Q&A w/Saints Fans Game Preview -- Playoff Edition ...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":231xdaf5 said:
I'd be shocked if Payton didn't come out and run the ball. The Hawks gave a good but not great run D and an outstanding pass D. Keep the clock moving, don't turn the ball over and make our offense (which has been struggling) get a lot of first downs before getting into scoring range. You have to stick to the run and not let our pass D control the game. Be satisfied with punting early and giving our O long fields. Make our offense drive by playing the field position game early and take your shots when you're in a manageable part of the field. The Hawks don't get beat by explosive offenses, they get beat when the other team loads up with big bodies and comes at us.
Good points. I think the Saints plan will be run run run and run some more to control the clock, and then hit Graham often.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
terrytogo":7mo37u8y said:
Is the confidence in beating us a farce, or are you guys really not worried about the Saints at all?

Two teams which we beat this year have given the hawks trouble in Seattle (Tampa and Arizona). I understand the confidence in your team as you are the one seed and the only team in the entire NFL more balanced on offense and defense than us, but I sense a bit of arrogance from certain fans that I sure hope the team doesn't share as well. If I were Seattle I would prepare for a team on a mission arriving Saturday, and not be surprised if the result is a dog fight greater than Century Link field has seen in some time.

I don't think it's either- I'm confident Seattle will win but that doesn't mean I'm expecting a 74-0 blowout. The Saints are a great team- they have an MVP quarterback and they have enough talent to make sure your team has to play their best ball.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
formido":2q1ypqog said:
AbsolutNET":2q1ypqog said:
I'd be shocked if Payton didn't come out and run the ball. The Hawks gave a good but not great run D and an outstanding pass D. Keep the clock moving, don't turn the ball over and make our offense (which has been struggling) get a lot of first downs before getting into scoring range. You have to stick to the run and not let our pass D control the game. Be satisfied with punting early and giving our O long fields. Make our offense drive by playing the field position game early and take your shots when you're in a manageable part of the field. The Hawks don't get beat by explosive offenses, they get beat when the other team loads up with big bodies and comes at us.

If you take out the two outlier games from mid-season, which I think is totally fair since we demolished St. Louis's rush offense later, Seattle's run defense has been pretty close to spectacular.

Right. I posted this in the Seahawks-Rams Game Preview Thread 2 weeks ago now (and I've amended this to include that game). Here is how the Seahawks have done stopping the run ...

Since allowing 200 yards on the ground to the Rams in Week 8 … and 205 yards on the ground to the Buccaneers at Century Link in Week 9 … the Seahawks run defense has been fairly stout of late ...

Falcons (Week 10 -- 11/10/13)… 16 Carries … 64 Yards Rushing (4.0 Yards/Carry)

Vikings (Week 11 -- 11/17/13) … 33 Carries … 132 Yards Rushing (4.0 Yards/Carry) … BUT, 58 of the Vikings 132 Rushing Yards in that game came against the 2nd and 3rd String after the starters were pulled at the start of the 4th Quarter. The Vikings managed only 73 yards on 28 carries on the ground total (2.81 Yards/Carry) against the starters.

Saints (Week 13 -- 12/2/13) …17 Carries … 44 Yards Rushing (2.6 Yards/Carry)

49ers (Week 14 -- 12/8/13) … 33 Carries … 163 Yards Rushing (4.9 Yards/Carry). However, 51 of Frank Gore’s yards came on 1 play. Take away that 1 play and the Seahawks limited San Francisco to 32 Carries … 112 Yards Rushing (just 3.5 Yards/Carry).

Giants (Week 15 -- 12/15/13) … 14 Carries … 25 Yards Rushing (1.8 Yards/Carry).

Cardinals (Week 16 -- 12/22/13) … 43 Carries … 139 Yards Rushing (3.2 Yards/Carry)

Rams (Week 17 -- 12/29/2013) ... 18 Carries ... 13 Yards Rushing (0.7 Yards/Carry)

In 8 Games AT HOME this year, the Seahawks Defense has allowed a grand total of ...

750 Yards Rushing ... on 213 Carries (3.52 Yards/Carry) ... and just 2 Rushing TD's all year. Both of those came in the same game by the way -- Jacksonville (clear back in Week 3).

You know Carroll, Quinn, and company are going to make it priority #1 to stop the run. I would be absolutely shocked given the environment that the Saints Offense is going to be facing (earplugs or no earplugs) if they find all that many holes to run through.

Edit to Add ...

