Q&A w/Saints Fans Game Preview -- Playoff Edition ...

Shock2k

Reaction score
Really great conversation with the Saints fans. It's obvious these folks like football as a whole even above their team.

There is only one weakness on the Seahawks Saints fans, it's o-line pass protection. Seattle is last in the league in this category (they are 9th in run blocking). This is exactly what every team since the Bucks game has attempted to exploit. And most teams are exploiting it to good effect. After the bucks game we went from 27 points a game to just above 20 points a game.

The coaching staff in Seattle is REALLY good at making adjustments and correcting glaring problems. Except for pass protection. We were 21st 8 weeks ago. Now with that said in the last 8 games we played 6 top 12 defenses (including the Saints) and 3 were top 5 defenses.

Honestly last game, Drew Breese flat out underthrew 3 passes that would have changed that game significantly. Take away some of the turnovers (which is a bad thing to count on to win games, ask the Bears from last year), and that game could have been really different.

I don't think Rex Ryan is going to change anything. The keys to the kingdom are available on 4 games worth of tape. The tape shows how to shut down the Seattle offense by stacking up against the run, and blitzing/creative pressure on passing. The key is going to be how accurate Russell on these hot routes under pressure. Which isn't a weakness but is a concern. Russell has had a noticeable downturn in accuracy that frankly cost us games, and chances in games. Last year he was making those passes to pull victory out of the jaws of defeat, this last quarter of the season he frankly has been missing more.

With that said, the Seahawks are a beast to deal with. If we aren't not beating you one way (running) we find a way to beat you some other way (Defense, Passing, Gadgets).

starbuck2907

Reaction score
^^^ Based on our last game. I'm not sure our blitz is fast enough to get to Russell. He either unloaded the ball or scrambled and tore us up. It seemed like we got burned a time or two when we blitzed. I hope we blitz less. I don't remember it as being effective against you guys.

Shock2k

Reaction score
starbuck2907":34vmj0st said:
^^^ Based on our last game. I'm not sure our blitz is fast enough to get to Russell. He either unloaded the ball or scrambled and tore us up. It seemed like we got burned a time or two when we blitzed. I hope we blitz less. I don't remember it as being effective against you guys.

You really got burned twice on blitzes, they were just significant burns and came at a time when the team was on their heels. Do I think the Saints have as great a rush as an Arizona, St. Louis or San Francisco. No, but I think you would agree with that. I'm not saying the Saints would see the same kind of success, I'm just saying that's how you beat the Hawks.

Our Pro bowl center (Unger) and left tackle (Okung) have been playing significantly injured for almost the whole season.

Fortunately for us, we are coming off a bye. So these guys are going to be rested. Remember when we beat you it was coming off a bye. The Saints have a big task ahead of them, that's for sure.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
starbuck2907":1qr7acav said:

I would have to agree with that. The Saints clearly got burned when they blitzed -- the biggest one that stands out in my mind was that 52 yard bomb to Baldwin in the 2nd Period on a 3rd and 3. Wilson has gotten increasingly better at taking advantage of defenses who do that, often roasting them for big plays.

But herein lies the dilemma -- blitzing can get you killed against Wilson ... but you also can't give this time in the pocket either because he will also tear you up.

The approach that HAS seemed to work to some degree has been when teams who have good, physical cover corners (like the 49ers or Cardinals) play good solid bump and run with the Seahawks receivers ... and they use their DE's to contain the edges. The lack of speed of the Seahawks receiving corps has been used against them of late. And that brings me to the question that I have for Saints fans.

As I'm sure you guys are all aware of, Percy Harvin has been practicing and it looks like at this point that he'll play on Saturday. He is absolutely electric and is the kind of guy that can really take the top off a defense ...
[youtube]DxFVSLbQq-I[/youtube]

At the same time, the Saints secondary is pretty banged up at this point in time. So here's the 2 part question I have for Saints fans ...

1) Do you see Percy Harvin changing the way that Rob Ryan and the Saints attack Seattle's Offense? If so, how?

2) How do you believe Ryan will look to defend against Harvin?

Shock2k

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1y0j1aj1 said:
starbuck2907":1y0j1aj1 said:
At the same time, the Saints secondary is pretty banged up at this point in time. So here's the 2 part question I have for Saints fans ...

