has a descent chance to clear waivers but there in no guarantee that's the case . The biggest issue is Hundley just isn't good go look at his career stats they aren't good.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Schotty is the QB guru now, I would have hoped that they looked at Hundley and seen things they could fix.

chris98251

Reaction score
chris98251":1ctil41f said:
Well Schotty is the QB guru now, I would have hoped that they looked at Hundley and seen things they could fix.

To back this up, Pete stated this.

The Seahawks gave the Packers a sixth-round pick this morning to acquire a backup for the durable Russell Wilson, but Carroll said Hundley was a player they’ve had an eye on for some time.
“It his fourth year now, he’s played quite a bit and started a bunch of games last year,” Carroll said, via Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times. “We’ve been able to see him and really see how he has developed and we liked him coming out of college as well. He’s big, he runs well, he’s got a good arm, he’s got good vision on the field, he’s made a lot of big throws and big plays.
“He really gives you the thought that he could come in the game and keep it moving so we just thought it was too good of an opportunity to pass up.”

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Good trade. 6th rounders have had no more value than UDFA's in this FO's history. So using them as trade bait is totally worthwhile. If you can find Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Poona Ford, Brandon Browner in the UDFA market, 6th rounders aren't all that.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":yfemxwo2 said:
Good trade. 6th rounders have had no more value than UDFA's in this FO's history. So using them as trade bait is totally worthwhile. If you can find Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse, Poona Ford, Brandon Browner in the UDFA market, 6th rounders aren't all that.

It might be a good trade it might be a disaster we'll see i guess.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":xwcq5mxk said:
Hundley is probably a happy guy, the last two former Green Bay QB's here made bank in Flynn and Hass.

At least Hass got us to the dance. Flynn was just the most talked about QB that never played.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1hu90d01 said:

Except that puts us at 5 next year trying to rebuild since the Brown pick is also gone of course. :roll:

Plus we may be shopping the FA market and get nothing for Earl if he walks and we are buyers in FA.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":16w9t0t8 said:
Mad Dog":16w9t0t8 said:

Except that puts us at 5 next year trying to rebuild since the Brown pick is also gone of course. :roll:

Plus we may be shopping the FA market and get nothing for Earl if he walks and we are buyers in FA.

We will turn 5 into 8 and will be very active in UDFA's. I'm not terribly worried. But I guess it's fun to wring our hands about everything.

IMO Hundley is better and cheaper than Davis. McGough needs a year or two of development. There isn't likely to be a whole lot better QB's at the cut line. And the number of 6th rounders that do anything other than special teams is pretty meager. The draft is way over-rated.

sc85sis

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3l9133tv said:
Just more Seahawk front officd arrogance. They think they can turn every other teams crap into roses. There will be much better options for a backup QB in the coming days but the FO ego strikes again.

How about we avoid trading with GB anyway? After failing on Lacey ....

We need a new GM. ( I am one of those that hated the Penny pick - we’ll see)

Hundley isn't great, but he fits our offense. We likely wouldn't have been able to pick him up off waivers as we're too far down the list. We traded the last pick in the 6th round. That seems like a reasonable gamble to me.

As to "much better options," I'm not that familiar with the QBs who are likely to be cut or traded. Who's out there?

NJlargent

Reaction score
This was a dumb move. If Wilson goes down we might as well pack it up. All these QB backups we have are buffoons and we trade away a 6th for another buffoon. Should have kept the pick and thrown out any warm body if Wilson goes down because we are losing any game Wilson doesn’t play in.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Way too much overreaction to this trade. Nobody is going to look back and say "this was the deciding moment of the 2018 season". Let it ride,,,, who gives a shit. Come back at me in the 2019 off season and I'll still tell you it is a $$$$$$$ monetary decsion and a low risk move.