Q&A w/Saints Fans Game Preview -- Playoff Edition ...

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
WHODAT44":3fkfk54d said:
With regards to Ryan changing things defensively w/ Harvin returning. I don't think so, i think he's trying to solve a bigger hurdle, and thats overcoming some injuries to key personnel. Honestly, I'm not worried about Harvin or Tate, or even Mr. Skittles,,,,my concern is Mr. Doug Baldwin. I think he's a star on any team. He's sneaky good, and always seems to make a catch whenever R Wilson needs one. I think if we over prepare, he's gonna make a play that could possibly be a back breaker. We run the ball with some effectiveness and not turn it over, it at least will be close, if not a win for us. Still, a really, really tall task.

Personally, I'd be a bit worried about Harvin with what that guy can do (see video highlight I posted above). That said, Baldwin is a guy who has a propensity to come up with big plays in the clutch.

Baldwin is one of those guys that not a lot of people outside of Seattle really know about ... but he can be a real playmaker. One interesting note about him that again, few outside of Seattle know about -- in training camp, Baldwin actually emailed Hall of Fame Seahawks WR Steve Largent and asked him about receiving advice, tips, etc. Largent was hesitant at first but then finally said, "Ah heck, what are they going to do, kick me out of the Hall of Fame?" and he obliged. Baldwin has been making a lot of those toe nail dragging falling out of bounds on the sidelines catches this season ... and I don't think that's a coincidence (Largent made a career out of making those kinds of catches). There have been many times he's looked like Largent to me out there, so yeah, he's certainly a guy to keep an eye on.

The Seahawks have quite a few weapons on offense actually. TE Zach Miller is a guy who can certainly go off. He had some big catches against you guys and had a huge day against the Falcons in the 2nd Round of the Playoffs last year (8 catches, 142 yards, 1 TD).

Another guy to really keep an eye on who's been real hot of late (if he's at all healthy) is rookie 5th round draft choice TE Luke Willson. Willson is a real specimen (6'5" 252 pounds and ran a 4.51 on his pro day at Rice) and Russell Wilson has started to develop a real rapport with him and he has become a favorite target down the stretch. Here's a 39 Yd. TD catch he had against the 49ers ...

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...TD-catch/7aa26eda-1b6d-4e45-82a0-e86bcb38bfcc

Two weeks ago against the Rams, Willson had a brilliant 1 handed 30 yard catch that would have gone to the house for a TD at the start of the 4th Quarter. It was an absolutely awesome play that would have made Sportcenter highlights. The Seahawks were on their own 20 yard line. The Rams jumped offsides (and the flag was thrown), so it was one of those free plays. The problem is that the referee (for some odd reason) blew his whistle right as Willson was catching the ball at the 50 yard line (there wasn't a Rams defender anywhere to be seen between Willson and the goal line) and blew the play dead. It was the first time I've really even seen this in Seattle -- Pete Carroll was ticked. He threw his gum on the turf, visibly upset at the fact the referee did that. The very next play, Willson gets the ball on a short 4 yard completion and injures his ankle. Now, it was diagnosed at the time as a high ankle sprain and people were thinking he was out for the year. However, Willson said he was going to play and has actually been practicing. Keep an eye on that one.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Puddinhead":3orri3sx said:
A question for Seahawks fans...and let me preface this by saying I HATE watching a game on TV versus in person for specifically the situation that prompts this question--you watch what the producer wants you to watch, not what you want to watch. You get a tight, ball-centered shot filling the screen, and then maybe after the play is over you'll get to see action away from the ball IF the producer decides it's something worth showing you. I hate this for several reasons. When at the game I'm able to see what packages the offense sends on to the field instantly, and then immediately see how the defense substitutes to counter. But perhaps more than that I hate not having the wide "all 22" view of the passing game as the play is taking place.

That out of the way, the question: In the earlier game between the two teams, it seemed to me that Seattle ran an inordinate (for the NFL) amount of one- and two-receiver routes, keeping the other eligible receivers in protection. Is this something that has been common throughout the season for the Seahawks? For that matter, am I correct even about that one particular game in the first place, or was that an artifact of the "TV view" versus the "in person view"?

Hmmm ... I just re-watched a little bit of our last meeting and I don't know that I saw an unusual amount of that. That said, the Seahawks DO tend to like Big, Physical WR's not only because they want them to be able to beat press coverage off the line and out-muscle defenders for the ball ... but also because they like their WR's to be able to block, especially on running plays. So yes, Seattle's WR's DO tend to block quite a bit, but much of that is by design and has been for several years now.

