Prevent "from winning" defense

Seattle_Stunna_MD

Reaction score
Largent80":pz3ctrlh said:
You simply DO NOT leave the middle of the field open. And it was open enough to drive a semi through it. Terrible defensive calls right there, and extremely-poorly executed.

This ^^^

My gut sank through the floor when we scored and 30 seconds remained. I had a bad feeling we would sit back and let them get the yards. Man...I cant stop replaying that last ATL drive through my head...:(

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2z567ld9 said:
I would have rather risked that than give them 10-20 yards to make 2 easy catches on us.. like they did..

.........and I'm telling you with our horrible pass rush, it wouldn't have mattered. Whether you're playing man to man or zone you still have to get pressure on the QB, which we were unable to do.

So hindsight comments like yours don't matter. Ryan would have had time to throw no matter what coverage we were playing.
You a peewee coach?

OP
OP
Aristotle22

Aristotle22

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2yqbpyoa said:
If Jacquizz Rodgers doesn't stonewall our blitzer, this conversation is entirely different. That single blitz pickup might have been the most important non-scoring play of the game for Atlanta.

I agree,I didn't notice myself. One of the sports shows highlighted Rogers. A great lock unfortunately

GoHawks

Reaction score
Not an X's and O's guy,

but my question is:

Since we use a Press coverage for our Corners to disrupt get-off of receivers and thereby disrupt the timing of the route and make the QB
hold the ball longer so the blitz or pressure can get there at the very least to impact the accuracy of the throw

Why don't we use a similar Press/Bump coverage at the line on the slot receiver or TE for the same purpose?

Tical21

Reaction score
The first play, Browner was assigned deep third. Rule 1 = Don't get beat deep. He got to the spot on time to make a hit and the underneath guy was a foot away from making the play as well. The OC guessed right. It was a perfect offensive playcall, a perfect route, a perfect throw, and the guy held onto the catch. Not a lot you can do.

The second play was a fantastic playcall, and great chemistry between Gonzalez and Ryan. You don't see that kind of stuff to a TE. It was a special play. Gonzalez gave a post look, and Wagner took a step to be all over it. Then right when it looked like Ryan was going to throw the post, Gonzales comes to a dead stop and turns the other direction. Must have been some kind of option route with just perfect timing. When you time it the way they did, it is almost an unstoppable play. They executed it perfectly.

They could have gone press on the first play I guess, but after watching the Ravens game, you know the coaches don't want to get beat deep and lose the game on one play. Besides that, I really don't know what other coaches would have done differently. The Atlanta OC called two perfect plays and a good QB and receivers executed the plays flawlessly. I know it hurts, but you just gotta tip your cap and move on.

Twisted

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2i6wvt1p said:
FWIW former NFL DB and NFL network analyst Eric Davis said he was disappointed in “the legion of boom” for giving such huge cushions to the receivers on those last plays after playing such tight bump for most of the game. He said players play and no matter what the coaches call if you believe you are a top NFL cover man you can’t give that cushion.

seriously though, jeez, Matt was told to do one thing and one thing only, sideline receptions, stop clock, repeat

how was that NOT visioned by every one on the Seahawks team?

maybe just caught up?