1) Do you see Percy Harvin changing the way that Rob Ryan and the Saints attack Seattle's Offense? If so, how?

2) How do you believe Ryan will look to defend against Harvin?

1) You know what's been bothering me is, this miraculous rehabilitation of Percy Harvin. Is this just gamesmanship, and if so what direction? (The sandbagging he was injured and waiting for the playoffs, or are they sandbagging that he's healthy)

lengai

Reaction score

No, we just faced DeSean Jackson who is a lightning bolt himself so it comes down to Keenan Lewis playing man on him or Corey/slot defender getting a jam. Bush and Harper should be our main safeties with Jenkins playing the 3rd spot because he is dog doo.

2) How do you believe Ryan will look to defend against Harvin? Without Keenan Lewis I have no idea. The rain may actually help as weird as that sounds. If it's pouring rain it could be a 1960's smash mouth game.

BTW, here's an article you may like to peruse: http://sportsnola.com/index.php?option= ... temid=4452

Of note was this question by the author, "Since the win over the Saints, the Seattle offense has slowed a bit, averaging just 19.25 points over its last four games.

In those games, Wilson completed just 59-of-102 passes (57.8%) for 685 yards (171.25 avg.) with just four touchdowns and three interceptions. Wilson was sacked 14 times in those four games.

The question is obvious. Did the Seahawks peak against the Saints? Since then, they are 2-2. In losses to the Cardinals (17-10) and 49ers (19-17), the Seahawks defense allowed 139 yards rushing and 163 yards rushing, respectively. That is the panacea for the Saints. They must run the ball effectively to keep the pass rush off of Brees, control the football and keep the ball away from the Seattle offense."

Any credence to that question or just false hope?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
lengai":1ixboidq said:

No, we just faced DeSean Jackson who is a lightning bolt himself so it comes down to Keenan Lewis playing man on him or Corey/slot defender getting a jam. Bush and Harper should be our main safeties with Jenkins playing the 3rd spot because he is dog doo.

2) How do you believe Ryan will look to defend against Harvin? Without Keenan Lewis I have no idea. The rain may actually help as weird as that sounds. If it's pouring rain it could be a 1960's smash mouth game.

BTW, here's an article you may like to peruse: http://sportsnola.com/index.php?option= ... temid=4452

Of note was this question by the author, "Since the win over the Saints, the Seattle offense has slowed a bit, averaging just 19.25 points over its last four games.

In those games, Wilson completed just 59-of-102 passes (57.8%) for 685 yards (171.25 avg.) with just four touchdowns and three interceptions. Wilson was sacked 14 times in those four games.

The question is obvious. Did the Seahawks peak against the Saints? Since then, they are 2-2. In losses to the Cardinals (17-10) and 49ers (19-17), the Seahawks defense allowed 139 yards rushing and 163 yards rushing, respectively. That is the panacea for the Saints. They must run the ball effectively to keep the pass rush off of Brees, control the football and keep the ball away from the Seattle offense."

Any credence to that question or just false hope?
There is all of the credence in the world to those stats. Our offense is stagnant when our run game is stuck. Which is the last month, until the Rams game. Too many three and outs as teams press our less than intimidating receivers and load up to stop the run.
I will remind you though, that despite those rush numbers (which are not near as gaudy when you look at the yards per rush), the defense gave up only 17 to the Cards and 19 to the Niners. In fact, in two games early in the year where we gave up over 200 yards rushing, the Bucs and Saints couldn't generate points off those yards either. And I don't think the Saints have the secondary to stop our small receivers while still stopping Lynch.

lengai

Reaction score
Boy have we made a lot of changes today. Signed a safety, cut a safety, Keenan Lewis participated, promoted Rufus Johnson from the PS (think early Junior Galette), and signed a LB to the PS.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1w1k5ujx said:
There is all of the credence in the world to those stats. Our offense is stagnant when our run game is stuck. Which is the last month, until the Rams game. Too many three and outs as teams press our less than intimidating receivers and load up to stop the run.
I will remind you though, that despite those rush numbers (which are not near as gaudy when you look at the yards per rush), the defense gave up only 17 to the Cards and 19 to the Niners. In fact, in two games early in the year where we gave up over 200 yards rushing, the Bucs and Saints couldn't generate points off those yards either. And I don't think the Saints have the secondary to stop our small receivers while still stopping Lynch.