WHODAT44

Reaction score
I watched the Ram game, Willson is gonna be a star, jesus, where do you guys get all these quality players. Nice, indeed. Hopefully his ankle isn't too bad, I do think we have a couple of pretty decent TE's in Graham and Watson. As for Harvin, he's definitely someone to be concerned with. The last time we faced him in the playoffs, he didn't make the trip, due to migraines. If he remains healthy, and thats a big if, you should have a superstar on your hands, but only time will tell with him. Good luck this weekend.

terrytogo

Reaction score
WHODAT44":1hjkjyo4 said:
I watched the Ram game, Willson is gonna be a star, jesus, where do you guys get all these quality players. Nice, indeed. Hopefully his ankle isn't too bad, I do think we have a couple of pretty decent TE's in Graham and Watson. As for Harvin, he's definitely someone to be concerned with. The last time we faced him in the playoffs, he didn't make the trip, due to migraines. If he remains healthy, and thats a big if, you should have a superstar on your hands, but only time will tell with him. Good luck this weekend.

The last time we faced Harvin in the playoffs he played the entire game, was ineffective, and fumbled in his own territory leading to a touchdown for us.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
WHODAT44":2nv3j4o3 said:

That's where GM John Schneider comes in. Schneider said at the time he was hired that the Seahawks would be "everywhere and in on everything." Both in terms of free agency and the draft that's been no lie. He has been an absolute Godsend for Seattle seriously, as the Seahawks just flat out evaluate talent differently than anyone else out there. Most teams (it seems to me) say to themselves when evaluating players, "Well, this guy can't do this, this, this, this -- therefore, we're going to pass." The Seahawks don't do that. They look at what a player CAN do (his strengths and what he's good at) and then: A) put that player in a position to best succeed ... and B) coach them up like crazy. The GM and the scouts are part A ... the coaching staff is part B -- both extremely good at what they do. I've followed the Seahawks faithfully since about 1978 or so and I will say I've never seen a coaching staff who is as good at "coaching up" their players as good as this one.

Take a look at Bruce Irvin for example. Many experts were laughing when the Hawks took him #15 last year. They aren't laughing now, as he's done a great job as a LB both stopping the run and in pass coverage (the one area people had concerns about). Experts (and many other teams) used to laugh at Seattle on draft day with the players they took. Mel Kiper and others gave Seattle an "F" for the 2012 Draft, as many hated the picks of Irvin, Russell Wilson, and others. Kiper and many of these experts had to eat a bit of crow, as they went back and re-graded them later, handing out a lot of "A's". Seattle fans and the local media has come to accept that a 5th or 6th round pick in the hands of John Schneider is like a 2nd round pick in the hands of your average GM. Where a lot of other teams used to laugh at Seattle -- now if Seattle makes a pick on draft day they're scrambling for their notes saying to themselves, "What did we miss?"

Luke Willson is just another in a line of such picks (again 5th round from Rice). Seahawk fans especially love this -- and I think Saints fans will appreciate this too. San Francisco took TE Vance McDonald in the 2nd Round -- also from Rice. McDonald was the starter at Rice in 2012 ... Willson was the backup. But Seattle dug deeper and found out that injuries to Willson played a factor and that he had been the starter, really losing out on the starting job because of that. Schneider loved Willson's athleticism and the tools that he had, so took him in the 5th Round. Again, Vance McDonald and Luke Willson -- same exact school. One was the starter (2nd Round) ... one was the backup (5th Round). Here are their numbers from this year ...

McDonald ... 8 Catches ... 19 Targets ... 119 Yards (14.9 Yards/Catch) ... 0 TD
Willson ... 20 Catches ... 28 Targets ... 272 Yards (13.6 Yards/Catch) ... 1 TD

HeHeHeHe 49ers ;)

lengai":2nv3j4o3 said:
Boy have we made a lot of changes today. Signed a safety, cut a safety, Keenan Lewis participated, promoted Rufus Johnson from the PS (think early Junior Galette), and signed a LB to the PS.

I was curious to get Saints Fans take on this ...

ESPN's John Clayton joins 710 ESPN's Wyman, Mike, and Moore every day at 4pm our time and had some fairly daunting remarks about the Saints Defense on Monday. Clayton was asked if the Saints have enough talent at this point in the season to make adjustments and do some damage against Seattle this time around. Clayton said that the Saints DO on Offense ... but really questioned whether or not they do on defense.

