Q&A with Saints Fans/Seahawks-Saints Game Preview ...

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Scottemojo":y9zg8uvs said:
Scanner, the Haushka miss was the blocked FG vs the Colts.

See, this is what I need you around for - to hold me accountable. LOL!

So, anything else noteworthy about Seattle's Special Teams you'd like to add? Well, since no Saints Fan has commented yet on it (and I know you've watch a lot of their games) are there any observations you'd like to share regarding the Saints Special Teams ... or anything you've found particularly noteworthy in watching their games (Offense, Defense, trends, weaknesses, etc.)?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
citysaint":e0raiqea said:
Because of that kind of "protection" Russell Wilson (up until last week) was THE MOST pressured QB in the NFL bar none (on nearly 44% of all his drop-backs). So, almost 50% of the time he dropped back to pass ... Wilson had a guy in his face.

And yet despite all of that ... Wilson (unbelievably) has thrived. On the season, here are Wilson's numbers

This is what I'm talkg about... the line is back and in the Minny game he was pressured on roughly 44% of his drop backs as well which is insane. So Seahawks fans basically feel it's irrelevant because Wilson has been pressured all season anyway.
It's not irrelevant, that Defenses have noted the Seahawks anemic O-Line, and have exploited it with the MOST PRESSURE to any Quarterback in the league this Season, and racked up some sacks on RW, but at 10 & 1, you have to recognize, and give Wilson credit for astonishing comeback wins.
Wilson has a trust in his regular o-line guys ,even if they are still shaking off the rust, because he knows that they are getting back onto the same page, and that bodes well for RW, and for the rest of the Offense for that matter.
Not every Quarterback in the league can turn games around with that much pounding adversity, and I say that Breese and Wilson can speed read Defenses, and are exceptional at formulating plays when others would get tripped up for not getting it right.
There's a good reason that RW looks to Breese for inspiration, they are both considered too short to play in the NFL, and Breese opened up the whoop ass on those who stayed that course.
There's only three advantages that Wilson has over Breese, is that 1. hand size 2. build & 3. his ability to run.
I see Russell Wilson as a Drew Breese in progress.
For the mean time, Breese has experience (time in the trenches) and Wilson is still showing a magnificence in his comprehension, and growth.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score

VOR504

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":18c5eiux said:
Hey Saints Fans,

I don't know if any of you out there would be interested in this or not, but Dave Boling (long time writer for the Tacoma News Tribune) put out a really nice piece on the relationship between Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. It's a good read for those who are interested ...

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/11/28/2918850/add-saints-brees-to-growing-fan.html

I've had the opportunity to meet Drew and his wife. They're both really good people. RW seems to be the same. I'm not surprised they get along.

Chopzley

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2tjuyssh said:
Another question for you Saints Fans,

I'd like to circle back around and return to a question that iigakusei asked earlier, "Can you tell me more about the Saints Special Teams?"

Greetings! Saints fan here. First off I wanna say I have a great respect for the Hawks and their fans, who have stuck with their team no matter what, just like the Who Dat Nation. This forum is quality and reflects that. Don't pay attention to any Saints fans who seem to take offense to your predictions or analysis, y'all are a confident bunch but have earned every right to be, being the best team in the league thus far. But despite that fact, y'all still display a knowledge of the game and a respect for the opponent. Completely unlike your division counterparts in the bay, who exude cockiness, whining, and classless behavior from the coach, to the players, to the entire fanbase....I HATE the 9ers with a passion that could rival any Hawks fan, believe dat!

Now as far as our Special Teams, I would say it is the weakest link on the team. Our Punter (Thomas Morstead) is one of the best in the biz and would be a perennial pro bowler if not for Andy Lee edging him out year after year. Our kicker, on the other hand, is shaky at best. Saints fans everywhere hold their breath and close their eyes when Hartley lines up to kick anything more than a 30 yarder. Our return game is pretty lackluster as well. Besides one kick return by Cadet to the opponents 20 yard line, I can't think of any others that got past our own 30. Sproles, as electric as he is in the passing game, doesn't do much of anything on special teams, and really hasn't since his first year with us (2011). Sometimes they'll put Lance Moore back there for punt return duties, but that's mostly for ball security reasons since he is probably the slowest possible return guy in the league but makes up for it with some excellent hands (although even he managed to muff one in the 9er game). Our coverage teams have fared decently I suppose, but I think that can be attributed to Morestead more than anything.