Yep. As I mentioned above, in 8 Games AT HOME this year, the Seahawks Defense has allowed a grand total of ...

750 Yards Rushing ... on 213 Carries (3.52 Yards/Carry) ... and only 2 Rushing TD's all year. 2 Rushing TD's allowed at home all year -- that's it and both of those came in the same game by the way -- Jacksonville (clear back in Week 3).

And here again are the rushing splits of the 2 teams this year ...

Rushing Yards/Game ...
Seahawks vs. the Run AT HOME ... 93.8 Yards/Game Avg. (5th Best)
Saints vs. the Run ON THE ROAD ... 124.0 Yards/Game Avg. (20th)

Avg. Yards/Rush Allowed ...
Seahawks AT HOME ... 3.5 Yards/Carry (3rd Best)
Saints ON THE ROAD ... 4.4 Yards/Carry (Tied 22nd)

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
One other interesting note on the Seahawks (for those Saints fans who might not be aware), the pass defense in the secondary has actually been BETTER since Brandon Browner went down (amazing, but true).

At the end of the season, the Seahawks had a passer rating against of just 63.5 (#1 in the NFL). Byron Maxwell has been playing absolutely out of his mind since taking over for Browner ... and the pass defense has really shown it. In the 4 games since the New Orleans game, all Byron Maxwell did was rack up 8 Passes Defensed and 4 Interceptions.

Here's a snippet from formido's fantastic post here a couple of weeks back. Pro Football Focus has listed the top corners in the league and where they rank in terms of QB Rating Allowed. Here were the top corners in the NFL in terms of QB Rating Allowed ...

1. Byron Maxwell: 47.8 (On about 500 snaps, so not a small sample.)
2. Richard Sherman: 51.5 (on about 1000 snaps.)
3. Logan Ryan: 54.8
4. Alterraun Verner: 55.8
5. Trumaine McBride: 57.4
13. Walter Thurmond: 67.4
14. Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie: 67.8
22. Aqib Talib: 72.3
38. Darrelle Revis: 81.4 (Dropped from top 5 last week on strength of terrible final game.)

With Maxwell, Seattle is even better. With Maxwell, our average defensive passer rating has dropped to ~63. Remember that marginal improvements are always much more difficult to achieve. Over the last 3 games, the only numbers I have off-hand, Seattle's defensive passer rating is ~46[1]. I bet it's something ridiculously low for all the games Maxwell's started in. Seattle's already league leading scoring defense has dropped to ~10 per game over the last 5 games, in a year when scoring is up across the league. That didn't happen by accident. Maxwell is the real deal.
Source:
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84416

NINEster

Reaction score
To me, this game is all about the Seattle home field advantage and what the Saints can do to overcome it.

Saints may have their issues like any other team, but they are not 34-7 worse than the Seahawks at home or in a neutral venue (and neither are the 49ers of course). The Saints getting blown out validated that when it rains it pours at C-link. I've never seen a fumble recovery for a TD that early in the game feel like the world was about to end.

They are a veteran team with the potential to go off at any given moment. While they are not quite the team they were in 2011, they are still very capable.

If there's a chink in the armor for the Seahawks, it's that the loss to the Cardinals has broken this aura of invincibility of playing at home. For the remaining NFC teams it's an automatic confidence boost.

The Seahawks are rightly favored and will probably win, but it wouldn't be a huge shock if they lost.

Dalga

Reaction score
Shock2k":zu89u3yt said:
Really great conversation with the Saints fans. It's obvious these folks like football as a whole even above their team.

There is only one weakness on the Seahawks Saints fans, it's o-line pass protection. Seattle is last in the league in this category (they are 9th in run blocking). This is exactly what every team since the Bucks game has attempted to exploit. And most teams are exploiting it to good effect. After the bucks game we went from 27 points a game to just above 20 points a game.

The coaching staff in Seattle is REALLY good at making adjustments and correcting glaring problems. Except for pass protection. We were 21st 8 weeks ago. Now with that said in the last 8 games we played 6 top 12 defenses (including the Saints) and 3 were top 5 defenses.