Clayton: "I just wonder about the defense (and this is where I go back to injuries) - there's got to be a breaking point to every defense and I think they've reached that breaking point. You know, because you think about -- they weren't able to add a lot. Rob Ryan basically came in and I think found that they have some pretty good 3-4 linemen there that they just didn't know about. You know, they had to re-patch the entire linebacking corps. You know, they lose 3 linebackers early in the season for the season -- you know, that's 48 starts at linebacker. Then as the season goes on, they now lose their best young safety in Kenny Vaccaro, they lose 2 cornerbacks, you know Jabari Greer gets hurt, Patrick Robinson -- you know, in that game [against the Eagles] you saw Keenan Lewis got hurt with a concussion. You know, they struggled without him. And now they lose Parys Haralson. I just think they're at the breaking point. At some point and you saw it last year. You get to this point in the season -- 1 injury can knock you down hard. I'll go back to last year when Chris Clemons blew out his knee in the Washington game. That just shot the pass rush. They [The Seahawks] just didn't have enough. You saw it in the Atlanta game the next week that no matter what they tried to do, they were just doing patchwork things. I think that could be the case for the Saints and I think that's going to be the big determining factor in this game, if indeed they [the Saints] have no answers for Parys Haralson and you know, they go down 1 defensive back or 2. You know, Roman Harper cannot cover. That's one thing -- he cannot cover. [after being asked about Parys Haralson if he's done for the season he continues] ... I think so yeah [that Haralson is done for the season], he's got a torn pec. I mean, you know technically you're not going to get any injury report out of Sean Payton until Tuesday or Wednesday, but a torn pec's a torn pec, so I think he's done. [He's asked about Keenan Lewis and he agreed he should be able to play. Clayton continues ...]. I think so, yeah because the fact that you saw him arguing so vehemently on the sidelines shows you that he's probably going to get through the protocols in a reasonably good time. Now, it doesn't help that it's a Saturday game, but I would have to think by Wednesday or Thursday he's [Keenan Lewis] going to be cleared. You know, even when you watched him on the sideline, you know he looked like he was pretty fluid. You know, he was pretty conscious and all those different things. So, I would have to think that he's going to be there but boy, when he wasn't out there -- now you're down to guys you've never heard of -- Melvin White and just guys. Sweeting was just getting torched. So honestly, I think they're at that breaking point and one by one when you get these injuries, it affects you.
Source:
http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9965883&p=1013&n=Wyman, Mike and Moore

So, do you guys agree with Clayton's assessment there? Are the Saints "At the Breaking Point" in terms of their defense because of the injuries?

lengai

Reaction score
Keenan Lewis was the breaking point but he's cleared thankfully. If he couldn't play it was basically over. We have 3 decent safeties and 2 solid corners with Ramon Humber (very similar to Lofton) able to play with Will Herring in Haralson's LB spot, and we can go more 4-3 if needed. Rufus will be in on some plays and who knows if he will shine. They definitley can't make it complicated for him. He's 6-5" 270 lb and super athletic. The D-line is healthy and solid. Sweeting will likely play dime back and he's good, but inexperienced so he can be had. Hopefully he's a quick study like Armstead was at LT. Now, if we have injuries to the D during the game we won't hold up well.

terrytogo

Reaction score
lengai":2n3xcl93 said:
Keenan Lewis was the breaking point but he's cleared thankfully. If he couldn't play it was basically over. We have 3 decent safeties and 2 solid corners with Ramon Humber (very similar to Lofton) able to play with Will Herring in Haralson's LB spot, and we can go more 4-3 if needed. Rufus will be in on some plays and who knows if he will shine. They definitley can't make it complicated for him. He's 6-5" 270 lb and super athletic. The D-line is healthy and solid. Sweeting will likely play dime back and he's good, but inexperienced so he can be had. Hopefully he's a quick study like Armstead was at LT. Now, if we have injuries to the D during the game we won't hold up well.

Good assessment; we aren't at our breaking point, but if we lose one more quality defensive starter we will be. Our safety situation is still really strong with Bush stepping in for Kenny; he's a very formidable replacement imo. Haralson is really good at stuffing the run, but only started 8 games with around 30 tackles. I don't think losing him is that big of a deal. My biggest concern is cb; we haven't seen much of Sweeting, but our two starters (especially Lewis) are solid.

