Q&A w/Saints Fans Game Preview -- Playoff Edition ...

hawker84

Reaction score
How does the secondary sucks when it ranks number two in pass defense? Lol. You saw Russell Wilson throw for 300 because your offensive line did a wonderful job and stonewalled every blitz rob Ryan threw each time. But sucks? Let's not be foolish

Ok maybe saying they suck is a bit much, but they are by no means anything to worry about, I've watched your defense in several games this year including ours, and that was with Vaccaro and Lewis, sorry i'm just not impressed. not to mention all the injuries since. However i do think that white kid is a ballhawk, i just wonder if he'll be one of the db's that's always in position to make a play, but never seems to make them? Let's face it your Defensive backfield is depleted, and one injury away from being decimated. who's being foolish?

I stand behind my statement, without pressure on RW, your secondary will get torched again, providing we're not playing in hurricane type conditions.

RunMarkRun!

Reaction score
Saints33":4i8ko3al said:
hawker84":4i8ko3al said:
I also didn't know that Big Red and Mebane was built for speed either , thought they were run stuffers.. You guys do realize we have different defensive packages for different situations right?

Finally so let me get this straight, you think a finesse pass first team has a better chance in inclimate weather as apposed to a physical, punishing run first team? That's a whoot...

I can understand what you are saying but our whole offense isn't necessarily "finesse." Our RG and RT are pretty bruising blockers. Colston is probably one of the toughest receivers in the NFL and Ingram and Robinson are both physical runners. Jimmy Graham is a guy who is known to take some hard hits and stay with the ball also, though he isn't much of a run blocker, our backup Benjamin Watson is a great physical run blocker. Unfortunately dome teams get that stigma of being finesse. Payton may unfortunately be pass first this year but in years past we were always a balanced offense.

False. Jimmy doesn't like being hit hard. He is a former basketball player who only had 1 year of D1 football. He is basically a wide receiver if anything. He gets gator arms when he gets hit hard. If he would have caught that third down pass last meeting it would have given us some momentum but he was popped in the back and let it fall. He also isn't the best run blocker either. I give that to Watson all day but i think they will be prepared for the physical play much better this time around. Mark Ingram and khiry should be very formidable with pierre out.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2511zn30 said:
AsylumGuido (and any other Saints fan who cares to chime in. Guido especially you I suppose, as I believe you're a native Washingtonian and see the Seahawks on a regular basis). Here are a couple of related questions for you ...

I'm putting you in the place of Sean Payton with this 2 part question, OK?

1) Imagine you're the one calling the plays on Saturday. In the Seahawks-Saints last meeting, did you happen to notice anything regarding the Seahawks Defense (tendencies, formations, situations, etc) that you believe (from your perspective) the Saints Offense might possibly be able to (and will try to) exploit?

2) Related to #1, given the current status of your team (current personnel, health, etc.) ... do you honestly believe that Payton and the Saints Offense will be able to effectively execute that plan?

No, I was born in South Dakota and at age nine, in 1967, moved to Louisiana. I learned right away "we" were getting a new NFL team that year and have been committed to the Saints ever since. But ...

1. One thing I noticed was that there were gaps in the defense that could be exploited, but Brees was not getting time to take advantage. Jimmy Graham was also very well covered in a physical manner by Wright. Wright's probable absence and the change to Terron Armstead at LT (along with other scheming) should give Brees the time to make more plays to Graham and the the other receivers in the crossing patterns. That, along with an invigorated running game, should help open a couple of deep plays and screens to Sproles and possibly Thomas.

2. The team is ready to go offensively. The questions marks are how the loss of Kenny Vacarro will factor in. Keenan Lewis is a go and Corey White should be able to contribute more effectively after being forced in last week.

Seeker

Reaction score
I will say this now and I want it on the record, if the saints start trying lateral passes they are DOOMED, this team is too fast to run or pass sideways on. I have seen unknowing teams try it with ugly results.

The saints love running sideways or doing lateral passes when the run game stalls, bad move...

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Game Injury Reports ...
MASH TV title screen

I realize that these have already been talked about extensively other places ... but I'll go ahead and post these here as well to keep with the Game Preview theme ...