Honestly last game, Drew Breese flat out underthrew 3 passes that would have changed that game significantly. Take away some of the turnovers (which is a bad thing to count on to win games, ask the Bears from last year), and that game could have been really different.

I don't think Rex Ryan is going to change anything. The keys to the kingdom are available on 4 games worth of tape. The tape shows how to shut down the Seattle offense by stacking up against the run, and blitzing/creative pressure on passing. The key is going to be how accurate Russell on these hot routes under pressure. Which isn't a weakness but is a concern. Russell has had a noticeable downturn in accuracy that frankly cost us games, and chances in games. Last year he was making those passes to pull victory out of the jaws of defeat, this last quarter of the season he frankly has been missing more.

With that said, the Seahawks are a beast to deal with. If we aren't not beating you one way (running) we find a way to beat you some other way (Defense, Passing, Gadgets).

Wilson seems to handle pressure really well. This kid plays like he has been there before and been doing it for years. I expect him to show up big time in a Big game. I hope i am wrong >) I think we are going to play this game totally different than last time around. I expect to see ALOT better balance andi think this time we commit to the run early and often to open up the PA pass. We seem to have found our niche with the zone blocking and Terron Armstead seems to have played a nice part in that. Visit Saintsreport and check out several posts by TCUDan who does an excellent job of breaking this down and why it is working. I think for us the keys to victory will be committing to the run game NO MATTER WHAT early on and hoping to keep it close until the 2nd half. We need a turnover or two, not only to kill a drive and scoring opportunity for you but an extra chance to score for Drew and crew cant hurt. The difference for us on the road is that we cant seem to come away with 7 when we get in the redzone and we will have to in the Link. From what i am reading it is going to rain the whole damn game so this just further reinforces the importance of our run game.

WHODAT44

Reaction score
With regards to Ryan changing things defensively w/ Harvin returning. I don't think so, i think he's trying to solve a bigger hurdle, and thats overcoming some injuries to key personnel. Honestly, I'm not worried about Harvin or Tate, or even Mr. Skittles,,,,my concern is Mr. Doug Baldwin. I think he's a star on any team. He's sneaky good, and always seems to make a catch whenever R Wilson needs one. I think if we over prepare, he's gonna make a play that could possibly be a back breaker. We run the ball with some effectiveness and not turn it over, it at least will be close, if not a win for us. Still, a really, really tall task.

stack600

Reaction score
Another great thread..Saints fans R Dat.
A point I would like to make is, when talking about our last 4 games and going 2-2 with a tight Loss in S.F. and to the Cards at home, As your fans said about Falcons Playing up for a division game before our Dec 2nd Game and your game against Carolina..Well 49ers and Cards are our division. So I would not put to much into a division loss. Cause I know you have and are a smart intellegent fan base, and know how division games go.

My question: With all the Head coaching jobs out there, and with your winning record..Are teams asking to talk or interview your OC..DC or other asst. and do you feel this is a distraction before a playoff game?

I'm asking cause they are wanting to Interview our DC Quinn and OC Bevell. I hate this and feel the league should have teams hold off till a teams season is over. I know the teams that fired head coaches Want to get it settled, But I do feel this is a distraction although not a big one and not to the players. But I guess I want my staff focused on the task at hand..(maybe I feel this way cause Sark Bolted for USC from the Huskies before the Bowl game and after the Bowl Game 2 more Coaches Bolted for USC)

FloridaSaint

Reaction score
These are the stats concerning our run game (I only put the top 4 backs):

NAME ATT YDS AVG LONG 20+ D YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN
Pierre Thomas 147 549 3.7 18 0 2 34.3 0 0 31
Mark Ingram 78 386 4.9 34 3 1 35.1 0 0 18
Khiry Robinson 54 224 4.1 25 3 1 22.4 0 0 12
Darren Sproles 53 220 4.2 38 1 2 14.7 1 1 11

Sean Payton has said that he wants to commit more to the run because it helps to open up the passing game. Our RB corp is set up on run by committee. Each back has a specific strength & when need be we will put the best back in for that particular play. If we didn't have a Drew Brees & had to commit totally to the run I think the RB's would be awesome. The main statistic that really stand out is the yards per carry. Ingram has come up big lately because he running with a chip on his shoulder. He wants to prove to the Saint fan base that he is an elite Running Back. He lately has been running like the way Deuce McAllister use to run. He will hit you & you will know he has hit you. I am really looking forward to the rematch. I can't stand the winers & after seeing the press conference Kaperprick had he is nothing but a thug. Looking forward to seeing the rematch. Saints fan till I die.