I would also not be surprised if Malcolm played some dime and nickel corner as well.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Puddinhead":17eah7vl said:
AbsolutNET":17eah7vl said:
The only question I have for the Nola residents, is which one of you can overnight me a muffaletta from Cochon Butcher?
Cochon......ptuie! Hipster Warehouse District "fusion" version of a New Orleans original...when the original is still there for the asking elsewhere. LOL I'll send you an original from Central Grocery, or a wonderfully respectful reproduction from NorJoe's Imports. Just remember...only long enough in the oven to very slightly crust the bread, and not long enough to make the cold cuts "sweat". LOL

You're out of your mind! :D

I know it's not the original, but Butcher is absolutely fabulous. The Central original has too much olive spread and bread for my tastes (which is probably heresy to the natives). The other choices at Cochon are incredible. Cuban, Croque madam, pork belly....that place really ruined sandwiches for me, living a couple thousand miles away and all.

Saints33

Reaction score
I should say Saints are undefeated in road playoffs since 2014.

hawker84

Reaction score
terrytogo":2nquzy1t said:
WHODAT44":2nquzy1t said:

The last time we faced Harvin in the playoffs he played the entire game, was ineffective, and fumbled in his own territory leading to a touchdown for us.

Keep hanging your hat on 5 years ago, what you don't seem to understand is, your secondary sucks!!!!!!! we don't need Harvin to beat them... If i was you i'd be more worried about my D line getting pressure on RW, because if they can't, I fear that could spell doom for your team...

Puddinhead

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2chdox1v said:
Puddinhead":2chdox1v said:
A question for Seahawks fans...and let me preface this by saying I HATE watching a game on TV versus in person for specifically the situation that prompts this question--you watch what the producer wants you to watch, not what you want to watch. You get a tight, ball-centered shot filling the screen, and then maybe after the play is over you'll get to see action away from the ball IF the producer decides it's something worth showing you. I hate this for several reasons. When at the game I'm able to see what packages the offense sends on to the field instantly, and then immediately see how the defense substitutes to counter. But perhaps more than that I hate not having the wide "all 22" view of the passing game as the play is taking place.

That out of the way, the question: In the earlier game between the two teams, it seemed to me that Seattle ran an inordinate (for the NFL) amount of one- and two-receiver routes, keeping the other eligible receivers in protection. Is this something that has been common throughout the season for the Seahawks? For that matter, am I correct even about that one particular game in the first place, or was that an artifact of the "TV view" versus the "in person view"?

Hmmm ... I just re-watched a little bit of our last meeting and I don't know that I saw an unusual amount of that. That said, the Seahawks DO tend to like Big, Physical WR's not only because they want them to be able to beat press coverage off the line and out-muscle defenders for the ball ... but also because they like their WR's to be able to block, especially on running plays. So yes, Seattle's WR's DO tend to block quite a bit, but much of that is by design and has been for several years now.

Like I said, it could have just been a result of watching the game on TV rather than in person. Seemed that every other completion was to a receiver positioned such that he and his immediate defender were the only two players visible no matter how wide the angle was on the replay shot. Probably I'm just used to more combination routes than the Seahawks run...or maybe even that is just a figment of my imagination. As for the WRs blocking, I'm firmly convinced that is the reason the Saints brought back Robert Meachem as soon as he was released by the Chargers--he'd always been the WR when we ran one-WR sets in previous years. Big enough and more importantly a willing enough blocker for when we ran out of those sets with enough speed to threaten the defense deep on play action, often keeping a safety off the line to help over the top.

RunMarkRun!

Reaction score
hawker84":1tckwh7c said:
terrytogo":1tckwh7c said:
WHODAT44":1tckwh7c said:

Keep hanging your hat on 5 years ago, what you don't seem to understand is, your secondary sucks!!!!!!! we don't need Harvin to beat them... If i was you i'd be more worried about my D line getting pressure on RW, because if they can't, I fear that could spell doom for your team...

How does the secondary sucks when it ranks number two in pass defense? Lol. You saw Russell Wilson throw for 300 because your offensive line did a wonderful job and stonewalled every blitz rob Ryan threw each time. But sucks? Let's not be foolish

Puddinhead

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1n2c7gyx said:
Puddinhead":1n2c7gyx said:
AbsolutNET":1n2c7gyx said:
The only question I have for the Nola residents, is which one of you can overnight me a muffaletta from Cochon Butcher?
Cochon......ptuie! Hipster Warehouse District "fusion" version of a New Orleans original...when the original is still there for the asking elsewhere. LOL I'll send you an original from Central Grocery, or a wonderfully respectful reproduction from NorJoe's Imports. Just remember...only long enough in the oven to very slightly crust the bread, and not long enough to make the cold cuts "sweat". LOL

You're out of your mind! :D

I know it's not the original, but Butcher is absolutely fabulous. The Central original has too much olive spread and bread for my tastes (which is probably heresy to the natives). The other choices at Cochon are incredible. Cuban, Croque madam, pork belly....that place really ruined sandwiches for me, living a couple thousand miles away and all.