PlayerPositionInjuryWednesdayThursday
Kam ChancellorStrong SafetyHipDNPFP
Percy HarvinWide ReceiverHipFPFP
Jordan HillDefensive TackleGroin---DNP
Luke WillsonTight EndAnkleFPFP
K.J. WrightLinebackerFootDNPDNP
[tdo=5]Seahawks Injury Report …[/tdo]
Source:
http://www.seahawks.com/team/injuries.html

Pete Carroll at Thursday Press Conference ...

On Percy Harvin [he's asked flat out if he's playing on Saturday], "He's playing and we're excited about him going and we're excited about him ... we're anxious to add him to the mix, which is what we're going to do here." [Reporter Q: Are there going to be limitations on him in terms of snap count, kick returns, any of that?] A: "He's going, I told him if he's going to go he's playing."

On Luke Willson [Reporter Q: Does Luke Willson have a chance to play too?] A: "Luke should be, yeah, Luke is ready to go." [Reporter Q: "Is it crazy to think that Willson can come back from that injury as quick as he has?] A: "Yeah, a little bit, a little bit. You know, uh, something happened because they checked him out right off the bat and it looked like he had a broken leg. And then they checked him out that night and he didn't. So, all I can tell you is it was a real remarkable, whatever happened in there -- there was a laying on of hands or something. I don't know what happened, but he jumped right back and he had terrific work and he's ready to play."

On Kam Chancellor [Reporter Q: You held Kam out yesterday, is he OK?] A: "He's ready to go, he practiced today."

Source:
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...nference/48854edd-1982-4b56-9d23-a556a58ef367

PlayerPositionInjuryWednesdayThursday
Terron ArmsteadOffensive TackleKneeFPFP
Jahri EvansOffensive GuardAnkleLPFP
Akiem HicksDefensive EndAnkleLPLP
Keenan LewisCornerbackHead/NeckFPFP
Pierre ThomasRunning BackChestDNPLP
[tdo=5]Saints Injury Report …[/tdo]
Source:
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/injury-report.html

Sean Payton said on Thursday ...

On the Injury Front ... "There's 3 potential starting outside linebackers in Will Smith, Victor Butler, and Parys Haralson -- 2 starting corners, starting strong safety -- you know, that's a lot of attrition. But that's our game though. That's the nature of our league and I think our players and coaches have handled that real well and guys have stepped up and played a lot. So, developing those players who are working with maybe predominantly special teams and that they're getting reps in practice, that's very important and it's been pretty good for us. [after a follow up question, he continues] You know, I think you have to develop the next player in and starters typically wouldn't get every rep in each period -- and yeah, I think -- look, I think the most important thing we try to do as coaches is say, "Hey, who's our best 11 for this situation, red zone, 3rd Down, and then try to put them in the best position possible."

He said that the team has been working on a lot of short yardage, red zone, goal line packages. Offensively, he acknowledged that they don't want to become one dimensional in any arena (would like to maintain a 50/50 balance between run and pass), but that the weather conditions could affect that.

[Reporter Q: How do you try to keep Drew [Brees] cleaner as opposed to last time?] A: "You know, we just try to block 'em a little bit better, try to keep the 3rd Down scenarios to favorable down and distances -- um, looking at the matchups, where are you going to help your protections - all of those things."

On Percy Harvin: "He's a dynamic player. He's very fast, can change direction well. You know, you've got to pay attention to him any time he's on the field, as a returner and clearly as someone who can line up in a lot of different spots that we've seen as a player on offense."

Source:
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/med...c-player/c0b4bd18-8568-43d5-aab6-31e444c1ea00

aawolf

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":o0on8lcp said:
Hawkscanner":o0on8lcp said:
AsylumGuido (and any other Saints fan who cares to chime in. Guido especially you I suppose, as I believe you're a native Washingtonian and see the Seahawks on a regular basis). Here are a couple of related questions for you ...

1) Imagine you're the one calling the plays on Saturday. In the Seahawks-Saints last meeting, did you happen to notice anything regarding the Seahawks Defense (tendencies, formations, situations, etc) that you believe (from your perspective) the Saints Offense might possibly be able to (and will try to) exploit?

2) Related to #1, given the current status of your team (current personnel, health, etc.) ... do you honestly believe that Payton and the Saints Offense will be able to effectively execute that plan?