The only other stat that I find interesting is everyone says we are strictly a passing team but the run stats as a team shows differently:

RUSHING
TEAM ATT YDS AVG LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN
Saints 391 1473 3.8 38 7 10 92.1 1 1 87
Opponents 387 1786 4.6 52 15 11 111.6 3 2 82

Again we have more attempts than our opponents but as coach stated it opens up the passing game:

RECEIVING
TEAM REC TAR YDS AVG TD LONG 20+ YDS/G FUM FUML YAC 1DN
Saints 446 651 5162 11.6 39 76 67 322.6 1 0 2225 244
Opponents 304 507 3441 11.3 20 60 40 215.1 4 2 1419 168

The 20 yards per game difference is made up plus more in our receiving game.

Again thanks for having us Saints Fans on your forum! (whodatzone)

WHODAT44

Reaction score
I agree with Stack, I put zero or very little credence on division games. Too much bad blood, plus seeing each other twice a year, you get used what the guy is doing, knowing tendencies, personnel, formations. Some of the best games are when one team is in first place and the other is sucking. As far as the coaching situations, the only name i've seen surface has been Ryan's (but not with any particular position or team), and i bet had we lost to Philly it probably wouldn't have surfaced. I think any time you have success your team is vulnerable to the vultures. Unfortunately for you guys, your defense is not just great, is phenomenal. I look at it this way, what may be selfish to me, may be a great, once in a lifetime opportunity for one our coaches to realize a life long dream. It does blow, yes, but it's a tribute to how well your organization is run. I only pray our coaches leave not only our divisions, but also the conference.

Puddinhead

Reaction score
A question for Seahawks fans...and let me preface this by saying I HATE watching a game on TV versus in person for specifically the situation that prompts this question--you watch what the producer wants you to watch, not what you want to watch. You get a tight, ball-centered shot filling the screen, and then maybe after the play is over you'll get to see action away from the ball IF the producer decides it's something worth showing you. I hate this for several reasons. When at the game I'm able to see what packages the offense sends on to the field instantly, and then immediately see how the defense substitutes to counter. But perhaps more than that I hate not having the wide "all 22" view of the passing game as the play is taking place.

That out of the way, the question: In the earlier game between the two teams, it seemed to me that Seattle ran an inordinate (for the NFL) amount of one- and two-receiver routes, keeping the other eligible receivers in protection. Is this something that has been common throughout the season for the Seahawks? For that matter, am I correct even about that one particular game in the first place, or was that an artifact of the "TV view" versus the "in person view"?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The only question I have for the Nola residents, is which one of you can overnight me a muffaletta from Cochon Butcher?

Puddinhead

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1zlgiahx said:
The only question I have for the Nola residents, is which one of you can overnight me a muffaletta from Cochon Butcher?
Cochon......ptuie! Hipster Warehouse District "fusion" version of a New Orleans original...when the original is still there for the asking elsewhere. LOL I'll send you an original from Central Grocery, or a wonderfully respectful reproduction from NorJoe's Imports. Just remember...only long enough in the oven to very slightly crust the bread, and not long enough to make the cold cuts "sweat". LOL

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Wait! What is this I'm reading? Civility on the interwebs? Between opposing fans? Before a huge playoff game? After a blowout?

Hawkscanner, I think you may have fixed the Internet. Please attend to the U.N. when you have a moment.

As for the game, I am worried about Kenny Stills. He's the kind of receiver that gives our secondary fits. TY Hilton killed us vs the Colts and they are similar players. If you guys just ring up a couple big plays on us and score some easy points it could mean the difference, as our offense has been brutal down the stretch.

The Seahawks ability to sustain drives is another concern. If we can't control the clock and give Brees to many opportunities we could get beat.

I know Saints fans are hoping to establish a running game but that won't happen. Apart from a couple games Seattle has been great vs the run and Ingram is not the sort of back that can hurt them. The Saints best chance to win is throwing deep, getting PI calls and cheap TDs. If Brees plays solid, avoids turnovers and hits a couple big plays I think you can hang.