VOR504

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2nnj3wh1 said:
Another question for you Saints Fans,

I'd like to circle back around and return to a question that iigakusei asked earlier, "Can you tell me more about the Saints Special Teams?"

The Saints special teams are a mixed bag. Thomas Morstead is a real weapon in both punting and kicking off. He has a powerful leg and a nice touch on punts. Most kickoffs are deep in the end zone or out of it. Of course, the wind in Seattle could be a factor.

Garrett Hartley was great during the Super Bowl run. He hit the game winner in the NFC championship, and he set a record in the Super Bowl for field goals in excess of 40 yards.

Since then, "Emo" or "Surfer Boy" has had his problems with consistency. That said, he's hit some big ones the last few weeks, so I'm hoping he has it together.

Sproles is a threat with punt returns. The guy has sure hands, and he's shifty and quick. He's been bothered by an ankle lately, but he practiced at full speed this week.

Kickoff returns are sort of "meh", but I suppose they're decent. Travaris Cadet has speed and has broken a couple of long ones, although not for TD's. They're starting to use him more, so we'll see.

ETA: I think Chopzley is understating Spoles in the punt return game. He's dangerous and usually gives us a solid net positive.

Obidan

Reaction score
Greetings all. I registered here a few years back, but this is my first post. I'm so old, I remember when the Seahawks were in our division.

I have very much enjoyed reading this thread over the last few days. My compliments on both the quality and civility of the discussion.

I think just about every topic has been covered concerning the Monday night matchup, so I will just add my two cents. I think there are more similarities than differences and both teams are evenly matched. My biggest concern as a Saints fan is that the game is in Seattle. Our left tackle Charles Brown struggles in pass blocking even in a quiet Superdome when he can hear the snap count. Lord knows how he will handle having to work using a silent snap count with all that crowd noise. I expect him to struggle and possibly getting a couple of false starts and allowing some pressure from Drew's blind side. Sean Payton will probably have to give him some help in the game plan.

I saw mention of Jeremy Lane in this thread. He went to Northwest Louisiana. Mike Detillier, an NFL analyst and draft guru based in south Louisiana, spoke highly of him in his weekly article for Saints Report and the Houma Courier.

Running Down the Lane

The Saints vs. the Seattle Seahawks should be a very close football game and it may well come down to turnovers and who wins the special teams part of the game.

The Seahawks have one of the top special team units in the NFL led by punter Jon Ryan who is averaging 43.4 yards per punt and placekicker Steven Hauschka who has hit on 24 of his 25 field goal attempts this season.

The Seahawks also have three excellent return men in Golden Tate, Percy Harvin and Jermaine Kearse on the team and who many think is the best "gunner" on special teams in the NFC in former Northwestern State (LA.) cornerback Jeremy Lane.

Lane was a lightly recruited football player coming out Tyler High School in Texas and was more known for his track skills than as a football player.

The 6-0, 195 pound cornerback started only 1 1/2 seasons for the Demons, but his size, foot speed and his quick ball reaction skills caught the eyes of NFL scouts.

The Seahawks selected Lane in the sixth round of the 2012 NFL draft and he has drawn high praise of Seattle head coach Pete Carroll.

"Jeremy didn't start a lot in college, but when he played he was an impact player," Carroll said. "We liked his athleticism and certainly he had the foot speed to play at the next level and we think in time he will end up being a good cover cornerback for us, but he has made a huge impact for us on special teams. He is fearless running down to cover punts and kicks. The guy hits people like a ton of bricks are getting dropped on them and he is making progress every day at cornerback. We love his potential."

Lane has racked up 7 tackles on special teams and he has averaged 23.5 yards per return on kickoffs in 2013.

