Defense

Ruminator

Reaction score
Never would have thought that it would be painful to watch defense fielded by an undefeated Huskies' team in mid-November. Playing against several ranked teams notwithstanding -- and I think USC was ranked #20 but is now unranked. Yet Huskies give up mass yards and TDs like candy.

Last edited:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I turned the game off early. They are going to choke the FBS bid away today. Bummer. That defense is BAD.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Never would have thought that it would be painful to watch defense fielded by an undefeated Huskies' team in mid-November. Playing against several ranked teams notwithstanding -- and I think USC was ranked #20 but is now unranked. Yet Huskies give up mass yards and TDs like candy.
Yeah they gotta play better defense in the second half. That illegal man downfield penalty was trash.

sutz

Reaction score
Would be nice if the defense started a bit earlier in the game, but they did save it at the end.

NoGain

Reaction score
Huskies gave up zero points and hardly any yards in the second half after a poor showing in the first half. The thing is, nobody can really stop the Huskies when their offense is clicking. They can pretty much outscore anyone, which they have done in every game so far. Geez...10-0 playing a harder schedule than almost every other top team, and playing in arguably the toughest conference in the NCAA this year.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Huskies gave up zero points and hardly any yards in the second half after a poor showing in the first half. The thing is, nobody can really stop the Huskies when their offense is clicking. They can pretty much outscore anyone, which they have done in every game so far. Geez...10-0 playing a harder schedule than almost every other top team, and playing in arguably the toughest conference in the NCAA this year.
Thing is, if the high winds weren't happening UW likely blows Utah out. Utah greatly benefited from the high winds, much more than UW did.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They gave up 80 total yards and ZERO points in the 2nd half. That's pretty damn good. 1st half they were VERY bad.
Clearly some adjustments were made.

Against USC, they gave up ZERO points in the 4th quarter.

Turning the game off? What the hell? People are complaining way too much about a 10-0 team who has won 17 GAMES IN A ROW.

Damn, I thought Hawks fans were spoiled. That game was a blast, they left some points on the board, meh. WIN
The Wind and some RIDICULOUS non-calls are the only reason Utah stayed in that game. Plus that dumb drop on the 1 and an easy missed TD that sailed in the win. If you were at the game, you know that the Dawgs could have easily won by 20, and the wind changed the entire game.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
If he doesn't pull a Leon Lett, they probably win by 12. This staff makes fine adjustments. I see a very high powered passing game, a good runner in Johnson, a decent but not great line, and a d that makes stops when they need to, but has some problems. ST is alright.

When you get to the playoffs, it's not Arizona and Utah with two and three star guys who've been coached up. They have superior talent at probably 60% of positions, if not 70 or 75. When I went to the 2017 Fiesta Bowl, it was clear State Penn had the edge. See the RB the next yr. vs. The Ohio State. It takes time to get there folks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, that game was OVER if he just runs thru the end zone. It was really dumb, guaranteed nobody feels worse than that kid.

Side note, Utah fans at the game were probably the most classy, chill fans I've ever been around. They had nothing but things to say about Penix and UW. Also, said they felt lucky it wasn't a blowout. That team is tough as nails. Major tip of the cap to Utah. VERY well coached team.

Also, DeBoer's record as a head coach? 100-11

Yup

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
If he doesn't pull a Leon Lett, they probably win by 12. This staff makes fine adjustments. I see a very high powered passing game, a good runner in Johnson, a decent but not great line, and a d that makes stops when they need to, but has some problems. ST is alright.

When you get to the playoffs, it's not Arizona and Utah with two and three star guys who've been coached up. They have superior talent at probably 60% of positions, if not 70 or 75. When I went to the 2017 Fiesta Bowl, it was clear State Penn had the edge. See the RB the next yr. vs. The Ohio State. It takes time to get there folks.
Well it's 4 teams. Likely Georgia, Ohio State or Michigan, Washington, and Florida State. Washington would be competitive against all of those teams.

The 2017 Fiesta Bowl was seven years ago. None of those players are even there. Did you watch Penn State this weekend? They are awful. So bad they fired their offensive coordinator.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Washington Offense is a good as any in college football. It would be able to keep them in any game, regardless of who they are playing.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Well it's 4 teams. Likely Georgia, Ohio State or Michigan, Washington, and Florida State. Washington would be competitive against all of those teams.

The 2017 Fiesta Bowl was seven years ago. None of those players are even there. Did you watch Penn State this weekend? They are awful. So bad they fired their offensive coordinator.
Point is, there are teams with more four and five star talent. It gets tougher. There's a team out there that can scheme well enough to limit the passing game. Then where do you go from there? The offense can score. Defense wins championships.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Point is, there are teams with more four and five star talent. It gets tougher. There's a team out there that can scheme well enough to limit the passing game. Then where do you go from there? The offense can score. Defense wins championships.
UW ran well the last few games.

Thanks for the cliche response though.