I was pulling your leg....Cochon's excellent for what it does. And yeah, the "two much olive...." comment would be heresy...but only for us older New Orleanians who grew up on old school muffalettas, roast beef poor boys, etc. available at every corner bar in the neighborhood. There is such a thing as too much olive salad, but we don't think Central's is an example.

So out of curiosity, if I find myself in Seattle and want to sample whatever fills the "muffaletta niche" there, what am I gonna have, and from where?

Zorn76

Reaction score
The Saints barely beat an Eagles team led by a rookie QB. They had a great rushing day offensively, but I don't think they generate anything close to that this Saturday at The Clink.

They will fall behind early (again), and it will make their rushing offense more or less a moot point.

This is no disrespect to N.O. and them getting their 1st road playoff win. But the Seahawks are the #1 seed for a reason, and I don't see enough changes by our opponent to make me think it will be any different, outside of a slightly more competitive score.

Seahawks, 37-20.

summersknight

Reaction score
This hawk fan is pure class:
from a cat calling himself tacomahawk
Great topic, I will give you my perspective, and granted it is only my own, but I feel that a lot of our fans feel this way. We like your team, there really is nothing to hate, and that really is why you don't hear so much talk. The majority of our fans respect the hell out of your team, and feel a kinship with you, in the respect that you became in 2009 what we are trying to become this year. Before that, our histories were pretty much the same. Knowledgeable folks know we have a war coming with you soon, and that you will pull out all the stops to beat us. It will be a much closer game than the first one.

Parties on both sides that are trying to talk trash, keep bringing up the same "reasons" why their team will beat the other. We are both very good teams, who really don't play each other that often. We still really don't know what to expect from each other. Soon in the future over the years, perhaps there may be some real animosity. I hope that happens, because then that would mean that both of our teams continue to be relevant. What ever happens, I will still respect the Saints, and the city where they call home, because you deserve it, and I have very fond memories. I hope the feeling on your side might be the same.

Please don't be put off, or feel disrespected because we are hoping to play the 49ers, it is not so much overlooking you guys, as hoping that our dream of burying them in an NFC Championship could possibly happen. I personally couldn't imagine anything more satisfying. We know that Sean Payton, and Rob Ryan will come up with things that we haven't seen before, and that your team will be playing like there is no tomorrow. I strongly believe that our team will be playing like that as well, because there is no tomorrow. None of us "fans" play the game, so the amount of trash talked, or not talked really doesn't matter, just Saturday matters. Good luck to you guys, and as always, win or lose, I will be here to say congrats or better luck next time.

themunn

Reaction score
RunMarkRun!":3p6qoeu1 said:
How does the secondary sucks when it ranks number two in pass defense? Lol. You saw Russell Wilson throw for 300 because your offensive line did a wonderful job and stonewalled every blitz rob Ryan threw each time. But sucks? Let's not be foolish

No, the defense ranks number 2 in passing yards allowed. That is not the same as ranking second.
The Seahawks rank 1st in passing defense because they were 1st in passing yard allowed, 1st in interceptions, 1st in opponent passer rating, 1st in yards per attempt, 2nd in passing TDs allowed, 2nd in 1st down %age, and 8th in sacks. The only one that lets the defense "down" is the number of sacks, which the secondary isn't really responsible for (aside from the odd coverage sack)

Whereas the Saints rank 2nd, 24th, 14th, 9th, 6th, 12th and 4th.

So, aside from passing yards, the only pass defense stat the Saints are top 5 in is sacks... which is a result of Rob Ryan's high pressure defense which is high in blitzes. Nothing to do with the secondary.

RunMarkRun!

Reaction score
themunn":1fxkaqf2 said:
RunMarkRun!":1fxkaqf2 said:

No, the defense ranks number 2 in passing yards allowed. That is not the same as ranking second.
The Seahawks rank 1st in passing defense because they were 1st in passing yard allowed, 1st in interceptions, 1st in opponent passer rating, 1st in yards per attempt, 2nd in passing TDs allowed, 2nd in 1st down %age, and 8th in sacks. The only one that lets the defense "down" is the number of sacks, which the secondary isn't really responsible for (aside from the odd coverage sack)

So, aside from passing yards, the only pass defense stat the Saints are top 5 in is sacks... which is a result of Rob Ryan's high pressure defense which is high in blitzes. Nothing to do with the secondary.