"It's a privilege to play at this level," Lane said. "It's a dream come true and I work hard each day to get better. I never gave up that dream and I know when I am in the lineup teams will test me. That's just part of this sport that you have to accept and make them not want to test you and if they do, make a play. I have to be mentally and physically ready to play each week. I love to play special teams and everyone gets a break in this league in a different way. I know due to some injuries and us not having Walter Thurmond for four games my role will increase in the coverage part of the game and I am looking forward to the challenge. The Saints have Drew Brees, Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston, so we know we need to bring our "A" game against those type players. And I know when I am in the lineup they are coming my way."

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/playoff-game-december-mike-detillier-315216/

The rest of the article is a pretty good read as well.

I'm expecting a good game Monday night. Hopefully Ed Hochuli and company will let the players play and not litter the field with flags.

Dan

PS to boutte: It was Pat McQuistan (Paul's twin brother) that had a short stint at tackle with the Saints.

tooshort

Reaction score
1102593_10200279714714174_315172025_o.jpg

Obidan

Reaction score
OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Alright Saints Fans,

It was a nice day in Seattle today. High of 56F (record high for this time of year I believe). However, things are slated to change starting tomorrow. A cold front is on its way. Looking at and listening to all the weather reports, I'd say that by game time tomorrow night we're looking at 37F with possible showers (low winds are always a possibility down by the water as well).

Natural question for you guys (since the Saints typically play indoors), "How have Brees and the Saints generally played in conditions like those (both this year and historically)?

Puddinhead

Reaction score
Dalga":1q16000j said:
I believe that it does happen and may affect a play here and there for both QB's. HOWEVER i would take a QB with a high football IQ and great instincts over a few inches any day of the week and both Wilson and Brees fit this mold. Here's to a great game!! WHO DAT!!!
Great thread on an entertaining board. I've been lurking for a few days/week or so and finally got registered.

I'd like to point out that while the height/vision thing is certainly an issue for Brees from time to time, it's probably not nearly as often as "conventional wisdom" may indicate. It's widely mentioned how well Brees (and I'm sure Wilson as well) slides around inside the pocket, not only to avoid pressure but also to create that throwing lane he needs. What isn't pointed out as frequently (although I can't understand why not) is that perfect vision downfield isn't quite as important to Brees as to many QBs for a simple reason--he has the coverage read and already knows to which receiver and just where in his route he'll be making the throw before the ball is even snapped. Not unique in this regard, certainly...and maybe it's just that as a season ticket holder I'm seeing half of all his games live, and not restricted to what the producer wants me to see. But I'd swear you can almost see the change in his body language as he gestures a receiver into motion to reveal man or zone coverage...sort of like "Oh, yeah...I see the mismatch on this one."

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
starbuck2907":eaxk6s6f said:
Yo guys, our D-Coordinator talks about your team a bit: http://bit.ly/1fTYRE1

Thanks for sharing. Ryan is right about most things he's saying there. Marshawn Lynch DOES break a lot of tackles (as I'm sure you guys remember well). Over the past couple of seasons, he has consistently been right there at the top in terms of Yards Gained After Contact. You simply cannot just make contact and think that you've got him down. I've never seen a back have the tenacity he has -- maybe Earl Campbell -- Lynch is a whole different sort of animal. They don't call him Beast Mode for nothing. The one thing I would question him on is his contention that Seattle runs a LOT of Zone Read. They DO run it for sure ... but primarily (most of what they do) is based on the West Coast Offense. Even Russell Wilson has admitted that makes up about 80% of the offense. They run a lot of different stuff -- last year, they even ran some of the Pistol Offense. Pete Carroll is also good for a trick play or two every now and then too (QB to RB back to QB passes, which become long bombs, WR screens which the WR then passes to a wide open WR, etc.) Carroll is anything but predictable. As I mentioned before, he's honestly one of the best I've seen at both game planning and attacking a team's weaknesses ... AND at diagnosing what a team is doing to them and making the in game adjustments. Just be ready for anything is what I'd say.