Incidentally, I just checked the Home/Road Splits for both teams against the run. Here were the rankings this year ...

Rushing Yards/Game ...
Seahawks vs. the Run AT HOME ... 93.8 Yards/Game Avg. (5th Best)
Saints vs. the Run ON THE ROAD ... 124.0 Yards/Game Avg. (20th)

Avg. Yards/Rush Allowed ...
Seahawks AT HOME ... 3.5 Yards/Carry (3rd Best)
Saints ON THE ROAD ... 4.4 Yards/Carry (Tied 22nd)

Source:
http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-rushing-yards-per-game

themunn

Reaction score
Saints ran 3 times in their first 3 drives against us for -4, 1 and 1 yard. That resulted in two third and longs and a 3rd and 5.

and all 3 ended badly for the Saints. Rushing is a great idea when it works...

ManBunts

Reaction score
terrytogo":1meox4f5 said:
tiger_bait":1meox4f5 said:
Is the confidence in beating us a farce, or are you guys really not worried about the Saints at all?

Two teams which we beat this year have given the hawks trouble in Seattle (Tampa and Arizona). I understand the confidence in your team as you are the one seed and the only team in the entire NFL more balanced on offense and defense than us, but I sense a bit of arrogance from certain fans that I sure hope the team doesn't share as well. If I were Seattle I would prepare for a team on a mission arriving Saturday, and not be surprised if the result is a dog fight greater than Century Link field has seen in some time.

I think quite a few of us are high on the potential return of Percy, and hearing that two other key injured players in Wright and Willson are potential returns as well, but I think our confidence is too often misconstrued as arrogance. And yes, some people ARE arrogant and looking past the Saints. But most of us get that you don't look past any team in the playoffs. Period. Brees and Payton are both deadly at adapting and I don't think we see the same team. And given the losses the Saints have taken at the C-link, I can totally understand them coming in dead set on dishing it out.

To any Saints fans, question:
Your quarterback is amazing. The guy amasses 5,000 yards passing like I amass weight during the holiday season. That said, it seems like for some time your run game has been the glaring hole in your offense. And again, perhaps glaring because your passing game is so huge. Pierre is your leading rusher with just over 500 yards, then a mix of Ingram, Sproles and Robinson. Frankly there just isn't a lead back that has evolved out of the mix. Do you see the Saints addressing this in the draft at all or are most fans cool with this mixed backfield? I would think a bigger run threat might really open up the field for your receivers

lengai

Reaction score
Looks like 100% chance of rain. I'm not sure how much it will rain, but running may be all both teams can do for parts of the game. Could be a turnover festival or nothing at all. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. To have to come into Seattle on the road against the best team in the NFL and play in the rain after getting pummeled is as big of a challenge is there is. I think Keenan will play and we both lost a good LB. IF the Saints can somehow pull that off it would be mind blowing.

lengai

Reaction score
"To any Saints fans, question:
Your quarterback is amazing. The guy amasses 5,000 yards passing like I amass weight during the holiday season. That said, it seems like for some time your run game has been the glaring hole in your offense. And again, perhaps glaring because your passing game is so huge. Pierre is your leading rusher with just over 500 yards, then a mix of Ingram, Sproles and Robinson. Frankly there just isn't a lead back that has evolved out of the mix. Do you see the Saints addressing this in the draft at all or are most fans cool with this mixed backfield? I would think a bigger run threat might really open up the field for your receivers."

We had a huge run game vs. Dallas with Ingram. He has been running with authority the past few weeks when he gets the ball. The O-line is doing a good job up front recently (beeter than our last meeting). I don't think we will try and screen you guys as much this time. We have to either go high-flying or ground and pound with a few shots deep. I think we will try and establish Ingram from the get-go. Sproles will get some touches, and Pierre if he is healthy, but Ingram and Robinson (if Thomas can't play) are going to have to do the heavy lifting. We can run the football. We just don't usually plan that way because if you get up 2 scores quick on a running team that doesn't throw a lot you take them out of their game.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
ManBunts":24gs5x3r said:
terrytogo":24gs5x3r said:
tiger_bait":24gs5x3r said:

I think quite a few of us are high on the potential return of Percy, and hearing that two other key injured players in Wright and Willson are potential returns as well, but I think our confidence is too often misconstrued as arrogance. And yes, some people ARE arrogant and looking past the Saints. But most of us get that you don't look past any team in the playoffs. Period. Brees and Payton are both deadly at adapting and I don't think we see the same team. And given the losses the Saints have taken at the C-link, I can totally understand them coming in dead set on dishing it out.