The thing is people think he blitzes a lot when he really doesn't lol. We usually generate a lot of pressure with our front 4 which is why he uses a lot of 4 defensive back sets. The front was not generating pressure last time due to your offensive line which is why we witnessed as saints fans the first all out blitz of the season and were all shocked especially when that didn't even work lol. The all out blitz wasnt even rob Ryan's call it was Sean Payton who told him to do it. I can say we did a good job on lynch but can't focus solely on him this time around because Russell will just do what he did again and it won't be good.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RunMarkRun!":2sg814cv said:
themunn":2sg814cv said:
RunMarkRun!":2sg814cv said:

The thing is people think he blitzes a lot when he really doesn't lol. We usually generate a lot of pressure with our front 4 which is why he uses a lot of 4 defensive back sets. The front was not generating pressure last time due to your offensive line which is why we witnessed as saints fans the first all out blitz of the season and were all shocked especially when that didn't even work lol. The all out blitz wasnt even rob Ryan's call it was Sean Payton who told him to do it. I can say we did a good job on lynch but can't focus solely on him this time around because Russell will just do what he did again and it won't be good.

I see this all the time from Saint fans. Ryan blitzes 30 percent of the time. Not as much as they are used to seeing in the past, but still substantial when measured vs the rest of the league. Also, Ryan relies on showing blitz a good portion of the time, then sending 4. I actually think he walks the fine line of how often to blitz very well, certainly better than Gregg Williams did. Blitzing, or at least creating the thought of blitz, is a big part of what New Orleans does, and Nola fans who say different are just wrong.

I think the more telling stat is that the Saints generated 7 more sacks at home, 9 interceptions at home vs 3 on the road, and forced 9 fumbles at home vs only 4 on the road. Ryan plays attack defense, and at home his noise advantage helps pass rush, which leads to interceptions, and passes defenced. Nola had 43 PD at home, 23 on the road. When you break down the Nola defense with home and away splits, it is eye opening. Without home crowd noise, New Orleans simply does not generate many splash defensive plays.

If anything, the need for blitzing from Nola will be increased in this game. With his secondary depleted, Ryan can not afford for Wilson to have time. In particular, when he suspects play action, Ryan has to be content with giving up a run and target the pass aspect of the play. Seattle is running play action on damn near 40 percent of passing plays, so it's a good gamble. Of course, inviting Lynch to run creates a whole different set of problems.

hawker84

Reaction score
A bad weather game, I love it, ground and pound, best kind of games. It shows the strength of each player and weakness. We can run it down their throat the same as we did Philly.To me the front 7 of Seattle is built for speed,( their DE's and LB's) not digging in the trenches, I give us that advantage right there. Their O is built for speed our D-line with the exception of JR. are pretty big boys, throw J.Jenkins in there with Bunkley we would be stout against the run, I expect Lofton to be big in this game, as slow as he is against the pass he is perfect for a bad weather game. I think we win by a good margin in good or bad weather, I would like it better in bad and keep an eye on Harper he owes the Seahawks one.

Our O is built for speed? didn't know lynch was a burner thought he was a bruiser.. Case you guys haven't heard we're a run first team, other than Harvin and Lockette we have no burners on our team.

I also didn't know that Big Red and Mebane was built for speed either , thought they were run stuffers.. You guys do realize we have different defensive packages for different situations right?

Finally so let me get this straight, you think a finesse pass first team has a better chance in inclimate weather as apposed to a physical, punishing run first team? That's a whoot...

Saints33

Reaction score
hawker84":36wdib9z said:
I also didn't know that Big Red and Mebane was built for speed either , thought they were run stuffers.. You guys do realize we have different defensive packages for different situations right?

Finally so let me get this straight, you think a finesse pass first team has a better chance in inclimate weather as apposed to a physical, punishing run first team? That's a whoot...

I can understand what you are saying but our whole offense isn't necessarily "finesse." Our RG and RT are pretty bruising blockers. Colston is probably one of the toughest receivers in the NFL and Ingram and Robinson are both physical runners. Jimmy Graham is a guy who is known to take some hard hits and stay with the ball also, though he isn't much of a run blocker, our backup Benjamin Watson is a great physical run blocker. Unfortunately dome teams get that stigma of being finesse. Payton may unfortunately be pass first this year but in years past we were always a balanced offense.