Puddinhead

Reaction score
Just a little tidbit that those of you in Seattle may be able to comment on...I found myself in a short conversation yesterday with a guy wearing Delta Airlines hat and T-shirt. Turns out he's in baggage handling out at Armstrong (NOLA's commercial airport) and was saying that it seemed as though "every third or so bag" he'd dealt with the past two days was headed to Seattle. There may be a reasonably large contingent of Saints fans in attendance...which is common for most road games, but I admit unexpected by me for this one when distance and the matter of it being Monday night are factored in. Kind of doubt I'll be hearing quite the volume and persistance on the WhoDat chants via the broadcast such as were evident last week...they've usually just taken over the GeorgiaDome for the past several years.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would be surprised if there is a large base, unless they swamped the stub hub with tickets based on last years Saints record. Still a Monday Night game is special. You don't let those go often unless you absolutly can't go.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
chris98251":mdo0jbt1 said:
I would be surprised if there is a large base, unless they swamped the stub hub with tickets based on last years Saints record. Still a Monday Night game is special. You don't let those go often unless you absolutly can't go.

I would tend to agree with Chris on that one. I would be completely shocked, as Seahawk tickets are HOT, HOT commodities around here. There may be some Saints fans, but they'll be scattered at best. Now that's become true of Seahawks fans this year especially. At the Cardinals game, you could hear them over the broadcast saying, "Go Seahawks", as it sounded almost as if say 30% or more of that stadium were Hawks fans. There was also true in both St. Louis and Atlanta I know. There was a large contingent of Hawks fans there as well. I'd say only a smattering of Saints fans at best.

jafo

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":35u0768f said:
Alright Saints Fans,

It was a nice day in Seattle today. High of 56F (record high for this time of year I believe). However, things are slated to change starting tomorrow. A cold front is on its way. Looking at and listening to all the weather reports, I'd say that by game time tomorrow night we're looking at 37F with possible showers (low winds are always a possibility down by the water as well).

Natural question for you guys (since the Saints typically play indoors), "How have Brees and the Saints generally played in conditions like those (both this year and historically)?

It's been a mixed bag. We have looked good and bad. I worry most about Drew in rain and especially wind. For some reason he doesn't seem the same in the wind. When we played in TB it was a severe storm and Drew didn't look good.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Just a couple of in general comments. First of all, I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who participated in and contributed to the discussions this week. I believe that all in all everything went well and I'm very pleased with the result. Secondly, I'd highly recommend if anyone's got a specific question about some aspect related to this game ... to go ahead and page back through this thread. There have been a lot of outstanding write-ups by both Saints and Seahawks fans on nearly every conceivable topic (Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Injury situations, Seahawks' Back-up Corners, etc.). I'd highly recommend that.

That said, I DO have one other question for Saints Fans (or for anyone really who really knows their X's and O's and can help answer this one). The question is this: "How does Rob Ryan's Defense compare with that of his twin brother Rex's over with the Jets?"

I got to thinking about this question specifically after going to the ESPN website and hearing Jon Gruden talking a bit about Rob Ryan's defense. Now, both Rex and his brother Rob cut their teeth under their legendary dad Buddy who was the architect of the 46 Defense that powered that 1985 Bears team to the Super Bowl and then later Buddy had some dominant defenses with the Eagles and Oilers.

I ask about that because Russell Wilson and the Hawks faced Rex's defense when they played the Jets in Week 11 last year. To me, Rex's defense DID appear to give Russell Wilson some trouble for about the first quarter or so, but for the most part, he really handled the Jet defense well.

So again I'm wondering, "How does Rob Ryan's Defense compare with that of his twin brother Rex's?"

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I've been doing a bit of research, trying to answer my own question of how Rob Ryan's Defense compares (or even differs from) that of his brother Rex's in New York, as both of them learning their concepts of defense from their dad. I found this interesting article by Doug Farrar back at the start of October where he details Rob Ryan's Defense with a lot of good pictures to boot that show formations. From that article ...

“I’d say last year they were a really heavy blitz and zone team and they gave up a lot of big plays,” Belichick said of the Saints on Tuesday. “I would say this year under Rob, they haven’t given up very many big plays. I’d say one of the characteristics of their defense is that they play a lot of multiple defensive packages that vary from week to week, similar to what Rex does, or has done at New York, at times. They might play nickel, but one week it’s one version of nickel and another week, it’s another version of nickel. They’ll play dime and they’ll play seven DBs but the players don’t necessarily all play in the same spots, they’ll move them around by game plan and by matchups and by the type of plays or calls that they want to run.