To any Saints fans, question:
Your quarterback is amazing. The guy amasses 5,000 yards passing like I amass weight during the holiday season. That said, it seems like for some time your run game has been the glaring hole in your offense. And again, perhaps glaring because your passing game is so huge. Pierre is your leading rusher with just over 500 yards, then a mix of Ingram, Sproles and Robinson. Frankly there just isn't a lead back that has evolved out of the mix. Do you see the Saints addressing this in the draft at all or are most fans cool with this mixed backfield? I would think a bigger run threat might really open up the field for your receivers

Most Saints fans see no reason to have a "lead back". Payton uses the individual strengths of his backs and goes with the hot hand. The key objective in the Saints offensive philosophy is that the team success comes first. Every individual player preaches that same mantra. Yes, Pierre Thomas has been the most productive back by numbers, but he was inactive last week and the Saints run game still rolled. Teams that depend upon a "lead back" have most of their eggs in a single basket.

Over the past few weeks Payton has shown a commitment to the run and the run game has looked more than capable. It looks much improved over what we were seeing coming into our last meeting.

hawker84

Reaction score
it was made very evident Sunday, doesn't matter how good your QB is or your offense is, if you do not have a good defense in the playoffs, the odds are against you. I don't think anyone will second guess Rogers is arguably the best QB in the league, and GB still lost, why, because their defense sucks.

NO has a much better defense than GB, but with all the injuries and questionable secondary, there are things to attack there. Last time i checked Lewis and Vaccaro both played last time we faced up and it didn't make a bit of difference, to beat the Hawks, you have to pressure Wilson up front, and cut off his escape routes so he can not extend plays... If you don't he will kill you in one of two ways...I don't see where NO has the personnel to do this..

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawkblogger has a good blog concerning the upcoming game. http://www.hawkblogger.com/

"OUT: SS Kenny Vaccaro / IN: SS Roman Harper

Vaccaro is one of the big losses for the Saints. He was having a good rookie season before landing on the IR with a fractured ankle a few weeks back. He still finished third on the Saints in tackles, third in tackles for loss, and fourth in passes defensed. He had 10 tackles, and a tackle for loss in the first game against Seattle. In his place will be aging vet Roman Harper. Harper is a significant liability in pass coverage. He had over 90 tackles in his past four seasons before losing his role to Vaccaro, so he can still play. "

aawolf

Reaction score
I think we are confident because our strengths can cancel out your strengths, not because we think the Saints are a bad team. Your strengths are big plays down the field with your exceptional QB, big play WRs, and a stud TE; which must face the best secondary in Football. You also have a speedy RB and a good screen game against a team that doesn't give up those plays easily. Our weakness on defense, if there is one, is the running game, which you all have not shown to be proficient at running over the course of the season. Our offense also matches up well with you D. Like you, we take shots down field regularly and we should be able to exploit your young secondary. While you will give pressure to our young QB, we think that a steady dose of Lynch can minimize the pass rush's effectiveness.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
ivotuk":3mmv5tz7 said:
Hawkblogger has a good blog concerning the upcoming game. http://www.hawkblogger.com/

"OUT: SS Kenny Vaccaro / IN: SS Roman Harper

Vaccaro is one of the big losses for the Saints. He was having a good rookie season before landing on the IR with a fractured ankle a few weeks back. He still finished third on the Saints in tackles, third in tackles for loss, and fourth in passes defensed. He had 10 tackles, and a tackle for loss in the first game against Seattle. In his place will be aging vet Roman Harper. Harper is a significant liability in pass coverage. He had over 90 tackles in his past four seasons before losing his role to Vaccaro, so he can still play. "

This would be more of a concern if it was accurate. Harper is not "replacing" Vaccaro in his packages. The Saints have been commonly playing three safeties quite often over the past few weeks. Vaccaro, Jenkins and Harper have all been in at the same time. Harper's role will continue as a hybrid LB/safety supporting the run coverage, while Rafael Bush should step into Vaccaro's role. Bush is a physical athletic safety with similar skills, to a lessor degree of course, to those of Vaccaro.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
AsylumGuido (and any other Saints fan who cares to chime in. Guido especially you I suppose, as I believe you're a native Washingtonian and see the Seahawks on a regular basis). Here are a couple of related questions for you ...

I'm putting you in the place of Sean Payton with this 2 part question, OK?