No, I was born in South Dakota and at age nine, in 1967, moved to Louisiana. I learned right away "we" were getting a new NFL team that year and have been committed to the Saints ever since. But ...

1. One thing I noticed was that there were gaps in the defense that could be exploited, but Brees was not getting time to take advantage. Jimmy Graham was also very well covered in a physical manner by Wright. Wright's probable absence and the change to Terron Armstead at LT (along with other scheming) should give Brees the time to make more plays to Graham and the the other receivers in the crossing patterns. That, along with an invigorated running game, should help open a couple of deep plays and screens to Sproles and possibly Thomas.

2. The team is ready to go offensively. The questions marks are how the loss of Kenny Vacarro will factor in. Keenan Lewis is a go and Corey White should be able to contribute more effectively after being forced in last week.

I know what I would do against the Seahawks if I were the Saints.
1. Run at least two times every four downs with Ingram between the tackles. In this game, Ingram must be the primary weapon. I don't care if its not working in Quarter #1. Brees has shown, this season anyway, that he's prone to takeaways on the road. Don't heave it up too often into the Legion of Boom and risk lots of turnovers. Our run defense is only #7 in the NFL at stopping the run and could be worse if teams didn't just abandon it when they got behind. Its OK to take shots down the field, but only when Seattle sells out for the run eventually--our corners, like anyone else, can be exploited in one-on-one coverage down the field. Saints need to bring a smash-mouth mentality to this game which is different than what they are used to. Arizona had the perfect game plan against us defensively and they should copy that.

formido

Reaction score
aawolf":277wujui said:
AsylumGuido":277wujui said:
Hawkscanner":277wujui said:

1. Run at least two times every four downs with Ingram between the tackles. In this game, Ingram must be the primary weapon. I don't care if its not working in Quarter #1. Brees has shown, this season anyway, that he's prone to takeaways on the road. Don't heave it up too often into the Legion of Boom and risk lots of turnovers. Our run defense is only #7 in the NFL at stopping the run and could be worse if teams didn't just abandon it when they got behind. Its OK to take shots down the field, but only when Seattle sells out for the run eventually--our corners, like anyone else, can be exploited in one-on-one coverage down the field. Saints need to bring a smash-mouth mentality to this game which is different than what they are used to. Arizona had the perfect game plan against us defensively and they should copy that.

Arizona used that game plan out of necessity of needing to rely on their #2 DVOA defense. They scored 17 points, and that last TD had a lot of luck in it. With Harvin back, the Saints are going to need more than 17 points.

RunMarkRun!

Reaction score
formido":1r5ndgt3 said:
aawolf":1r5ndgt3 said:
AsylumGuido":1r5ndgt3 said:
Hawkscanner":1r5ndgt3 said:

Arizona used that game plan out of necessity of needing to rely on their #2 DVOA defense. They scored 17 points, and that last TD had a lot of luck in it. With Harvin back, the Saints are going to need more than 17 points.

Harvin is dynamic we know this first hand. He looked great from the one game he did play this year but to talk as if hes absolutely about to take the game over like ive been hearing Seahawk fans talk all week is absurd for someone whos only played one game this whole season. Dasean Jackson was shut down completely and i wouldn't say harvin is better than him this year at all.

Puddinhead

Reaction score
formido":2heffcu8 said:
aawolf":2heffcu8 said:
AsylumGuido":2heffcu8 said:
Hawkscanner":2heffcu8 said:

That may very well be the case, but I have to say with all due respect (and not "all due respect" as sarcasm) that I think that Percy Harvin is looked at as less of a "thing" outside of Seattle than he is by the Seahawk fans. As a fine receiver/all purpose threat, no doubt, but not really as a "game changer" that a defensive coordinator has to change his whole game plan around.

Now of course, now that I've said that he'll score three times on Saturday. LOL

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Puddinhead":3rldjdqk said:
That may very well be the case, but I have to say with all due respect (and not "all due respect" as sarcasm) that I think that Percy Harvin is looked at as less of a "thing" outside of Seattle than he is by the Seahawk fans. As a fine receiver/all purpose threat, no doubt, but not really as a "game changer" that a defensive coordinator has to change his whole game plan around.