“Last week was probably a good example, where they came out in kind of a new-look, nickel look against the Bears and sacked [Cutler] in the first couple series. They got a strip-sack and a turnover on a couple, it looked like, protection errors that the Bears had on a couple of their blitzes … they really kept Chicago from getting into much of rhythm in the game for the better part of the first half, just because of the way it started.

“You have to be ready for something different. The way they deploy can change quite a bit from a game-to-game matchup basis. They played a lot of 3-4 defense early in the preseason, and that’s certainly their base, similar to what he did in Dallas, but the actual number of snaps that they’ve played during the regular season this year has been a far lower percentage.”
Source:
http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/08/rob-ryan-new-orleans-saints-defense/

You know, reading through that and especially about how their alignments can change from game to game immediately made me think about how the same thing is true with Pete Carroll's Defense. The Seahawks defense is really a hybrid between a 4-3 and 3-4 with different formations depending on situation and opponent. I've posted this before in this thread (but since I don't know how many people will page back through and look for this particular link) will go ahead and post this article again from Mike Chan of Field Gulls, who does a great job of describing the Seahawks Defense. For those who missed this one or who haven't read it, I'd highly recommend it -- it's definitely worth your time ...

Defining the Seahawks' Defense: An Introduction

lengai

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2uttv4ts said:
I've been doing a bit of research, trying to answer my own question of how Rob Ryan's Defense compares (or even differs from) that of his brother Rex's in New York, as both of them learning their concepts of defense from their dad. I found this interesting article by Doug Farrar back at the start of October where he details Rob Ryan's Defense with a lot of good pictures to boot that show formations. From that article ...

“I’d say last year they were a really heavy blitz and zone team and they gave up a lot of big plays,” Belichick said of the Saints on Tuesday. “I would say this year under Rob, they haven’t given up very many big plays. I’d say one of the characteristics of their defense is that they play a lot of multiple defensive packages that vary from week to week, similar to what Rex does, or has done at New York, at times. They might play nickel, but one week it’s one version of nickel and another week, it’s another version of nickel. They’ll play dime and they’ll play seven DBs but the players don’t necessarily all play in the same spots, they’ll move them around by game plan and by matchups and by the type of plays or calls that they want to run.

“Last week was probably a good example, where they came out in kind of a new-look, nickel look against the Bears and sacked [Cutler] in the first couple series. They got a strip-sack and a turnover on a couple, it looked like, protection errors that the Bears had on a couple of their blitzes … they really kept Chicago from getting into much of rhythm in the game for the better part of the first half, just because of the way it started.

“You have to be ready for something different. The way they deploy can change quite a bit from a game-to-game matchup basis. They played a lot of 3-4 defense early in the preseason, and that’s certainly their base, similar to what he did in Dallas, but the actual number of snaps that they’ve played during the regular season this year has been a far lower percentage.”
Source:
http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/08/rob-ryan-new-orleans-saints-defense/

You know, reading through that and especially about how their alignments can change from game to game immediately made me think about how the same thing is true with Pete Carroll's Defense. The Seahawks defense is really a hybrid between a 4-3 and 3-4 with different formations depending on situation and opponent. I've posted this before in this thread (but since I don't know how many people will page back through and look for this particular link) will go ahead and post this article again from Mike Chan of Field Gulls, who does a great job of describing the Seahawks Defense. For those who missed this one or who haven't read it, I'd highly recommend it -- it's definitely worth your time ...

Defining the Seahawks' Defense: An Introduction

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and I know we're all ready for the brawl tonight. When you were researching the 2 Ryans and Pete did the Psycho/Amoeba defense show up for Rex or Pete? The Saints run it where 7-8 players on the defensive front are all standing and moving prior to the snap so that there are no reads for the offense. It's not used a lot but it can confuse the offense. I would imagine other teams have used this besides the Saints? http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/20 ... pact-drive