1) Imagine you're the one calling the plays on Saturday. In the Seahawks-Saints last meeting, did you happen to notice anything regarding the Seahawks Defense (tendencies, formations, situations, etc) that you believe (from your perspective) the Saints Offense might possibly be able to (and will try to) exploit?

2) Related to #1, given the current status of your team (current personnel, health, etc.) ... do you honestly believe that Payton and the Saints Offense will be able to effectively execute that plan?

Puddinhead

Reaction score
I honestly hadn't heard about the plantar fasciatis tear on Jimmy Graham. That could be HUGELY significant in this game.

He tore it fairly early in the New England game in October...the game Aqib Talib got so much credit for shutting him down. He's been playing with the tear since then, including of course the first game with you guys.

Keenan Lewis, I'm highly doubting that if he suffered a concussion that he's going to play. This season, the rule of thumb for the Hawks has generally been if a player gets one -- he is OUT for the game. Period. I don't know if I can honestly think of an exception.

I don't know that his injury has actually been diagnosed as a concussion or not yet. They've said the "league concussion mandates are being followed", but that's technically true any time there's an injury involving the head now...the mandated procedure is used first to determine concussion/no concussion, then to spell out a course of treatment. That said, if it IS an actual concussion, I can't see Lewis playing Saturday which would seriously force Rob Ryan to rely on four-man pressure rather than bringing extra rushers and leaving White and Sweeting out alone on islands. Truth is, though, Ryan probably has blitzed a lot less here than his reputation would seem to indicate. Still, in my mind the most significant injury facing the Saints.

Parys Haralson likely done for the season as well?!? Whooo! If I'm a Saints fan, I'm hoping and praying that Rob Ryan can dial up the pass rush and somehow pressure Wilson. That's going to be more difficult than last time though, as all 5 starters on the Hawks Offensive Line are now back and the pass protection has been looking far better than it did earlier in the season.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Interesting article at Bleacher Report regarding Lewis. Explains quite a bit about the leagues concussion protocols: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1912 ... concussion

Larry Holder the Saints beat writer had this to say:

Keenan Lewis wasn't allowed to speak to the media because of concussion protocol. So he is obviously concussed.
— Larry Holder (@LarryHolder) January 5, 2014

Of course only Lewis or the team can confirm if this is true or not.

NoLaSaints

Reaction score
Hello,

Saints fan here.

Before I participate in this Q&A allow me to mention a couple of things. Like a lot of people, I always read the boards of the opponent's fans before and after the game, and also when something significant pops up - like an injury. I can tell you that while no one group has monopoly on fans that are a little eccentric and rabid, there are fans of two teams that I find are quite sensible and balanced in their posts: Bears and Seahawks. I think we Saints fans are somewhere in the middle of the pack.

The other thing is we don't really have any beef with Seahawks. Our hatred and disdain is mostly dedicated for the Atlanta Falcons. There is certainly some animosity for the other division rivals as well but 90% is for Falcons. Outside the division, we always root against the Cowboys and the Niners.

1) Since that 34-7 Loss to Seattle in Week 13, can you recount (from your perspective) how the rest of the regular season went for the Saints? How did the team look to you and do you have any concerns moving forward?

I think that game effected the confidence of the team and the fans. Some of our losses are slip ups (Rams), some could have gone either way (Pats) but that loss was a defeat in all 3 phases of the game. Why it is also different is that everyone had that date circled since we knew it was a litmus test to see if we are a true SB contender. So, it wasn't like we weren't prepared or we overlooked it.

2) Have the Saints suffered key injuries (or even nagging injuries that might not necessarily show up on the official injury report, but are nonetheless concerning)? If so, how have those injuries affected your team ... and how do you envision those at all playing a roll in this game?

Nothing that we know of. Certainly, you guys know about Vaccaro's, K. Lewis' and Pierre Thomas' injuries being crucial ones, but I think only Vaccaro will be out for this upcoming game. We need K. Lewis, or else Corey White (and Roman Harper) will be preyed upon...or Hawks should anyway.

3) Last time, it appeared to me that the Seahawks coaching staff was able to effectively exploit weaknesses in the Saints Defense and their approach to that game. How do you envision Rob Ryan attacking Seattle's Offense this time around? Can you give us your assessment of what you believe will be the Saints plan of attack and how effective that will be?

I'm not going to try and figure out what's inside RR's head. He may change it up or stick to his blitzes and looks. I'll leave this one to someone else to suggest, but I'll offer some random thoughts on this next game.