Now of course, now that I've said that he'll score three times on Saturday. LOL

I mean this completely respectfully as well in saying that I'd contend your wrong that Harvin isn't one of those players that can alter a defensive coordinator's plans. With the speed, change of direction, athleticism, and overall skill he has -- I'd say he most certainly is. John Moffit (former Seahawk from last year's squad who was in training camp with the Hawks this year) totally agrees with that assessment -- that's he's one of a handful of guys in the league who can give opposing defensive coordinators fits.

And we saw him do exactly that in the Minnesota game. When he came in the game, all of a sudden those CB's and Safeties started backing off. Former Seahawk Dave Wyman wrote a great piece for 710 ESPN after the Minnesota game. I'd highly recommend it ...

The Percy Harvin Effect -- Dave Wyman

Those who are overlooking him are really missing the entire point. Unlike when he was in Minnesota, Harvin isn't the focal point of the Seahawks Offense. Seattle was one of the top scoring offenses in the NFL without him (26.1 Pts/Game -- tied for 8th overall). Seattle has far more weapons that just Harvin -- Lynch, Baldwin, Tate, Zach Miller, Luke Willson, etc. Even if he doesn't catch a pass, he alters the game simply because defenses have to respect that breakaway speed of Harvin.

To say that Harvin won't affect the way the Saints defend in this game is flat out inaccurate. In fact as I noted above, Sean Payton fully admitted that ...

On Percy Harvin: "He's a dynamic player. He's very fast, can change direction well. You know, you've got to pay attention to him any time he's on the field, as a returner and clearly as someone who can line up in a lot of different spots that we've seen as a player on offense."

Source:
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/med...c-player/c0b4bd18-8568-43d5-aab6-31e444c1ea00

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Puddinhead":iu2j4491 said:
AbsolutNET":iu2j4491 said:
Puddinhead":iu2j4491 said:
AbsolutNET":iu2j4491 said:
The only question I have for the Nola residents, is which one of you can overnight me a muffaletta from Cochon Butcher?
Cochon......ptuie! Hipster Warehouse District "fusion" version of a New Orleans original...when the original is still there for the asking elsewhere. LOL I'll send you an original from Central Grocery, or a wonderfully respectful reproduction from NorJoe's Imports. Just remember...only long enough in the oven to very slightly crust the bread, and not long enough to make the cold cuts "sweat". LOL

You're out of your mind! :D

I know it's not the original, but Butcher is absolutely fabulous. The Central original has too much olive spread and bread for my tastes (which is probably heresy to the natives). The other choices at Cochon are incredible. Cuban, Croque madam, pork belly....that place really ruined sandwiches for me, living a couple thousand miles away and all.

I was pulling your leg....Cochon's excellent for what it does. And yeah, the "two much olive...." comment would be heresy...but only for us older New Orleanians who grew up on old school muffalettas, roast beef poor boys, etc. available at every corner bar in the neighborhood. There is such a thing as too much olive salad, but we don't think Central's is an example.

So out of curiosity, if I find myself in Seattle and want to sample whatever fills the "muffaletta niche" there, what am I gonna have, and from where?

Is this like the Muffy..from papa fertittas. I shall post the link. I ate one there when I went to a reunion in 08. It was a fun time for us old/young farts.
http://www.papafertitta.com/html/muffy_s.html
Thanks for having fun here. May the Force be with us. LOL
:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Final Game Injury Reports ...
MASH TV title screen

Here are the final injury reports for both teams heading in to tomorrow's game ...

PlayerPositionInjuryWednesdayThursdayFridayGame Status
Kam ChancellorStrong SafetyHipDNPFPFPProbable
Percy HarvinWide ReceiverHipFPFPLPProbable
Jordan HillDefensive TackleGroin---DNPDNPDoubtful
Chris MaragosSafetyBack------DNPQuestionable
Luke WillsonTight EndAnkleFPFPFPProbable
K.J. WrightLinebackerFootDNPDNPDNPOUT
[tdo=7]Seahawks Injury Report …[/tdo]
Source:
http://www.seahawks.com/team/injuries.html

The injury status for the Seahawks is really positive heading in to this game, Percy Harvin being the most significant re-addition to the team. But the most surprising of all has to be Luke Willson, after suffering what looked very much like a broken ankle in the Rams game ... and was then termed a high ankle sprain. He's been a full participant in practice, and as Seattle has tended to run 2 TE sets about 25% of the time, that's very good news.

The addition of Chris Maragos to the injury report for the Hawks is a bit concerning, as outside of the starters that makes them fairly thin at the safety position. I would expect that DeShawn Shead would get some work in on Special Teams in this game and would be the one to answer the bell if needed.

For those New Orleans fans who don't know about him, DeShawn Shead is a big CB/S (6’2” 220 pounds) and because of that, some have called him Brandon Browner 2.0. He is a guy whom the Seahawks have hidden on the practice squad most of the year and that coaching staff is extremely high on. I fully expect him to get some playing time next year. Shead is a heck of an athlete, as he was a standout track star and displayed good speed (4.49 in the 40) and leaping ability (38” vertical) in his pro day at Portland State. Shead shows excellent quickness for a man his size, good physicality, excellent smarts, strength, and tackling ability.

Here he is making a play in the preseason. Eye popping play in many ways for a guy that size ...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000231438/Shead-picks-off-Osweiler

Here are some highlights from Shead's Pro Day at Portland State ...
[youtube]DDeFIXvvBtg[/youtube]

And some game film of him from Portland State (I know you've got to consider level of competition, but just check out his instincts, the speed at which he can break on the ball, and his overall physicality. Though he’s obviously inexperienced as far as the NFL is concerned, those traits translate obviously.)
[youtube]8yE21QPF9CE[/youtube]

So, look for him to get the call if (God Forbid) something happens to Chancellor or Thomas. Let's move on to the Saints Injury status ...

PlayerPositionInjuryWednesdayThursdayFridayGame Status
Terron ArmsteadOffensive TackleKneeFPFPFPProbable
Jahri EvansOffensive GuardAnkleLPFPFPProbable
Akiem HicksDefensive EndAnkleLPLPLPQuestionable
Keenan LewisCornerbackHead/NeckFPFPFPProbable
Pierre ThomasRunning BackChestDNPLPLPQuestionable
[tdo=7]Saints Injury Report …[/tdo]
Source:
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/injury-report.html

As far as the Saints are concerned, the fact that Terron Armstead and Jahri Evans look like they're good to go means that the New Orleans line will be pretty much at full strength heading in to tomorrow. That's going to be huge for them, as they'll need to establish the run and to keep Drew Brees clean if they hope to have any chance to win this one. Pierre Thomas is looking like a possible scratch for this one ... and while that would appear to be good news for Seattle fans, it should be pointed out that the Saints rushed for 185 Yards (5.1 Yards/Carry) against the Eagles last week without him. Khiry Robinson (8 Carries, 45 yards, 5.6 Yards/Carry last week) would most likely see time along with Mark Ingram (18 Carries, 97 Yards, 5.4 Yards/Carry, 1 TD last week) and Darren Sproles (4 Carries, 29 Yards, 7.3 Yards/Carry last week).

While most are going to be focusing on Pierre Thomas's injury ... the one that should be of most interest to Seahawks fans will be the status of DE Akiem Hicks. Today on 950 KJR-am, Hugh Millen pointed out that Hicks was the one who really clogged things up for Marshawn Lynch and the running game back on December 2nd. If he can't go, Lynch might very well be seeing a lot more daylight off that right side of the Seahawks Offensive Line. Stay tuned. We'll see how it all shakes out closer to game time.

WHODAT44

Reaction score
Best of luck to the Seahawk fans next week. Good game today. Not the game we wanted, but I believe the better won, good luck

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
WHODAT44":yyyofeki said:
Best of luck to the Seahawk fans next week. Good game today. Not the game we wanted, but I believe the better won, good luck

Thanks for spending the week with us discussing this game and for having the class to come back, shake hands, and say, "Good Game." It's been a real pleasure chatting with you Saints fans this year and I look forward to it again in the future. Good Luck next year (except when you play us, that is.) 8)

Zorn76

Reaction score
WHODAT44":1g80v7iz said:

Props to you for wishing us well after a tough loss.

The Saints defense rallied in the 2nd half to limit our team, and even the 1st half score coulda been much worse had they not held us to FG's.

Meanwhile, we have a lot of room for improvement heading into the NFCCG on offense. Our OL is really sketchy right now, and factors in as much - if not more - than play calling or WR separation on passing plays.

Latest posts