(a) I think one thing that we lose when we get on the road is our bravado. Every time Brees plays timid we have a problem. I think we need to play angry and with a sense of urgency for us to have a chance.
(b) We should commit to run game. When you look at our O line it is not bad but not great either so we're looking at our RB's to come through with what they have. Don't bring any fancy stuff, just run hard and downhill.
(c) It seems a lot of Hawks fans are overlooking the Saints. Anytime two heavy weight fighters go at it there is always a chance that one can get knocked out at any minute. This is no different. We know that better than any other teams (ahem Rams).
(d) I think that the ones that are not in the center of the spot light are going to create problems for you guys. They are Colston, Akiem Hicks and Khiry Robinson.

Good luck, guys.
May the better team win and move right along to the Super Bowl!

lsheldon

Reaction score
NoLaSaints":86drkbqj said:
(c) It seems a lot of Hawks fans are overlooking the Saints. Anytime two heavy weight fighters go at it there is always a chance that one can get knocked out at any minute. This is no different. We know that better than any other teams (ahem Rams).

They call us fans for a reason. What matters is what our team does, and they aren't taking anything for granted. It is one game at a time and they are taking the Saints seriously.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201401 ... ts-lightly

NoLaSaints":86drkbqj said:
(b) We should commit to run game. When you look at our O line it is not bad but not great either so we're looking at our RB's to come through with what they have. Don't bring any fancy stuff, just run hard and downhill.

In the article link I posted above, they talk about your run game. They expect you to come in here and try to establish the running game.

Good luck to you guys, I think you'll need it.

Go Hawks

WHODAT44

Reaction score
We have a play-action type of offense. When we are most successful, we are usually running the ball with some success (key word some). Obviously, that set's up our QB, who does a pretty solid job of recognizing mismatches. One dimensional football whether its running or passing is a recipe for disaster. When we can't run the ball, our passing game suffers. I guess it's also the lesser of two evils really, running the ball or throwing the ball against you. Both not easy, but I'd say some (very few) have had decent days running the ball against you. No doubt, the cards are heavily stacked against us, even if we weren't banged up. Can we win, yes, but it's gonna be tough. You guys have had a banner/historic year, (well deserved). I think what it really comes down to for us, is controlling the tempo, preventing the big hole, eliminating the brain-dead turnovers, which for some reason we occasionally do. Both coaches will have there troops ready to play, it's just a matter of execution. Our defense is pretty hammered now, if Lewis doesn't play, it's gonna be a long day. Best of luck to you guys, let's hope for a good game.

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
I know on my part, I'm not overconfident about this game. I've been a Hawks fan since '76 and have seen the wheels come off too many times over the years to take anything for granted, especially against a quality team like the Saints. I do think the Seahawks are the better team but expect a much tighter game this time around and a couple of mistakes could turn the game against the Hawks if it's close. Brees and the Saints offense are too good to be held to 7 points again so the Seahawks offense will need to play better than it has recently.

starbuck2907

Reaction score
We are more banged up than the last time we played you guys.

Parys Haralson, Pierre Thomas, Keenan Lewis, and Kenny Vaccaro are injured. Vaccaro is a huge loss...I worry about this replacement getting abused.

Here is how I see the game. IF we can run the ball and run the ball consistently, this will be a good game and we stand a chance of winning. If we can't get our run game going, we are looking at another potential blowout. Our run game tends to be very hot or cold. If you had asked any of us last week if we were going to put more yards on the ground than the Eagles and LeSean McCoy, we would have laughed you out of the building.

I think our coaching plan will be drastically different this time. I wouldn't blitz Wilson at all...it seemed like every time we blitzed, we got burned when we played you guys. I think playing good, solid defense without a bunch of blitzing might be the best way to approach you guys IF we can execute. Our D has given up some big plays late in the game a few times this season, which worries me.

I think there is a very good chance that you guys win, but Payton+Brees pull out a lot of wins that they shouldn't.

Each year, there are only three teams that really worry me. The Seahawks, the 49ers, and the Rams. Mysteriously, the Rams always give us a headache.

But, to summarize, personal wise, we are in worse shape than we were last time we played you guys. I am especially worried about our defense and run game. Overall, I think coaching and playcalling could be a major factor in who wins. We have to run the ball and control the clock a little to keep our D off the field. If not, I think you guys will win. We have a good D, but you guys are a big challenge that we will have some trouble with, I think.